The RPS Bargain Bucket: Cat Dog World

By Cassandra Khaw on July 26th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

It’s Comic-Con International 2014, and you know what that means. It’s time for grand announcements about new intellectual properties, gossip about beloved cult TV series, and a truckload of thematically appropriate bargains. (And anecdotes about questionable behaviour, but those appear to be inexorably tied to the convention experience. Sigh.)

Telltale and Daedalic Adventures Weekend Promo
“Games, moth – ” Yes, I know it. To break away from the comic books, here’s your weekly reminder that GOG.com does some amazing things with their stock of digital games. We weren’t fans of Daedalic’s Blackguards, but the Internet was rather in love with Sam & Max Save the World. (Which I personally approve of.) Need even more point-and-click nostalgia? Tales of Monkey Island is going for very, very cheap right now. Take advantage of that. Either way, make sure to spend a few minutes perusing the selection today.

Titanfall
$25.49/£15.01/€18.98
Mechas! Pyrotechnics! Hardcore marines with an impossible gift for free running! Titanfall is, I hope, a game that needs no introduction. Like, seriously, you would need to have been trying rather hard to avoid noticing all the promotional banners smeared across the internet. Even now, the name ‘Titanfall’ is being softly whispered by tribes of subterranean nerds who live, breathe, and die by the name of robot glory.

The Codemasters Bundle – $4.99/£3.99/€4.99
Knowing my luck with these kind of things, the bundle will be over by the time you read this. But, on the off-chance that is not, I highly recommending checking out this conglomeration of titles. At least, if you haven’t already picked up the Overlord franchise and are game to give the other offerings the old college try.

Batman 750 Sale
$0.99/£0.58/€0.74
So, DC decided to celebrate Batman’s 75th (Looking rather spry there, old man!) birthday by putting 750 comics on sale. 750. I’m no Batman girl, but that number kicks posterior like the Caped Crusader. What I really like about this line-up, however, is the fact it even includes titles from the 1940s. If there was ever a time to become infatuated with the Caped Crusader, it’s probably now. P.S: Batman connoisseurs, consider this your invitation to populate the comments with enthused, giddy recommendations.

Image Comics 50% Off Sale
Ignore that unimaginative title. Image Comics saved all their creativity for their actual products which consist of some genuinely weird and wonderful ideas. Rat Queens is, I think, my personal favourite here. The cast is unapologetically rowdy, a snarling mix of razor-sharp wit and some fantastic ideas. There’s a cleric who is an atheist, a hippy halfling, drugs, bad language, and … tentacles. The prices for Saga (space opera with inter-species love, cats, and tabloid journalists) have also been slashed so be certain to get in on the action there.

Also of note:
Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom #1 – Free
This is not the best place to start Joe Hill’s fabulous horror series. Really, it isn’t. You’d do a lot better beginning with the first volume. However, Keys to the Kingdom #1 is currently free, and if you must try before you buy, this is your solution for the weekend.

Grab & Run Bundle – $2.25/£1.33/€1.68
Honestly, I’m just advertising this because it has The Cat Lady, which is wonderfully terrifying. If you haven’t already tried The Cat Lady, you should. You really should. Puzzle-platformer The Adventures of Shuggy is also rather charming. I’m not sure about the rest of the bundle, but I suppose that’s the point with these arrangements.

The Library of Charles Darwin – Free
And finally, just because I can, here is a digitized version of Charles Darwin’s personal library. It’s sprawling, awe-inspiring collection of fiction and non-fiction that spans a multitude of languages. Included are a variety of illustrations, which picture a variety of creatures and some peculiar topography. There are more than 195,000 pages to dig through. Enjoy.

The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition – Free
Are free things still wonderful even when they require you to have Origin downloaded? We’ll leave you to decide. Earlier this week, we devoted an entire news post to the fact that The Sims 2: Ultimate Edition is, indeed, free. You will want to redeem the code ‘I-LOVE-THE-SIMS’ on the website (or through the client) in order to snag yourself a copy. (Thanks for the reminder, Wulfram!)

