Another 14 Minutes Of Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay

By Alice O'Connor on July 14th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Friends.

The last chunk we saw of Dragon Age: Inquisition was from an area we’ve seen a fair few times before, roaming around the open world-y bits of The Hinterlands. Open skies and rushing waterfalls are nice and all, but what about stone corridors with thick wooden doors, pillars, and all those castle-y bits? I understand these things are very important to fantasy RPGs. A new 14-minute gameplay video shows the Inquisitor and chums roaming through Redcliffe castle, chatting with villains, fighting a boss battle, and getting into all sorts of scrapes.

I do enjoy how jolly colourful Inquisition gets at times. Lots of purples, greens, and teals, which are the sort of things I’d want from a world broken by magic. Origins was far too ‘gritty’ for my liking, in that ugly Noughties sort of way which thankfully seems to be ebbing across video games. The weird reluctance of game-makers to treat the worlds as the fantastic fictional places they are. Desaturated palettes as a mark of seriousness and maturity. Are washed-out colours meant to make dragons, demons, elves and werewolves feel real and serious, or counterbalance their inherent silliness?

Anywho, Dragon Age: Inquisition is due on October 7.

, , .

1. Megakoresh says:

The lack of aiming in the action mode is concerning. I hope they do understand that target-based autoattacks are the very opposite of “action”. If they do make that blend of tactical and action combat well though, the game might just be worth it for combat alone – ironic for a Dragon Age game. I guess we’ll be able to pass judgement on 7th. Tactical element looked alright though, I hope the in-game AI tweaking will be in.

• Big Murray says:

I don’t think aiming is an appropriate part of a Dragon Age game. These aren’t meant to be action-RPGs. This isn’t Mass Effect. You can’t aim because you’re meant to be able to play tactically by zooming the camera out, which I hope will play an important part in combat.

• Wulfram says:

Complaining about Dragon Age not having aiming is like complaining call of duty doesn’t have auto attack

• Solidstate89 says:

Are you serious? There’s never been any aiming in Dragon Age. Dragon Age: Origins was advertized as being the spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate, and there was never any aiming you had to do in Baldur’s Gate. Like the other posters said, that’s just a foolish thing to complain about.

Dragon Age has quite literally never used that style of combat. That’s not what they’re going for.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

No need to add much more for me, the above posters already made a good job.

I’ll add that as long as the higher difficulties force you more into the tactical part of the combat, it’s all well and good. Different difficulties are there for a reason afterall, to shape the “flow”.

Good combat is not ironic in a DA game though, or at least the first one which was extremely enjoyable in nightmare mode, if a bit hard on the very first levels with party synergies still not there.

I think it’s fair to remember the first one for it’s gameplay, afterall i’m one of those who felt more potential for story telling in the second one if only it wasn’t so rushed. Wasted potential, really, but i’d still enjoyed at least the “attempt” to move away from the usual tropes.

Eitherway, THIS particular video looked very decent, to be honest. Not that a single video means much, off course, but still quite interesting.

• Megakoresh says:

Look at all the fanbois here XD

If the franchise never had aiming and collision-based attacks like in Dark Souls or Witcher 2, that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing somehow. If the mentioned Call of Duty had suddenly become a skillful game with modding support, I don’t think anyone’d complain, despite it “never being there before”.

Dragon Age combat was always the weakest part of the game. Hell I had to install the “skip combat” mod for Origins. And use 1 hit kill trainer in DA2 to be even able to play the bloody game and enjoy it’s dialogue without combat driving me away. You had to issue orders and then wait for ages for the combat to play out until you could issue a new set of orders. The need for strategic skill was the only half-decent thing about it and Dragon Age 2 removed even that.

If the action combat is made well, involving combos build-up, blocking riposite, aiming, timing, etc. etc. – effectively turn the %-ages in previous Dragon Age games into something that the player has to actually take part in, that will of course make the game better. And having direct control over all actions of the party members let’s players mix strategy and twitch skill to have a lot more variety in combat than previous Dragon Age games have allowed. Also compensate for mistakes in strategy with execution or vice versa, or combine the two to take on much more challenging and complex enemies and encounters than before.

Not to mention that autoattacks and number-driven combat systems were at its very beginning invented as a means to cut on the hardware usage of the old machines. We don’t have that problem anymore, our hardware is more than capable of showing a detailed set of animations instead of a word “critical hit!” in the battle log, and there is no reason why that animation has to trigger based on a % chance, as oppose to my own involvement and knowledge of the game.

• Solidstate89 says:

Then go somewhere else. Like the Elder Scrolls Series, or The Witcher. They have the kind of accuracy based combat that you’re looking for.

I like the DA style of combat. So do a lot of other people as evidenced by all of the old-school style RPGs that have been Kickstarted over the last few years with either turn-based or pause-based combat where you simply click on an enemy to attack it.

• Megakoresh says:

I think I haven’t laughed so hard on an internet reply that was not made in a joke in a long time. XD So thanks for that.

The difference between something like Civ5 combat or a strategy game is when you click on the enemy, the damage gets applied with all the effects and stuff instantly and you are presented with the result to make the next move. If the game has strategic depth, and it focuses on strategy that’s fine. But World of Warcraft style hotkey combat is not focused on strategic depth, it’s focused on waiting.

It’s clearly not turn based and the damage clearly doesn’t apply instantly with all effects. You have to watch the timer and click the button when the timer is passed. It’s infuriatingly boring. Not to mention a complete wasre of money on all the fancy effects and animations. And the depth of enemies is of course very limited as a result too. This is no strategy with dozens of different units. It’s a poor blend of micro-rts and MMORPG-style combat system that suffers from the problems of both genres.

So splitting the combat into two fully functional modes – one fully focused on the strategy element and another fully focused on action, is basically improving on the faults of both of the previous two games, provided both systems are done right. From what I understood that’s what they’re going for and I hope they do it well. I can not say that I was particularly impressed by their footage so far though mostly because it is so vague all the time.

• Solidstate89 says:

I’m sorry, but you are absolutely ridiculous. You’re asking for something that neither of the previous two games have literally ever been about. You can laugh and complain all you want, but you’re just simply wrong.

I’m not telling you that you can’t criticize the game, or not enjoy the combat, or any of that. But being disappointed that something the game never was and quite probably never will be, didn’t change. Is just idiotic.

• 0positivo says:

I have a feeling you’re trying to imply that DA 1 combat has no strategy, but simply waiting?

