The RPS Bargain Bucket: International Tiger

By Cassandra Khaw on July 19th, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

There’s a certain poetry to the recent schedule of sporting events. First, we had the World Cup, which was rather widely celebrated (and criticized.) Now, we have the International, which is somewhat less maligned but just as adored. I’m of the opinion that the Olympics will probably never open a sub-section for esports, but it’s rather exciting to see video game competitions turning into a multi-million dollar affair. My nine-year-old self would laugh at you if you told her that, but she was also very easily entertained and would laugh at just about anything. ANYWAY. Here’s this week’s Bargain Bucket, and the compulsory plushie. I shall leave its champion to explain this week’s conspicuous absence of a bucket. Prepare the pitchforks.

Time Gentlemen Please! & Ben There, Dan That
$1.00/£0.70/€0.89
The phrase “rip-roaring point-and-click adventure game” works excellently with these two titles. There’s no ignoring the fact that these games have been around for a while, but humor is timeless. Immortal. Sure, we’ve all heard someone enthuse madly about these games. But, have you played them? If you haven’t, you should. They come with Robot Nazi dinosaur clones and alien invasions and whimsical commentary about everything. Have I mentioned the Nazi dinosaurs? Because you should be aware those exist.

Indie Pinata
This isn’t so much a recommendation as it is a, “Hey, Bucketeers. There is this thing over here.” The Indie Pinata is a new website that is comprised of games “handpicked and recommended by some of your favorite indie developers.” Which is an interesting prospect, really, as it suggests the concept of playing games that inspired games that you already like. (The developers could just be ardently recommending people they like. But, that’s good too.) I’m inexplicably fond of Monaco: What’s Yours is Mine, attached to the weirdness of The Bridge, and my inner kid loves Contraption Maker. Everything else? I’ve heard pretty good things about them all. You’ll get the discount if you own one of the games on the curated list, but I’m betting this won’t be a problem for you fine people.

Dishonored: Game of the Year
$7.99/£4.68/€5.91
There are many people selling Dishonored: GOTY for very cheap right now, including Gamefly who I have been told are prats. However, in spite of being potentially unpleasant, it seems like they might be offering the best discount of them all. The Internet insists that using the ‘JUL20OFF’ code will lower the game to $7.99 for you. (Which is great.) Alternatively, you could pick up a copy from GreenManGaming, who are offering it for a little more. As always, make sure to use that 20% code. P36EYA-K5JYKT-ABO7X9

Kindle Unlimited
$9.99/£5.85/€7.39
So, this is a new thing that Amazon recently introduced and I can’t decide if I like it. In many ways, it’s comparable to Netflix except for books. However, there is one crucial difference: most of the titles proffered in this $9.99 subscription package are from independent authors and publishers. As such, you are unlikely to see big names listed in the expansive collection of books. But, is that necessarily a bad thing? It’s easy to be lulled into caution, especially given the amount of time investment that this form of entertainment demands. However, this may be the perfect excuse to extend your horizons and investigate tomes you’ve never considered before. (P.S: One month free trials are nice.)

The Guild: Gold Edition
$2.99/£1.75/€2.21
I like the Guild. It features men in silly clothing, dudes in pointy hats, and the ability to blackmail, kidnap, sabotage, and otherwise bastard your way to glory. What’s there not to like? If you’re willing to ignore the dated graphics (and the often horrendous combat system), there’s a lot The Guild can offer a nefarious gamer. Women. Children. Political standing. Permanent death. (Of course, given that your character can whelp, it’s entirely possible to simply continue your legacy through your kids.) As always, the standard caveat applies: this probably won’t delight everyone, but I still think this is worth checking out if you’ve never played it before. The Guild: Gold Edition comes with the original game, and the expansion pack.

Also of note:

Game Music Bundle
$1.00/£0.59/€0.74
I’m frequently a little suspicious about Groupees bundles, but this Game Music collection has me charmed. To begin with, at least some of the proceeds will be going to a good cause. And also, really, the soundtracks being offered are just flat-out good. The works of Austin Wintory? The music from Hotline Miami? Rogue Legacy? Dustforce? What are you waiting for?

Disciples II: Gold Edition
$0.95/£0.56/€0.70
Do we like Disciples II? I don’t know. I’m told it’s great, but I haven’t personally played it. In fact, I’ve been told it’s a cool little turn-based fantasy game. But, does it all really matter? Because Disciples II: Gold Edition is only 95 cents right now. Woo.

