Dragon Age: Inquisition Gets Hugs (!!!), 16 Mins Of Footage

By Nathan Grayson on July 10th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

I hope it is possible to win boss battles through hugging

As you might have guessed by now, I’m all about hugs in videogames. I’d say I’m RPS’ foremost hugsman, but that title probably goes to John, who hugs bears and rhinos into submission in his free time. Even so, the prospect of huggable party members in Dragon Age: Inquisition – which is now a confirmed thing, at least for “some” of them – is tremendously exciting to me. Oh also I guess there’s now 16 minutes of raw footage for you to watch. That’s pretty neat too. No hugs, though :(

I already wrote at length about this demo shortly after E3, so I won’t bore you by rehashing it here.

I will, however, point you in the direction of a huge list of details revealed by BioWare during a recent fan Q&A. A fan collected the best bits, as the Q&A originally appeared on Raptr, which is an Actual Nightmare to navigate.

This bit is especially encouraging:

Companions

• You can hug “some” of them
  • “Major characters all track something similar to approval, but the system has changed to put more focus on what you are doing and what you say instead of grinding by constantly giving them gifts. Each follower does have their own set of goals they want to achieve and if you help them, they will appreciate it. And if you piss them off, they might just leave,” wrote Laidlaw
  • It matters “a lot” who you take with you on quests
  • Solas’ voice is Welsh
  • No Mabari (dog) companion
  • No Shale. “Maybe later. No current plans,” wrote Darrah

Other tidbits worth highlighting: the Inquisition HQ will be enormous, your character’s overall speech tone is “more neutral” except in “reaction hub” moments, you can jump, and while BioWare is “looking into” a mod toolset, it sounds super unlikely.

Inquisition continues to sound solid, I think, though I’m more cautiously optimistic than I am caressing my 20-sided die in anticipation. I have no doubt that BioWare’s going all in this time around, but bigger doesn’t necessarily mean better. Part of me fears that Inquisition will feel very reactionary, like people vehemently disliked aspects of Dragon Age 2 and BioWare is trying to get as far from those as humanly possible. And doubtless, that game was very much worthy of a few frustrated dragon rages. I just hope BioWare’s been able to maintain perspective.

Also, I personally enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins because it was janky and charmingly old-school in its approach. It had tons of unnecessary systems and dialogue options, lots of weird bloat that actually helped me inhabit the world more, not less. Inquisition looks like a massive, meticulously polished production, for better or worse. The original Dragon Age’s quaint charm, at least so far, is nowhere to be seen.

So I don’t know. I’ll definitely play Inquisition, and I’m even looking forward to it. My expectations just aren’t sky-high yet. Fingers crossed for something good, though.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Recurve says:

I’ve literally just finished DA2 and while it wasn’t quite the steaming pile of drek the internet hordes would have you believe, it still wasn’t all that good and a huge step back on DA:O.

That being said, from what I’ve seen so far of DA:I I’m actually pretty optimistic they’ve learnt a few lessons in what not to do at least.

I’ll miss my Mabari companion though :(

2. Freud says:

I hope the camera and FOV are adjustable in the game.

3. Lars Westergren says:

Beautiful graphics, stunning world. Combat looks fine. Dialogue too simplistic for my taste – though I expect important quests and companion dialogues will be more in-depth, it was just a minor quest shown.

I will probably get this, cautiously optimistic. DA2 had some good ideas (politics rather than “you are the chosen one”, urban setting, consequences over a long time period) but failed in execution.

• Emeraude says:

Yeah that’s the thing for me as far as DA2 is concerned, it’s worse than bad (then you could just ignore it altogether): it’s really promising on certain aspects – I want so much of what it intends doing to work – but it never succeeds at what it tries. A mixed bag of some good ideas lacking in execution alongside bad ones and issues borne from a rushed development cycle.

And then there’s the whole audience bait-switch issue, but that’s another matter.

