Dystopian Contract Killer Simulator: Metrocide

By Alice O'Connor on July 11th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

Walking those rainy streets.

Hallo! I’ve got five words for you this morning: “top-down stealth-action game.” If you allowed me seven, I’d add “cyberpunk dystopia.” I might casually mention that the main character is a hitman named T. J. Trench too. Then, to stop you pawing at me while yelling “WHAT IS THIS? Tell me!” I’d hastily explain that I’m talking about Metrocide. Developers Flat Earth Games haven’t revealed too much about it yet but these collections of words, and them listing the original Syndicate and Grand Theft Auto as influences, has my attention. Have a gander yourself in the first trailer.

As I understand it, Metrocide will give you contracts to find and kill people, and in-between murdering them you’ll need to avoid the rozzers and presumably other people who would like to kill you. The trailer shows a snippet of hacking a police system too, though I have no idea what effect that’ll have. So many mysteries. The murder does look murdersome, and I’ll be broadly interested in most games with prompts like “Press E to pick up corpse.”

Expect Metrocide later this year. It’s the second game from Flat Earth, though their first gives no hints at what we might expect from Metrocide, as it was a crafting & city-building thing named TownCraft for pocket telephones. Here, gleam what you can from this trailer:

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Top comments

1. leighformayor says:

Hey folks, dev of the game here.

TOTALLY agree on the neon - we spent a whole day adding a layer of neon shortly after the trailer was shot. :)

tigerfort says:

Their hackable police thing makes old-fashioned modem noises, which brings me happiness. Probably even more happiness than spending money does, implausible though that may seem.

2. Frank says:

I’ve never liked GTA, but that looks cool.

The color palette could use some contrast, though.

Jp1138 says:

Agree about the contrast: I can barely see a thing on that video.

3. Skabooga says:

Well, if they’re name-dropping GTA 1, I’m pretty much going to have to give this a try.

4. SooSiaal says:

Also getting a bit of a Dreamweb vibe from that trailer

5. jonfitt says:

It’s nice that they give you a warning before turning you into a loaf of toast:

• Phasma Felis says:

Oh, man, wouldn’t it be awesome if you could actually make a loaf of toast? Just set the knife to it anywhere you please and saw off a warm slice that’s soft on the inside, crisp and butter-ready on the outside? Surely this world is an idyllic utopia if such technology exists.

6. jonfitt says:

Clarity is a big question mark over this game. The flash cut trailer didn’t help, but I really couldn’t see what was going on there. But it looked…. good?
    I don’t mind low-res retro, but you have to be able to see what’s what.

Andy_Panthro says:

I’m mildly amused that despite listing GTA as an influence, the characters/vehicles look rather lo-res compared to the game from 1997.

• P.Funk says:

The game needs some serious injection of neon. This is a cyberpunk dystopia isn’t it?

• leighformayor says:

Hey folks, dev of the game here.

TOTALLY agree on the neon – we spent a whole day adding a layer of neon shortly after the trailer was shot. :)

7. jonahcutter says:

I used to spend hours upon hours with Crystal Method’s Vegas cranked up while going postal in the original GTA. Looks like someone else had a similar idea and made an actual game about it.

Still had dial-up back then too.