Re: Remastered Resident Evil – REmake

By Adam Smith on August 5th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

Has Resident Evil ever truly felt at home on PC? Not-zombie popper Resi 4, the high point of the series, showed up looking a bit peaky but, if memory serves, the ports of earlier games were acceptable. We never did see a port of the cleverly capitalised REmake of the first title though, which debuted on Gamecube back in the day. I played through the whole thing over a couple of days at the end of a university term, when almost everyone else had left the evil halls of residence. Expecting hokey dialogue and the occasional dog-scare, I didn’t expect to be scared into submission before the end of the first night. I didn’t expect Lisa Trevor.

The Resident Evil REmake might not be my favourite game in the series but it is the scariest. And it’s finally coming to PC in a fancy REmastered edition.

A REmastered REmake. Maybe this will become a thing. Maybe it already is a thing, in which case I’m going to start holding out hope for a REmastered REmake of a REboot, or any variation thereof.

The REmake is due in early 2015 and will have graphics better than REality (1080p) and an optional REvamped control system. If that’s not exciting enough, do pay attention to the widescreen option, which will cause formerly static backgrounds to scroll into view.

For anyone who hasn’t played the REmake but does have memories of the dull and dated original, the best news is that it’s a significantly improved game. Not only does it look fantastic in comparison to the chunky early 3d of the Playstation version, it also has improved combat, a much stronger atmosphere and legitimately horrifying moments. Which is handy, in a horror game. It’s no Silent Hill but it’s a claustrophobic and unnerving treat without too much in the way of the series’ TEdious t-virus lore.

Here’s a comparison screen showing a slightly sharper model of a man next to the original (REmade) model of a man.

Via Eurogamer.

, , , .

1. SanguineAngel says:

It is a scientifically proven fact that Resident Evil 2 was the highpoint of the series. I have invoked science, this can not be countered

However, RE1 is a close second and I would mind giving this a go as I never did play the REmake

• DrollRemark says:

I’ve never played it either, but I knew a friend who loved the series back when the GC remake came out, and he raved about it. The fact that the zombies could now chase you through doors completely changes the experience, apparently.

• Memph says:

That, and that killing them at all carelessly can seriously come back to bite you in the arse, legs, arms and face.

Still own and loved the first three on Playstation (of which the biblically correct order of quality actually goes: 2, 3: Nemesis, 1: Director’s Cut), but only played a bit of REmake on Dolphin (still looks good imo) and found it quite bloody terrifying. Not sure how it progresses, but initially you have near bugger all to fight back with, unlike the originals where there’s handgun ammo aplenty, so long as you don’t fluff too many shots.

I shall want this long overdue PC version, although without a £15 or less price tag, it’ll linger on the wishlist until saletime. Hopefully we’ll get Zero and Code Veronica too, as I’ve never played the first and didn’t finish the latter.

• Premium User Badge Muppetizer says:

Crimson Heads were the greatest survival horror idea the Resident Evil devs ever had. 2 is obviously the best game in the series but there are more than a few things that make REmake the close second.

• Synesthesia says:

Oh yes, i was coming here in red hot rage to post the same, but i’m glad i’m not alone. The dual shock version of RE2 is just too good to be true.

2. int says:

*Turns head slowly around to read the article*

3. Philomelle says:

Now if only they remade 2 and 3 sometime. They’re only available on PSN these days and, to put it nicely, haven’t aged particularly well.

Let’s hope this at least opens the room for RE: Zero, given that it was made for the same platform and runs on the same engine as REmake.

4. GameCat says:

o_O

I hope they bring also Resident Evil 0 – it was made for GameCube as well and I think it uses the same engine.

Has Resident Evil ever truly felt at home on PC?
    RE3 have great PC version. It runs without problems even on modern machines, you can set up at least 1024x768px resolution, you can skip all door loading screens and it works well with modern controllers, just click “assign button” and then any controller button you want.

• aerozol says:

This is a remake of Resident Evil 0

ps: ohhhhhh so excited, this and RE4 are just fantastic. Never got the chance to play the PS ones though, would be great to eventually play through all of them on Steam again. Actually RE Revelations was a pretty fun surprise too (avoided 5 & 6 based on reviews and a little bit of play experience…)

• Keiggo says:

This isn’t a remaster of Resi 0, it’s a remaster of the remake of Resident Evil 1. Which was harder to explain than I expected! That makes it look hugely unexciting but it’s actually brilliant.