Zombie Festival – Assorted Prices
It’s all about zombies this weekend. Well, at least in part. GreenManGaming is running an undead extravaganza as part of their daily attempts to convince you to give them your money. The fantastic State of Decay is on sale, along with the puzzling Typing of the Dead. The sale also features the Half-Life games, Left 4 Dead, and a handful of other things that I have sadly never heard of.

1. Fenix says:

The Ben & Dan games are really insane value at 1, if you like adventure games (or good and witty writing) I don’t think there’s a better way to spend $1.00/£0.70/€0.89.

Regarding the humour, there’s tons and tons of jokes and gags in them, not all of them hit but does that do are genuinely funny and does that don’t aren’t terrible.

• djbriandamage says:

Here’s another point in favour of Ben and Dan games. They’re very funny and silly. I had a great time with them and the price is more than fair.

• meepmeep says:

Are they ever *not* on sale for a bit less than a quid?

caff says:

I spent years thinking I should play them – then when I finally did, I regretted not picking them up earlier.

Great games.

Gap Gen says:

The Amazon thing is interesting. I suspect they’re banking on people subscribing then never reading, or maybe they figured out that they can force publishers to accept whatever coins they toss at them and keep the rest. Either way, a subscription model for ebooks seems interesting, unless DRM-free ebooks come around in a big way and actually owning them becomes worth a damn.

EDIT: Also Firefox didn’t like that the Indie Pinata link is missing an ‘h’. It’s fussy like that.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

There have been some interesting discussions about Amazon and Hachette, which may be related to this decision. I prefer Oyster Books significantly to Kindle Unlimited, but the former requires you actually own an American credit card, etc, etc.

kfix says:

This is the sort of move that might force some of the large publishers like Hachette to go DRM-free – really interesting article by Cory Doctorow on this.

melnificent says:

I guess it depends on your audience to how you see it.
      For someone just starting out I don’t see the problem, my daughter has sold 10 copies of her book, that’s a) not enough to make a career from and b) not going to light up the bestsellers list.
      Something like this enables her to get people to take a chance on her.

• Gilead says:

Kindle Unlimited appears to be an extension of the Kindle Library thing. Basically, it’s mostly self-published books whose authors have signed up to be included, plus a few well-known titles Amazon have managed to license. I really haven’t been impressed with the selection available and I can’t see publishers agreeing to let Amazon use this on a wider scale.

DragonOfTime says:

Here in Denmark we have a similar service (called Mofibo) that seems to be really popular and has gotten deals with the major Danish publishers. Denmark being Denmark, this is a significant smaller scale though, so maybe that’s why they have been able to get those deals. Also, it’s full of DRM.

3. DanMan says:

The Humble Store is running an Ubisoft sale.

• Gargenville says:

Good to see Rocksmith 2014 still requires that stupid proprietary cable even though it’s being offered digitally for peanuts and the game’s been patched by pirates to play nice with just about any way to interface an electric guitar with a PC known to man.

I guess with it being a non-uPlay Ubisoft title they need SOME way to scare off 80% of potential buyers.

(they’re not even making huge profits on the cable anymore, the thing goes for $30 on Amazon. Whyyyyy)

caff says:

Yep, I’ve not seen Assassins Creed: Black Flag this cheap. Worth picking up I think, as it was highly rated last year (including RPS).

welverin says:

It was during the Steam summer sale, but then that’s just once.

• Eiv says:

Thanks for this! :D

DragonOfTime says:

It’s worth noting that The Guild 2 is also on sale, with slightly less dated graphics, I enjoyed it immensely. It does not, however, include its expansions, one of which is also on sale.

Big Murray says:

I very much thought for a moment that The Guild: Gold Edition was something to do with the charming Felicia Day webseries.

6. StranaMente says:

The indie pinata link is borked, needs an “h” at the beginning! :)

Colonel J says:

Dishonored and that Gamefly code – it’s UKJUL20OFF if you are using The Queen’s Currency. Also minimum spend of £10 (so prob $10/€10 also) so you would need to buy Dishonored and something else to get it at the price you mentioned.

thedosbox says:

No bucket?! After I went to the effort of “badly photoshopping” one last week? (hint: it was a real bucket in front of a screen)

What would be the equivalent of a RPS lynch mob? A bunch of people twirling gaming mice like bolas, while screaming “bring me my FOV adjustment”?