I sincerely hope that is not the case. That would be ridicolous. If someone were to suggest that, she would make a complete fool of herself

No. You aren’t. But then, I’m not sure why you’re bringing that to the table then

• baozi says:

Your comment below is the way I feel about people wanting Bioshock Infinite not be a shooter

• baozi says:

What you said below is the way I feel about people wanting Bioshock Infinite not be a shooter

• Distec says:

It’s not so much a case of fanbois as much as it is that you are requesting weird things to make a certain type of game into a completely DIFFERENT type of game. There are many different kinds of RPGs, and not all of them have to be Dark Souls, Witcher, Elder Scrolls, or whatever. You are just making everything more fiddly and cumbersome if you want all that micromanaging implemented that you are requesting.

Some genres are fine the way they are, and people like the way they play, regardless of whatever technical limitations forced it back in the day.

I can’t really write more, being at work. But yeah, don’t like this attitude. The drive to make games and systems more “modern” or whatever has fucked up so many game series that never really asked for it to begin with. I’m surprised people still make the argument that modern hardware necessitates jettisoning previous genres or styles. You heard the same shit with Fallout 3; “But with XBOX hardware they can turn it into a shooter because that is TEH EVOLUTION and that’s what the old designers would have done if they had more RAM or CPU cycles or some shit!” That’s arguable, and there’s a wealth of kickstarted games that disagree with it.

• Quinnbeast says:

It does sound like you’re just hoping to shoehorn the game into something that you personally would prefer, which is fair enough I suppose. But changing the game to an aiming/twitch based one doesn’t automatically make it better or worse, and neither does it make you less or more involved. It just makes it a different style of game. Most action RPGs often have the RPG-bits relegated to feeling like a bolt-on feature (rather than fundamental character choice) because they’re often made partly redundant by the real time combat elements. So long as you can dodge and time your moves, your skill tree in Witcher 2 is neither here nor there.

Any game mechanism that’s well-implemented for a suitable game will of course make for an improvement, but there’s no reason to think that adding a crosshair is miraculously going to make the game a winner.

• Megakoresh says:

It’s just gonna make sure they don’t waste money on animations, effects, running around, as well as make sure time is not waste by players waiting for the order execution. There’s no micromanagement in the game and it’s autoattack and hotkey-based combat means that the actual game happens during the pause phase when issuing orders.

After that the combat plays out until you have to give orders again, resulting in unnecessary downtime during the order execution, when player can’t do anything. Adding action mode to add interaction and meaning to that phase of combat would make the game better, because it doesn’t take away from the depth and importance of strategy and it does add depth and importance to execution of commands.

Else they might as well just make combat turn-based or have time fast forwarding. There’s no reason to watch the animations play out, if your interaction isn’t needed. It’s why I don’t like “games” like for example Max Payne 3. I don’t play games to watch. I play games to play, the less interaction I have the less of a game that game is. If that even makes sense to you…

• SpectralThundr says:

Pause and play CRPG’s along the lines of Baldur’s Gate or Icewind Dale obviously aren’t your cup of tea. So instead of trying to change CRPG’s like that to suit your taste, why not just avoid them and play RPG’s more to your liking?

2. Orija says:

It looks friggin’ ridiculous, from the dialogue, the animations to the MMO combat, and not in a good way. I can’t believe Bioware can bungle up so hard when they’ve given us stuff like Mass Effect and KOTOR. They clearly have the talent why are they then failing one after the other ever since DAII?

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Couldn’t agree more, though I would personally have put NWN1 and Jade Empire as the beginning of the end (two games I disliked heartily). KOTOR I thought was great, but then the “awesome button” attitude to design (which I do believe they actually coined?) seemed to kick in thereafter.

• Kem0sabe says:

I agree that KotOR was a fun rpg but the combat was even more pop-a-mole than any of the DA games, very simplistic, few abilities, little tactical depth to it. Story was better than anything Bioware has written recently tho.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Agree entirely, I wouldn’t put KOTOR among the greats. Very good for children, though. I have often recommended it to children in the 10-14 age range, and they seem to get along very well with it.

• Amikae says:

What a horrible thing to say. None of the new generation Bioware games can hold a candle to KOTOR in any way, especially gameplay. But hey, I guess it’s the cool thing to say, right?

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

What do you mean horrible thing to say, I said I liked KOTOR but the combat gameplay wasn’t brilliant! I liked the game, and I think it’s especially good as an introduction to RPGs for children or young teenagers who don’t want to jump into something more complicated.

As for modern Bioware games, well, I don’t care for them myself.

• Amikae says:

Something more complicated like what? Is this a middle school for gamers or something?

KOTOR is a stellar game and it’s difficulty is sufficient. It’s point is not to challenge our vast RPG knowledge, but to let us experience the best narrative in gaming coupled with enjoyable gameplay, that is fair to new players and veterans alike. And here you are disrespecting it. Elitist much?

• Kem0sabe says:

KotOR is now the “best narrative in gaming”? Low standards that.

• P.Funk says:

Perhaps “one of the most compelling narratives” would be a more appropriate statement? Sometimes a story and the setting and the ‘feeling’ capture you. More than any other star wars game it made me feel like I was experiencing a Jedi story from the inside.

Also, considering the story is infinitely better than what was presented to us in a contemporary trilogy that cost a baffling amount of money I’d say that having one of gamings best narratives being better than one of film’s most expensive trilogies is not half bad.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

KOTOR 2.

• Kem0sabe says:

Agree, in terms of SW games, KotOR 2 is leagues ahead of anything shown in KotOR. In terms of RPG’s, many games have had better characters, better characterization, better writing.

Still KotOR was a fun game regardless, and much better than pretty much anything Bioware has done since.

• Asurmen says:

Story and writing were good/great, can’t remember what the voice acting was like, but neither of the KoToRs’ combat was anything to write home about (although I love pen and paper 3rd/3.5 ed D&D combat. Go figure).

• pancakeru says:

“In terms of RPG’s, many games have had better characters, better characterization, better writing”

Can you provide some examples? I’d love to be proven wrong, but in the last 10-12 years I have seen nothing that approaches Kotor I & II in terms of writing – specifically the characters. They were written superbly. Even the voice acting was very much up there with the best in at least a decade. Not that it is much of an achievement considering writing and voice acting have been what seem to be afterthoughts in modern game development.

The only thing I can think of right now that was in the same league would be the witcher 2. Some hated it apparently, but I thought that had a superb, branching storyline that really felt like it had been crafted with care.