4. SanguineAngel says:

Some of things they’ve said about companions interactions and how relationships develop is encouraging. I mean, they’re sort of touting things like no longer grinding approval through gifts as a step forward when in reality, that was a pretty obvious backwards step in the first place. NPC relationships (not really romances, mind) have been capable of displaying great writing, flexibility and nuance for decades.

I’ve been giving it some thought recently and come to the conclusion that what I like most about RPGs and cRPGs is the party dynamic and the story that unfolds in the context of the characters and whatever journey they are on. It’s probably why I enjoy Mass Effect over many other modern games despite it’s flaws and terrible ending. I most enjoy an overarching story when it impacts the characters in the group and I’m constantly amazed at how many cRPGs keep the two areas isolated from one another.

Hopefully this game is making some real strides in this area.

Edit: On re-watching the video I am reminded of my main gripe with pretty much all open-world games. These worlds always seems ludicrously small to me – areas being squashed together in the interest of keeping the player engaged has the effect of making the world feel tiny and ridiculous. I’ve never minded a loading screen and the abstraction of travel times really aids in a sense of scale.

Although some of the area designs on display are spectacular

• TheTingler says:

Just to make it clear, this is not Skyrim/Witcher-style open-world. This is Baldur’s Gate-style open-world, in short exactly what you’re after – large areas that you can freely explore, but get to the edge and you can travel to another area.

• SanguineAngel says:

Thanks for the clarification. That’s heartening and a method I am in favour of.

I would say I am a little disappointed that there does appear to be some crowding in the POIs in the region demoed in the article. Still it’s more of a general complaint with open world games for me. I don’t think it really bothers many people

5. CKScientist says:

The girl in the title picture has a terrible case of boob armor. A sword or arrow that hit the inside of her boobs would be deflected directly into her heart, which is undesirable in armor.

6. Laurentius says:

Looks rather good, no Deep Roads, no endless waves of enemies, at least so far. Combat seems a bit of chaotic and enemies do look like thay have tons of HP (seriously how many fireballs to the face regular enemy can take). Still a bit too much combat heavy for my liking ( at the end of the game your group of will probably have more slaughgtered humans then usual dragon).

7. Kem0sabe says:

ridiculous amount of pop-in in the video, also didn’t seem to be a priority for bioware to redo some of those silly DA2 animations that are still present in the game, instead they wasted time adding hugs… gota satisfy all those fans looking for their next digital waifu.

• Ninja Dodo says:

I’m curious, when did minor LOD glitches becoming A Thing To Complain About? Noticeable LOD used to be way worse a few years back and no one minded it then. People make this huge deal out of minor technical issues, like we’ve suddenly reached a point where any bug is unacceptable. Art direction is more important.

• Kem0sabe says:

So what can i complain about? Is there a FAQ somewhere i can read?

• JamesTheNumberless says:

You can complain about anything you like but people are also allowed to disagree with you about what is of critical importance and what isn’t. For instance I have a horribly drawn silly avatar and you have one that looks like a promotional shot for a lecture tour yet the content of my comments is better than yours :P

• Ninja Dodo says:

I’ll get back to you.

Seriously though, I’d rather have an interesting-looking game with some rough edges than perfectly seamless generic land starring Bland McBlandface. “Ridiculous pop-in” seems a bit much for, well I don’t know, I think I saw a tree pop into existence once in that video.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

People just like like to show off when they have a little bit of knowledge about something. It’s not a new phenomenon.

8. Fhoenix says:

-They took the ring I gave him on our wedding day.
    -Farewell.

Such eloquence. Obvious leader skills.

It looks pretty of course. And so huge. But I want to play as mage with a hundred spells (yes, redundant, but so awesome) at my command, not a generic party member with four buttons for skills and a homing missile as default attack. Why does everything has to have skill tree and why do they all have to be the same size? Does spirit magic have the same complexity as dual daggers? Same number of ways you can apply it in battle? *grumble, grumble*

• BooleanBob says:

Quadratic wizards were great because they made magic feel, well, magical. In newer D&D everyone is a kind of wizard.