• GameCat says:

Nope, although RE0 is some sort of remake too, as this game was first planned for Nintendo 64 and ended up on GameCube.

• aerozol says:

My bad, I was totally confused for a second!
        Both came out in 2002 for GC then huh, great year for sure..

• XhomeB says:

Yep, the port of RE3 was actually pretty great. RE1&2 weren’t that bad either, played both on PC&PSX and never felt PC lost something in translation. Sure, the backgrounds were rather pixelated on a monitor (duh), but I got used to that really quickly.

5. Kanneh says:

Itchier AND tastier!

6. Myrdinn says:

Resident Evil the scariest game series? What about Silent Hill, Fatal Frame or heck, Amnesia? Might be that I played RE too late (and never finished a game other than the 4th) but it wasn’t scary.

• Philomelle says:

Adam never called it the scariest game series. He said REmake is the scariest game in the series, which is arguably true.

That said, I had more intense and frightening sessions of Pacman than anything I experienced in Amnesia.

• GameCat says:

Amnesia is somewhat like Pac-Man, but without pellets and with puzzles.

• Philomelle says:

Also without a building sense of tension during monster encounters, given that ghosts in Pacman have AI algorithms designed to keep you on edge that are more advanced than anything Amnesia implements.

I hear the “It’s scary because you can’t fight back in it!” excuse a lot, but that actually ruins the game for me because it makes no narrative sense. Daniel is a 6-feet tall dude who towers over every enemy in the game and can carry around and toss wine barrels with next to no effort. That he can’t just take a swing with a crowbar at something that threatens him is so obviously due to the game engine’s limitations and not actual gameplay mechanics, and it murders my immersion into the game’s world completely.

Silent Hill 3-4 and SIREN 1-2 did it much better when they gave you a ton of murdertools, then designed the rules of engagement so getting into a fight put you into a long-term disadvantage.

• GameCat says:

That goddamn red ghost that can run faster than you…

I also find that barrel-throwing insulting. If I could easily toss huge wooden barrel I would certainly use it against some monsters that are chasing me.

• jorygriffis says:

Amnesia is too uninteresting to be scary! Thank the two of you for commiserating.

And yeah, I think that especially the Siren games do a perfect job of making you not want to fight.

• Emeraude says:

Character phobia transmitted into gameplay. Some people are so frightened of spiders they can’t even think of crushing them, even though the spiders are barely spec of chitinous membrane waiting to be turned to a pulp.

In the case of Amnesia, it’s weird that you can accept the fear of the dark, but not the fear of the beast.

Probably a matter of presentation.

Personally I just loved the first hour or so of Amnesia. There was the promise of reaching, in video game form, that very particular fear of the ineffable, of the suggested but never quite defined, and though it remained unfulfilled, the moment it did touch on it made it worth playing. After that it all became the end of the world as usual, and your player reflexes abusing easily identified systems.
            An experience where “everything thing has to be right on the nose, every message that you get is right there helping you solve the puzzle or push the story forwards” to quote that Brian Fargo interview. Fitting.

7. Premium User Badge Anthile says:

The best Resident Evil game? Dino Crisis.

• JFS says:

Dino Crisis was great. I fondly remember the part where you could upgrade your weapons, and we made 500-shell-magazine auto shotguns. Dinosaurs were much less scary afterwards.

• XhomeB says:

Yep. Fun fact about DC: I didn’t like DC2. At all. Too action-focused for my taste, the original was pretty much RE with dinosaurs and that’s what made it so perfect.

8. Premium User Badge RedViv says:

Capcom, here’s a Photoshop. It might be handy if you, the Master of Slightly Upgrading Things All The Time And Wanting Full Moneys Again, take it with you.

9. rabbit says:

very cool. will almost definitely get.

10. Keyrock says:

I was ready to dismiss this until I read:

and an optional REvamped control system.

As much as I fondly remember the early Resi games, I could never bring myself to play the originals again because I couldn’t deal with the godawful controls. It’s the reason I like Revelations so much, it’s the closest they’ve come to making an old school style Resi game with controls that don’t make you want to throw your monitor out of the window.

11. CookPassBabtridge says:

Capitalisation is one thing, but will it be Rift Enabled?

12. Sunjammer says:

RESRERENT: REEEVIL

13. Rao Dao Zao says:

Re-re-master, when the crowd say bo! developa!