• Solidstate89 says:

Jade Empire was the beginning of the end for Bioware? Well you can just go straight to hell. Sir.

• Jackablade says:

The cad!

I believe I shall demand to meet him on the field of honour at dawn.

• Napoleon15 says:

I actually think NWN is kind of under rated in many respects. I can understand why some people don’t like it, and the fact that it came on the heels of something so brilliant as Baldur’s Gate 2 etc doesn’t quite do it any favours, but I think it works very well on the sum of all its parts. It took two expansions packs to really bring out the best in it, but there was a lot of atmosphere about the game, and at the time, I found it great to see the Forgotten Realms setting brought to life in 3d. I spent many a late night with friends playing through some rather good modules cooked up by other players, and I struggle to think of something else that’s provided such a good online RPG experience that doesn’t involve being an MMO.

So yeah. Sure, the original campaign was kind of bland, and even the expansion packs lacked the depth of stuff like Baldur’s Gate, and the small party size limited the tactical depth of combat, but when you throw everything together. I’d argue it’s still a pretty damn good game. I can remember a lot of the more hardcore fans of the infinity engine games being unimpressed because it couldn’t match up to stuff like Baldur’s Gate or Icewind Dale, but well, history has kind of been kind to it when you compare it to Bioware’s later games.

• Myrdinn says:

My biggest gripe with the post-IE games was the frigging Aurora Engine. I HATED how limiting it always was to movement ever since NWN1 and KotOR. Heck, the biggest flaw of the Witcher 1 is it’s horrible Aurora engine. I think if they’d improved on the Infinity Engine instead of focussing on AE we’d have a bunch more classics. This excludes Jade Empire by the way, as the engine fitted that pretty dang well.

• ukpanik says:

At least they let us know what doors are for and where da loot is at.

3. WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

The art design, dialogue and game mechanics just seem so…turgid. I know that many, many people like the genre best described as “Bioware games” (ME and DA), so I won’t be too critical as I know they may like this sort of thing, but as far as I’m concerned there’s no aspect of action-cRPG development that CDProjekt (and even smaller developers like Larian) haven’t surpassed Bioware on these days, from art to writing to world design to player agency.

Then again I said the same about NWN1 twelve years ago, so whatever Bioware’s doing, it clearly does sell.

• Big Murray says:

Must disagree with you … CDProjekt can’t write a game to save their life. The writing and voice-acting in The Witcher series is a terrible load of tosh.

At least Dragon Age has characters I can remember.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Not Vernon Roche? Not Dethmold? Not Foltest, or Henselt, or Iorveth, or Dandelion, or Zoltan? That’s just from 2, there were probably even more from 1. Heck, I would have said that the Reverend in TW1 chapter 1 is a more interesting character than anyone in any Dragon Age game.

I just don’t like the language or the characterisation employed by Bioware. Several of their writers are ex-fanfic writers, and it really, really shows. Cardboard, 2d cutout characters with simple motivations who speak in modern vernacular English without even a pretense towards phrasing things in a way that sounds idiomatic, beyond simply hiring English voice talent. It’s just very…50 shades of Grey (which alas I have indeed read), if you see what I’m getting at.

• Archonsod says:

The only character I really remember from either game was Geralt. Apart from that there was the Sorceress woman who turned up in both (Triss?) a dwarf who liked gambling and a bard type who liked women. Couldn’t tell you their names though. So I can see where he’s coming from. I wouldn’t say Bioware were good writers by any stretch, but I’d still put them leaps and bounds ahead of CDProjekt.

Admittedly, not read any of the Witcher novels it’s based off, so it may well just be the license that’s dragging them down.

• Myrdinn says:

At least the Witcher games did world building much, much, much better than Dragon Age. Biggest gripe with DA is the extremely uninteresting and ‘gamey’ world filled with fantasy tropes and clichés.

• Asurmen says:

That’s funny, because buggered if I can remember the names of characters from DA:O, other than Shale, Alisair and Morrigan. Neither PCs or NPCs spring to mind.

Although I have only just finished Witcher 1 so it’s not exactly fair to compare.

• Arglebargle says:

Some of this may be problems with the English voice acting (in Witcher 1). I played it in the original Polish, with subtitles. Trying it out in English, I was pretty aghast at the quality. Even the redone version didn’t compare at all.

• Orija says:

Donno what you’re talking about, The Witcher games have some of the best writing I’ve seen in video games in quite some time.

• pancakeru says:

That is suprising, I found the Witcher 2 quite compelling. Can you give some examples of games in the last 10 years that did it better? I struggle to think of any. I feel like we’ve been in a decade long drought as far as well written games go and the witcher 2 was one of the only games of any genre that really sucked me into the world and the plot.

• JFS says:

It does sell, yeah, but NWN wasn’t really a good game. The editor/multiplayer part was innovative, but even that was less than advertised.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

That’s what I was saying, I disliked NWN1 heartily.

• JFS says:

Yes, but to me it sounded like you didn’t really trust yourself with that assessment, so I wanted to give out a little support :) Maybe I misunderstood you.

• 2late2die says:

Okay, what the heck was wrong with NWN1? It was a good RPG. I mean, yeah in comparison to today’s RPGs it’s probably weak, but at the time it was a lot of fun, good gameplay. Not to mention the awesome editor and all the great stuff people came up with.

• 0positivo says:

Oh man, I still remember the first time I played NWN. I was young, had started playing D&D barely a few months earlier, and I saw this thing on the shelf, and thought, “It’s D&D the videogame!”

It was close. I still remember how AMAZED I was at the torches. The lighting in general in that game completely blew me away at the time. I remember, I was away from town for christmas, so I had to wait to play it, and I would just open the manual and look at the black & White picture of the guy with the torch

4. almostDead says:

Hmmmm. Janky, I’ll go with janky.

Looking forward to the 94% PC Gamer review.

• P.Funk says:

For whatever reason I really hate that word. It has no poetry to it.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I think that’s the point.

• P.Funk says:

I dunno, I’ve always felt that the slum youth of the British Isles were pretty good at having a bit of poetry in their slurs compared to North America.

Janky just feels inarticulate compared to that wonderful colloquial bilge.

• thebigJ_A says:

“Janky” isn’t an American ‘slum youth’ slur. Or even a particularly American slur.

Or even, really, a slur.

5. Kem0sabe says:

The gameplay, even more decline than i expected. The dialogue, combat, interface… kept expecting the characters to use cover mechanics and pop up to shoot their magic missiles.

6. WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Sorry to spam the comments section, but one more thing: Where’s the damn inquisition? I expected red robes, torture wheels and heresy-stamping. At the very least I might have expected some inquiring to be taking place at some juncture.

(As a side note, how amazing would an RPG set during the Spanish inquisition be? Or, on a related note, an RPG where you play a Space Marine inquisitor, stamping out heresy from the Imperium of Man? FUND IT)

• phelix says:

Well duh, you’re being set up not to expect it. Because, who does?

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Halfway through, Bioware kill off your party and replace them with Ximenez, Biggles and Fang. That’s where the game gets good.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Get Dan Abnett to write the Inquisition (though they are technically not Space Marines) game and I would break my screen throwing money at it.

Too bad Games Workshop are determined to waste their licenses when it comes to video games.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

So would I. Why does GW give it’s licenses away to all and sundry? :( I know Rome 2 sucked, but lets hope the rumoured Total Warhammer (fantasy, that is) turns out well. SIGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

• LuNatic says:

This so much. Rereading the Inquisition series at the moment. How is this guy not as popular as George R R Martin?

• staberas says:

Im definitely sure when they do the inquisition NOBODY WILL EXPECT IT!

7. Auru says:

It’s like they forgot they made Dragon Age: Origins :(

I really want this game to be good, for all the flaws in bioware rpg’s .. I have enjoyed them for a long time, I want a new.. good one.

I don’t think this is going to be it though :(

• Ender7 says:

Because the good talent left bioware and all that is left is corp shills. Not only the doctors left, but others like Brent Knowles left specifically because of the direction the company was headed. You can read it in his own words here: http://blog.brentknowles.com/2010/08/15/bioware-brent-year-10-fall-2008-summer-2009/

The ones like Mike Laidlaw (mr awesome button) who says he hates old school RPG’s and David Gaiden who has made it perfectly clear that he is way more interested in putting his own personal political ideology into every game than making a good game, are the ones running the show now. Is it a wonder why EAware is like it is now?

8. melnificent says:

If they keep releasing this amount of new footage before release we’ll soon have a “lets play” video of the entire thing.

• MkMax says:

they are probably gauging reactions, maybe hoping to catch something that can be fixed with a patch or DLC ? or they might just be probing for DLC ideas.

Bioware has been very nervous about this game since the beginning of development when they seemed to have no idea what the heck they wanted to make or what caused DA2 to fail

9. Rolento says:

Are NPCs going to be cemented to the spot? That’s what i want to know….. and i think i already can guess the answer….

• SpectralThundr says:

It’s a Bioware game, of course the NPC’s will be cemented on the spot, and have the same dialog throughout. Living breathing worlds is not something Bioware does well, nor have they ever done that well. Cliche tropes on the other hand, and pushing progressive agendas? They do that in spades.

10. Laurentius says:

I was mildly interested after these gameplay traileres, but then last week I started playing Divinity:Original Sin and that made me realize that I actually don’t want play these cinematic-crpgs, be it Dragon Age or Witcher. D:OS is great and it’s obvious it will took great chunk of my playing time so i will calmly settle to wait for Pillars of Eternity and Numenera.

• RedViv says:

What? Being reasonable and enjoying different things without whining? What a FAKE GAM0r!!1

• Tayh says:

That’s basically where I am now.
      Used to be a huge Bioware fanboy.
      Now, in a world of Wasteland 2, Tides Of Numenera, Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin, I find myself caring less and less about the next console-y action-rpg Bioware’s going to release.

• nrvsNRG says:

I was gonna comment the exact same thing.
      I’m sooooo sick of cinematic bullshit in games. Its crap, and always was crap.
      Still gonna be playing TW3 but I’m luving D:OS so much, and so lookin forward to more like it.

11. Big Murray says:

While seeing people crying about how much this sucks is amusing … I’m quite excited by how good this looks, once you ignore that for some reason they’re showing off the console version of the game. Very good potential, let’s just see what happens.

• Orija says:

Yea, screw the whiners, the crybabies, the haters, the trolls, the entitled brats, right? I mean, who gives a fuck about someone who doesn’t have anything positive to say about the game I love?

• Pich says:

God forbid people criticize things you like.

• Big Murray says:

I don’t recall people saying they couldn’t criticise things I like? I said I find it amusing.

Let’s be honest, if this wasn’t a Bioware game then would the footage be receiving the number of derogatory comments it is? I doubt it. And that’s what I find amusing.

• green frog says:

Yes, exactly. You could take 15 minutes of footage from any game ever made, and as long as you slapped a BioWare logo on it these guys could come up with 100 reasons to despise it. There’s heavy prejudice against BioWare around here. People are quite literally looking for something to justify hating this game. Few seem willing to give it a chance at all. It’s sad.

I do hope Inquisition is good, but we can’t say for sure if it will be until the game is out. I’m looking forward to the RPS Wot I Think, but not to the inevitable foaming at the mouth by the haters if the WIT is positive. Some people do so hate to be wrong, they’d rather accuse RPS of being a bunch of liars and sellouts than admit their hate for a game was misplaced.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Showing stuff with a controller, even FPS games, is pretty much sadly “expected” nowadays in the AA industry even if the game itself is running on PC.

Something about that smooth camera panning, the nice and slow feel of it that for some reason most presenters will claim that’s impossible to replicate otherwise.

• Big Murray says:

Indeed. I’m just glad that as a PC user I’ll never have to play the combat from that god awful third-person view and can zoom out to tactical and do things properly. Though I do worry that the combat will be dumbed down as a result of pandering to the former crowd.

12. RPSDwarf says:

Well, at least we already have Divinity Original Sin. Let’s wait a bit more for Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity and Numenera.
    They turned Dragon Age into a arpg… That sucks. The first already had to many cut-scenes, but at least you still had some “old school” feel in the combat, more or less…

• Big Murray says:

Nobody buys a Bioware game for the combat anymore, I don’t think. Just like nobody’s going to be buying Divinity: Original Sin for the story. Different strengths for different games.

13. Earl-Grey says:

I can’t help but feel that this looks like an ungodly mess of systems and styles.
    To me it seems like a game that wants to be to many things and failing at every turn.
    Like butter scraped over too much bread, if you will.
    -except the butter has garlic in it and the bread is stuffed with raisins…or something.

Tactical planning, numbers, stats and real time hack and slash inspired fighting presented with an awfull flurry of mismatched colours and animations topped up with a user interface that crumbles under the weight of the task set before it.
    Just look at what happens when enemies start spawning around the party.
    The screen is drowned in stuff like explosions, all manner of strange colours, gauges, pop-up numbers and reticules.
    Makes my head spin.