P.S: Yes, totally still taking plushie submissions.

, .

1. Awesomeclaw says:

RE: The Batman sale, the comics are actually £0.69 on the UK site (where you will apparently need to go if you want to pay with a UK card).

2. KDR_11k says:

No, the robot nerds are whispering “Chromehounds”.

• Dreforian says:

It’s pronounced “Armored Core”, the Chromehounds is silent!

• dE says:

In absence of a proper new Mechwarrior, Armored Core will do. A game where the customization is so vast and complex that many people need a guide to navigate them through the guide to customization… it’s a FromSoft Title alright.

• KDR_11k says:

Armored Core 5 is rather tame in terms of customization, you don’t even need to stick stabilizers on your mech to make it fly right.

• Baines says:

But who is whispering “Shogo”?

3. DrollRemark says:

As someone who has no real interest in digital comics, that’s half of this weeks list immediately off the list for me. :/

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Maybe next week, it’ll be flowers and the balance will be restored.

• Gargenville says:

I was foolishly expecting 400 batman comics for a 75 cents, not 400 batman comics for 75 cents a piece. I guess the fact that seemed even remotely plausible says something about how ridiculously spoiled us gamesfolk are when it comes to deals.

• shimeril says:

That was my first thought too. Yep, Humble Bundles and the like have destroyed our sense of value in digital wares. The Transformers Comics bundle in the Humble Bundle Books tab at the moment is a classic point for context. I bought the first 4 volumes, about 1300 pages, for $1. To be fair it’s the first time I have bought from HB and not bought the full package – but I did feel dirty for being so cheap.

• Baines says:

To be fair, Comixology used to do big free comics deals. Marvel did it twice I believe (because the first time broke Comixology or something?)

Though Comixology had dialed back their free comics efforts even before they were bought out by Amazon.

• Syt says:

It’s not so outlandish. Marvel has an offer where you pay 9.99/month and have unlimited access to an archive of over 10,000 issues.

• Awesomeclaw says:

This was my first thought too, although my reaction on finding out was more ‘oh, obviously’ than ‘oh, disappointment’. I’d still be up for picking up a few individual comics or one of the collections but I have literally no idea where to even start.

4. dE says:

Ah Comixology. Once the best option to buy, manage and read comics on my tablet. Then they announced a great update. I updated. I deleted the app, ignored the free storecredit they gave me for the transition and have never looked at them ever since – and I won’t start now.

If I want to go through your convoluted webfront, which enforces region locks and content locks more than Apple ever did and subject myself to annoying regional pricing, I’d have done that from the start. The sneaky “update” that removed almost all functionality from the App didn’t help. The reason I liked buying comics there, was the ease of use and conveniency. They removed that and made it a convoluted process that takes about 4 times more dealing with stuff I don’t want to deal with and actually managed to make it more comfortable to just drive to the local comics shop. Congratulations.
    Sorry for the rant.

• ThTa says:

I recall them pulling In-App Payments was because Apple started charging a ludicrous fee over those (30%), which is obviously murder for a storefront. But I definitely agree that their web store and region locks are shit. (I used an older version of the Android app for a while, which circumvented the region locks and allowed for easy payments, but that eventually got blocked, too.)

• dE says:

Aye. I understand their motivation behind it and I probably would have been a bit more amicable to it, if it weren’t for the sneaky way they went about it. It was just one day “We’ve got this great update, it’s mandatory but will improve your experience”. And yeah, that update removed all functionality from the App.

I guess the takeaway is that they really need to improve or just all around bugfix their webfront. Every other link leads to a “Something’s not quite right” message. I get logged out constantly, which is a real PITA when trying to buy more than one comic at a time. And discoverability is… bad. They somehow manage to have less useable storefront than Steam does. Which is quite a feat.

thedosbox says:

FYI, they’ve started offering DRM-free “backups” (PDF or CBZ) for a bunch of publishers – e.g. Image, IDW, Top Cow.

