Freeware Garden: You Were Made For Loneliness

By Konstantinos Dimopoulos on July 29th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Freeware Garden searches the corners of the internet to highlight one free game every day.

Elizabeth Simins provided You Were Made For Loneliness with a brilliantly evocative opening illustration, that really sets the game’s mood and acts as a first warning of sorts. A warning followed by further trigger warnings for suicide, depression, and psychological abuse.

You Were Made For Loneliness, you see, is definitely not for everyone, but, for those who can brave disturbing scenes in their texty Twine games, it does offer both food for thought and some great, wild prose by Tsukareta*.

You Were Made For Loneliness tells a sad, sweet, philosophical and deeply touching science fiction story mainly revolving around robots, artificial intelligence, love and ethics. It’s a game I was deeply moved by and whose interactivity I appreciated despite the minimal choice on offer. Actually, there really is only one choice you get to make that properly affects the game’s story. A single choice following several strictly linear passages, that, amplified by all the options you didn’t get to choose, feels important and tough to make.

Then again, it’s always up to you to decide whether clicking through all those highlighted words is worth your time. They do initially lead to what can only be described as computer generated junk and it only gets stranger from there, but the narrative that may or may not lay hidden in them is made up of some fine words and by an eclectic selection of writers.

Go on then, give it a read.

*Tsukareta is a team brought together for this project consisting of Rollin Bishop, Lillian Cohen-Moore, Cameron Cook, Bryant Francis, Sidney Fussell, Richard Goodness, Javy Gwaltney, Jon Hamlin, Kitty Horrorshow, Patrick Lindsey, Tony Perriello, Marc Price, Zoya Street, Kaitlin Tremblay, Stephen Wilds and Nina White.

, , , , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. GameCat says:

Wait, this is gonna be the addition to live free play hard or replacement?

• wwwhhattt says:

Didn’t Live Free Play Hard go with Porpentine? So this would be a new thing to make up for it maybe.

lowprices says:

Ah, the flickering, pulsating tendrils of the Hivemind have ensnared another poor soul. Doomed to provide regular PC gaming content in an informative and entertaining fashion for all eternity.

Welcome aboard!

• Konstantinos Dimopoulos says:

Thank you! Resistance was, indeed, pointless.

Melody says:

Welcome, and also thank you very much for recommending this game, I loved it. Way to make a good first impression ^_^

4. persopolis says:

A trigger warning, for a work of fiction, really? That’s like the writer saying: “hey watch out man, don’t read this shit, it might emotionally resonate with you.”

Melody says:

I don’t necessarily agree with them (for this reason, among others: http://chronicle.com/blogs/conversation/2014/05/23/treatment-not-trigger-warnings/) but some people are heavily sensitive to certain themes (esp. rape and suicide/depression) and don’t want to be exposed to them and have to remember or go through certain painful thoughts and emotions. It’s not simply about being “emotionally resonating” or unpleasant the way Clockwork Orange feels unpleasant for most people, it’s more about being potentially damaging for people whose mental fortitude may be weak at any given moment in time.

• Konstantinos Dimopoulos says:

I feel I have to admit that Melody covers me, though I too feel odd about trigger warnings.

They are not as bad as, say, age ratings would look like on books, but they don’t feel quite right either. Then again, warning people that they might be upset is never a bad idea.

• persopolis says:

Is this practice really that widespread? I must admit that I do not read that much anglo newspapers or literature (neither fiction nor academic), but I have barely seen these warnings, only a few times on a couple of blogs.
        Now that I think about it, the rating systems for video games and movies also constitute trigger warnings, no?
        That makes a lot more sense to me, as audiovisual content can be a lot more shocking than just words alone.
        Interesting article on those warnings by the way.

• Distec says:

ESRB and film ratings advise you on the general content of a product. I thought trigger warnings were specifically to forewarn you of material that could retrigger PTSD or mental duress from previous trauma. I have honestly not seen much of the latter outside of some online articles, unless you count episodes of Law & Order that are preceded by vague “Some viewers may find this content disturbing” statements.

I have no doubt they are well-intentioned and have their uses, but on the whole I’m not warm to the concept. Especially on the internet where demanding a trigger warning seems to be another way of saying “I don’t like what I’m reading”.

• GameCat says:

“Trigger warnings are standard, in essays, works of fiction, articles, everything.”

What? I’ve never seen such a thing in novels and books in general and trust me, I’ve read hundreds of them.
        I’ve seen these warnings only in few (really, really few, 10 at max) online articles.

