Peeved Push Ups And Premium Memberships: The Sims 4

By Alice O'Connor on July 21st, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Bro out!

The word “bro” is tossed around a lot nowadays, but I can’t say I’ve ever met one of these curious beings. I’m choosing to treat a new The Sims 4 trailer as a documentary, 20 minutes teaching me about two bros who work out, bro out, party down, and die of laughter after their Kim Jong-un-lookalike housemate wees himself during a cupcake fire. What a strange bird, the bro.

The trailer also offers a glimpse of something as inevitable as a bro bump: Premium memberships.

As the Maxis bros showed off the new in-game community item browser, the eagle eyes of SimsVIP spotted this advert flash up briefly:

“The Sims 4 Premium: Save on new packs with early access and exclusive items. Become a Premium Member to get early access to 3 new packs, with exclusive items. Your Sims can throw a spooky costume party, camp in the great outdoors, and toast to the new year in style.”

Given the staggering amount of DLC and expansions The Sims 4 will inevitably receive, such a scheme seemed likely. EA have run Premium memberships for one of its other flagship series, Battlefield, for a few years new, offering discounts and early access on its DLC map packs. How much Premium will cost and what exactly it’ll offer are under wraps for now, given that this was a glimpse rather than an announcement. I expect EA will be ready to say more closer to The Sims 4’s launch on September 4.

Here, learn all about the exotic and unlikely creature known as the ‘bro':

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. james.hancox says:

the new in-game community item browser

Item bro-ser, surely?

2. MistaJah says:

Love the sad Keanu in the park 6 minutes in.
    Videos like this prove the word bro will die soon enough.
    Maxis can’t be trusted anymore after the fiasco of Sim City..
    I was gonna write a full comment but you’ll have to subscribe for more comments.

• realitysconcierge says:

i subscribe to the notions that this is a perfectly full comment!

Ashrand says:

Jokes on you! the full comment had toddlers and pools.

• MistaJah says:

[Oh, shoot, he’s satisfied with the base package.] Don’t you want to experience features like compound-complex sentences and references? Or the exclamation pack! You can subscribe to the full comment experience for only £4.99 a month, or pre-order a 12-month bundle for £50. Passives are confirmed for Holiday 2014.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Consider that a lesson learned, you need a higher marketing and PR budget next time.

jezcentral says:

I love the dancing Obama, in the top screenshot.

3. hjarg says:

Well, the Sims have been a good way to milk your customers dry since Sims 1. The methods have changed, but the logic remains. And fun fact: it still costs 40€ on Steam- and all the DLC will cost total 550€. Now, i’ll just go to the corner and moo, bro.

4. Grargh says:

6:40 — Graham and John don’t know each other yet.

After so many years? How is that possible?

5. P-Dizzle says:

Oh the banter between these two guys. So natural and not scripted at all.

6. Blackcompany says:

What right minded individual is still giving money to EA at this point? Honestly, you know you as a customer are going to be borderline abused. One game at $60+, and a paid premium membership to help you better afford to pay for more miniscule “packs” along the way. And not one EA Premium membership. Oh no; each game requires its own premium.

Honestly…how are these people still in business? Just…stop buying this stuff, already. Its become painful to watch at this point.

• newguy2012 says:

After Sim City who in their right minds will buy this?

You will end up paying full price about 9-10 times over.

Yes this is customer abuse. Save your money and buy something else.

• derbefrier says:

Ehh not everyones cares about the politics behind the game they are buying believe it or not there are still some people out there that just buy games to enjoy them and are not to worried about who’s making it or sees any game priced over 20 bucks as evil and greedy.

Melody says:

You are seriously understating EA’s business practices, and the amount of money The Sims specifically asks from its customers. Look at how much buying the Sims 3 plus DLCs costs, right now.
        That’s more than I used to pay for a month’s rent.

Also, you vote with your money. It’s true, even if you ostensibly decide to “not care” about what business practices you are financing.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s funny that you posted Steam, because it lacks the very latest stuff ( 1 or 2 years or something ), so the already huge price is actually even more!

• Iain_1986 says:

Sorry, wasn’t aware that when buying The Sims 3 you were automatically signed up, and forced to purchase all the following DLC too.

When did they introduce that?

• Walsh says:

Umm what?
          Who cares how much all of the add on content costs, I played the Sims just fine with the base content. All of this stuff isn’t critical to making the game work, which would make your argument valid. It’s all basically different outfits for Barbie.

