Undying: The Walking Dead Season Three Announced

By Alice O'Connor on July 29th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Z-z-z-zombiiieee!

Take game developers to a comic convention and they’ll get all giddy. They drink fizzy drinks, eat free candy, get their photo taken with seven Iron Mans, grab every promo t-shirt in sight, then, just before they break down in tears and beg to go home, they tell everyone what they’re making.

We may not yet have seen how Season Two of Telltale’s The Walking Dead game ends, but thanks to San Diego Comic-Con we do know that a third season will follow it.

Telltale president Kevin Bruner confirmed Season Three during a panel at SDCC on Saturday. When asked, he’d only say that they are “going to do” it and that it’s coming “not this year.”

Season Two is nearing its climax, with the fifth and final episode due “soon.” Episodes seem to arrive ten weeks apart, so let’s have a guess at September 30. Knowing a third season is coming doesn’t really risk spoiling the end, given Telltale’s fondness for killing off beloved characters and protagonists. I suppose we can now feel confident that the entire world isn’t cleansed with nuclear fire, or hit by a comet, or all a dream. Reader dear, what would you want to see, or not see, from a third season?

Skip to 18:10 to see the terse announcement:

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. altum videtur says:

Clementine >> Clemency >> Crowbar
    well played tattletale
    thought the girl been carrying that flame in a pocket all this time just to be a beacon
    joke’s on us
    it was meant for Moloch

2. Solidstate89 says:

I’m really hoping there will be a Season 2 of The Wolf Among Us.

3. treat says:

I’d like to see an actual game come out of season 3. Season 2 has been a half-hearted string of meaningless dialog choices interspersed with repetitive and uninteresting “point and press trigger–press down arrow–mash the A button” action sequences that feel just about identical to one another. The single, short and simplistic puzzle shoehorned into each episode feels tailored to an audience telltale assumes are unwilling to think, essentially boiling the scenarios down to something out of a hidden object game. It feels as though the meat of what makes the Walking Dead an actual interactive experience was thrown out in favor of excessive gore and a ham-fisted message

• Atrocious says:

I have to agree. The more I play the series, the more I get disappointed with it. Season 1 was very interesting but probably had the same flaws as Season 2. It just wasn’t as obvious in the beginning. 400 days and season 2 feel like the same sh*t over an over again.
      – I get it, all my friends die sooner or later. Ok. You don’t shock me with that anymore.
      – Quick time events are bad in any game, but in Season 1 I could overlook them for a while. Now they feel increasingly annoying to me.
      – What bothers me the most are the meaningless decisions. You may think that your choice influences things, but really in almost all cases the result is the same. I happen to have created an interactive dvd once and I designed the choice diagram behind it. We put more effort into actually having multiple results for a choice than Telltale did with their game.

• WiggumEsquilax says:

I doubt very much that the writers are allowed to give players persistent path deviations. Never mind allowing for player choice to keep or kill multiple characters, into the long term.

I doubt that the financial cost of having branching paths, is even the primary reason for there not being any.

One canon to rule them all. With player choice having small enough impact to be easily glossed over, in any future referencing of Clem’s story.

I know that the comics and the show aren’t exactly in lockstep. But assuming that the video game adaptation gets the same respect and authority, even today, is assuming a lot.

• Deadly Habit says:

Agreed. I’d have loved it if they’d have done more with the DLC characters or had tried to add more puzzles like Season 1 instead of dropping them. It seems like your choices really make no difference this season. Hell I was hoping episode 3 would be like the Negan arc from the comics, but it ended quickly.

• Slazer says:

I think my problem is that I don’t really like anyone from the new season by now, Clementine became a do-it-all hero and Kenny isn’t what he used to be.

The Wolf used the same mechanics and felt much better. After fighting some of the baddies over there, the Zombie scenes seem too slow in comparison

• Deadly Habit says:

Yea this season has Clem as a mary sue and Kenny def is not developed as much as Season 1. It’s like the writers phoned in this season. Have yet to play Wolf, but I keep hoping they’ll do more Sam and Max as they nailed that. What they’re doing with The Walking Dead (love the comics and buy on release days, the show is meh but keep watching it) has me worried as a A Song of Ice and Fire reader doing a Game of Thrones game. Even though the Cyanide GoT RPG had a great story it was started before the HBO show and had GRRM’s involvement even a cameo. I’m worried they’ll go on some tangent that would never happen in the books kinda like how the show has added filler or cut characters.

