BANG BANG BANG!

By Alice O'Connor on July 14th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

BANG BANG BANG!

BANG BANG BANG! is a good name for a video game. BANG BANG BANG! It’s got guns, and people shoot each other. BANG BANG BANG! It’s the latest from Sophie Houlden, creator of splendid streamlined fighting game There Shall Be Lancing, Swift*Stitch, and many other fine games. BANG BANG BANG! It’s a local multiplayer game, putting 2-4 players in a wild west standoff. BANG BANG BANG! I haven’t played it yet, but am quite keen to round up a few pals and see about gunning each other down. BANG BANG BANG! It’s out now on itch.io for $10. BANG BANG BANG!

The heart of There Shall Be Lancing was getting to know opponents and predicting their moves, and BANG BANG BANG! looks to have a bit of that too, only with the extra social level of shifting alliances and allegiances. I assume, going on what I see in the trailer:

There Shall Be Lancing is one of those games I assume everyone already knows about because I’ve seen it at loads of events, always with two players laughing and a small crowd gathering. Do you know about TSBL? You should know about it. It’s a fighting game stripped down to the core of striking, dodging, and blocking, played within a spherical battleground. It’s not out yet, still only making appearances at events, but look at how it was at the end of last year:

BANG BANG BAN!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Shadowcat says:

We’re knights of the round table,

2. Harlander says:

Looks cute, but I’ve lately come to find I really don’t like itch.io’s web interface. Not enough to boycott interesting stuff that uses it, but, you know.

3. elderman says:

It’s rare I see a trailer that brings me that close to an impulse buy. The only thing that kept my wallet closed was the uncertainty about supported controllers. I’ve been disappointed that the Sportsfriends beta doesn’t support my bunch of Saitek p990 gamepads. But boy, that looks fun!

• Erinduck says:

I follow the developer on twitter and I remember her multitudes of tweets on getting multiple controller types to work. I don’t know about your specific use case, but you could always ask her at @S0phieH

• SophieH says:

The game supports custom mapping for different controller types, most gamepads should work though not all do (such is the way with gamepads sadly). If you buy it but your pads don’t work, send me an email and I’ll gladly refund you :)

4. Tsumei says:

Glad to see this get some coverage. I really enjoyed my time with it despite only killing bots, and definitively plan on keeping it available on my computers should a LAN event or gathering of friends happen in the future, as it seems the perfect party game.

5. Snow Mandalorian says:

Any plans to expand the multiplayer beyond local play? Friends and I are always on the lookout for good excuses to play together, but we’re in different states. Online multiplayer would be perfect for us.

• SophieH says:

No plans for that, sorry! The truth is things in the game happen ~really~ quick, sometimes a round only lasts for a split-second. The thought of trying to wrestle all that stuff reliably into network code even assuming everyone has light-speed connections… if it’s possible at all it’s beyond me I’m afraid.

6. Citizen says:

I don’t want relationship, I just want BANG BANG BANG!

7. GameCat says:

Now someone should mod this game to include graveyard map and three gentlemen, one always wearing poncho, one holding his gun on piece of string instead of holster and one with villainy moustache and maybe one playing pocket musical instrument to set the mood.

8. Frank says:

Yeah, um, no one knew about it until just now.

Way to remind us of Johann Sebastian Joust and Nidhogg