9. Sareband says:

Something to keep an eye on: Groupee’s Game Music bundle does not seem to support the charity in all instances; you must make sure to mark the checkbox first. I would’ve liked to see the box marked by default, but it was not in my case.

10. GameCat says:

Awww, that tiger needs “sad puppy staring eye” tag and hug.

11. tigershuffle says:

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas on Amazon.com via a us billing address – about £1.50
    also GOTY versions etc

• HadToLogin says:

No DLCs through. And with Bethesda/Zenimax pricing model (where GOTY editions are way cheaper than DLCs) not that good deal.

FO3 Goty AFAIK was for $5, so it’s not that good deal neither. But New Vegas Ultimate might be quite cheap, I think it was for more in last Summer Sale.

12. malkav11 says:

I’m finding Groupees to offer some of the most consistently interesting bundles, myself. They don’t push beat the average pricing to get the good stuff, frequently offer bundles where you can pick exactly what you want, and constantly throw in bonuses. They also have one of the most well designed websites in the bundlesphere. The games may or may not be any good, but that’s been true of any of the bundle sites and I think Groupees gets worthwhile stuff more consistently than most of its competition. Humble Bundle, being the grandaddy, does tend to beat them on quality of content, but they also tend to have a bunch of stuff that I’ve already gotten elsewhere, sometimes to the point where, like the current 2K bundle, I literally own every single thing in it. And if I don’t have stuff in the bundle, it’s usually past the average or even the second threshold that they now have in many of their bundles, and may well no longer constitute a deal just for one title.

As for the Kindle subscription plan, I like the idea, and I would imagine that over time Amazon may well get major publishers in on the deal (Netflix streaming had a distinctly low budget tilt for a long time until they finally signed up some of the major studios). I doubt it will ever meet my needs, though, because while Netflix’s random and extremely spotty collection of titles still offers enough I’m interested in to be more than capable of providing me whim-based viewing for years to come even if they never rotated any new content in, I don’t need a pool of older books I may want to read on a whim. I need the specific titles I’m presently interested in reading. And I see no reason for publishers to ever grant a low-fee rental plan the kind of library they’d need to provide that service, especially publishers that are still fighting to be able to charge twice the proposed subscription fee for a single new release. At best they might (might!) do old back catalog that I’ve likely mostly already read.

Oozo says:

Absolutely of note as well: The Bundle of Holding’s “Indie Initiative”. It’s not videogames, granted, but the rulebooks to a whole bunch of indie RPGs, including the renowned “The Extraordinary Adventures of Münchhausen”, “Dogs In The Vineyard” and “My Life With Master”.

Really, even if you might never find people to play them with (might be the case for me, too, even though I will sure as hell not stop pestering my friends until they play Münchhausen with me at least once on a pub night), the rulebooks are very much worth reading — there are ideas there that should be inspiring for any game designer and afficiando worth his or her salt.

• Gilead says:

Thanks for posting this — I actually mentioned it myself in a comment for the last Bargain Bucket, but I then forgot to buy it and I assumed it had expired — had no idea it was extended until Monday. Just bought it and am happily reading through the Baron’s wonderful game (based on his entirely factual adventures).

Anthile says:

Can readers still submit buckets of their own?

JamesTheNumberless says:

Hang on… I have that tiger, but my one doesn’t have (and never has had) whiskers :(

16. The Random One says:

Why the suspicion regarding Groupees?

17. jpm224 says:

That is a terribly cute tiger.

18. ISNeko says:

Every time Amazon does something like this it seems interesting.

Anything to help get my independent work into the hands of potential fans I suppose.

19. LionsPhil says:

KSP has gone on sale.

Buy KSP.

20. suibhne says:

Can someone convince me that State of Decay is truly, as Cassandra says, “fantastic”? I played the first half-hour and found frustrating controls and embarrassingly amateurish presentation.

kfix says:

With the caveat that I’ve only tried the 360 version and not since the most recent update, I found it to be a little buggy and frustrating at times, but “fantastic” is not unreasonable. With a gamepad the controls were ok and the menus reasonable. I liked the ability to swap between characters and the way that relationships were developed within the little community you were building, the tough choices as to who to invite into your base and who to leave on their own, and the very open mission and task structure. It’s the only take on zombies that I’ve enjoyed, as for me it has the right balance between bashing zombies with a pipe, base building, RPG-light character building, and a fairly unique system of relationships between multiple characters. I fully intend to return to it once my current Dark Souls obsession has been sated.

21. Wulfram says: