Thieves, Cyborgs & Hitmen: The Humble Square Enix Bundle

By Alice O'Connor on July 23rd, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

This bundle does not include Killing Floor.

$15 is a very fair price for Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director’s Cut, Just Cause 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, and Kane & Lynch 2, if you don’t already own them. It’s still not bad even if you do have some. That you’d also get at least a dozen other games, ranging in quality from old Thief (at the high end) to Daikatana (on the low), is just gravy.

Square Enix are flogging 16 or so games cheap in the latest Humble Bundle, coming in three tiers depending on how much you fancy spending. It’s well worth a look.

The cheapest tier, pay-what-you-want above $1, gives Thief, Hitman, Hitman 2, Anachronox, Daikatana, and Mini Ninjas. Some of those are jolly good, and well worth whatever you deem them worth. Paying above the average (currently $7.99) also gets you Hitman: Absolution, Deus Ex: Invisible War, the PC port of Deus Ex: The Fall, access to the free-to-play Nosgoth’s beta, Battlestations: Midway, and a yet-to-be-revealed game (or games). Then $15 gets you the whole lot and those other fancy games.

You’ve probably picked up a fair few of these before, but it’s a good load of gaming. It’s also pretty much everything of note Square Enix has released on PC. New games like new Tomb Raider, new Thief, and, er, Murdered: Soul Suspect are understandably absent, of course.

I know how buying bundles goes: you plonk all the games in your Steam account then only ever play two or three. Assuming that you’ve already played most of the big names in this bundle, I will recommend that you try Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days. That game gets a bum rap. It wears out its welcome towards the end, but I had a ball earlier on, playing a balding middle-aged dude who’s stuck with terrible guns, pissing away ammo until he’s forced to scramble closer to enemies to pick up more or swap weapons. It had a very enjoyable feeling of purposeful ineptness. Then ruins it all by handing out snazzy assault rifles. And its dirty, wet, neon-glazed Shanghai is still one of my favourite video game cities.

The Humble Square Enix Bundle will run for the next fortnight.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. kalirion says:

Funny how the $1 tier is so much better than the Beat the Average one…

• rexx.sabotage says:

Donate a buck to your favorite charity and play Anachronox already you slacker, jeez.

2. Ace Rimmer says:

So it includes Thief but not Thief? Thank Space Jesus their naming policy isn’t in any way confusing.

• N'Al says:

The only game exclusively named Thief is the latest one. The others have subtitles; The Dark Project, The Metal Age, and Deadly Shadows, respectively. Should be pretty easy to distinguish the games from each other.

• Damien Stark says:

“Should be pretty easy” says you, yet RPS Professional Games Journalists Extraordinaire have failed at it here. The above post claims that “The cheapest tier, pay-what-you-want above $1, gives Thief, Hitman…”

If Alice here can make that mistake, I think it’s pretty reasonable to assume that other people might be confused whether “Thief” means the first game, or the most recent game.

• rpsKman says:

I pity the fool who thinks he’s getting Thi4f for a dollar.

• YogSo says:

To be fair, that quote from the third paragraph is out of context: Alice had already said in the first paragrah that what you get is “old Thief”, so there was no need to reiterate it again just a couple of lines later.

• Alice O'Connor says:

“Thief” means “Thief: The Dark Project” to me, but that’s a cumbersome name to throw around. New Thief is “New Thief.”

• Yglorba says:

Anyway, in this context it’s described as the best game in the bundle; that alone is enough to clarify that it’s not New Thief.

• Emeraude says:

It’s pretty simple really: there’s Thief, that was released in 1998, and Thiaf, that was never released in 2014.

NO, NO NOI can’t hear you lalalaalalalallalalaalalalalal….

• MkMax says:

It will forever be Thi4f in my heart

3. Ross Angus says:

So glad to hear a positive impression of Kane and Lynch 2. That is an interesting game.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Hooray! Phill Cameron is the only other person I’ve ever known to enjoy it! I hugely enjoyed being an inept cockface in the early game, crawling through neon streets while the game knows full well what kind of pathetic, colossal arse would murder so many people. And yeah, being useless with the garbage early guns was tense and fantastic.

I think people familiar with third-person hiding-behind-car shooters would get a real kick out of K&L2. “Interesting” is a good word for it.

• kwyjibo says:

I liked K+L2 for the aesthetics, the atmosphere and the culture shock.

