Now Kickstarting: Flashback Designer’s Subject 13

By Alice O'Connor on July 10th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

A mirror puzzle!

When Flashback lead designer Paul Cuisset announced his new adventure game, Subject 13, through publisher and developer Microids, we blithely assumed that we’d see a new game from someone From Those Days that didn’t rely on crowdfunding. Silly us. Subject 13 is now on Kickstarter. Microids are only looking for $40,000 (£23k-ish) though, so presumably they’ve put in a fair bit of their own cash.

The Kickstarter also means that we now know what the game even is, with in-game snippets to coo. It’s a good olde adventure game, you guys, with lots of wandering around and solving puzzles, with an emphasis on looking at items real close-up. Getting right up in their business.

Microids are being quite vague about it all, saying they don’t want to ruin its mysteries. They’re willing to confirm that you play a chap (a physics professor, specifically), that there’s a shady corporation, that you get to talk to people, and lots of objects can be popped open, turned around, slotted into each other, and generally puzzled with. It is indeed an adventure game. Something about the animated interactive environment stuff is very pleasing–look at this animated gif.

Pledging $20 (£12) will get you a copy of the game when it’s finished (or $15 if you’re fast, or $10 if you’re very fast), which is expected to be this October. If you’ve got $10 grand kicking around, you can even replace the game’s protagonist. Either they’re happy to be flexible with their main character, or they’re fairly confident such a backer would also be a bearded white guy with glasses.

, , , .

1. rexx.sabotage says:

So, we’ve gone from praising and lauding games that incorporate atypical protagonists to backhandedly lambasting the ones that don’t?

I mean c’mon!

There are really only so many lesbian Eskimo midget left-handed albinos in the world!

• Alice O'Connor says:

A throwaway joke at the end of one post is a little short of widespread lambasting, I think.

• rexx.sabotage says:

The question was more rhetoric to set the stage for me to drop my fun, obscure reference.

However, you must admit that the collective game culture hive-mind has embraced diversity to the point of deliberately excluding convention.

2. Jalan says:

The environment they have on display in the .gif reminds me of a dingier version of an Aperture test room crossed with a Dharma facility from Lost.

Not quite ready to back it just yet, despite my love for Flashback.

3. FearlessMilo says:

Loved Flashback and MotoRacer, but most of all the idea of being a Window Cleaner in FutureWars – so I’m willing to trust Paul will come up with something original and fun. Also loved several previous Microids games. However, other than spreading the word, and raising early cash, I’m unsure how we’re helping the dream become reality here – I want to feel more involved in a project by backing it. The video show environments which are pretty standard fare though they had nice lighting, and yes even the protagonist seemed typical. I cannot see how, by October, the 10K contribution would have much impact on the protagonist. If I backed at that level I’d prefer they put my money into character animation and full voice acting. Rated interesting but maybe a buy rather than a back.

4. Dushanan says:

Wonder how long it will be from the end of the kickstarter to the early access announcement.

5. The First Door says:

This looks very interesting… but I’m starting to get rather irked with Early Bird backer levels in Kickstarter projects. When I see two levels which are cheaper but have already run out, it really makes me think twice about backing!

6. tomimt says:

This feels more like a promotional thing than anything else. It’s pretty clear they aren’t expecting this to be fully funded by genorisity of strangers alone.