Mount & Blade: Warband Saddles Up Steam Free Weekend

By Alice O'Connor on July 11th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

Have at you!

Mount & Blade: Warband is so very PC Gaming. Whatever that term means, whichever disparate games it tries to bind together, M&B is It. Or That. Or one of Them. You know what I mean. An action-RPG where you also control and equip an army and ride horses and swing swords and it’s sort of an RTS too and mods add everything from Skaven to Glaswegian gangs, oh, that’s definitely a PC Game. It’s a cracking game t’boot.

You can see for yourself, as a free weekend on Steam means all and sundry can play the full game until Sunday, and Warband’s on sale too if you want to keep it afterwards.

If you fancy a bash, click this and Steam should pop up to install Warband. The free weekend will end at 9pm on Sunday.

Meanwhile, a 75% discount on Steam brings Warband down to £3.74 until Monday. Other Mount & Blade-y things are on sale too, should you want the original M&B, gun-adding expandalone With Fire & Sword, or Warband’s Napoleonic Wars DLC. I’ve heard that both are a bit so-so, though. Besides, when you can mod Warband to join a gang of football hooligans, have a punch-up on the pitch, and ride police cars that are basically reskinned horses, who needs official add-ons?

, , .

1. szhival says:

Mods. From Star Wars, through Middle Earth to A Song of Fire and Ice. New settings, troops, game mechanics, graphics, items… yes, this is truly a PC Game.

• Conehead The Barbarian says:

Other noteable mods are:
      Brytenwalda (Anglo-Saxon Britain ~800AD)
      1257 Anno Domini (All of Europe and some of the middle east during crusading period)
      Diplomacy (Native with added diplomacy features that were lacking)
      Full invasion (multiplayer mod)
      Vikingr (multiplayer mod)

There are many other noteable mods that I can’t remember, so eventually you’ll find something to fit your tastes.

• Chuckleluck says:

Ooh, multiplayer mod you say? Verrrry interesting.

• MistaJah says:

I liked Vikingr before they slowed down the movement tankier and less responsive. They still do keep regular “shieldwall” events which don’t interest me. The RPers own that mod now.

• Captain Joyless says:

Shocked you didn’t mention the best one, Prophecy of Pendor.

Brytenwalda is alright but tends to get its history completely assbackwards – having feudalism in the 800s, for example.

• Leb says:

Backwards or not, I’ve found Brytenwalda to be the most absorbing SP mod of all. Pendor is great, and definitely up there as one of my favourites, but nothing has absorbed me like Brytenwalda.

• rapier17 says:

May I add to this list the frankly fantastic mod known as ‘The Deluge’, originally the ‘Unofficial With Fire & Sword’ mod. It does more than any other Warband multiplayer mod, including the NW DLC. It has working naval battles with full sized galleons/frigates (in it’s infancy but it works brilliantly) and a whole host of features no other mod has yet. The chaps behind it are brilliant at what they do – everything, from the tiniest to the largest detail, feels absolutely spot on – whether it’s the ringing in the ears from the percussive blast of a cannon nearby to a musketeer turning his head away from his musket to avoid the burning scraps of priming powder hitting him in the face to artillery/wagon trains to the artillery system itself, all of it is superb.

Do give it a try because it truly is something else.

Andy_Panthro says:

Floris!

It’s a big modpack of small additions and changes to the main game. Well worth using.

Devenger says:

Yep, Floris is ‘vanilla plus’, a compilation of lots of the mods that enhance the base game without drowning it out in wacky new features, and it’s wonderful for it. I’d recommend anyone intending to start M&B:W’s single-player get Floris immediately; you miss out on none of the base game’s content, but there are many more systems to toy with.

Which reminds me, I should get back into my latest Floris Mod game, where I have been doing nothing but fighting as a lone mercenary-for-hire for 4 in-game years (via the included ‘Freelancer’ mod’s core feature: you can enlist as a rank-and-file soldier with any lord that doesn’t hate your guts, sacrificing your autonomy for free kit, stable pay and fairly risk-free combat experience). Having such a minor – but noticeable! – influence over the course of the game world’s future is more fun than it sounds.

• Coops07 says:

How dare you not mention Gekokujo. Honor above all else. ;)

Thurgret says:

Napoleonic Wars is probably the most relaxing shooter I’ve ever played. Great for mucking about on with a few people on voice chat.

• Glottis1 says:

Yes, Napoleonic Wars is really good and great fun. And it is also part of the free weekend.

3. portchd says:

I love warband, If I eve want to loose a weeks of evenings I will start another campaign!

4. Adynod says:

Napoleonic Wars is great if you like the multiplayer. This is an evergreen title for me, 4 years on (6 if you count the original) and I still head back to it 2 or 3 times a year regardless of all the other titles that clamor for my attention! Love it and it’s kookiness.

5. Loyal_Viggo says:

The vanilla game is excellent, and so is the Warband addition.

But, with total conversions for LOTR, Game of Thrones, and Warhammer, this game becomes fan-fcuking-tastic.

Looking forward to M&B2 which is in development and the new modding potential in that one too.

6. satan says:

Lost myself in the Warband campaign for a couple hundred hours, great value.