• djbriandamage says:

What Comixology does that (I think) no one else does is the guided view. If you read on a small screen like a phone it will zoom in on the current pane and black out all peripheral content. It’s a really enjoyable way to read comics that I haven’t found anywhere else.

That being said, I haven’t bought a thing since they asked me to reenter my payment info. I read comics in bed before sleep and I don’t have my credit card. What a dumb, greedy move to abandon Google Wallet.

• The Random One says:

Personally, I find Guided View insufferable. On my tiny phone, the text is often too small to read, and it’s very fidgety to zoom in from Guided View. And on anything with a large screen (such as a computer) it’s better to just look at the whole screen.

• datom says:

Dark Horse do this too, if you’re interested. It’s called ‘Panel View’ there.

I also can’t handle Guided View – I much prefer the full page – but I totally see why people on phones love it.

• gwathdring says:

It’s weird, but some things can be bought through Comixology but not Image’s own storefront … oh well. DRM-free is DRM-free.

I won’t be buying any Marvel or DC comics until I can all store them on my PC for off-line viewing.

That said, Marvel Unlimited is a pretty sweet deal if you’ve got the free time and the patience for it’s very-slowly-improving browser-based reader. Every so often I’ll drop in for a month and gorge on comics I wouldn’t necessarily want to buy, but wouldn’t have a hope and a prayer of finding in a library. While I’m at it, I test the waters on newer stuff to see if I’d want to pick it up in trades or something down the line.

But I wouldn’t pay a dollar or two per issue for online-only on-demmand reading of single comics.

thekeats1999 says:

My solution to that was to take a screen grab as I was reading any given issue. Admittedly works better if you have a tablet. Instant DRM free back up.

5. hlm2 says:

Why has the Bargain Bucket become decidedly un games-y?

RedViv says:

The Gillen One Did Never Leave The Hive
      Do Not Question

• sirdavies says:

I think it’s ok. The internet is too fast, sales are becoming more common but also shorter and harder to keep track of, and with stuff like Enhanced Steam around the concept of a weekly ‘bargain bucket’ is becoming a bit outdated.

Also they fired Lewie Procter a couple months ago for no apparent reason.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Actually, there were a number of reasons but you can read about that in the forums.

But, yeah. That really is it: most of the best discounts appear to be those that exist only for hours, which makes it rather difficult to collect in a bucket at the end of the week. Discounting everything else (no pun intended), I’m trying to find a peculiar space somewhere in between. More than a few people have expressed pleasure at the idea of the non-gamey offerings, so I’m mixing decent bargains with things that may appeal to geeks.

^_^; It’s not the ideal situation, but we make doooo.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I think it’s safe to assume that a good number of gamers are also in to comics, books, animé (not so much) and toy-like things. I certainly fit in to two of those categories. Books and toys obviously, because I’m well adjusted.

Vandelay says:

I’m happy with the inclusion of the non-games in the bucket. It helped me find the Humble Comic Bundle, which, as someone doesn’t normally read comics, was a great find and has made me want to follow a couple of series (Saga, Chew and Revival likely candidates, although I also enjoyed Morning Glory and Lazarus a lot.)

More focus on games would be good though. I understand it is not always easy due to the annoying habit sites have of only running sales for a short time, but it would be nice to see the majority of the picks being game related (even if they aren’t necessarily games.)

• Cassandra Khaw says:

*nods* Yeah! I’ll ramp that up next week.

welverin says:

While I like Morning Glories, god damn is it convoluted. You’d probably be better off waiting for it to finish, whenever that might be, or just binging on a whole lot of issues at once. Trying to keep track of everything going on while reading it monthly is an exercise in confusion (my poor recall doesn’t help).

Martel says:

Personally I appreciate the non-gaming bargains. I get so much exposure to the gaming ones, and already own all the damn games anyway, that this has been great exposure to new things for me. Thanks Cassandra!

• Viceroy Choy says:

I also like the non-gaming deals. Got some cool books via storybundle :D

• sirdavies says:

I didn’t find anything beyond some scheduling disagreement (?¿). Which isn’t only kind of a weak reason but also it’s weird since the column has continued to be posted with the same regularity. I’m not trying to stir up anything, but a more detailed explanation would have been nice.

I think you’re doing a good job too, I was just explaining that the staff change is partly responsible for the format and content modifications of the column.

• Baines says:

The same irregularity. Though from what Cassandra has said in the past, she’s turned in her articles by her deadline only to see RPS not have them posted on time.

So, yeah. Though not necessarily a surprise that the same rules that apply to a freelancer don’t apply to RPS main staff.

(We were specifically told that Lewie wasn’t fired for cost or political/editorial reasons (the two leading theories at the time, as RPS was still somewhat blindly charging full speed ahead on the social justice train at the time), and that it was instead because Lewie “was unable to agree to editorial deadlines and scheduling routines.” If there is anything else behind the firing, then Rossignol either lied during his damage control or at the very least intentionally misled us. EDIT: I guess conspiracy theorists could also suggest that someone else lied to Rossignol…)

• njursten says:

IIRC Lewie didn’t want to agree to a Sunday noon deadline for the column.

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I rather enjoy the non-games stuff, as long as the best game deals are mentioned, too. I also appreciated the PSN sale mentioned the other week. I would’ve missed it completely. :-)

welverin says:

Yeah, beep the non-game stuff coming. It’s appreciated.

quietone says:

Never bought anything in a non-game sale and never will. But I am glad the diversity is there. I say keep the non-game sales coming.

My only worry is, what will happen when we run out of plushies? Did the Mayans say anything about it?

welverin says:

We’ll never run out of plushies, I could give pictures of fifteen to twenty myself if I bothered to take some pictures (and got a bucket to put them in).

Henke says:

I’m glad for the non-gamey stuff too. Picked up Vol 3 of Saga and I might end up getting the Batman: The Long Halloween series as well. :)

6. Wulfram says:

Free Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, in case people missed it

• InternetBatman says:

I’m having a fairly hard time trying to get it to work on windows 8.

• MkMax says:

What!?, you expect EA to make a game they (until 3 days ago) SELL at their store (and likely keep selling once the deal is over) work in the newest OS iteration of the leader in OS (not the most popular, true, but still…) that has been around for more than a year ?!

MADNESS!, MADNESS I TELL YOU, support ? you want support ? YOU CAN HANDLE THEIR SUPPORT!, now go look at Battlefield 4.5 early access, nice isnt it ? yeeeah, they are so going to support that after a year…..ho ho ho

• HadToLogin says:

Can I start hating Bethesda for not fixing Fallout 3, instead just leaving “might not work on new Windows, but pay us anyway”?

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Embrace your hatred. It’s such a simple fix that it’s just sad to not patch it on steam.

The freezing problems are fixed by just flipping bUseThreadedAI=0 to 1 in the ini file and paste iNumHWThreads=2 beneath.
            The other issues with getting it to run are from Microsofts own fuckupery with the GfWL dependencies in Win7 and 8 (“solved” by installing the standalone client before running the game).
            I’m pretty sure they won’t touch it until MS flips the server switch on GfWL though. Even then, they might just remove it from sale.

• fish99 says:

Yeah it’s freakish weird that Bethesda won’t apply that fix to F3 and FNV, which are both still being sold. They are both totally unstable without it, crashing about every 20-30 minutes, and it’s like a 5 minute fix. Just goes to show how little of a shit they give.

• malkav11 says:

As I understand it, Sims 2 is now free -because- they’re not supporting it anymore.

• The Random One says:

True, but unless my understanding is very flawed, as MkMax pointed out, EA are still selling it on Origin, and even the code for a free copy is only good for a few days according to IsThereAnyDeal.

