Grand Theft Oh Whoah: iCEnhancer Mod Updated

By Alice O'Connor on July 28th, 2014 at 5:00 pm.

Shiny.

Fan-made replacement models and textures whatnot have been jazzing up games for decades, but recent years have seen the curious development of custom cinematography. Tools like ENB and SweetFX jack into a game’s rendering pipeline, letting people create their own vision by tweaking things like lighting, shadows, colours, reflections, anti-aliasing, and all manner of blooms and blurs. While some try to bring a look closer to reality, others go more moody.

Perhaps the most popular of these for Grand Theft Auto IV is iCEnhancer, adding enough fancy effects and tonal tweaks to make a six-year-old game look fresh as a daisy. Version 3.0 has now arrived, with plenty of new prettiness and a little extra performance.

iCEnhancer is built around SweetFX and ENB, with some other changes and optional high-res textures for roads, vegetation, fancy blood, and metallic car paint. You’ll find the lot on the official site. Adding all this stuff naturally affects performance, so you might want to nab this low-end config if it’s too taxing for your PC. Creator Hayssam Keilany recommends a few other mods too.

Version 3.0 brings moving clouds, better godrays, motion blur, and other fanciness. This may be the last release for a while, as Keilany is taking a break, a bit upset with The Internet.

But if iCEnhancer’s showy cinematic look isn’t for you, hey, oodles of other folks are making profiles and mods for GTA IV. The wonders of downloadable cinematography!

Here, look at how pretty and shiny this is (and gosh it definitely is shiny):

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BarryAllen says:

“a bit upset”

Can’t help but think there’d be a 3000 page article about this if the dev was a grill

• czc says:

Well everyone loves a good grill.

• Gyro says:

Good lord, of course there would be a 3000 page article about this if the dev was a grill!

Do you realize the implications not only for game development but for our understanding of sentience as we know it if a grill developed this?

On the other hand if you were misspelling the word “girl”, you clearly have a poor understanding of why RPS addresses feminist issues and what it is concerned about when it does.

• Necroscope says:

As soon as the 3000 word article goes live they bus in a comments section

• Keyrock says:

If the dev was a grill, I would write 3000 words myself about the pros and cons of charcoal briquette and propane development and which one was ultimately superior.

• BarryAllen says:

Why when we all know Propane is superior, the Prophet Hank Hill told us so

• sinister agent says:

Gas barbecues are not barbecues at all. They are the False Ones, and the charlatan Hill their Goldstein.

• TheRealHankHill says:

YOU’RE GOT DANG RIGHT I TELL YOU H’WHAT. YOU KNOW H’WHAT SON, I LIKE YOU. YOU HAVE A GOOD HEAD ON YOUR SHOULDERS. #TasteTheMeatNotTheHeat #C3H8 #Propanelyfe

c-Row says:

If you think this looks great, wait till you see the indie game my fridge is working on.

• GameCat says:

Are we have sentient grills already? Does it hurt them when you’re grilling sausages and hamburgers?

• Keyrock says:

If it’s proper Polish kielbasa or German bratwurst from a legit butcher, then no, it does not hurt, they like it. If it’s some crappy Hillshire Farms type sausages, then yes, they find it excruciating.

• GameCat says:

Hah, I’m actually from Poland.

What if it’s stay-healthy model that only allows grilled fish?

2. Tei says:

From: The Internet
    To: Mr. iCEnhancer

Sorry. We are so sorry.
    Please continue making awesome happens.

The Internet.

• Necroscope says:

You have my support for all your good work!

• Max Planck says:

Oh, while you are here: Please stop with the cat thing, enough already.

3. thebigJ_A says:

I’d love this but I can’t even get vanilla GTA4 to play very smoothly on my rather good PC with brand new bits in it. Playable, but not smooth. It’s so damn ugly though…

• noodlecake says:

ditto. It’s a fab game and I should be able to use some of the nifty graphic enhancing mods but the performance is so poor anyway when it shouldn’t be. :/

4. Chorltonwheelie says:

Ah! I purchased GTA4 on the last Steam-o-sale. Thought I’d have a dabble while waiting for 5 to arrive.

This will be just the encouragement I need. Good work that man Heyssam, good work.

5. Dale Winton says:

What sort of super computer do you need to run this ? Considering the vanilla game runs like a sick dog on my very own supercomputer I can’t see this mod helping

Thirith says:

I’m surprised at the people who say that their new computers barely run vanilla GTA IV smoothly. Have you guys turned up the view distance, number of objects etc. to the maximum? If so, there’s absolutely no need for this. Or are you going for 4K gaming? My machine is 3-4 years old and it runs the game perfectly well, with framerates between 45 and 60.

• Werthead says:

Same here. My three-year-old PC sporting a 550ti runs GTA4 with absolutely everything jammed up to the max with no problems at all.

• UncleLou says:

I am confused as well, I don’t even know how my since upgraded PC runs it, but it ran like a dream (even with the ICE etc. mods installed) a couple of years ago.

• iainl says:

Before my most recent upgrade, I had awful performance. The game doesn’t need much in the way of GPU power when you bring down the options to something closer to what the 360 runs at, but because this is a port from that version, it seems to get very upset if it finds fewer than the three CPU cores it’s used to having. As soon as I bought a quad-core box it’s as happy as a happy person.

7. SominiTheCommenter says:

OR you could just get Watchdogs and get an actually good game to boot.
    Just saying.

• kevmscotland says:

GTA 4 is an infinitely better game than Watchdogs.
      Just Saying.

• Zyrusticae says:

Countering an opinion with another opinion:

GTA IV has, quite frankly, really not so great gameplay. It’s fun to run around and take in the sights and sounds and admire the Euphoria behavior engine (which is, frankly, underutilized in gaming) but playing the actual game tends to be boring than not. It is worth noting that the attention to detail is beyond almost anything you see in gaming these days, so there’s that.

But playing as an actual GAME, Watch Dog just works better. Better gunplay, better world traversal, better activities, etc., etc., etc. It’s not as good a world simulation but for the purposes of minute-to-minute gameplay this really doesn’t have that much of an impact unless you’re really only playing for the virtual tourism. Not that there’s anything wrong with that – it’s just two different styles of game. Recognize it for what it is, rather than just saying one is simply superior to the other.

Nogo says:

Ya, GTAIV doesn’t have the best gameplay if you ignore all that driving around nonsense. Grand Theft Auto is about cars. And the cars are great.

Watch Dogs is just a terrible, terrible, soul-crushing game. It’s a buggy mess, the controls are clunky and frustrating, and I can go on like this. It’s barely playable.

Would’ve been a great game if they got rid of all that Assassin’s Creed garbage. God forbid a major studio be given the freedom to make a $3 million Uplink, which is what they apparently wanted to do. Instead we get to “Push X to make a billboard say an outdated internet meme” and a motorcycle that can stop trains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8hLYvIoNl4

• Baines says:

Video game trains are obviously binary. Either they can be stopped by everything (like Watch Dog’s motorcycle) or stopped by nothing (like the horde of GTA Online “Train versus [insert number][insert large vehicle]” videos on YouTube).

• UncleLou says:

I am with you. I actually love GTA IV to bits, and it is to this day the only GTA game I have finished, and that includes playing GTA V – but Watch Dogs has better AI, much better shooting mechanics, better driving (well, better than GTA V, on par with IV), and for once, I didn’t even mind Ubisoft’s icon-chasing game design because it actually made a little sense in the context of the game. It totally lacks R*’s world-building, but the gameplay mechanics are basically *all* better, and often significantly so.

I did play the PS4 version though, which ran super smooth, and I haven’t encountered any bugs.

• Laurentius says:

but also Aiden”hoarse voice” Pearce, one of the worst video game character ever created.

• BarryAllen says:

Best joke I’ve ever seen on this website

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

San Andreas was the last good GTA game. Bite me.

• fish99 says:

Watch Dogs isn’t dreadful, but it’s no GTA.

• Terragot says:

Almost got me there!

Chaz says:

Does this work with the Steam version yet, or do you still have to arse around trying to downgrade it and likely end up screwing your install?

Rizlar says:

Pretty sure you can roll back to previous versions of steam games by right clicking on the game > properties > beta opt in whatever, then pick a version from the drop down menu.

Chaz says:

Except that in GTA VI’s case, the base Steam version is already a later release than the one used by the full version of ICE. Sorry, iCE.

• Asurmen says:

Doesn’t matter. You can still roll Steam version back to the appropriate one for Ice.

• Universal Quitter says:

I’m entirely sure you can’t. I just checked, and GTA IV doesn’t even have a “betas” tab.

Modding that game has always been a hassle wrapped up in a burden, Steam or no Steam.

• iainl says:

I wondered the same thing, so thought I’d go digging for some sort of documentation – it turns out the website has downloads for both the current Steam release and the old one people are used to using with the old release.

Chaz says:

I think the one adapted for the Steam version though is running a cut set of features. Couldn’t tell you what though.

9. BobbyFizz says:

Just fired up GTA IV for the first time in ages, but it need GFWL to save? Is there a fix for that?

Sinomatic says:

I had icenhancer 2.0N on the install on my last PC. I think it had more realistic/normal lighting and colours then, which I prefered, though I’m sure someone, somewhere has come up with a way to tweak it to look that way,

I’m sorely tempted at giving this a shot, as I spent a ridiculous number of hours just wandering in Liberty; I’m just worried I may never come back again if they’ve made it look even better.