Peeking Mandatory: Splitscreen Shooter Screencheat

By Alice O'Connor on July 28th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Hey, you cheated!

I would quite like to see more cheating soon. Not that nasty awful cheating, the one that ruins multiplayer games for everyone but the cheater, but the idea of cheating. Double Fine’s Hack ‘n’ Slash is built around cheating with a memory editor, and now Screencheat demands players peek at each other’s screens in splitscreen.

Screencheat’s a competitive multiplayer first-person shooter with splitscreen for up to four players. Except. All players are invisible, so you’ll need to look at everyone else’s portion of the screen and analyse their view to figure out where they are. (So you can shoot them dead, obv.)

I’m curious to see what it looks like between players who’ve played a lot and learned the levels. Players who walk around staring at the ground, navigating from memory and only looking up once they’re upon their victim. Players who try to fake others out by hovering about generic-looking areas. Players who loudly declare where they are, relying upon superior FPS skills to juke and dodge and take down people charging towards them. Who knows! Level design will need to support interesting tactics. Screencheat may look like an FPS (though one played through others’ eyes too so what does that mean for “first-person”?) but demands different skills and types of play.

Screencheat’s being made by Samurai Punk, expanding the prototype created during this year’s Global Game Jam (which you can still play). If you sign up for the beta, you’ll get to play from August 4 to September 3, with an update in the middle due to add a new map, weapon, and mode. After that, the beta will continue for £7.25 pre-orders on Steam until it launches in October.

I would still like to see actual cheaty cheats facing each other too. I fondly recall Ratbot duels with chums in Quake 2, though it was a bit inept on dialup in those pre-lag compensation days. When everyone could kill each other from a mile away, skill came back around to knowing maps and moving well to stay behind cover. What goes on in those special ‘cheaters-only’ matchmaking queues we hear about? Let’s have cheating competitions, embracing digital sports as weird cyberthings. Players primed with hitbots and wallhacks, honing configs to perfection like racecar engineers and selecting v1.79b of their speedhack over the latest because it feels smoother to them. What shape might an FPS made for cheaters take?

, , , .

1. TechnicalBen says:

I’d suppressed those rounds of “Man with the Golden Gun” in Bond on the N64… now their back. I’m going to curl up and cry in the corner for a while…. thanks RPS.

2. ersetzen says:

Short note: Hack’n'slash doesn’t have a fake memory editor. It uses a decompiler to actually change the game files as you manipulate them ingame.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Ah, that’s true! It’s fake in the sense that it’s meant to be there, a tool built into the game, and not something illicit running on the side, but you’re technically right.

3. jingies says:

I remember as a youth, constructing an elaborate cardboard divider that attached to an amiga 1200 screen to stop exactly this sort of thing while playing Gravity Power.

• brulleks says:

I remember draping a sheet over a box encasing my tv and spectrum, and hiding under it to take my move in Chaos and Laser Squad, to stop my friend screencheating.

4. anon459 says:

I’ve spent my entire life in preparation for this game.

slerbal says:

An interesting idea and potentially a lot of fun.

Will the idea be able to sustain an entire game as at the moment it looks like something that would be fun for a single session? Also it is really tough for indie multi-player games to sustain their numbers so it needs to be a game that can sustain itself with just your immediate friends.

Still, it is a neat idea though one that would certainly melt my brain :)

6. qrter says:

God, that Screencheat thing sounds incredibly tiresome.

And I don’t mean tiresome as in ‘dull’, but as in ‘mentally draining’.

7. Wytefang says:

I was excited about this until they said you’re going to be invisible. I mean, it sounds creative and all that but otherwise it sounds like it’d get really tiresome after a while. I’ll pass. Still waiting for a normal FPS with split-screen on PC. That would be cool.

8. Marcus says:

Could it be the first SPS (second person shooter)?

9. Twisted says:

Can somebody please do this, but slightly less action-oriented (slower), with a large number of NPCs to shoulder your way through while you stalk your invisible prey?

Comment on this story