Dragon Age: Inquisition Slips Just A Tiny Bit

By John Walker on July 23rd, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Nobody expected the Dragon Age: Inquisition to be released on time. Nrrggh. The originally slated release date for what I imagine BioWare wish they could call Dragon Age 2 was 7th October, but as we all know, the Walker Principle states that original release dates will never be met. The slip, however, is only six weeks, meaning we’ll now see the game on the 18th November in the US, and then FOR SOME SODDING BLOODY REASON Europe on the 21st.

The game’s executive producer, Mark Darrah, posts an update on the game’s site explaining the weeny slip. He says those six weeks will mean “the game you’ll play will be all the better for it.”

“Since we began working on Dragon Age: Inquisition almost four years ago, our goal was to create the best Dragon Age experience ever. It was that goal that motivated many of our decisions: moving to Frostbite, bringing race choice and customization back, improving tactical camera, building a team of characters whose relationships evolve based on your actions, and most importantly, crafting an epic, nation-spanning story that both draws upon past games and takes you to many new places in the realm of Thedas.

I’m privileged to be a part of a team that has been working very hard to surpass every measure they’ve set for themselves. That has meant completing huge amounts of game content, fixing bugs both big and small, and improving the overall experience. This last bit of time is about polishing the experience we want you to see. Ensuring that our open spaces are as engaging as possible. Strengthening the emotional impact of the Hero’s choices. And ensuring the experience you get is the best it can be in the platform you choose to play on.”

I now boldly predict that the game will be released in January 2015.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. nrvsNRG says:

meh….who cares. Theres loadsa games out in October anyway, and if your that bothered about getting the game 3 days later, use a vpn like a normal person.
    edit: Ive never used a vpn on Origin b4 but plenty of times on Steam.

2. Lacessit says:

I think they need more time to diversify their weaponry.

3. Corodix says:

Now I wont have to choose between wasteland 2 and dragon age inquisition as they are further apart :)

4. Earl-Grey says:

This calls for drastic measures.
    Fetch … the comfy chair!

5. RedViv says:

Delays on a 100+ hour game are very welcome.

6. revan says:

Don’t really care. Maybe a few years back I’d go crazy with anticipation. But with RPGs like Divinity: OS here and Wasteland 2 on the horizon, I won’t even look at DA:I sometimes before next year, if even then.

What I saw from the recent gameplay previews doesn’t really make me overly optimistic. Pretty graphics? Yes. Middling combat. Clunky inventory. Just hope there is some decent writing.

7. Christo4 says:

They can complain about lost sales because of piracy and what-not all they want, but if they release a game 1 month after the hype train reached the station of course sales are gonna take a hit.

• Big Murray says:

How does that make any sense as a justification for piracy?

• Grygus says:

Completely disagree. I think if you want your game stolen more, you should keep that ship date written in stone and then give gamers an unfinished, buggy, ideally unplayable mess of code. Pushing the date back and delivering a better game is the best way to make people want to pay for it.

• Christo4 says:

I guess i either formulated my phrase wrong or i got misunderstood.
      I don’t think it’s an excuse for piracy. Just don’t complain about small sales and blame piracy for no reason, when you keep delaying the game and others appear in the mean-time (especially regarding the 1 month delay from console to pc some do)

8. Turkey says:

Hmm. I built a narrative in my head that DA3 owes it’s existence solely on the basis that Skyrim sold a bajillion copies, but I guess they started a little while before Skyrim’s release.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Oh, but don’t let stupid little facts like that ruin your pre-conceived notions about the game :P. That’s awfully close to reconsidering your opinions based on new evidence and that’s a dangerous road to go down.

9. grimdanfango says:

After enjoying Divinity Original Sin recently, it dawned on me that what I was actually craving even more was playing through the old Baldur’s Gate games.
    …Which in turn lead me to realise what I really actually want is a *new* Baldur’s Gate game, (…and implicitly, a new Torment game would be great too)
    …Which in turn made me realise I should bump Pillars of Eternity and Torment Numenera to the top of my anticipated list… because it just so happens that there’s an immiment wave of spiritual sequels to the very games I’m still craving after all these years!

I also noted that I’m far more interested in those than I am in Mass Effect: Fantasy Edition :-)

10. stkaye says:

There’s no way EA would let this slip to after christmas…

11. ecat says:

Released 3 days after the US sounds like a win-win situation to me:
    If it turns out to be a good game I can hopefully still buy it with whatever pre-order bonus is on offer.
    If it turns out to be pants then it ‘s time to break out the pop-corn and head over to the bio-ware forums to enjoy the show.

Having discovered they turned Leliana from a complex and conflicted individual into someone more fitting for the CoD hero role I’m strongly suspecting pop-corn time but I could be wrong.

12. Themadcow says:

I haven’t really been paying attention to this title after what happened with DA2, but can anyone summarise whether this is shaping up to be a proper sequel to DA:O (more focus on pause based tactical combat, overhead views, wide choice of characters / choices) or more like an improved DA2 (Dynasty Warriors combat, focused cinematic storyline)?

