The Escape Is A Free Promotional FPS That’s… OK, Ish.

By Alec Meer on July 15th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Is it a game? Is it marketing material for a game-creating tool? Dunno really, but you get to shoot some men in it, so there’s that. The Escape is a short, free, so-so shooter intended to demonstrate the capabilities of upcoming gamemaking-for-newbs application FPS Creator Reloaded. It looks a bit like someone made a rudimentary singleplayer game out an early version of Counter-Strike, but it has guns and men and keys and exploding barrels in it, and most importantly it doesn’t cost any of your Earth coinage to obtain.

It is, however, enormously keen to make you look at, sign up to the newsletter of and even pledge to FPS Creator Reloaded, but hell, no such thing as a free lunch, eh? (That isn’t true by the way – I once was given a lovely cheese sandwich in a sofa store, then immediately left before they could show me any sofas).

I don’t know, The Escape isn’t great on any level (most worryingly, the act of shooting a gun at someone feels oddly weightless and disconnected), but some part of me is vaguely taken with the idea that anyone could make something that looks and feels like an early 2000s Euro-shooter with relatively little exertion. Maybe something super-good will come out of this, if the collision between ease and someone with an idea-fountain of a brain pays off.

Here’s a trailer for the dev tool, by the way:

That’ll be out properly later this year, but if you want to ‘pledge‘ at this stage you get access to earlier builds, as I understand it. There’s also an asset store so you can add fancier doors and things to your death-arenas with a minimum of effort.

, , .

1. RaveTurned says:

FINALLY, someone made it easier for people to create more games about shooting things. I cannot wait for the wave of innovation and game-play possibilities this tool will provide.

• staberas says:

I’m expecting some dude modifying it so hard that the game is not even about shooting people anymore like portal2 but the chances are very slim …

• fluffy_thedestroyer says:

Papo & Yo used the unreal engine and not being an FPS, it turned out to be an adventure game which used 3rd person perspective mode. Thats the kind of originality I’m looking for when someone releases a tool thats easy to use for people.

• p4cm4n says:

“stacking” does the same and it’s reaaaally reallly fun :D

• Jabberslops says:

New innovations you say? How about a literal man shooter. You play as the Gun and the Guns shoot at Men with Man bullets made out of Men. I call it ReGungence: The revengening “The Guns have turned the tables on the Mens. They no longer get shot… They do the Man shoots now!”

2. rustybroomhandle says:

SEUCK for a new generation?

• Artiforg says:

Or even H.U.R.G.

• Antistar says:

I have no idea what either of those acronyms stand for, so I’ll continue to believe that they’re actually creative onomatopoeias for vomiting and add that my favourite along those lines is “ROOP!”

3. Stardog says:

Instead, just get Unity and buy UFPS (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2943).

• dufake says:

I’m OK with FPSC series’ graphic, but the control is bad. It feels like a console shooter that you can’t really aim or walk. Unity can be tweaked for its control response, but FPSC isn’t fixed in its history.

4. Spacewalk says:

So just like every other FPS Creator game then.

5. PDP-8e says:

It looks a lot like a Tool made in Unity, which is a game engine that is relatively easy to make games in. Maybe they did write it from scratch, but the ‘World creation’ video just looked like a demo of the Unity Terrain Tool. Seems like a big money grab either way.
    Game makers are good to learn on, but when making a big, serious game easy game tools don’t cut it. You kinda need some knowledge. What happens when the game breaks? People complain about bugs, and the creators have no idea how to fix it because all the did was basically click virtual Lego bricks together.

6. Bull0 says:

Anyone else find it a bit tasteless that they’ve based the demo on the Battle for Brown Stretched Texture Island?

Too soon, guys.

• frightlever says:

That was funny!

I had the original FPS Creator back in the day, but like 99.9% of other owners I didn’t make anything close to a complete game with it.

7. brokeTM says:

Who cannot wait to play custom created FPS game with outdated visuals and gunplay? I know I don’t, it’ll never measure up to custom maps for games like CS:GO etc.

8. The Random One says:

It’s weird that he talks so much about hills and lakes and mountains. Except for Tribes, every big FPS I can think of has had levels which are mostly about manmade, highly angular structures.

9. reloaded says:

User created content is much better