• fish99 says:

They withdrew Sims 2 from sale on Origin over 6 months ago.

• MkMax says:

windows 8 came out like 2 years ago ?

Mr. Anderson says:

“P.S: Yes, totally still taking plushie submissions.”

And where can we submit them?

thedosbox says:

Click on Cassandra’s name at the top of the story.

• Ross Angus says:

Don’t forget to whisper the incantation to Horace as you do so. It’s the correct procedure.

8. steviebops says:

I just couldn’t get in to Titanfall. Having to play a co-op campaign to unlock the extra mechs, only to find that not enough people were still playing that campaign probably had something to do with it.

• malkav11 says:

There’s no coop in Titanfall. Nor is there a proper campaign. And yeah, even a month after release the multiplayer campaign was an insanely one-sided, underpopulated affair so frustrating that it turned me right off the game. I don’t think I’ll ever get the third Titan, not that I play at a level where it would even matter. I should probably go back and at least try the proper multiplayer modes, though, just in the name of giving my $50 investment a fair chance. I doubt I’ll get much more out of it, though. I am officially very upset with all the people that kept going “oh! I normally hate multiplayer shooters except maybe for TF2, but by golly, this one gets past that.” They suckered me into buying it since the only multiplayer shooter I have ever enjoyed was TF2. And go figure, Titanfall is NOTHING like TF2. Not in even one of the ways that made me like TF2. Not one.

9. Tei says:

Getting free things in Origin feel like getting a reward on cookies to enter a pub that don’t have alchool (but that promise that will have aloohol soon). I mean.. thanks EA!, is not like I want Sim2 or the balls game whatisname. But maybe origin will only be used in a limited way, because sells a limited number of games, theres not much to it that thant.

• Gargenville says:

It all feels so shoddily planned, I installed Origin because I wanted Peggle (no regrets btw) and expected them to go nuts with deals on the storefront to rope all their new users into the ecosystem but there’s just nothing particularly compelling going on. It’s as if their goal wasn’t to get people to actually spend money in the Origin store, they just wanted to pump their userbase numbers for the next shareholders meeting or something.

• The Random One says:

Well, if you didn’t have Origin, and now do, you’re more likely to spend money on an Origin sale the next time there is one. There are other ways to get people to spend money other than shouting at them until they relent.

welverin says:

On the House, the reason Peggle is free, is an ongoing program that’s been around for a bit now. They can’t be running big events to sucker you into buying more stuff constantly.

• MkMax says:

I installed Origins for the humble origin bundle, i did not play any games however (i used Steam), i actually used for the first time for the titanfall beta and then titanfall full (got a key somewhere else, origin wanted like 70 euros for it, HA!), since then ive only fired it up occasionally to add “on the house” games and then goes off again

the store is worthless, they reduced prices somewhat for my region by implementing Mexico’s discounts all over LA, but the DLC is still in euros and the discounts are mostly for preordering specific games, its not even good at promoting whats available, every time i look at it its the same games, dragon age 3 is the newest thing they have in there and the ad has been there the last 6 months

10. malkav11 says:

I would just buy the first volume of Locke and Key if you’re curious about it. It’s one of the best comics in the last decade or more, and odds are good that you will get your money’s worth.

11. Dances to Podcasts says:

Definitely recommend Sex Criminals and Saga (Image comics sale)!

…What do you mean, Batman?

• gwathdring says:

I was reading Saga Vol 1 which I got in the Image comics bundle to see if it was worth springing for Vol 2 on sale. I meant to read the first issue. I finished the volume straight through and immediate nabbed 2 and 3. :D

• The Random One says:

Saga is beautiful, the true definition of a space fantasy epic. Few comics have been more imaginative or have so well-rounded characters and situations. A must read for any comic fan.

Sex Criminals is… a creative idea that was, to my eyes, squandered. It’s not bad, it’s just not very good, either. I only read the first issue (not the first trade paperback – the actual first issue) so maybe it picks up later on, but my present recommendation would be to skip it.