7. Hairball says:

This is one of the few games with multiplayer that I just keep coming back to. There’s a sort of charming jankiness that I love with a real sense of scale of the battlefield itself. RO2: Rising Storm is the only other game that really scratches this itch for me.

8. Veeskers says:

Napoleonic Wars is anything but “so-so”, it’s actually M&B finally realizing its proper potential, with large battles where many players command npc squads adding up to hundreds of characters and where good cooperative maneuvering and tactics decide the outcome most of the time. There’s nothing else quite like it, and it’s great.

• Leb says:

I’ve played in some of the communities line battle events, they happen a few times a week with a bunch of outfits as well as reddit taking part. Take those AI armies and turn them into player armies!

It’s not the most exciting experience, but it’s something that you can easily sink an evening into every now and then, pending you find a group you enjoy playing with.

9. TC-27 says:

M&B and its various offshots are to me simply the best games of the last five years – I enjoy multiplayer it all its variants – Hoorah for old Nosey!

10. Hunchback says:

Is this really that good? All reviews on steam are super positive, people have spent 1k+ hours in (even my DOTA record is 985 hours, and i consider myself playing way too much DOTA)…
    Yet is seems so ugly and crude and … ugh, that i am afraid to try it. And i seem to recall reading about some granades problem/unbalance thing.

*ponder*

• TC-27 says:

Graphics are a bit ropey by modern standards but its the only game that even kinda comes close to simulating large* medieval** battles.

Netcode is pretty solid and the single player game is pretty good too (go from a single freebooter to a lord with a retinue of hardened soldiers or even become King/Emperor)

* I play with a mod that allows me to have 600 bots in single player and I have played in some multiplayer siege games that have had 200 players.

**Various mods have extetended the game to cover a vast range of ages.

• RedWurm says:

Yup. The melee combat is average, but mounted combat is a shining thing of delicate beauty. I need to try more mods – currently playing around with the warhammer one – but I usually go back to the Floris Mod Pack, which is basically a huge number of tweaks and upgrades to the base game all jammed together.

• Interrobang says:

If Warband’s melee combat is merely “average” you must have an incredibly high bar. The original was the game which spoiled all other RPG combat systems for me.

• Leb says:

I’ve yet to find a better combat system tbh.

Beside the overly gamey “wiggle your mouse like a maniac” tactic engaged by some players online, it’s truly an immersive, challenging, and rewarding experience that out does any sword fighting I’ve tried in any other game.

cpt_freakout says:

It is, my friend, it is. It is also ugly and often a bit clumsy, but man is it so much fun. If you mod it with Floris like RedWurm above you’ve got one of the deepest games available for our humble non-console, and that’s saying a lot. I haven’t spent 1k hours on it, but it is one of the games I’ve played the most in my life, and ever since I installed Warband about three years ago there hasn’t been a month I haven’t played it for at least a while. Mods are fundamental to a game like this, mind you, because the vanilla version, while pretty cool by itself, is rapidly outshined by the mods that have already been released over the years. So if you want Shogun with a few hundred people at a time you can get the mod Gekokujo, if you want Warhammer you get Warsword, if you want Game of Thrones you get A Clash of Kings, if you want old Britain (Brytenwalda), Rome (lots and lots of Rome mods), and even a more familiar RPG experience (Prophesy of Pendor) there’s something for you. If you’re a very visuals-first kind of guy or gal, which is understandable, then you won’t like to look at this game at all, but I’m sure you can get used to it because it’s just so damn good. :)

• TheRaptorFence says:

This is one of those games in which the graphics and clunkiness not only become swiftly overshadowed by the depth and breath of the game, but in time are almost endearing. It truly is the only game in which I feel the term “Role-playing game” is captured by every element. From the lowliest peasant merchant who frequently scrapes to get by, to the king of a massive empire, it can be done. I highly suggest buying Warband on sale (especially after you try it). Mount and Blade Complete is only $8.74 right now, which will give you the whole series and open up the modding community completely, but just Warband alone is worth it.

11. rayo153 says:

Just started playing warband last weekend and already spent like 20 hours on it, simply amazing, cant believe I didnt gave it a chance earlier. It sractches a very specific kind of itch that no other game does, so stop reading this stupid comment section and go buy that pack!

12. LennyLeonardo says:

This is such a good game. It’s just like the time it represents: ugly, brutal, grueling and uh… better with a couple of mods.

13. jacko says:

Give cRPG a try if you haven’t. Multiplayer only, it’s warband but you level up a character fighting against other players. Has tons and tons of different gear, a lot of expanded mechanics as well. A bit grindy, but you can always make a STF (skip the fun) character and play that, though you gain no experience doing so.

• Leb says:

My entire time spent in CRPG was 90% people role playing as bandits/brigands/dicks who’d lop off my head to steal my bread I spent 15 minutes making as a farmer.

One arsehole chased me across the map because I didn’t know the password to cross his bridge and then called him a buffoon.

14. jeep says:

you should try my friend Marty’s Gekokujo mod, he released version 3 a month ago and it’s really good. well rendered feudal japan setting but retains the focus on gameplay