I keep mentioning the colours in this game, I can’t put my finger on it but there is something off about them.
    They reminds me of those Microsoft Game Studios games, Dungeon Siege, that looked like they were designed in Excel.
    -shit, that is, they looked like shit with crayons in them.

• Harlander says:

Did you eat some crayons so you’d be prepared to make that comparison?

• Earl-Grey says:

As a matter of fact I’ve had quite the palette come out my backside.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Nice to know. We do appreciate educated opinions.

14. LuNatic says:

Why do they go to the trouble of making such a nice looking game, and then just fill it with angsty over-dramatised soap opera BS? Seriously, EAware is floating in cash, is it so hard to hire a writer who can actually write?

• MkMax says:

Bioware has been writing characters like “emo woman who is emo” for a long long time, way before EA

15. Christo4 says:

I hope that in this one you can have an all non-magic party and succeed. In the others i didn’t really like mages but you couldn’t play without them either…

• Christo4 says:

Also, one thing that does annoy me in this game is that abilities seem to be way too flashy.
      I mean, you don’t have to spin your staff 3 times just to release a lightning blast or whatever….

• jack4cc says:

I’m rather worried, flashing colors all over the place, and quick character switching and abilities that seem to make this more of an arcade-ish button mashing combat experience than tactical combat

• Christo4 says:

Yeah, compared to the first at least it seems a lot less tactical, more action-oriented

• Solidstate89 says:

Did you even really play the first? How does it look any less tactical? You can freeze the gameplay, zoom out, and issue commands in logical order. Also, I prefer the “flashiness” of the staff twirls then compared to the first game where your character just waves your hands in the air until your bar fills and you can cast your spell.

Also, to the poster above, what the hell is the problem with switching between party members? What problem is there with that? That – again – is something they’ve had since the very original Dragon Age. That is literally not new.

• Christo4 says:

Yeah i did play the first and it seemed to be more tactical to me because most spells had different effects and you had to combine them.
            Here it seems that it’s all spam every spell that’s not on cooldown.

• Solidstate89 says:

He…was combining spells. You did notice he was using spells to cause shatter after he freezed his opponents in place, right?

It’s only 14 minutes of gameplay. To say right now that it’s tactically shallow compared to the first is just a judgement made in ignorance – because we don’t have all of the facts. From what little I’ve seen, using combo spells still definitely exists. We just have to see how extensive the system actually is.

• Christo4 says:

I didn’t say it is more shallow i said it SEEMS more shallow. I agree that you can’t really tell until you see how it plays.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Can’t say much until we see some footage of party wipes when playing with the fancy action mode in a nightmare playthrough.

• Koozer says:

I love mages, but I wish it would make a non-magic party feasible too. In DA:O two of my party slots were non-negotiable if I wanted to actually get anywhere.

• Christo4 says:

Yeah, i think i’ll try soon enough a non-mage party to see how it works, though i won’t dare to try a higher difficulty than normal.

• Tayh says:

I used the Combat Tweaks mod(http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/354/?), set the difficulty to Nightmare and was perfectly able to play without any mages. Well, I did bring Wynne as a badass, heavy-armor&shield wielding spirit mage tank for a dragon boss battle or two. She was basically a paladin: tons of sustainable buffs, no actual mana left for casting spells.

16. Pich says:

I like how the people that imprisoned and tortured whatsherface let her keep her armor. How considerate

• Koozer says:

I liked the part where she strangled a guy who was wearing full armour, including a mail coif, to death with her legs, while she was wearing huge, unwieldy plate boots.

• Horg says:

I liked the bit after the strangling where the protagonist chose one quip from the chat wheel and said something completely different.

• Tuhalu says:

And while he was holding a dagger and could have easily stabbed her repeatedly over his shoulder? It was a little much.

• Drake Sigar says:

Thighs of steel.

• Asurmen says:

Looked like she broke his neck to me.

• Turkey says:

I hope that scene is just in there cause someone on the team had recently seen Goldeneye.

• brgillespie says:

They were also considerate enough to allow her to apparently apply lip gloss before the physical festivities began.

• Solidstate89 says:

That’s what bugged me the most about that scene. Apparently applying lip gloss is a new torture method I wasn’t aware of.

17. Turkey says:

The Elderanian Oldlich Ones are coming! Quickly! Hide your award winning storytelling award!

18. jezcentral says:

Anyone else get the feeling that Dragon Age v The Witcher has become the XBox v PlayStation of PC gaming?

I’m seeing a lot of “Game A can’t be good because I like Game B”.

Yuck.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s actually more useful to go with Intel/AMD or Nvidia/AMD, at least on each slot you actually HAVE to pick one.

• nrvsNRG says:

Nope. Most ppl who buy DA will probably buy TW3 too. I think everyone over 10 years old with a brain knows you can buy 2 games and still enjoy them.
      Its nothing like brand loyalty over “console wars”, which isn’t anywhere near as bad as some make out to be.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

I don’t agree, the consoles are basically the same box with a different logo slapped on it. TW3 and DA:I are going in totally different directions, it’s only natural that they would polarise.

And FWIW, no, I won’t be touching another Bioware product with a bargepole. Gaider has made it perfectly plain that he doesn’t want “my kind of person” (to use his precise words, “RPGCodexNerds”) playing his games, and I’m more than happy to oblige him.

• GoldenGoat says:

I haven’t ever commented before but I feel compelled to say that I absolutely intend to purchase this AND the next Witcher. And then the next CD Projekt Red game Cyber Punk… And then Mass Effect 4!!! What can I say, I’m one crazy fucker.

19. Koozer says:

“We needed characters that were sophisticated, and believable”

So their award-winning storytelling team came up with Beef McTankpants, Elven Ranger #278, Strong Independent Woman(tm), and Mage EvilMaster D’Ohnoes.

• P.Funk says:

““We needed characters that were sophisticated, and believable””

characters – archetypes
      sophisticated – prone to drama
      believable – predictable

Lets fix the mad lib.

“We needed archetypes who were prone to drama, and predictable”

We’re ready for market, finally.

• Turkey says:

Oh, but it’s got the unpredictable psychopath that always takes things one step too far. They’ve only done that character once before.

• Christo4 says:

You forgot to add strong independent woman that runs like a fashion model

• HadToLogin says:

Women fights for over 100 years to be able to wear clothes like sluts and not be judges for that. You white privileged man.

