Industrial Venice: Euro Truck Simulator 2′s Public Beta Patch

By Alice O'Connor on July 10th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

You adjust that seat.

I imagined Piazza San Marco and the Grand Canal when I heard Euro Truck Simulator 2 would add Venice in the next patch. Perhaps you’d drop film cannisters off at the Venice Film Festival, or communion wafers at St Mark’s Basilica. ETS 2 and I romanticise different things. Its Venice is a city built around docks and industrial estates. It’s a city for people to work in, not for tourists to visit. Roads, not canals. As someone not into Simulating, I’m charmed by this practical view.

If you’d like to drive past Venetian warehouses and breathe in Venetian fumes, you can have a peek as SCS Software have released an open beta build of patch 1.11.

The patch adds three new cities in all, with the Austrian cities of Graz and Klagenfurt too. I’d never heard of those two before, so I’m perfectly happy believing they’re all business. “Klagenfurt” sounds like it could have lots of industrial estates. Sure, why not? Whatever. But Venice! Glorious, stinking Venice! Venice is one of those few cities which we’ve not only heard of, we’ve seen, and have a tourist’s eye view of even if we haven’t been there.

Video games are usually so happy to reinforce our grand romantic views of cities, showing the same handful of landmarks. How will we understand we’re in New York if we don’t see Times Square? What’s London without the Tower? Euro Truck Simulator 2 doesn’t care. Euro Truck Simulator 2 has a job for you to complete. Venice to you is a road and a warehouse. Adjust your seat (also a feature new to patch 1.11) and deliver that pallet. If you’re quick, maybe you’ll earn enough to visit Venice as a tourist.

You’ll need to have ETS2 on Steam to get into the beta. Opt in the usual way: right-click on it in your library, select Properties, go to the Beta tab, and jump on the ‘public_beta’ branch. More details here and here and here and here.

, .

1. Notebooked says:

Now I’m just hoping for Gondola Simulator 2014.

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

3. djbriandamage says:

I could say Klagenfurt all day.

Props to SCS for continuing to add so many features to this excellent, surprisingly addictive and serene game.

Klagenfurt.

4. misterT0AST says:

Venice is usually considered to be an exception, completely different from its region, unlike cities like Naples which have a lot in common with the region around it.

The area around Venice is known as a stronghold of the far right and a cradle of small industries and small business, and it’s the first big stop in Italy of all the trucks full of cheap wares coming from Eastern Europe through the border with Slovenia.

Where Venice is known as a city of taste and luxury, the area around it has the fame of being a region where simple and hard working people trying to make a living under a rain of unwelcome taxes.
    The border with Austria, a little north of here, was theatre of WW1. The border with the Balkans was a troubled area in WW2.

Also, there is a place there where people were known to eat cats (Vicenza). I think they don’t do it anymore, but still, this was one of the poorest areas in the country, and it got heavily industrialized before dying again with the recent depression.

Stellar Duck says:

What’s going on on the picture?

Am I to understand that the game now has seat adjustments?

That’s awesome. If I hadn’t bought it ages ago already I’d buy it now.

Seat adjustment is my favourite function in DCS A-10c!

6. Scumbag says:

They need to add the ability to swear loudly at the GIT WHO DROVE INTO ME EVEN WHEN I WAS IN THE RIGHT!*

*I may not have been in the right in most cases, but like most drivers I refuse to accept a collision was my fault.

• TWChristine says:

The highway on/off ramps are a nightmare for me! My guess is, either things are different on that side of the pond, or they just implemented it in this way for AI reasons..but the people coming off of the highway, when they get to the through road have to yield to ME, not me yielding to them…throws me off every time in this game!

• 0positivo says:

Italian Traffic better be a feature here. If everyone drives correctly, it ain’t simulating enough!

7. PsychoWedge says:

Cool. I kinda bought ETS2 for shit n giggles and I’m totally addicted now. Didn’t even see it coming… xD

As great as it is it would be even better with some sweet sweet roads up in Scandinavia though.

• rikvanoostende says:

^this. I’d like them to add Windhelm and Morthal as destinations too!

• TWChristine says:

I agree with you..thankfully there’s a mod that covers it: http://www.promods.net/ (not sure if they have an updated version yet, and in my experience it doesn’t work with the MP version)
      Though granted, I’d like to have an official version myself..

• Becalel says:

SCS already announced the Nordic Driving expansion, as the next to come:

While I welcome the new stuff and understand that Central Europe (for some reason called ‘Eastern’) and Scandinavia are covered by expansion sets, I still can’t figure out why there’s 80% of France missing plus the whole of Spain and Portugal. I bought it with Going East as a bundle but it seems that in the base EURO Truck Simulator 2 there wasn’t that much of Europe to drive around…

• Sup Consul says:

The wonderful TSM Map should do you if you want to experience the rest of Spain and France and even gives you a bit of the Baltics, Greece and North Africa as well. The modding community has been ridiculously active with this game and you can make it look rather wonderful and add more to it. Personally I use TSM Map, The Jazzycat AI and Cargo packs and Enhanced Weather 2.0. Moddings as easy as dropping some files into the ETS2 Mods folder in “My Documents”.

The only problem is that you usually have to wait a few days to a week or so before TSM updates itself to be compatible with SCS official patches but the turnaround is usually quick since SCS works with modders to get things up and running.

The idea of being able to truck from the top of Norway down to Cairo is utterly enticing to me. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

• stoner says:

deleted by author

8. razgon says:

Klagenfurt.

9. TWChristine says:

Is anyone else trying out the MP mod and having the time fly by? I just did a delivery from one part of the city to literally right around the corner and it said it took me 620+ hours to complete (!?). I understand and respect the fact that it’s still Alpha, I’m just curious if this is localized issue or one others are experiencing as well.

10. roboczar says:

The reason why Venice is depicted this way is that there is no heavy truck traffic allowed in Centro storico. No trailer truck driver would ever be allowed in, even if they could fit a truck like that down narrow streets only wide enough for foot traffic. Only authorized and emergency vehicles are allowed further than Piazzale Roma, all deliveries are made by delivery barge, of which there are thousands, mostly independently operated.