Which sure, means everyone gets to have fun, but.. I totally get what you’re saying. I like a bit of cruft in my systems too. Genocidal Rangers because why not?

9. The Dark One says:

TF2′s Expiration (up)Date, has raised the bar. Simple hugs aren’t enough. No, you’ll have to be able to play RPS, do a hoedown, or join a conga line with your dragoning companions.

10. Anthile says:

As interested as I was in in this game I fear that Original Sin has spoiled me.

• RedViv says:

Entering a watery swampland and throwing around all those elemental spells would certainly have this turn out quite differently in D:OS.

• derbefrier says:

Yup Divinity Original Sin is a fantastic rpg that will no doubt give me a few hundred hours of fun. Then we got Wasteland 2 comming in August. Kinda makes a new dragon age game not as big of a deal as it was a couple years ago.

11. SupahSpankeh says:

I was promised tactical RPG with pausing and orders. This looks like an hourly boss fight in GW2 with less tactics and far less people.

Honestly, why make an RPG which handles worse than an MMO?

• Laurentius says:

So true. And gw2 and many other MMOs are these horrible HP trading, where fight takes ages and you rotate all your skills numerous times even, those most powerfull.

• BwenGun says:

They do pause the game once or twice and go to a top down view of the battle. The thing to remember is that this is marketing, which means they no doubt had a hard time limit of what they could show and wanted to cram in as much as possible. Much as I love turn based rpg combat, it doesn’t translate all that well to people simply watching it as it tends to be relatively slow with long pauses as the player decides what to do next for multiple characters.

• Zenicetus says:

In the early marketing hype, I thought they said there would be two different combat modes — one for “action” gamers with a close camera style and more nonstop action (more like DA2) and another for the more traditional top-down, paused command style (like DA1). Best of both worlds. I can’t remember exactly what was said, but the implication was that the two styles were different, with different UI’s, and not just the ability to pause and give commands in the “action” mode.

So, if anyone knows…. is there actually a separate “traditional” combat mode? Or is there basically one combat mode now, with pause?

Aside from that, I hope they’ve taken a step back from some of the more ridiculous cartoon combat effects in DA2, especially for rogues. I hated those leaping 30 feet in the air attacks, and the way the back-stab skill suddenly became a magic teleport behind your target, instead of just a damage modifier if you could get the right positioning.

• hbarsquared says:

There are two “modes”, but you don’t choose one and stick with it for the game. Instead, during combat you can zoom out until you get to the “tactical view” which is very similar to DAO. You can also turn off all companion AI and micromanage everyone’s biffing.

In other words, if you always want to use the tactical view you can, but there isn’t a menu setting for it.

• Zenicetus says:

Okay, thanks for the info. That should work, I guess… but I’m still worried that the combat style and animations will be designed for cool visual effects (like acrobatic Rogue attacks) in the closer ARPG mode, to the detriment of the tactical approach. We’ll see, eventually.

12. kael13 says:

It looks good… But I wish there was another host for the video somewhere… Getting so sick of YT’s compression completely ruining new games’ more complex textures and meshes.

13. Gothnak says:

My thoughts with Dragon Age up to now… I should have been the target audience, a beardy RPG player who loves Baldur’s Gate.

I played the first once, and never finished it. I don’t know why it didn’t grab me as much as the old 2d offerings, i think i never felt true connection to the other characters in my party, the enemies were uber dull and the story was pretty boring. I also felt i could always use the same tactics to get through fights, which dragged on after a while.

Dragon Age 2 i saw my partner play and Xbox 360 and i never even wanted to boot it up, it looked awful, like a 3rd person action game with repeated locations.

This one looks interesting, what game do we think it’ll be most like?

• Reapy says:

You sound similar to my thoughts on dragon age. DA Origins I put a good chunk of hours into it, but something about it just made me go meeeehh and stop playing. No interest in DA:2… I guess at some point we out grew the games I think, oh yeah that and EA.

