3D Benchmark Tool Comes To PC – Ryse: Son Of Rome

By Graham Smith on August 8th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

As games have begun differentiating themselves more and more through artistic direction rather than pure polygon count, it’s become harder and harder for players to measure performance gains brought by new computer upgrades. Now Crytek are bringing their previously console-only benchmarking tool to PC. Ryse: Son Of Rome renders crowd-filled action scenes and shiny helmets so gamers can tell how many extra frames per second they’re getting than before, and will be released later this year.

From the press release:

“We are bringing the Ryse experience to PC, with 4K resolution support,” says Carl Jones, Director of Business Development at Crytek. “4K gaming is another leap in graphics quality for PC gamers and Ryse is the perfect showcase for what’s now possible in high-end PC games. We’ve given our team the opportunity to show what CRYENGINE can really achieve, without compromising quality, thanks to the incredible hardware available now to PC gamers. Ryse will be a benchmark PC graphics showcase this year and probably for a long time in future. Our community asked for a Ryse PC version, and we have the means and technology to deliver this title with the highest quality possible.”

I’m not being flippant here. This is literally how they’re selling the game.

The PC version comes bundled with the DLC released for the console version of the game, including the Colosseum Pack, the Mars’ Chosen pack, Duel of Fates pack, and the Morituri pack. Each one introduced either new multiplayer modes or new maps for those modes.

The console version of Ryse: Son of Rome was called “blandly playable” by our cousins at Eurogamer. Meanwhile Alec thought that Crytek’s previous benchmarking tool, Crysis 3, looked pretty good.

, , .

1. Rao Dao Zao says:

I figured there would be an uprysing if this didn’t happen sooner or later.

Mungrul says:

Cryengine renders dirty old gurners in more detail than ever before!

RedViv says:

BUT can it render William Hartnell’s turning into a demented handpuppet at the end of the First Doctor’s Roman adventure? This is a true test!

DarkLiberator says:

What’s the point of saying 4K resolution support if most computers can’t even run that? I mean i guess most can run it, it’ll just be at one or two frames a second.

• bstard says:

Hmm lemme guess, hyping to push pre-orders?

• frightlever says:

Or Crytek are fucking idiots who don’t understand that most potential punters are actually put off buying their PC games because of ludicrous system requirements.

Cinek says:

Seriously? We’re back in the era of discussing system requirements? And I hoped that in last 10 years people actually learned that system requirements are meaningless….

• frightlever says:

I don’t think you understand what a discussion is. I’d have to care about your opinion for there to be a discussion. What you’re doing is attempting a clumsy strawman argument by implying I want to have a discussion about system requirements. I do not.

• Baines says:

Crytek probably really is trying to sell Ryse as a benchmarking tool, hoping to grab sales from people who just want to brag about how powerful their PCs are.

If they are trying to sell it as a game worth playing on its own merits, then they are truly idiots. Mind, one could point to Crytek’s recent years and financial troubles and say that this is just the next step of their spiraling madness…

golem09 says:

What else were they going to write about the game? PR department can be glad they had at least that one fact to use.

Cinek says:

Oculus Rift support?
        Or better yet: QTE-less edition!
        Man can hope….

• secuda says:

So because few people have the option of playing in 4K does it mean that they should scrap it in total? how about feuture ready?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s called future proofing and it’s honest marketing. Crytek knows what this “game” actually is and they’re selling it to you exactly that way, it’s then up to you to buy or not ( probably not ).

Eitherway, i don’t see the issue of making the 1% happy NOW, since the rest can easily wait and get the same treatment later ( a lot later ). It sure beats locking games in old tech and leaving them that way for the years to come, especially considering that one of the main draws of PC is constant evolution.

I personally can’t wait to see the LPC getting some serious work out with this thing.

• TechnicalBen says:

Benchmark =/= recommended specs
      That is, at an eye test clinic, they may ask you to read text that gets even harder to read. Your not expected to read it all. It’s a “test” to see what you can read.

Max settings =/= required settings.
      Future proofing things like games is easy as we can assume computers will add memory and processing speed in 6-12 months time. So adding hi res packs at release does not mean it can be played on those settings on release. But does mean the game still looks “good” (that is same as the competition) in a year or so.

4. XhomeB says:

I’m much more excited about Dead Rising 3 as far as Xbox One ports are concerned, to be honest – I hated Ryse’s gameplay from the very first moment Crytek showed it to the world. Instead of a game in the vein of (legendary, awesome and underappreciated) Severance: Blade of Darkness, they made a primitive, QTE-based hack & slash. Sure, the graphics are great, but that’s not enough for me to shell out a certain amount of money for Ryse.

• Freud says:

Dead Rysing. Zombie romans!

• Pheeze says:

Props to the Severance: Blade of Darkness shout-out. That game is/was the shit!

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Is Blade of Darkness with no Severance in front the same game? If so, it’s on sale at GOG this weekend for cheap.

5. LordMidas says:

Don’t sacrifice me, but I enjoyed Ryse. More so because fortunately I didn’t pay for it (loaned it off a mate).

The thing I didn’t like was the QTEs, which occur during every. single. fight. The developers clearly don’t trust us to use the (minimal) amount of allotted moves to gruesomely dispatch our foes.

Other than that it was good.

• jo-shadow says:

“Other than 90% of the gameplay, it wasn’t that bad”

And how about those next-gen voice commands eh? FIRE VOLLEY!

6. Koozer says:

“the Mars’ Chosen pack”

I really hope they aren’t talking about the god here.

7. Seafort says:

What I want to know is who the hell asked for Ryse on PC?? :P

• Freud says:

And when it won’t sell because it’s crap it’s proof that the PC is a poor platform.

8. Scumbag says:

ROMEFACE
    Well, it is. It is the face of a Roman.

9. Bull0 says:

Why exactly are we taking the piss out of them for marketing it this way, when that’s exactly what worked for Crysis?

• Baines says:

To be fair, some people actually liked playing Crysis.

• Bull0 says:

I know, but that doesn’t change the fact that much of Crysis’ success (certainly its’ notoriety) came from people treating it like a graphics benchmark – so, trying to spark off the same sort of thing with Ryse is pretty wise. And here we’re all like “omg, when will people get over graphics, I exclusively play indies”. Not the point.

10. DrollRemark says:

How is this not a staring eyes tag post?

11. int says:

I’ve heard terrible things about the quick time events. If it had Space Marine-style gameplay I’d be very interested.

• Stormworm says:

You can actually fail those combat related QTEs and they complete themselves. You just dont get your score points!

• jonahcutter says:

From the playthrough I watched, the combat was somewhere in that realm though Arkham and Assassin’s Creed looked to be more apt comparisons. Not a bad thing in itself, though it did look to get repetitive after a while. And a there’s a LOT of it. There were a few other little variations here and there to mix things up, but not much.

I actually like this news, though I’ll probably wait for a sale. Simple but solid combat. If you’re in the mood to mindlessly hack off limbs for a while in some not-too-deep, timing-based combat it looks like it won’t disappoint.

12. Keyrock says:

The game nobody wanted on XBone, now not wanted on PC!

13. Turkey says:

I’m guessing this is related to Crytek’s recent financial troubles. They just need a product to push out the door right away. Nobody asked for this.

• HisDivineOrder says:

Well, to be fair, I did. I think any game should come to PC. Even the meh ones.

That said, I think the thing you have to get about this is that this has less to do with just Crytek financial woes and more to do with Microsoft’s reported cancellation of Ryse 2 for Xbox One. When the hammer fell, it meant that Ryse became less franchise and more lemon. So it doesn’t hurt then to bring it to PC after the exclusivity period is up.

Which was probably the same six months to a year that Dead Rising 3 had.

• Turkey says:

Oh wow! Didn’t know they were planning to make Ryse a franchise. That’s crazy.

• neolith says:

“I’m guessing this is related to Crytek’s recent financial troubles.”

Wasn’t this the game that got them into trouble in the first place?

14. HisDivineOrder says:

I think we all knew deep down that every Xbox One game exclusive not developed specifically by Microsoft themselves would eventually come to PC.

PC is where it’s at. Xbox One is where games go to die.

• silentdan says:

Does anyone really know how the XBone is doing? I don’t know anyone who owns one, although my brother-in-law has a 360. I kind of assumed it was taking off among NFL-lovers and XBox zealots, and left them to sort out what they wanted. I’ve tuned out to the point where my bullshit detector is so short on facts and context that it barely works on this subject, so I don’t really trust myself to just spend 15 minutes Googling and get a sound answer. I’m kind of curious, though. XBone: how’s that working out? Anyone know?

15. whoCares says:

Finally everyone can find out whether or not his or her can play compressed bluray cutscenes.

16. BehindYou!!! says:

So when console version failed miserably they turned to PC gaming crowd and are trying to sucker us in by offering 4K resolution support? How gullible do you think we are?