• Deadly Habit says:

You forgot “The First Fully Gay” ™ character as well.

20. PopeRatzo says:

The dude with the horns has got one hell of a sashay.

• Solidstate89 says:

That’s a girl.

• P.Funk says:

Am I the only one who initially thought the video must be out of sync everytime that horned girl talked, like it was the wrong face for the voice?

• MkMax says:

the 15 year old female pixie voice might not be the best choice for a 2m tall buffed horned nonhuman woman

• Solidstate89 says:

They should have gotten Gwendoline Christie (aka Brienne of Tarth) to voice her. I could totally see the protagonist speaking with that kind of authority.

It fits in my head, dammit!

21. Drake Sigar says:

10 rashers of the finest bacon says they don’t even remove/change the A button prompt for the PC version.

22. Koozer says:

Aaah, there’s nothing that brings a community together like the mocking of a video game trailer.

• Turkey says:

Nothing inspires more vitriol than ex-pc-gaming-godz who make “streamlined” versions of their 90s hits.

I think it was the “award winning storytelling” line that annoyed me this time, though. Jump further up your own butts, Bioware.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

To be fair, Bioware were never THAT good. I mean, even BG2 had problems with sloppy writing, masked out by the virtuosic performance of Jon Irenicus IMHO.

What I’m trying to say is that even at their best, Bioware produced games that were nowhere near as well-written as Black Isle did.

• Zekiel says:

Heresy! Thou shalt not speak ill of the glorious BG2!

Oh all right then. It wasn’t perfect. It had Anomen. And Cernd. And Aerie. But even so, it was still glorious.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

I don’t disagree, I just think the problems such as the ones you mention are largely glossed over due to the strength of the worldbuilding, systems and Jon Irenicus. PS:T, by contrast, is legitimately stellar across the (writing) board, although I suppose that is a subjective judgment.

• Big Murray says:

I have to stop you there, because the reason people remember Bioware’s games more than Black Isle’s is simple.

Bioware made Baldur’s Gate. Black Isle made Icewind Dale.

• SpectralThundr says:

That’s because David Gaider has always been a shit tier writer to begin with. DA3 doesn’t change that. Most of their actual talent from those days are long gone at this point.

23. 731 says:

Alpha footage?
    The companions, dialogue and animations of this game I’ve seen so far are downright horrible.
    But hey, as long as we have buttons and awesome people be happy? Right?
    On the other hand, I look forward to a Bioware game that could be worse than Jade Empire.

It is actually quite insulting when people say Bioware wrirtes the best stories.
    KOTOR2, despite its problems is one of the greatest stories in video games and lightyears ahead of KOTOR1.

• ansionnach says:

Agreed. KotOR2 had an amazing story, with the Thrawn trilogy one of the best in Star Warsdom. Okay, that may not be much of a compliment, but it was really good! The first game was really generic. I much preferred Neverwinter Nights. It wore its genericity on its sleeve but at least it had a proper interface that allowed for strategic combat… and it had great co-op. The KotOR interface was deeply limited so none of its encounters allowed for much in the way of strategy. Since the engine was essentially limited to the point of brokenness by design, this meant that designing both games must have proven quite a challenge. KotOR2′s biggest flaw is game balance. Bioware did better here and the game was in some way challenging (it was actually a game!) on the highest difficulty level. KotOR2 was almost never challenging and almost always ludicrously easy. One of the best walking simulators ever made, though! Really liked the crafting system, too!

• Big Murray says:

KOTOR2 was a terrible mess of a game with a story that made no sense. I spent the entire game wondering why I was being forced to carry along someone who was quite clearly evil.

• ansionnach says:

I only played it with the latest restoration patch installed at the end of last year. You often have to wait a while before a few patches tidy a game up, but with KotOR it took almost ten years! It’s still only a story and the framework of a game with no difficulty balancing done…

• ansionnach says:

Can’t think of who you’re talking about off-hand (the blind dark jedi?). Didn’t like this in the first game either. Killed that dark jedi near the start. Glad I did as otherwise she’d have joined my get along gang whether I liked it or not!

24. Katar says:

God that looked horrible. If I want to experience MMO style combat I’ll play an MMO that doesn’t require me to control four people at once. The dialogue wheel is still shit that doesn’t tell you what you are actually going to say, near the end the dialogue wheel text is actually longer then the spoken dialogue which makes no sense.

Watching that trailer and having seen nothing else about the game I guessed the game was coming out on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Finally a £50 price tag, even with Amazon’s heavy discounting it’s still £40, screw that! It’s at least £10 too expensive to even consider buying as a preorder for the PC. It’s bloody cheaper to buy an Xbox 360 or PS3 version and MS/Sony take a cut from that price.

• Solidstate89 says:

I hope everyone complaining about the combat mechanics realizes this is pretty much exactly how DA and DA2 did it. Very little has changed in that regard.

• Katar says:

I did play both DA:O and DA2 the combat was bad in DA:O but at least mitigated a bit by a proper tactical camera and the ability to place my characters where ever I wanted on a map. If I wanted my Warrior to stand at one end of the map and the Mages at the other that was possible.

DA2 combat I found awful, it had all the bad bits of DA:O but with a dreadful camera angle and the new addition of if a character got to far away from the one you were controlling it stopped whatever it was doing and ran straight to you. Once I got to the first MMO style boss and found out that unless you hid every character behind the same the pillar the game thought they were too far away and made them come running to your side. Result my mages survived and the warriors were insta-killed, I quit the game and never played again. It didn’t help that I had a horrible party composition for that boss encounter and would have to replay the whole Deep Roads section to make the boss fight easier.

TL:DR Combat was bad in DA:O but it got worse in DA2 and this looks exactly like DA2.

• Solidstate89 says:

It’s not even possible for it to look exactly like DA2 combat, because they added back in the ability to pause and issue orders.

I was so pissed when they removed that from DA2, and now that they’ve added back in, it’s definitely more DA:O than DA2.

And yes, that boss battle reeked of bullshit.

• Katar says:

Yes you are right for about 40 seconds they paused the game and issued two orders. It still looks like a piece of crap they have only added to shut up the people who complained about DA2. The camera never really zoomed out like it did in DA:O, and I doubt it will as Bioware think it is more important to have pretty ceilings and skyboxes to look at then a proper zoomed out overhead tactical camera.