• hbarsquared says:

It looks like a mix between 1 and 2. If you didn’t like either previous game, I wouldn’t bother with this one. Bioware, for good or for ill, has a formula they stick to pretty closely.

14. Phantom_Renegade says:

Right there in the first minute “You can go virtually anywhere” he says, in the path which on all sides has mountains or unclimbable rocks making it the standard corridor. You can go anywhere, as long as it’s in a straight line to your next objective.

I’m sure there’s some open spaces, but even if you could go anywhere, that has long since ceased to be a selling point. Maybe we can go to there, but once there, what is there to do?

And yes this looks pretty, but looking pretty, in and out of itself, is not enough for an RPG, never has been. And a Qunari mage, running around without a leash? And with her tongue? And that weirdly polite British accent does not fit a Qunari, she’s likely a renegade Qunari, not exactly Captain fricking Picard.

This is a marketing thing, meaning it’s supposed to make me pre-order. And they show a fetch quest? Less and less interested by the minute. I guess my question from earlier is answered. You can go anywhere in this pre-defined corridor, and what can you do when you get there? Fetch quests!

Bioware has lost whatever spark they had, probably when Karpyshyn and other competent writers left, and now try to patch it with graphical fidelity. Sorry Gamemania dude who tried to convince me to pre-order this after making sure I had my Witcher 3 CE on launch day. But this is looking like a bad, uninteresting game. Still looks great though.

• Kem0sabe says:

I think the last game by Bioware that had any passion put into it during development was probably Mass Effect 1. These days it’s all PR bullet points being checked off a list to be able to sell more than previous sequel.

• Ninja Dodo says:

It’s funny how you presume you know the motivation of developers, or anything about their process. Not sure what games you played but the ME2 and 3 I played obviously had a lot of love put into them.

• Kem0sabe says:

They kept removing complexity to the game systems while focusing more on the “cinematic awesome button pushing experience” that were ME2, ME3, DA:O, DA2 and now DA:I… as bioware put it… “this is the new shit” indeed.

• revan says:

I can agree with everything but DA:O. There wasn’t all that much ‘cinematic’ about that game. It was clearly influenced by old school RPGs. Of course, Bioware started working on it before they were gobbled up by EA, so it wasn’t a fiasco like the later games.

• Kompatriartes says:

Complexity is overrated. A simple and deep design would be significantly superior, since it would have the same character (more thought -> more success, higher thoughtfulness thresholds before any success) with more elegant systems.

Bioware has consistently overshot this, but I’m hoping that they will refine it here. It looks like there is a chance of that happening. The combat looks much more engaging than DAO and yet seems as if it might have more depth than DA1.

But I will wait until it’s been thoroughly played by fans before I buy.

• Orija says:

Obviously using “obviously” for a subjective opinion doesn’t make it a fact.

• Ninja Dodo says:

Funny, it seems to me it’s the anti-Bioware brigade that’s fond of presenting opinion as universally accepted fact. If you think games like that can be made without genuine passion on the part of the developers you don’t know anything about game development and whether or not you think the end result was good or not there is nothing controversial or subjective about pointing out the enormous effort that went into those games. Frankly I can’t stand the whiny and ignorant “devs were lazy/didn’t care” refrain certain ‘fans’ like to air whenever a game didn’t turn out exactly to their specifications and I’m not going to dignify this with any further response.

• Artea says:

Karpyshyn is a terrible writer, as is everyone who ever worked at Bioware. ‘Bioware are great storytellers’ is a myth that’s been perpetuated ever since the Baldur’s Gate games, which weren’t very well-written even compared to the games that came out at the time.