I didn’t like the shit guns and poor cover controls. Even the snazzy assault rifles were shit. It was a feeling of incompetent ineptness, not purposeful ineptness. IO simply fucked up the controls, or fucked up the AI. It amplifies its artifice by giving your psychopathic mercenary worse aim than a Star Wars extra.

• Ross Angus says:

This is a common complaint about the game, but do you think this was intentional? What would the game be saying about the characters by being made in this way? For example, perhaps the inaccuracy reflects how one would shoot, in such a high adrenaline environment.

• Eukatheude says:

I loved K&L2 too.
      Will likely never play it again though.

jezcentral says:

I could never work out if the enemies were finite, or perma-spawning-COD-style. Does anyone know?

• Deadly Sinner says:

Since everyone has already praised the fantastic visual style and such, I’d like to call out the unique and fun multiplayer. It had you and 7 other guys (I think) steal money and try to get to an escape van. The kicker is that you can kill your teammates for their share of the cash, but it makes the level harder to get through. So the whole thing has an extreme air of paranoia. I had a ton of fun with it, and I wish other games, like Payday 2 or something, would include a mode to emulate it.

4. DanMan says:

This is pretty lame compared to other big publisher Humbles, especially the EA one. The only interesting game for me is the Lara Croft one. The others I either already own or don’t care about.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’d say this is a really good bundle, except that it suffers from the common bundle issue of people already having the good ones and not caring about the rest. I really like playing old games (2004-2006 at the latest) and therefore haven’t bought many new ones, so I generally think these bundles are great. This time, though, I’ll join the crowd who says “but I’ve already got all the one’s I’m interested in”. While I’m sad that they don’t offer any games I’m interested in, at least I won’t increase my backlog.

5. Dinjoralo says:

Since when did Square Enix own Daikatana?
    And the games you get for paying $15 seem weird to me. Deus Ex, The Guardian of Light, and Just Cause 2 have gone on steep sales extremely frequently.

6. frenz0rz says:

Anachronox is one of the funniest games I’ve ever played.

• Kaeoschassis says:

The missus and I have both been swaying over getting Anachronox for awhile now. Seems like you’re a fan.
      Think you can convince me?

• Baka says:

It’s one dollar.

• YogSo says:

One of your companions is a p… No, I don’t want to spoil that surprise ;-)

Seriously, it’s really worth it. The game works kinda like a JRPG, but, in addition to being able to see the enemies around before starting a fight (no random fights a la Final Fantasy), you don’t need to grind because the game automatically levels up your party as you advance if it considers you aren’t at the appropriate level for the next area.

• Mollusc Infestation says:

One of the few games which i’ve found genuinely funny, rather than just amusing or silly. Fantastic writing and world building, excellent cinematography, if games have such a thing, and in urgent need of a sequel (but that probably won’t ever happen, unfortunately).

• DelrueOfDetroit says:

Anachronox is a Final Fantasy inspired, genuinely comedic, adventure-RPG, that was designed by Tom Hall (Commander Keen, Doom) and runs in the Quake II engine.

I got about a quarter of the way through before accidentally deleting my save file. Debating whether it is worth it to start over or just watch the machinima.

• deadly.by.design says:

That’s a good way to describe it — genuinely funny. Too many games are forced. Heck, if you’re into that kind of thing, it’s good enough to even watch as a machinima.

I just wish the end hadn’t been the last we ever saw of its universe.

7. jonahcutter says:

I agree on your K&L Dog Days sentiment. It’s an underrated (and dirty and cracked) little gem.

Shanghai is great. As is the tone. It’s a lean, spare, nihilistic drag-race of a crime story. Something of a modernized, updated grind-house tale, without the standard genre trappings.

And the scene where…

::bit of a spoiler::

they are tortured and end up fighting through the streets while bleeding and naked

::end spoiler::

…is a bonafide crime/action classic in any medium, imo. I put it as spoiler because I so enjoyed being surprised by the absurdity of it.

Definitely worth a play if you’re in the mood for some down-in-the-gutter action.

• kwyjibo says:

It was too ridiculous. How did they survive that? They’re beaten to death and then their bodies are dumped, but video game logic says they can’t be beaten to death, so magic.

For nude fighting, I don’t think you can do better than Eastern Promises.

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

The only game I’m interested in is Kane & Lynch 2, which I knew I should’ve grabbed during the summer sale. Oh well.

9. vecordae says:

Thanks for the head’s up on this one. This is pretty much an amazing deal.