• ansionnach says:

You could pause and issue orders in DA2. It didn’t have the free-floating tactical camera. The closest to this view was to zoom out and view the currently-controlled character from above but it was locked to that character and you couldn’t zoom out as much as before. It was definitely annoying but the real problem was the fact that your party members kept running back together if you moved into another room or more than about forty metres apart. I’d guess that the PC version will have an action bar along the bottom, just like in DA2 and the floating camera will be better than this console version. I hope!

• ansionnach says:

I played DA2 all the way through. Nearly quit at that boss. Glad I didn’t as there’s nothing else like it in the main game. Two of the DLCs (Legacy and Mark of the Assassin) also have annoying boss battles, the former being far worse than the rock wraith, the latter being not as bad. In the worst one you’ve got to move all your party members in circles around a maze full of death walls while being attacked by a mage. Of course the idiotic party members keep getting themselves killed as the game’s interface makes moving them around the maze practically impossible. I played on Nightmare, pretty sure there was minimal testing of this difficulty level…

It’s almost like somebody else (a complete idiot) designed these boss battles without taking into account the game’s limitations. Other than the characters running back together and the lack of the free-floating camera I thought the combat was much improved over Origins. You could see that it was heavily-influenced by Mass Effect 2 with all characters having very unique and effective abilities. Playing at higher difficulty levels demanded that you rely on judicious use of them to survive. Think I did everything in the game except fighting one hidden boss I didn’t know about (so perhaps he’s another masterclass in how not to do encounter design).

Other than all the faults already mentioned, and well as others caused by the game being horribly rushed, the only other big gripe I had with DA2 was that it ended like ME3 did, completely disregarding your decisions and forcing you down one of two paths. This game hasn’t been rushed as much and they seem to have listened when it comes to player choice… so the only obvious remaining problems are the waves of enemies, the dialogue wheel and the design of the boss-like encounters.

EDIT: Meant to remark that none of the DLCs are worthwhile to the overall story. They can be quite challenging and as a reward you get powerful gear that makes the main game easier. Since the main game certainly isn’t harder than the DLCs, maybe they should have rewarded players by stripping them of some 1337 gear. Can’t see how making the rest of the game easier makes sense for players who don’t need it! Long story short: the DLCs are all essentially of the pay-to-win variety.

25. Zenicetus says:

Ugh, I know this sounds like piling on, but that combat style is awful for this series. Aren’t there enough other games out there that do this MMO style attack fest?

We were told there would be a “tactical” option, and I can finally see now how it works in this clip. It’s only going to useful for setting up the initial attack, and then everything goes into whack-a-mole mode. This kind of fighting is going to get very boring over the length of a game like this, because once you find your min/maxed attacks, you’ll just be stabbing those buttons over and over in every combat to keep up with the pace. It’s going to be Deep Roads all over again.

The most hilarious thing here is that they got criticized for enemies spawning out of nowhere behind the party in DA2, and now they’ve added that Rift mechanic to explain it away.

• MkMax says:

oh come on, even MMOs are leaving this kind of combat behind, your are not being fair to them

About the rift mechanic, its better than nothing, i should point out Mass Effect 3 has the exact same “ANOTHER WAVE!!” kind of combat as DA2 but because “dropping from a troop transport” or coming out of doors made sense most didnt pick up on it, DA2′s worst sin was showing you 3 enemies before combat and then spawning 10 right on top of your wizard (ME3 never really gave you a chance to see mobs before combat so you had no expectations on the numbers)

as long as you avoid that you might be able to tolerate it, the ability to “close” the rifts will probably help with that as well as long as they dont overuse them (who am i kidding of course they are going to over use them)

• Moraven says:

Xenoblade Chronicles does this auto attack MMO like and it really works out really well. Abilities can be comboed off other characters abilities and some require positioning.

I have that vibe when I see these videos of DA Inquisition.

• ansionnach says:

The fact that they’ve added the breach as a seeming plot point to explain away the waves of enemies is galling. I actually liked DA2 but it was deeply flawed with some horrendous design decisions, the waves among the worst of them. They effectively nullified effective strategies and on Nightmare you sometimes had to lose up to the point where you knew where all the waves would come from before you could work out what to do. I thought that combat was much improved in DA2. It was faster and more streamlined, but there was still quite a lot of scope for strategy with certain abilities working better when combined with others. Unfortunate that there was no tactical view and characters kept running back together when more than about forty metres apart. Don’t like the look of this at all. Looked up a let’s play of DA2 on XBox though, and it actually looks quite similar (not the same as on PC), so I really hope that the PC version has a different interface. One of the worst things about DA2 was its being rushed meant a lot of things weren’t done… including the balancing of the Nightmare difficulty level. I surmise that reviewers would be unlikely to pick up on this, though. Seeing as the party auto-fights it looks like normal(?) difficulty is effectively a walking simulator. Hope they’ve got the higher difficulty levels balanced this time for those who actually want to play a game!

26. Zenicetus says:

And another thing… What ever happened to the idea of showing how a high-level Mage boss is being protected with a graphic effect like a magic bubble shield or something? That guy is running around in a robe, soaking up tons of damage during the fight. Is it just a magic Robe of +500 HP?

Gah…. even Baldur’s Gate would at least show a force field or some other effect so you’d know why you weren’t killing a squishy Mage very quickly. Here, they’re just taking the shortcut of loading the guy up with hit points, which is a cheesy way to design a boss fight. Boo, Hiss, etc.

• MkMax says:

well, in DA2, the “boss” wizard enemies had the highest HPs of them all, followed by assassins, fighters were the weakest, go figure

devs probably noticed players just owned them before they had a chance to pull out a spell so they got promoted to damage sponge, easier than fixing the broken balance

• Myrdinn says:

BG2′s mage battles were the best! Nothing like battling a sorcerer who just trigged his spell contingencies and is now protected with immunity from magical weapons, stoneskin, improved invisibility and spell immunity: abjuration. Made it feasible for a single wizard to wipe out your entire party without even hurting him once, if you didn’t come prepared.

Or the fact you could kill almost unkillable Dragons by simply bringing enough mages, lowering it’s magic resistance and saving throws, and snuff out it’s life force by a single ‘finger of death’ spell. Ahh, memories <3.

• Zenicetus says:

Right! That’s the good stuff, right there. The visual effects let you know what you were up against.

If a Mage is going to use pure HP as a defense, then at least show him or her transforming into a hulking Demon or something, where it makes sense that it’s a damage sponge.