• cpt_freakout says:

It’s kinda one of those childhood/youth myths for many of us, I guess. I replayed the BG series a couple years ago and man, is BG 1′s story bland. BG 2 is much more interesting and it’s good, but it’s definitely not the super amazing epic I used to remember. I think people forget that was perhaps the first and last of Bioware’s good stories, because if you consider what followed, from NWN all the way up to the Mass Effect series, they’ve all been pretty mediocre at best. Of course, that doesn’t deter from the actual playing experience, and except for ME2 and 3 (the cheese was too much for me) I’ve always enjoyed Bioware RPGs for what they are: fun, by now pretty simple games. It’s just a matter of ignoring how seriously they take themselves, since the writers seem to think they really are literary greats. In the end I think that judging Bioware RPGs on story alone always ends up being a path to self-torture, while doing the same for mechanics and gameplay will probably leave a wider margin for enjoyment, which is why DA:O is so generally well-liked, I guess.

• Zenicetus says:

How one feels about the writing is also based on how much fantasy literature you’ve been exposed to. And not just Tolkien. For people like me, who grew up reading things like Zelazny’s “Amber” series or Leiber’s “Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser” stories, Baldur’s Gate story lines always seemed pale by comparison. It was only fun because it was a state of the art computer game at the time, with some nice artwork. People who praised the story line to the skies just never read enough good, classic fantasy.

Same thing with sci-fi games like Mass Effect. If you’ve read enough good space opera — all the way from Asimov to Niven to Reynolds — then that series just comes across as a hackneyed mashup of pop culture sci-fi sources, with Star Trek rubber face makeup for the aliens.

These games can still be fun, but it’s usually in spite of the unimaginative stories, and not because of them.

• 2helix4u says:

The problem with all these new open world games is that if you dont invent a fun system of quickly travelling the world then 90% of the game will be running slowly around. If you don’t have a climbing or flying system also then the running you do will have to be on the provided paths too.

I’m bored that it has the same storyline to Oblivion and a bunch of the setting stuff has been retconned to make it more generic, EA-bioware seriously cannot go one game without unlearning everything they learnt making the previous game and then retconning everything in the series so far.

15. vegaswanderer says:

Sadly there are a lot of wrong things with this DA: Inquisition. Seems like they are trying to avoid the same mistakes DA2 did, sure, but why not try to also avoid the same mistakes ME3 did? Fetch quests? Forced quests without an option to decline being a courier? You are the leader of leaders! Now be a good lad / lass and bring me my ring back…

And on top of that you also get corridors!! Go where you want as long as you stay inside this corridor! And boob armor! And hugs! Yep, it’s getting better and better by the minute.

16. BobbyDylan says:

Dragon age 2, Mass Effect 3, Simcity, Medal of Honour warfighter, Battlefield 4……

Anyone pre-ordering this, please go see a doctor. You’re not well.

17. Frivolous says:

Adding hugs instead of intelligent gameplay isn’t something to be encouraged, is it?

18. Earl-Grey says:

Ah, Dragon Age: Inquisition and it’s much vaulted inclusion of jumping.

19. Jackablade says:

Hugs are well and good, but is there an option to lift an NPC by the front of their shirt and shake them violently? This would seem to be a far more valuable interaction option in Dragon Age.

20. revan says:

Combat looks like something out of Devil May Cry or God of War. I see they do have some kind of isometric view, but will I be forced to control a character from the 3rd person or can I just assign them commands and see them executed? Having to mash buttons in RPG doesn’t appeal to me. Inventory also looks like it will be cumbersome to use. Game does look pretty but graphics aren’t everything. Can’t really tell much about writing from this, but I’m not expecting much.

Overall, with Divinity: Original Sin already out and Wasteland 2 just around the corner, I’m not sure I’ll be willing to spend my time with a game which is shaping up to be ME 3 in middle ages. Maybe a sale purchase if it’s not Origin exclusive.

• daibakuha says:

I think you didn’t watch the whole video, and if you did, maybe you should watch it again only this time actually pay attention.

21. Ninja Dodo says:

Never tried the earlier Dragon Ages as the world seemed a bit too generic but I like the look of the dragon combat in this one (it’s rare to see boss characters that actually have a physical presence and don’t float around and turn magically without any consideration for foot placement) and I’m curious to see how they’ve refined their dialogue and questing compared to their other games.