Stellar Duck says:

That’s my childhood and misspent youth on that list…

• LionsPhil says:

I approve of the concept of this list, but it could do with verifiable supporting references.

Or possibly just folding it into PCGamingWiki’s developer metadata.

• Damien Stark says:

I was actually just thinking that most people purchasing Daikatana are basically doing so ironically – “okay, let’s see if this is really as terrible as everyone says it is…”

So I wondered if it’s possible to implement a sort of negative royalty – like everytime someone purchases Daikatana now, it takes a quarter OUT of John Romero’s bank balance…

• Shuck says:

That’s a weirdly unnecessary list (as most non-indie games are owned by publishers, most studios don’t last all that long, developers cycle out of studios even more often, and the terms for most games are set up to make money for the publisher, not the studio and certainly not individual developers even if they are still around). In other words, if you buy a publisher-released game, most likely the only entities making any money from it are the store and the publisher, even for brand-new games.
      A far, far shorter list would be the games that are supporting the developers, but it would be quite hard to figure that out.

• Jason Moyer says:

How many developers get paid after a game has shipped? Outside of self-published games, I can’t see the figure being very high.

10. Baines says:

Tomb Raider isn’t “new” anymore. It is routinely heavily discounted, and its retail price has dropped to $20. It has seen two console releases, with the original version and a later next-gen “definitive” version. It has a sequel due next year.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tomb Raider ends up being an unlocked game.

• MkMax says:

its not THAT tomb raider, its the MUCH OLDER and MUCH CHEAPER coop “lara croft” thingy, its been on sale for less than 2 pounds many many times

• malkav11 says:

The new one is specifically called out as being too new to be in the bundle, which doesn’t really hold water. I would also tend to expect to see it as an unlock.

• MaXimillion says:

It’s also a great game, especially co-op.

11. MkMax says:

a weird $15 tier, those are far from new games i wouldnt be surprised if you could get them for less separately

btw, the best of those games are available without drm at GOG

• Qetsune says:

It’s not that bad actually. Even at their lowest sale prices that I could find, it would still be over $13 just for those five games.

FriendlyFire says:

Yeah, the value problem is when you own some or most of them. It becomes a harder sell when all I’d get new is K&L2 and Lara Croft.

12. Emeraude says:

Looks more like an Eidos bundle really.

13. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Has anyone played Deus Ex: The Fall? I heard it was… not good, at least not for a PC game. Can anyone confirm if it is worth spending money on?

• ResonanceCascade says:

It is a straight port of a middling first person iOS game, so definitely skip it. It isn’t good.

Jalan says:

And since it was placed in a bundle, the prices of its trading cards went right down the tubes.

Oakreef says:

I really liked it. Judging from the general response on the internet I’m the only one who did.

14. honuk says:

I don’t know why people always call these absurd bundles a “great deal.” A great deal to who? Are the people buying them ever going to play these games? Did they play the games in the last seventeen bundles they purchased because they were also “great deals?” Paying money for invisible data you will never access and which you never would have purchased without the illusion of it being a “great deal” is a bad deal. You can tell this is true because everyone keeps offering it to you, again and again.

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

“You’ve gotta spend money to save money” – my father-in-law’s oft-repeated joke.

• The Random One says:

I played several games in the last seventeen bundles I’ve bought. Granted, I haven’t played all of them, but if I play and enjoy two games that would cost ten dollars, and I paid two dollars for them plus three other games I have no intention of playing, it was, in fact, a good deal.

• Emeraude says:

They used to be great deals for people like me, because they were often the only place where one could buy a version of some games that wasn’t DRM filled.

Not so true anymore.

Oakreef says:

I feel like the only person who actually liked Deus Ex: The Fall :(

16. kalirion says:

Wait, aren’t you supposed to be telling us how this game let you make $18,523 in one month out of your home?

17. Darth Gangrel says:

“Yes Tiffany, I agree with Aaron’s idea. Since starting to work at home for google I’ve managed to make 4321 dollars a month” etc. etc.

Hmmm, I rarely ever see any spambots nowadays, which is a good thing, but they’re also like Bethesda game bugs – not always annoying, even amusing at times. Sometimes they added a bit of unintentional humor, like responding to a comment with something as absurd as the above quote. When someone was complaining about expensive games, they even offered “helpful” advice of how to solve that. When you make so much money working at home, you can allow yourself not to care about the price of video games.