Philopoemen says:

I must admit, RPS is the only site I’ve ever seen them. And as a cop of more than a few years, and a back-to-uni psych student, I’m still unsure of their value (Cop = ambivalent/toughen up princess, psych = they may have merit.) But the warning isn’t hurting anyone.

I think depression/suicide is more serious to warn about in this sense, as sexual assault experiences tend to be incredibly personal, and the trigger will be something specific, where depression/suicide is much more generic; as in susceptible persons will relate, regardless of their own experiences.

• altum videtur says:

One would think that when one finds themselves relating to another they feel less alien. Even if the context is suicide, I am not sure reinforcing life’s basic bonds would make it easier for one to make the move over.
            BUT I am not a psychologer nor well read in such matters.

Melody says:

I should have specified: I find them everywhere online.
          It’s true, I have yet to find them in actual books etc, but on most websites that don’t usually deal with these themes, they have a TW when they do.

Maybe it’s just the kind of websites I visit…?

• soldant says:

The only place I ever see trigger warnings are blogs. I have never seen them in a work of fiction, an essay (no, a blog post is not an essay), or anywhere else for that matter. RPS and Tumblr are the only places I ever see them with any regularity.

Bluerps says:

This game got me on the wrong foot, in a way, due to its length. This was not a fault of the game, but a fault of my expectations (I am used to Twine games being 10-30 minutes long) and my way of engaging it (I wanted to read it in one go).

The story is beautifully written, and the ‘sub-stories’ are great too, but there are just so many of them! I went from thinking “This is great!” to “Ok, I guess I can read another story”, until I finally reached “Oh god, my whole evening is gone, when will this be over?”. The sensible reaction to that feeling would have been to just pause the game and finish it another time, but somehow that didn’t occur to me.

So, tl;dr: It’s a great twine game, but it’s very long for a twine game (3-4 hours, for me).

[Edit]Oh yeah, almost forgot: Welcome Mr. Dimopoulos![/Edit]

• Konstantinos Dimopoulos says:

Thank you Mr. Bluerps!

And may I suggest you copy and paste this link into your browser?

Bluerps says:

That’s one of the longest interactive fiction games that exists, isn’t it? :D

In a way that is actually “better” than a long twine game, for me. Interactive fiction tends to be longer than twine (at least in my experience, though I have to add that I haven’t played that many IF games), so I wouldn’t expect that I could reach the end of an IF game in under an hour.

• Konstantinos Dimopoulos says:

Hehe, yes, yes it is ;)

Also, a game I absolutely adore. Oh, and I do see what you mean.

• Prolar Bear says:

Welcome, Mr. Dimopoulos! Indeed a fine first impression with this game. Though I wholly agree with Bluerps – it’s simply too long, at least for me. I loved it, but it the huge mass of text was getting to me and I ended up skipping or skimming through the later optional pages.

• Konstantinos Dimopoulos says:

Thank you for the kind words and warm welcome :)

I must admit that I do enjoy my texts long, but can definitely see your point. Promise that my next texty pick won’t be this densely written.

• Prolar Bear says:

I have to say it’s more of a subjective thing, though – I’m sure others didn’t mind the wordiness.
          Cheers anyway!

Bluerps says:

I agree, that is completely subjective. Like I said – in my case, the problem was mostly that I expected something shorter.

Serrit says:

Heh yeah I had exactly the same expectation on how long it would take to play. Still, that was definitely an entertaining and thought-provoking 3-and-a-half hours. Thanks for sharing Konstantinos!

6. Gabe McGrath says:

Hello Gnome!

Lovely to see your name on RPS.

7. JimmyG says:

Woohoo, one free game every day! I’m glad to see RPS send a bucket right back into the Porpentinian well. I know there’s an evergrowing sea of stuff like this on the web, but I can’t keep a pulse on all of the different circles and communities and newcomers. Thanks for curating. I look forward to seeing what this trawler reels in.

8. Strangeblades says:

Excellent! I love me some Porp and I missed seeing what interested Porp. I’m glad someone has taken up the mantle. Long live KD!

caff says:

Welcome Konstantinos! Great name.

• Konstantinos Dimopoulos says:

Thanks! It’s pretty common where I come from, mind you.

Cheers!

10. Fenix says:

Very late but I finally managed to finish this game and I have to say it was very enjoyable, only marred by some typoes.

The short story about the creepy internet videos on the internet was very strong. I have found myself at the “edge of the woods” many times but I always get away fast…