• Ieolus says:

A bit too generic? How does one judge that w/o playing it anyway?

Its the dwarves, isn’t it. Those damn dwarves in their underground city.

Freakin’ dwarves.

• Alevice says:

• Ninja Dodo says:

@leolous: Every trailer of the original looked it was trying to be Lord of the Rings only with dead-eyed Uncanny Valley automatons and no visual identity of its own. I’ve heard good things about the story and questing but since I have no nostalgia for Baldurs Gate there was basically nothing that made me want to sink a 100 hours into it just to see if the story was worth it. This one seems structurally and visually more interesting even if the world still seems a bit standard fantasy.

I guess I’m just glad they have creatures that don’t move like a collision box with some animation tacked on. That, and since really liking Mass Effect I am predisposed to be more curious about new things from Bioware.

@Alevice: Totally agreed, Dragon’s Dogma’s creature combat looks great – only played the demo a bit but I should really try the full game some time – but it’s that and Shadow of the Colossus, and… ??

God of War doesn’t count because Quick Time Events are basically cutscenes.

22. Myrdinn says:

Wow, that Dragon fight was straight up retarded. An AD&D dragon would DECIMATE the party in mere seconds. Why is it just standing there, taking a beating an moving it’s head from left to right? It has wings right? Why does it only momentarily flap above, only to settle down again to spit fire? I think without extremely powerful magic, Dragons should almost be invincible. I guess Skyrim ruined it for us all :(.

• Christo4 says:

Well TBH i don’t like the fact that you need to use magic users in any game. If they are there ok, but i don’t think they should be a requirement (and i like magic but sometimes it’s annoying).
      That being said, sometimes i wish i would see huge balistae or crossbows or stuff like that which your team could use to take down a dragon (i think an homing bird with a poison bottle attached that detonates into a poison cloud would be interesting to take a dragon down).

• Alevice says:

Yeah, the dragon battle is mediocre, and it feels even worse after coming from having played Dragon’s Dogam, one of the few actiony rpgs (that are not souls games) that handled huge creatures well. A gryphon battle is far more exciting than this dragon. Hell a couple of ogres can give you one hell of a beating specially if you have a full women party.

23. Christo4 says:

I wonder when there will be a game where i can play with an only melee and archer team, buff weapons with magic but otherwise never use it and actually succeed.
    It’s just so annoying that mages are always a requirement… It would be pretty awesome to make a team that doesn’t rely on mages and finish the game with it imo.

24. Werthead says:

DAO: Okay but repetitive gameplay, awful writing, awful story, awful voice-acting (Claudia Black seemed to be the only actor really giving a toss), weak graphics and brought nothing new to the table. Also ridiculously overlong. Shale was great, but beyond that the game was very meh.

DA2: Really repetitive gameplay, terrible level and quest design (for the most part), stronger writing, some pretty decent voice-acting, okay graphics and some conceptually brilliant and revisionist ideas let down by big logic failures. However, it also didn’t outstay its welcome.

If they could combine the larger world and (moderately) greater freedom of the first game with the better writing and more interesting ideas of the second, they could create something really interesting (Awakening actually sort of did that already, and is probably the best bit of the franchise so far because of it). Based on the trailers, they’re instead concentrating on explosions, combat rolls and hugs instead.

Meanwhile, looking at the Kickstarter RPGs (Eternity, Numenera, Wasteland 2) and the likes of Witcher 3, DA:I is simply looking tired, unexciting and generic to the point of beigeness at this point. I know they’re coming from having lost a lot of goodwill on their previous few games, but BioWare need to be doing a lot better with the PR and marketing for this game.

• WiggumEsquilax says:

Your problem’s that you’re looking at this game from the perspective of someone with a tactical mind. Don’t.

Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale are probably dead. Bioware makes party-based Skyrim now. Fortunately, Divinity, Wasteland 2, and Numenara/Pillars are a thing. So… Bioware who?