• malkav11 says:

I wasn’t convinced of Matt Fraction’s genius by my first encounter with him, the wacky but incoherent Casanova. His work on Hawkeye and Sex Criminals, on the other hand, have firmly cemented him as among the leading lights of modern comics. Goddamn, so good.

• Turkey says:

It’s weird that they never include Prophet in any of these sales. It’s by far my favorite ongoing Image book.

welverin says:

That would come down to the creators I believe, Image comics are creator own and (I believe) the creators decide pretty much all of the details of how things work with them.

• Turkey says:

Ah, Okay. That makes sense.

• datom says:

Jim Zub suggested that the process is that Comixology asks Image, then Image asks the author. I have seen Prophet reduced on several occasions (there was a sale in June last year, and Remission was $2.99 in the Black Friday sale) before so it’s more likely that Image chose not to include them.

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Does anyone recommend Two Worlds 2? The complete game is going for cheap on Steam. I understand it’s a bit wonky, but the magic system looks fun.

• alsoran says:

No. Step away from Two Worlds 2.

• malkav11 says:

It’s better than the first one! For what that’s worth.

• mwoody says:

There are two types of responses when that question is asked: those who played mages, and those who hated the game.

It has the most interesting spellcrafting systems in any game of its type. Set the game to hard from the very beginning and play a full-on caster and you’ll have one of the most enjoyable curves – from brutally hard to god of the universe – in recent memory.

The multiplayer is absolute shite, though. Pretend it doesn’t exist.

• MkMax says:

i liked it a lot in the beginning for the magic system, the world seemed huge, i kept wondering what i would find in the 2/3rds of the world map that is walled off from the player for most of the game….. then i got there…. *shakes head sadly*

13. shimeril says:

Thanks for mentioning that Darwin Online project. That is completely awesome. Never heard of it before.

14. MarkB says:

Thanks for recommending Rat Queens. I just finished reading Vol 1 and loved it. On a related note I’m totally okay with comics popping up on the bargain bucket. I got into comics quite recently by stumbling upon the Image Comics Bundle that was linked here and I’ve gotten a lot of enjoyment out of them since then. So yeah, I might be in the minority on this but I’m glad you include this stuff instead of just sticking to games.

welverin says:

Give Skullkickers a try, there’s a fair chance you’ll enjoy that as well. It’s written by Jim Zub and also from Image.

15. Raoul Duke says:

Sadly that Titanfall offer seems to be limited to US citizens and involves funky linking of Amazon accounts to Origin accounts.

16. datom says:

While I think it’s really great that the Bargain Bucket is covering other media, it’s a bit of a limited selection. For example, this weekend there were digital comic sales on:

The Walking Dead Humble Bundle – pay as much as you like for five Image/Skybound titles including the superb Witch Doctor, and $15 or more for 6 WD volumes, DRM-free
    Transformers Humble Bundle – 1000pgs of Transformers, DRM-free, including MtMtE
    Dark Horse Not At SDCC Sale – the superlative Mind Mgmt for 99c an issue plus tons of others
    100 Submit Comixology comics for $10, drm-free
    The Cape, Love and Rockets, Queen & Country for 45c (yes, 45c) from Comixology
    Top Shelf massive sale at Comixology, including Moore’s From Hell, the Cannon’s Double Barrel/Far Arden etc, tons of amazing stuff, much of it DRM-free

The point being, I’d recommend either going the whole hog and list everything available as a digital comic on sale that week, or leave it to games, because there’s such a plethora of good sales on digital comics every weekend it probably needs its own post to hit all the really exciting stuff (Saga reduced from $1.99 to .99c for the umpteenth time, when it was bundled in a Humble Bundle two months ago….). I know that it’ll never be fully comprehensive but there were some truly amazing discounts – much more so than the Image/Batman – that we might not see again.

Oh, and buy Zero. And The Goon. Definitely The Goon.