14. Raf says:

Wow, I have such fond memories of the GameCub remake (had just entered mid-school, or whatever you have as an equivalent for what’s between elementary and high school) since it was my first horror game ever.

There were so many nice things about this game, the constant claustrophobic pressure like said in the article, limited saves, etc.

You could unlock an unlimited rocket launcher if you finished the game in the highest difficulty in something like less than an hour and a half.

There was also an invisible mode, were all mobs were, well, invisible. For someone who played it like 4 billion times it was a new and welcome challenge.

Seeing how my grades got while I played this, my employer will be very happy.

God this is an insta-buy on PC for me and would play it all over again.

• Jalan says:

Infinite rockets were no match for Forest Speyer and his bandolier of insta-kill grenades. Not that it would deter me from constantly killing myself just to be rid of him but for a fleeting moment.

15. mrmalodor says:

I was just about to play it in an emulator.
    I think I’m gonna wait now :)

16. Professor Paul1290 says:

I really enjoyed Resident Evil back in the day, especially REmake and 2. I remember REmake was a big part of why I owned a GameCube in the first place and I lost count of how many times I’ve replayed it.

Nowadays I have a hard time seeing Resident Evil, even if it is REmake or 2, in a positive light.

These days, I feel like Resident Evil seems to get away with so much crap that wouldn’t be acceptable today.
    So many things that people claim are enjoyable about it are things that would be considered awful today, like severely constrained inventory, numerous jump scares, awkward controls, limited saves, static camera angles, and so on.

I feel like the these games get a free pass mostly due to nostalgia and groupthink at this point, and that’s done more than enough to corrode my opinion of them.

If old-school Resident Evil were made today without the name recognition or force of marketing, I don’t think it would be held anywhere near as high. I feel it would be enjoyed more through Youtube than as an actual game.

• XhomeB says:

For me, RE as a series ended with RE3. Loved the series until that very point, what followed simply didn’t have the same impact or spirit.
      Code Veronica had its moments (great antagonists), but the move to 3D resulted in some truly bland-looking environments and at that point, the plot began to get… stupider, cheesier than ever, less “rooted in reality”, “grounded”, if that makes sense (I mean, yay, we hijack a jet fighter (?!) to get to an Anartic base, Wesker became Neo from the Matrix and BLOODY STEVE was simply unbearable. I mean, Steve is the no.1 reason I want to HATE Code Veronica).
      As for RE4 – I much preferred the “alpha/beta” version they initially showed (it can be found on youtube, iirc), it looked incredibly impressive, true to the series’ roots and fresh. The rebooted version of the game… just wasn’t RE anymore. Human enemies, QTEs, the lack of puzzles or hub-based levels and the combat system combined with the over-the-shoulder camera, which pushed the game into the “action” territory.
      It WAS a fun game, but it killed the series. Look at RE5 and 6. RE4 was the beginning of the end.
      It’s not nostalgia, they were simply neatly designed in a unique way. The save rooms, the limited inventory (overly limited, I agree) added to the tension.

• Philomelle says:

The “alpha/beta” version you’re talking about is actually the second version of the game. Ironically for your statement, Shinji Mikami vetoed it because it strayed way too far from the series roots. It was way more like Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, with ghosts and other supernatural enemies, and a lot of its design choices would make it far too expensive to complete.

Incidentally, both first and second versions of RE4 survive to an extent. The original version became Devil May Cry, while the “hook man” one had most of its art assets reworked into Demento aka Haunting Ground.

Sadly enough, RE4 destroyed the series by selling too well. It led to Capcom blatantly breaking its exclusivity agreements with Nintendo in order to port it to other consoles, which created a rift between Shinji Mikami (the series’ creator) and a lot of his friends in that company. This in turn led to him accompanying former Clover Studios on their mass exodus into Platinum Games, leaving Capcom without the man who kept the series together and tried to maintain innovation with every title.

On the upside, had they not pissed off Mikami into leaving, we wouldn’t have gotten Vanquish (which led RE4′s action elements to their logical perfection) and he wouldn’t be working on The Evil Within (which seems to be perfecting RE4′s horror elements while also bringing some supernatural into the mix) right now. Resident Evil going to hell is a bitter price to pay for that.

• Emeraude says:

Haunting Ground. Aka Little Red Riding Hood in video game form, filtered through a Japanese lenses.