Yeah, I’m lazy.

• Big Murray says:

I can summarise in an equally lazy fashion:

It is.

• RedViv says:

It’s more like DA:O in structure (with open areas, somewhere between The Witcher 2 and Skyrim), the combat is not as OTT as DA2, but still along the same line of aesthetics, and… since battles and controls were’t really like Dynasty Warriors at all, I suppose you refer to enemy waves? These they say they are avoiding in favour of fittingly tailored combat encounters.
      So far, Bioware is making damn sure to tell people that the bad of DA2 will be avoided. Anyone telling you otherwise usually just wishes for this series to go back to being completely Infinity Engine, which it will never ever be.

13. BobbyDylan says:

Mhe… Don’t really care. After Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Simshitty and Bafttfail 4, I dont even have the inclination to bitch about EA anymore.

Not pre-ordering it, but if you put it on steam, I might pick it up in a GOTY edition, after I’ve finished Witcher3.

• zhivik says:

My thoughts exactly, though I expect a GOTY edition will take some time, possibly a year. Still, it won’t be a problem, since I’ll have Wasteland 2, then Pillars of Eternity, hopefully The Witcher 3 in February 2015, Torment: Numenera, and of course, a few chapters of Dreamfall: Chapters. All this is more than enough for at least a year, so the Onquisition should wait. Besides, since it’s very likely there will be at least half a dozen of DLCs, i prefer to pay the same price, but for the full game.

• SheffieldSteel says:

Sign me up for the “wait for Witcher 3″ camp.

DA:2 underwhelmed me just enough to make me unsure about this next version. But EA have done so many crappy things to me over the years (Sim City and Settlers games, I’m looking at you) that I’ll happily take any excuse to raise the old digitus impudicus in their general direction.

14. Lion Heart says:

idc about a delay, take the time. but why do us brits have to wait until the 21st? not as if localisation is an issue

• Grygus says:

It takes a couple of days to add all the extra “u”s. This game talks a great deal about honor and doing people favors.

15. Big Murray says:

Further evidence that times may be a-changin’. The big problem with Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 was simply that they were rush jobs, put out to an obvious publisher deadline rather than a developer one. EA would never have let this game’s release date slip under the old regime.

This actually makes me pleased.

16. fluffy_thedestroyer says:

Its always a good sign if a company takes more time to release a game. For the 21th though I’m pretty sure it has something to do with censoring or changing the game for an EU version probably.

17. Marcus says:

I think they did it just because October will be a very busy month in terms of games.

18. Yama1291 says:

The 3 day delay goes back to antiquated industry practices. You can read about it on: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-23-why-are-we-stuck-with-games-being-released-on-a-friday

I don’t mind them pushing the game back 6 weeks. I’ll be spending a lot of time in there so it better be polished.. but the darn Tuesday-Friday release shenanigans need to go, asap.

19. Alfy says:

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

20. bleeters says:

If past experience has taught me anything, it’s that three days is more than enough time for tumblr to painstakingly catalogue every noteworthy moment in the game in elaborate gifset form and flood the internet with them. So, as per usual, fuck your delayed release schedule.

Anyway. Taking the extra time to make the experience the best it can be would certainly be a refreshing change of pace, yes.

21. WiggumEsquilax says:

Assuming I have enough money, inclination, and time.
    After I’ve played through Divinity, Wasteland 2, and Pillars.
    And if Numenara and The Witcher 3 haven’t come out yet.
    I might give it a shot.

• InternetBatman says:

TToN hasn’t even been in full production yet. It’s ramping up right now, but I wouldn’t expect it till 2016.

22. DrManhatten says:

Look at the bright side. That will give you enough time to finish it long before the probably much better Witcher 3 comes out and maybe even enough time to finish Divinity Original Sin by the time it comes out (which so far looks like it is a really looooong game I barely made it out of the town and I have over six hours gameplay time and a quest list already that is as long as my arm)

23. jennifer1 says:

Robot Unicorn Attack

Upon loading up the game and probably startling Google Chrome itself with the absurdness of what I was playing, the word disappointment temporarily fell out of my vocabulary because after even 30 seconds of playing my head was filled with rainbows, amazement, and awe at how simultaneously simple and entertaining the experience was. Aside from the frightening array of colours that would distress even the hardiest of retinas, everything about this game is unbelievably simple and easy to grasp. Taking the fact that you are a mechanical unicorn as given, you are thrown into a bubblegum world of fantasy and sparkle which, upon witnessing it with your own eyes, will make you understand what those Skittles talk about when they bang on about “tasting the rainbow”. As a robot unicorn, your job is to simply run endlessly across terrain, jumping intermittently when the ground beneath you ends and landing on the next platform. The jumps become increasingly difficult as you progress, with terrain and giant star-shaped obstacles getting in your way.

Comment on this story