25. Dave Tosser says:

As much as I want to pretend Bioware’s target audience aren’t the sort of people who’d prize masturbatory video game “hugs” with dead eyed, badly written party members over, say, tactical combat or choice + consequence, I don’t care about Bioware enough to lie to myself.

Oh, and if you’re thinking of pre-ordering this- and anything else, but this in particular -don’t.

26. int says:

I hope hugging isn’t a QTE. I’d hate to fail and accidentally hug myself.

27. Frank says:

You had me thinking maybe Bioware had hired Marc Laidlaw for a minute there. Whew, I still don’t have to expect anything good from them.

28. Dale Winton says:

Looks like the controls will be more suited for a game pad , hopefully they bother to add that option this time

29. MkMax says:

1 minute in…

“Templar bastards killed my husband and stole the ring from his finger, they deserve to die”

…. Is THAT really the “award winning storytelling adventure hook” you want to use to showcase your EPICestest game of Epicness that you are so desperate to make me like after the DA2 fiasco ?, oh this is going to be just *great*

edit:
    “Dragons are so big we changed the way you target them” yeah whatever, they are still a big damage sponges, and can only use one attack at a time, no tail trashing, no using both claws and bite on different targets, for a second i thought they had implemented hit feedback and got excited but then i noticed it was just a special effect of the axe

after that you have the “strategic” bullet time (his very complex strategy consist of using bullet time and have everyone get as many headshots as they can to chip away the sponge, he got like 10% of the life bar with that, riveting, i know)

….. and then half way through the fight the player gets bored and just walks away, the dragon is all “wha?, you traveled 10m away from the scripted fight, im outy dawg!”

30. SkittleDiddler says:

This is looking as laughably horrible as the first two.

31. Trent Hawkins says:

I have a feeling that you don’t really need to be there for the majority of fights. Just go grab a sandwich and your party will beat the demon for you.

32. aliksy says:

Yep. Still not giving EA any money.

33. MasodikTiasma says:

“Each follower does have their own set of goals they want to achieve and if you help them, they will appreciate it. And if you piss them off, they might just leave.”

Oh wow. Just like the companions in Baldur’s Gate 2! A 14 years-old game! Bioware, you are sooooo innovative.

Btw, hi everybody! This is my first comment on RPS, but I’ve been a reader for a while.

• MkMax says:

an old as heck game Ishar (1992) had this npc system :

“Each time you wanted to add a new member to the party, the current members would vote. Each time you wanted to remove a member of the party, the other members would vote (in both cases, a tie was enough for you to recruit/dismiss). If you wanted to remove a member of the party, but couldn’t get the other guys to vote him out, you could have him murdered. But the guy you chose to be the murderer would sometimes be murdered in turn by yet another member of the party who was a friend of the original victim, possibly creating a chain of murders that slays the whole party but one.”

it also had an good/evil system, some would not accept certain actions or would fight among each other, some would rob the party during sleep, push for a certain quest to be followed, etc

and im sure there are older ones that went further than that, PR likes to throw that “innovashiun” word around a lot, it means nothing, all that matters is execution and if its fun or not

34. Cedori says:

The game looks alright I guess (never managed to get myself in Dragon Age series though), but one thing got me, about that dragon…
    So, we have ultrarealistic folliage, animals running around, proper hair which waves in the wind. Then, we have Dragon, whose stomps shake screen, whose flaps of wings rise clouds of dust, etc. And then all this might and pathos goes down to… Um, nothing? When party closes on landed Dragon, he becomes mass of targets with model of generic fire-breathing lizard. This entities do some stuff and damage party, cast spells, then fly away, land in Obvious Boss Vantage Point (is it me, or whole arena just screams of “This is where dragon beating will take place”?), and Dragon with capital D was never seen again.
    I mean, couldn’t he chew that axe-wilding someone at least three times in a row? He still takes that damage people around rain on him, what is the difference between standing still and actually defending?
    This is seriously dumb, and no amount of writing and hugs will make this fight better. No, it’s somewhat good. But it’s not fight with Dragon, but with a puppet. And if it is that way, and can’t be remade for obvious reasons of dragon-killing being not daily feat, then why is it still there? Create some other monster, or, which is better, don’t dump budget in empty dragon-like husk. Amount of resourses Bioware wasted on that one particular fight could have gone in whole new region to explore.
    Although for what purpose, if the most realistically looking AND realistically working at the same time being which can be found there is plain old human enemy unit…

