Let’s Chatter Over… Action Henk’s Toy-stalgic Butt Sliding

By Nathan Grayson on July 11th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Are videogames art? Or are they toys, children’s playthings powered by tech so cutting-edge that it can cut the edges off other edges? Action Henk replies with a curt, confident, “Why not both?” It’s a toy-themed (think Toy Story) racer-platformer that hearkens to classics like old-school Sonic as well as modern leaderboard-driven stunt games like Trials. It’s simple and, as a result, refreshingly pure. It’s just you, the level, and your own easy-to-learn, hard-to-master bag of tricks. You vs other people’s times, you vs NPC ghosts, you vs yourself. It’s already quite good, is what I’m saying, and it’s only in Early Access. Watch below to see me play a bit and show off some of my favorite levels so far. Also I literally die in a fire on a few occasions, which should be fun for some of you.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. TheVGamer says:

The only question that matters remains – Is this a toy-grade game or a hobby-grade game?

2. Goodtwist says:

Hats off to this title and intro, Nathan!

3. wallpaper says:

Dreamcast had a game called Toy Commander.

4. Niko says:

Well, ain’t that a rich kid’s room.

5. BaronVonsnakPak says:

The music at 2:05 sounds way too much like “Sewer Surfin” from Turtles in Time.

6. Shadowcat says:

My request about covering “Early Access” games is that you always return to them with a follow-up article once they’re released?

I don’t even care about “early access” for games I’ve backed on Kickstarter, let alone for games I haven’t invested in.

This sounds like it could be fun, but as with all “early access” reports I’m essentially ignoring it on the grounds that previews just aren’t that useful.

I just want to know if the *finished* game is any good.

• LTK says:

The difference between an actual preview and this is that you can buy and play the game in its current state and see for yourself. It’s not like an Alien or Dragon Age preview that presents a narrow slice of gameplay played in controlled circumstances. You can’t say that reports on Early Access games are not useful based on that.

• Shadowcat says:

I don’t even want to *read* about early access games, let alone spend money on them. But I also don’t want to play unfinished games, even if I have free access — basically there’s not enough time in the day to spend on games as it is; there’s no way I’m going to waste it on a version of a game that’s not already as good as the developer could make it.

Previews are fine, but the only coverage that really matters in the long run is about the completed product.

Comment on this story