If you totaled how much you spent on a non F2P mmo, you’d be in the same ballpark anyway.

• Ergonomic Cat says:

Did you know that if you bought every key in Team Fortress 2 it would cost eleventy billion dollars/pounds/euros/Quinnsbux? And this in a “free” game.

Valve is the true villian.

• Skull says:

What a strange comment. If you look at this game (http://store.steampowered.com/app/221680/) the DLC comes in at just under £700. If you add the DLC from the previous game on top (which is compatible for the most recent version, but only if you buy it via uPlay and not Steam) then you double that. I don’t feel that Ubisoft are villains for making it and don’t deserve any of my custom because it is a really fun game and in fact, I hope they release even more DLC.

I have spent about £50 on the DLC so far by buying a pack or two on payday and then leaving it for a month. I much prefer this route to offering a new game every year for £40 as even though that would be cheaper for me, it would be of less value. I can pick and choose what packs I want and it feels like I am customising the game to best suit me and for only half the price of a WoW subscription.

Selling DLC is not evil, the people who have to purchase everything for no reason are just idiots.

• derbefrier says:

Believe it or not there’s more thaan one perspective when it comes to pricing and what’s tolerable. Sure if you bought every piece of dlc it would be expensive, but has it occured to you not everyone feels cheated because they can’t have all the dlc for 20 bucks. I am not arguing that its not a little ridiculous I am just saying that maybe some people are fine with it, or at least are able to buy what they want and leave out the rest and still have a fun expirience. I mean if all these sims players are able to enjoy the game without buying every piece of dlc then maybe its not so bad after all and this is simply a reaction to how much there is not nessisarily its affect on gameplay. I mean I don’t need every lego set ever made to enjoy the ones I already have, maybe the same can be said with the sims games.

• PopeRatzo says:

Or, you know, maybe not.

• fish99 says:

I paid £10 for sims 3, then got 1 expansion + 1 content pack in a humble bundle for about £3, then recently bought 3 expansions in an origin sale for £17. I’ve got the game and most of the good expansions packs there, certainly enough to have a very good experience, for about £30.

7. TheVGamer says:

I’ve never wanted to murder Sims like this before and now I can’t do it via my, and probably everyone else’s, favorite method – drowning the smug fuckers. Oh Maxis…

• PsychoWedge says:

Maybe they had to remove the pools to avoid getting an M rating for gratuitous murder and mayhem… xD

• satsui says:

You mean Sims Studio. Sims Studio is a splitoff from Maxis after the success of SIms.

8. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Cheats are already in it seems, you can have Chuck Norris as personal trainer! :O

Oh and about Bros Alice, all you need to do is to pick up a surfboard. Your life will instantly be full of them.

9. the_aborted says:

Sims 4 downloading….

It’s 3 files,
    Sim4.exe
    Sim4_drm.dll
    Sim4_addons.exe

(Sim_drm.dll obviously being the largest at 25 Gigs and once installed, only an OS reinstall will remove it)

Obvious when the game, it installs malware that scans through your entire system looking for incriminating evidence of any sort, registers all your old EA games on origin, deletes any EA games you have, then tells you they are patched and only work though Origin now.

This is followed by an update window with a series of tickboxes to allow you to buy the selected components of Sims4:

Male character: £2.99 (Per person)
    Female character: £2.99 (Per person)
    Grass: £1
    Sun: £1
    Moon: £1
    Day/Night transitions: £1
    Hair/ Hair colour: £1 per item.

You get the drift.

• the_aborted says:

I forgot to add:

Offline mode: 1 BILLION POUNDS (You still need to log in online to play the game)

10. szhival says:

Nope. Nope nope nope.

If after the previous news paired with the Simcity disaster left any interest for the game in me, it’s now gone.

Also, for everyone using the ‘you don’t have to buy DLC argumemt’ – I don’t trust EA not cutting content to sell as DLC later.

11. PopeRatzo says:

Jesus Freaking Wept.

deadfolk says:

Seriously, this is the best news. Thanks EA!

Another game I can scratch off my list for this year.

13. rexx.sabotage says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

EA has finally overtly embraced their inner darkness!

They don’t give a damn how evil you think they are, they are going to kick in your door and take your money if you don’t give it willingly!

We are EA, surrender your funbucks. Resistance is futile.