Liberty City Nights: A NFS Underground-y GTA 3 Mod

By Alice O'Connor on July 21st, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

Neon Nights

Races have consistently been my least favourite activity and mission style in Grand Theft Auto games, but here I am downloading Grand Theft Auto III so I can play a mod dedicated to the blighters. Liberty City Nights’ creator amibitiously describes it as “the best racing mod GTA III ever saw,” which also implies “the least horrible racing GTA III ever saw,” but that’s not why I’m interested. See, I’m interested in mods which try to recreate or crib from games and series which are no longer made, and Liberty City Nights is after the neon night racing of EA’s Need for Speed Underground subseries.

Most of us have a series we’d like to see return, a game we’d like a sequel to. When it’s clear that won’t happen any time soon, some of us move on and enjoy other games. Some stick to playing that one old game. Others complain endlessly when the creators make something which isn’t a sequel to their old favourite. A few complain that every game vaguely similar to their dream game isn’t what they wanted. Or some people make mods which combine something they loved in that game with another game they like, recreating a level, or porting character skins.

Liberty City Nights bathes the city in perpetual night, adds sporty new cars and puts glowing lights on and under them and everything else in the world that might conceivably light-up, and generally makes it very colourful and bloom-y. It’s inspired by those NFSU neon nights, that spew of colours.

Is it any good? I don’t know. I haven’t played it yet. It’s been downloading as I write this, and is just done now, so let’s have a look.

No, not really. It’s still racing in GTA III. But I don’t particularly care. The idea interests me, and the neon city is a novel enough experience for a few minutes. Download it and the saves you’ll need, if you fancy. Here, a video:

, , .

1. SominiTheCommenter says:

OR you could just play NFS Most Wanted (the real one, from 2005), or even NFS Carbon.

• The First Door says:

Well yes, although that it slightly scuppered by NFS Carbon being a little crap as I recall. Actually, I recall it being a massive disappointment when I got it on launch day, but I genuinely can’t remember why.

The original Most Wanted is still brilliant, however! Faffing around on the golf course in a Lambo is still great fun.

• elwood_p says:

Especially if you have the modern rockport II mod.

• dontnormally says:

What the hell are you talking about? No NFS game since has been anything like Underground (or Underground 2, the best NFS game). Racing with RPG elements, essentially.

2. BobbyFizz says:

I still play the race servers in MTA for san andreas, it’s probably my favourite racing game of all time. Personal taste of course but the combination of arcade mechanics and simply being set in the brilliantly designed small versions of LA, SF and vegas make it very appealing.

3. NicholasTimothyJones says:

That video made me feel sick. The lights…the colour…the flashing… The music didn’t help either.

I dislike mods like this. Not because I dislike racing in games like GTA, but because the high quality models of cars and high resolution of the replacement textures stand out so much against the ageing models of the city environment. It just doesn’t sit right with me,

• LionsPhil says:

It seems a weird choice of game to mod to do this on that basis, yes. You’d think they’d want one with a more, uh, neon-y lighting engine, too.

4. grundus says:

I spy a Rocket Bunny chassis-mounted wing on that GT86/FR-S/BRZ, that’s impressive attention to detail!
    Then I spy said chassis-mounted wing flapping about with the bootlid as it swings open. Never mind.

Still, I never got into GTA 3 so I might give this a try.

5. DelrueOfDetroit says:

So… Midnight Club then?

6. Vandelay says:

Did anyone else instantly read that headline as “A NSFW Underground-y GTA 3 Mod?”

7. Brinx says:

This made me install Need for Speed Underground again. I’m gonna be tired tomorrow.

8. The Random One says:

I started enjoying the races in GTAIV a lot more when I discovered you could do them in bikes.

9. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Pfft, if they really want to go japanese with the soundtrack, then Maximum the Hormone is the only choice!

Random sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7LCVxlf9OA

The guitarist also gets extra credit for always wearing Tool’s t-shirt.

10. ninjapirate says:

Now I am reminded of how much I miss the NFSU series.