• Scelous says:

I agree with you, but I’m not sure what the ham-fisted message is, and I’m curious. What is the message?

• Coming Second says:

Life is pointless and then you die.

• Distec says:

Pretty much. At least that’s what Season 2 apologists would like you to think.

It’s a pretty crappy and easy theme, and a great excuse for poor writing.

• Coming Second says:

Oh, I’m not a “season 2 apologist”. I don’t even think Telltale had a clear theme in mind when they wrote it, however how it’s come out has certainly made “everything is pointless” the main message. Interesting possibilities, situations and characters have been thrown to one side for the next catastrophe and string of predictable and tension-free quicktime events; a lack of direction and periods of calm has made the violence and death of characters utterly numbing. The “Barry Muggins will remember this” messages have become laughable, because it has become palpable that I could say or do anything with these characters, it won’t matter at all.

Lee could define himself by how he treated Clementine, Bigby by how he treated the denizens of Fabletown. They were held to account for their actions at the end. That simply cannot happen with Clem – she’s had zero agency in what’s happened around her. It’s a nihilistic game via lazy design and, since Episode 4, has stopped being much fun to play through.

• Distec says:

Sorry, I wasn’t calling you an apologist.

I just had a quick browse through the Telltale forums and there’s a lot of “People die for no good reason. Because that is realistic. And that makes good storytelling! You’re just mad because it doesn’t end in a rainbow.” Those were the people on my mind.

• JeepBarnett says:

The theme that I see, especially in the latest episode, is the balance between innocence (Sarah) and self reliance (Jane). Both extremes cause harm to those characters and Clementine has to navigate the middle.

Jane lost her younger sister and Clementine always wanted an older sister. Both know that they fill that role for each other. There’s also the themes with Elisabeth’s child being from one of 2 fathers and potentially replaced by Kenny.

4. kalirion says:

Anyone else read the first word of the post title and think it was about a next Undying game, before being disappointed by the words that follow?

• Deadly Habit says:

I dunno I love Undying and Clive Barker, but he’s given up horror for a hot minute and Jericho was a hot mess AI wise which would have me worried at anything his name gets attached to gaming wise now.

• kalirion says:

I doubt Clive Barker personally wrote the AI code, maybe he could be convinced to have better devs make his next game?

Jalan says:

MercurySteam is a competent developer, as the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow games have shown. Doing a squad-based FPS was just not in their wheelhouse.

(While I’m at it) a sequel to Undying would be fantastic. There’s no place in EA for subtle horror anymore though. It’s all the frightening prospect of in-app purchases and half-hearted ingratiating to its customers by tossing random free games at them.

5. Distec says:

Better writing. And a better disguise.

Season 2 isn’t terrible. It had a really strong start and seemed to be going places. But around Episode 3, and ESPECIALLY Episode 4, you can tell this has not been a well-planned season. People have scant character development or act inconsistent with what’s been previously established. Determinant characters get axed in ways that are sudden, anticlimactic, and meaningless. When I saved somebody’s life only to have them get unavoidably mauled twenty minutes later in the same play session, I felt annoyed and rolled my eyes. Places of interest and import are rushed through so we can get to the planned finale, but I couldn’t give you a sense of where it’s all heading because the episodes don’t seem to have any consistent theme or direction.

The actual mechanics of these titles don’t help. You could start to see the seams of the game by the end of the first season, but I could forgive it because I wasn’t totally sure what to expect the first time around and the experience had been thoroughly engrossing. Coming into Season 2, unable to unknow what I already know, everything’s so much more transparent and disappointing. Both seasons have characters that die no matter what, but at least Season 1 rewarded me with some good dialogue and character arcs for their extended survival.

The thing is, I didn’t have these problems with Wolf Among Us, even if they are mechanically identical. Maybe because the setup and story are different, and there’s far less “WHO WILL LIVE TO SEE THE NEXT EPISODE” stuff going on. The limits of this style didn’t hit as hard with that series. So I don’t think I need to see TWD start turning into actual GAMES; I’m perfectly okay with “interactive fiction”. But they do need to shake something up with their narrative mechanics, because the current implementation is predictable and disappointing after the virgin experience.

6. Xmayro says:

It’s cool and all but why dion’t they finish what they started first before announcing something new!? they had barely started The Wolf Ammong us and TWD:S2 and they already had two more projects in development.

Guess I’ll wait for the released date of TWD:S3 and count 8 months beyond that to purchase the game.