35. racccoon says:

Massive improvement, So much better game play. Nice work. :)

36. ssh83 says:

Gameplay still looks way too easy/shallow if the difficulty they show is the default that everyone will use (and judge the game by). Dragon Age 2 in Nightmare mode was the best real-time with pause RPG combat ever made, but no one picks nightmare difficulty(or they just give up immediately after facetank + healspam fails them). Hopefully Bioware’s 3rd try will have a more intelligent difficulty system (similar Mass Effect 3′s attempt to breakup the content-tourists from the challenge-seekers so each side will get proper combat depth appropriately) instead of another one-size-fits-all attempt.

37. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

…Because the celery’s mass and air friction values are too high and it ignites, turning into a massive fireball that decapitates the squirrel, then levels the mountain behind it.

38. hbarsquared says:

Boy, if you can’t sit through a 15 minute segment where you fight waves (waves!) of same-ish enemies, you must have really hated literally every RPG and FPS ever made.

39. WiggumEsquilax says:

From a combat mechanics perspective, that was pretty much the entire game. DA2 was an action RPG, not a tactical RPG like Origins.

So, yeah, you won in the best possible way.

40. Grillandkill says:

you guys need to play Divinity: original sin

41. Emeraude says:

It all depend on the how interesting the fighting happens to be in the end. Of how invested the game mechanics can get you.

I’m not sure I’d say most – even many – RPGs have waves upon waves of enemies the way DA2 did. In a way, DA2 multiplied the number of trash mob instead of making them bullet-sponge – for the same end result.

Again, I think one issue with DA2 is the bait and switch it tried to do with its audience. DA2 is mediocre but tolerable gameplay-wise if you come from a so jRPG* background – it’s basically a western themed Growlanser. It’s pretty disheartening if you come from a cRPG* one.

*: from lack of better descriptors; I don’t like those, but for better or worse they’re the available shorthand we have.

42. ssh83 says:

3 lvl 50 in Wildstar is you way of justifying your RPG combat experience?

If you think timing AOE in Wildstar is tactical, try timing+aiming AoE of 4 characters while avoiding friendly fire (those exist and will kill you in DA2 Nightmare mode). Dodging telegraph with 1 character in Wildstar? Try dodging telegraph with 4 characters simultaneously with no dodge button (foresight, formation, and backup plans recommended) . If you think wildstar’s CC armor is a breakthrough, try timing cross-class combo CC to chain it up with perfectly timed burst damage combo to kill your first Elite Assassin in DA2 Nightmare mode (don’t feel too bad if you fail 30+ times before you get it right, since it’s your first real experience).

Oh. Do it all without health pot. Hint, it actually helps you when assassin can’t steal your health pot and use it since you don’t have any one you. but you have to play pretty much perfectly and not take fatal damage in combat. I finished nightmare with over 200 health pot in my bank since i always deposit them for rainy day (ex: high dragon in nightmare mode).

43. ssh83 says:

DA2 has a lot of depth in the combat, but anything lower than Nightmare mode means no friendly fire, so simple Tank + AoE spam nullify any need for tactical play. Friendly fire means all direct damage and different AoE size/shape actually have real tactical significant. The increased enemy HP in Nightmare means you will actually need to manage your damage cooldown and plan/gear properly (AoE not actually enough damage). Cross class combo is no longer overkill, but you need to use the correct situational cross class combo in series (combo of combo) to survive against some elite and bosses. The increased enemy damage means you can’t just face tank the enemy, so juggling defensive tactic/micro with offensive tactic/micro just maximize the skill cap of the combat.

Comment on this story