27. aepervius says:

It looks far more like DA2 was, which I disliked a lot. I doubt they will make totally different UI for PC and console so the 4 skills on screen and what we saw reeks more of button mashup action combat than tactical one. It looks liek DA:O was the exception not the rule. I’ll wait for review, but as it looks now it will be a resounding “pass” for me.

28. rexx.sabotage says:

I motion that Bioware henceforth be known as Broware

Those who second the motion say, “aye”

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Broware? They’re, like, the least dudebroish developer around. How about Fullygayoware? Or Awesomebuttonoware? Or Biowerewolffanfiction?

• rexx.sabotage says:

This mess is occupying the same shelf as this year’s annual instalment of CoD in both brick and mortars as well as digital distributors.

The same brainwashed cronies that are soaking up the Spunkgargleweewee are snatching this nonsense as well to appease their corporate overlords.

Get hip to the millennium, these days ‘bro’ is spelled; A-A-A

or more succinctly: $-$-$

• Big Murray says:

“Get hip to the millennium, these days ‘bro’ is spelled; A-A-A

or more succinctly: $-$-$”

Congratulations. You’re a hipster.

29. AJLeuer says:

Bioware really gets it. Not only is Dragon Age: Inquisition shaping up to be epic and cinematic, the developers clearly haven’t forgotten the little things, eg. the character bits and follower banter, etc. Bioware understands that they’re not just making games for the same people who’ve been playing RPGs forever, they’re making games for a modern, more diverse audience. And this looks like a game that everyone can enjoy, no matter who you are or what games you’ve played before. Hopefully other developers will follow Bioware’s lead when it comes to diversity and representation within their games, and in making games that can appeal to more types of gamers.

• Frivolous says:

Thanks for that insight, Bioware.

• P.Funk says:

Who are you, and what are they paying you?

• green frog says:

God forbid someone likes something you don’t like.

• Frivolous says:

Beyond that; Leuer’s writeup reads like a Bioware press release. The statement ‘hopefully other developers will follow Bioware’s lead’ is especially laughable, considering what direction they have gone in leading to the retirement of their creative lead and the derision of most of the gaming community. Indeed, let us pray that all developers push crudely written characters and forced homosexuality, a broad topic given one sheet of paint so that Bioware can be seen to be at the helm of liberalism in video games. Let’s hope all developers forgo thinking for laughable attempts at virtual intimacy and betray traditional, tactical DND roots for flashy, vapid, four button combat.

• Harlander says:

forced homosexuality

I suspect your use of one, if not both, of those words is idiosyncratic.

• Big Murray says:

It’s almost as if somebody believes there’s a correct way to make an RPG, and if you’re not making RPGs in that way you’re betraying somebody.

But that would be … yeah. So I’m sure nobody thinks that, right?

• Frivolous says:

To Harlander – Doubtless. Yet considering the fan-fic backgrounds of Bioware’s writers and the product on-screen, surely we can agree that the topic is – through their poor writing – clunky? Shoehorned? Hopelessly limited? This is what I meant by forced.

To Big Murray – perhaps I tripped myself on my own words, but I was calling Bioware’s roots into question – not every RPG ever made. The direction of Bioware has been to steer as far away from their source material as possible. The combat has been adapted to fit a larger audience (alienating their older, loyal fans who are now a minority) but if the writing was still at a high standard then this would be motive enough for everyone to take something out of it. Unfortunately both have been forfeited to suit the lowest common denominator – either deliberately or through general incompetence. Perhaps betray is too strong, as if they were obliged. Bioware are not obliged to do anything. Except make a mess, apparently.

• Harlander says:

If all of the writing is bad, I can’t see how adding additional bad writing for inclusivity’s sake is going to make it substantially worse, and it might start a trend whereby others include additional writing for inclusivity’s sake that is actually good.

As for your other point, suffice it to say that our opinions of D&D as a RPG system are not in common.

• Frivolous says:

Adding anything simply for inclusivity is a contemptible design practice. Without focus or substantiation these things become afterthoughts; dressy mannequins used only to attract at face value. There’s no depth, and they end up saying nothing at all. What then is the point?

Though indeed, perhaps another developer will cut back the slimy tentacles that Bioware slather over every agreeable thematic point and decide that they can represent them in more interesting ways. To look to Bioware for any other sort of inspiration would be worrisome.

• AJLeuer says:

I wonder if anyone has ever used the phrase “forced heterosexuality” in response to the portrayal of straight relationships?

And really, I doubt “most of the gaming community” is so strongly anti-Bioware as the responses here would suggest. I think many of the commenters here are victims of the echo-chamber effect – too little exposure to different viewpoints has warped their attitudes. The audience for mass market RPGs is much larger and more diverse now than it was in the late 90s. It’s fine if you want to keep playing the same kind of game forever, but you can’t expect a company like Bioware to remain stuck in the past with you.

30. thebigJ_A says:

I liked the first DA enough to actually finish it (something that’s getting rarer as I get older, it seems), but the second was reportedly so bad I never touched it and basically forgot the series existed.

Are people who liked the first but got burned by the second genuinely excited for this? I suddenly realize there’s an ember of… hope? that this game will bring the series back to what it originally promised. (Then again, times are different from when DA1 came out. I’m about to play some more Divinity, for instance)

If this requires knowledge from that second game I’ll never play it.

• Big Murray says:

Quite honestly, the worst thing you can do is let other people’s opinions dictate whether or not you play a Bioware game. Dragon Age 2, despite the mouth-foaming from the haters, is not a bad RPG. It’s just a bit rushed and not up to the quality you’d expect of a Bioware game. I deem it “average”. It’s the internet which has decided that “average” means “I’m going to piss in your face for daring to produce something that doesn’t make me orgasm from playing it”.

You won’t need knowledge from the second game to understand this one. And frankly, you should give it a try whenever you see it cheap anyway.

31. MrDreadlock says:

The magic looks terribly blant! I know it’s an alpha footage, but everything else seems to be in place.
    90% of spells looks like flat blaster shots. I admit it’s better than previous gameplay where dragon fight looked like Star Wars space battle, but still it’s disturbingly..boring.

32. Zekiel says:

Victory is impossible! The Elder One will consume us both!

That’s what I learnt from that video.

33. Highlord Fopplebottom says:

Oh look men, a new Bioware product approaches! Quickly now, do mount your steeds of +3 to tears and sally forth to engage this opponent in a battle of sceptical oneliners and jumping on bandwagons! Verily, I say we must squash it before we get to know it.

I kinda think it looks good and would like to play it. But I reckon that’s just me being silly.