The game had issues, but I do think it work really well at times, in no small part because of the sexual tension.

17. XhomeB says:

Unlike many people who clearly label RE2 the best in the series, I have a hard time choosing between RE1 and 2. I love how polished the sequel is, but there’s something about the original which I absolutely love, there’s something special about that Alone in the Dark-esque mansion… I know some could say RE1 looks “dated” by today’s standards, especially compared to RE2, but that doesn’t bother me in the slightest, for me, it still looks and plays “good enough”.
    Always wanted to play REmake (remember how impressive it looked on GC back in the day), so happy we’ll finally get a native PC version. It looks like they merely upscaled the backgrounds, but who cares. Yay for this news.

• Shooop says:

The first game was like nothing anyone had ever seen before. The second expanded the scope of the disaster which is why I personally like it more. The first few minutes running through the streets of the city were much more memorable than most anything from the first game to me.

It quickly went off the rails though once in the police station that had doors opened by red gemstones.

18. Moraven says:

Remastered version of the GameCube remake. Possibly interested. Got me more interested into it than the original release on PSOne. It is always hard to try and use the Tank style controls after playing RE4 Wii, but it definitely adds a lot to the game and how it is designed.

• XhomeB says:

I must be the only person in the universe who actually prefers the tank-style control scheme to what RE4 offered (which was pretty much the same thing in a lot of ways, only the camera placement differed).

• Emeraude says:

There’s a bunch of us. Quite a wild bunch I’d say.

The tank control was perfect for what it was trying to do, it made you feel just the right amount of vulnerable.
        And I don’t think it was a chore at all. Hell, I don’t even think the inventory was too limited.

19. UpsilonCrux says:

So does anyone know if this is a HD remaster in the same sense as say, FF8 is, or if they’re actually going back to the original assets, and building it up from there?

Because if they use pre-rendered backgrounds rendered at GC native res, it’s going to look TERRIBLE.

• Jalan says:

I’m hazarding a guess that they’ll be using the remaster (which had little remastering done, true) from the Wii version as a basis to work off of with this one. Not having played that version myself, I can’t comment on how much of an improvement it was (some have said the ability to play the game in widescreen was enough).

20. Premium User Badge DrScuttles says:

Oh, cripes. I was obsessed with this and RE0 back around 2005 to the point of actually bothering to complete the ridiculous invisible enemy mode. Really hoping they release RE0 too. Great fun despite an utter balls plot, even by Resident Evil standards.

• Jalan says:

It wasn’t until RE3 was done that they began to realize a lot of holes were existing within the overall plot. Which prompted a game like RE0.

Personally I just wish they had opted to just let it continue unabated as it was, eventually leading to a showdown between a unicorn-spliced Wesker and a 25ft tall Chris as they leveled a city similar to the fight between Hulk and the Abomination in The Incredible Hulk.

21. Shooop says:

Good news! This game is the closest Resident Evil ever got to being a horror game. And because I loathe the Gamecube’s controller with sun-melting passion, it’ll be nice to try it myself.

• Jalan says:

They released a re-do of it on the Wii but I’m guessing if you hated the Gamecube controller then it stands to reason that you’d really hate the Wii’s as well.

22. Scumbag says:

This could be fantastic ONLY if they include a pack with the original game’s voice acting. My favorite for classic, nonsensical cheese in games. Barry Burton has never been topped IMO for goofball deliveries.

23. racccoon says:

Oh yeah! locked in… :)

24. Arnkell says:

I’ve played all the RE-PC games except this, I’ve waited 20 years. Looking forward to it. I hope there are machineguns.

25. Premium User Badge Xantonze says:

From what I read on NeoGaf, only the 3D (read: characters) was actually remade in HD. The bulk of the game (the 2D-backrounds) is simply upscaled and then “greasy-filtered”. Bleh!

(The way they plan to adapt to 16/9, with a bit of scrolling, is an excellent idea though. I’d like to see that in HD versions of JRPGs…)

26. Lemming says:

First Gamecube game I ever bought, having never played a Resi Evil game before. Really loved the Giant snake and Giant shark sections.

27. HisDivineOrder says:

What I really wish is that Konami would port Metal Gear Solid 1′s remake on Gamecube from the same time as this remake.

What was it called? Twin Snakes? Something Snakes? That’d be awesome. That’s a game I’d love to see on PC with a modern Steam release with achievements and cards and… Steamliness.

Comment on this story