Riftlight My Fire: Rust Devs Show Arcade Shooter Prototype

By Graham Smith on July 28th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

What do you do when your released games unexpectedly make all the money in the world? Use some of it to create prototypes of other games, I guess. Facepunch Studios, makers of Garry’s Mod and Rust, are beginning to write about different projects they’ve been developing. The first is Riftlight, an arcade shooter with “light-RPG” elements like levelling and skill trees. Over on the Facepunch blog, designer Adam Woolridge has concept art, early in-game footage and other details, some of which I’ve picked out below.

I’m particularly fond of this direct question, as more developers need to announce their game by answering “why bother”:

Why make another space shooter game?

Because:

• I like fast paced, arcade twin stick shooters.
  • I like loot hunting games.
  • I like picking talents and abilities and equipping different gear to change the way the I play the game.
  • I like finding cool new places to kill cool new baddies in randomly generated levels.
  • I like playing co-op with a couple of friends and I like getting better gear than them :)
  • I want to play on my PC and also on a big TV in the living room, using my new Steam Machine.

…and I haven’t found a game that is all of those things, or I’d already be playing it.

I can’t actually embed the video here, but I’m also particularly fond of these colourful mock-ups:

It doesn’t sound like there’s necessarily a guarantee that Riftlight will happen; one of the reasons Facepunch are showing these prototypes is to gauge what interest there is in them. If there is no interest, then presumably they won’t continue working on them. That doesn’t seem likely in this instance, but what I’m saying is: there is a Riftlight, it might never get out. (This labored pun wouldn’t fit in the title field).

You can find more images, details and that video through on the devlog.

(It seems worth pointing out – since people are insane – that development of Rust is continuing at the same pace as before and this and any other prototypes Facepunch show are being made by different people at the company.)

, .

Craig Pearson says:

My, what a handsome game development studio.

2. sebmojo says:

Looks fun. I’ll keep an eye out for that.

slerbal says:

They really are, sometimes worryingly so! It is a shame that this toxic side of game fans so often rises to the surface, but it does and annoyingly it happens to all of us (I have definitely been guilty of this madness) :(

Aside from that though – sounds fun! I always have space in my heart for more good co-op games :)

4. Hydraulic Meerkat says:

“since people are insane”

Getting awfully tired of your S##t, Gary.

Luckily The Forest came out to keep me busy. Made in a shorter time by a smaller, and poorer, team, and is already more complete than both ‘branches’ of Rust.

• Distec says:

Not really the same games.

• spamenigma says:

Oh look! one of the insane ones found its way on here….

• Hydraulic Meerkat says:

It’s just dismissive. Treating customers who supported them in early access as pests isn’t the best PR move.

• spamenigma says:

What’s dismissive? The fact they got hurled a load of misinformed comments by people (who appear to me not dissimilar to yourself) who seem to comment and rage without thought and so he explained the situation. He’s very clearly helped put the record straight in a well put blog. Unfortunately wasted on the tl;dr demographic of commenters who just want to rant and join the troll train.

• Hydraulic Meerkat says:

Development has been moving at a snails pace ever since so many supported him, which is kind sure fire way to piss off your supporters. He shouldn’t be acting surprised. And the “game design is hard, guys, that’s why it takes a month to make a new model or texture” stuff is just insulting our intelligence.

I’ve since moved on and don’t even think about the game unless it comes up like this. Just voicing my disappointment with what many people used to agree was a very promising game which is now inexplicably stuck in development hell.

• spamenigma says:

Its not moved at a snails pace at all, if you read the blogs or twitter feeds or see the almost daily updates happening to rust there is a lot going on and in! There are people who lacking the understanding in the move they made to start over with making the game because things were not going to go well with the code they were amending in the current playable build. They give a weekly update on what they are doing and I don’t see anything as inexplicable! To make the game with the vision they had they had to step back first, redo a lot of code and things are looking pretty good from what I’ve seen. People need to stop being babies and appreciate things take time and be patient rather than rant at the devs for some “inexplicable” reason.

• DrollRemark says:

Whilst their response doesn’t sound like it’s going to do much to quell the angry corners of the internet, it’s worth remembering two important things here:

1) Adding more and more people to a piece of work does not make happen quicker.
          2) If Early Access nets them far more money than they ever expected, they’re well within their rights to budget some of that onto other projects. Thanks to Kickstarter and its love of stretch goals, people now assume that anything over-target must roll back into the project, when that shouldn’t be true at all. As I said before on one of the Star Citizen stories, I don’t get why Chris Roberts doesn’t just say “thanks for all your money, this will just be profit now,” rather than tacking on more and more extras to the game.

• anon459 says:

Chris *claims* to keep adding more to the game to get more people to donate. I’m nearly 100% sure most of the donation money will be taken as profit. He just can’t actually *say* that because that would hurt business. He’s making more money off of his currently non-existent game than most devs make off of a finished one and he wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize that.

• Gamboni says:

If it’s not clear, that’s not Garry saying that but Graham. Garry’s response, if you click the link, is actually very level-headed.

5. tangoliber says:

This looks great and I will obviously buy it. Nuclear Throne also fits their “Why bother” list….and it is also awesome.

6. Eery Petrol says:

The art is wonderfully vibrant, but level boundaries that are not pixel-clear in the graphic style make me cringe. Especially for something skill-based like an arcade shooter.

here’s their image showing actual boundaries: