Agrarian Game Again: Farming Simulator 2015 Trailer

By Graham Smith on August 11th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

It’s the time of year for ‘revealing’ seemingly inevitable yearly sequels; first Football Manager 2015 and now the similarly field-based Farming Simulator 2015. Only one game can reasonably lay claim to the feature “BREED YOUR CATTLE”, though. The first, very pretty trailer is below.

The accompanying release brags of all manner of newness: “A new graphics and physics engine, new visual effects, a new interface, new gameplay mechanics and, of course, a new and vast game environment.” There’s also a 16-player multiplayer mode (!) and the game now even includes logging. Of logs!

A permeating bloom effect, fields full of wild flowers, and cute barnyard animals make this seem like a gloriously relaxing time. Friends who have played previous entries in the series: is it? Should I add cultivating crops to my various side jobs, alongside hauling freight in Euro Truck Simulator and OMSI bus driving? My only experience with the series thus far was the 3DS version from a few years ago, and it was so devoid of physics or personality that its featureless landscapes felt like purgatory.

This trailer seems considerably more serene than the E3 teaser, which revealed logging (of logs) machinery so mercilessly efficient at devouring trees that it triggers a panic response whenever I watch it.

, , .

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

2 Farm, 2 Furious

2. RARARA says:

For one terrifying moment, I thought this was the 15th entry in the franchise.

3. moms pubis says:

Please tell me the article title is a Talk Talk joke

4. Freud says:

Who buys these games? Middle aged white men who fantasize about big machinery?

• Geebs says:

No, it’s their wives, out of jealousy over their lack of big machinery.

Oozo says:

A lot of people are buying those. Seriously, like, A LOT. (The 2013 edition was sold in excess of 2 million times, for example.) Which always makes me wonder why the games are in a lot ways rather poor — there is serious money to be made there, it’s astonishing that nobody ever tried to challenge Giants Software in that sector. (Btw, Switzerland’s most succesful game company.)

In an article I once read, it was revealed that it’s very popular among farmers, too. Which does make a lot of sense, because you can drive, say, ultra-combine harvesters that would never be affordable or practical for a lot of European farmers. It’s basically a power fantasy, in that way, and I would argue that this is interesting, rather than, say, pathetic.

Chaz says:

There was an article about these some where and who plays them etc. I think the dev said it was boys from about 8-12 years old and guys in the 35+ range. Apparently there were very few players in the ranges in between.

Ah here it is,on Eurogamer. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-01-eurogamer-investigates-the-mighty-simulator

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Same reasons people buy racing games, because they have fast cars and football games, because they have guys they know with balls and foots.

Stellar Duck says:

I… may need to buy this.

Bought the last iteration on the PS3 to play with my nephew and it’s actually quite compelling.

Cinek says:

o_O it actually doesn’t look like a complete and utter shit.
    I’m impressed.

7. cpy says:

Problem is, Eurotruck Simulator 2 is a very good game unlike other sim games that are just utter shit. There is company that makes Agricultural simulator 13,14,15… that is complete shit bugged game. As far as i know the only sims worth buying are this farming simulator and ETS2, those are legit good games that are way more fun than they look like. But yeah there are 10 shit “sims” for every really good one, so that’s that, be careful what you buy.

Thurgret says:

Doesn’t this apply to most games lately? When I browse new releases on Steam, I see a cesspool.

Cinek says:

Well, that’s the effect of releasing more games in half a year than 5 years during the pre-greenlight period.

8. LionsPhil says:

Wow, that E3 teaser. The machines are here, and they are terraforming the land to suit their dark purposes.

Also if that’s in-engine, the graphics/animation/physics are Quite Nice.

• YogSo says:

After watching it, I’m pretty sure someone inadvertently exchanged the teaser trailers of Farming Simulator 2015 and the sequel to Treevenge.

PoulWrist says:

This requires this to be reposted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

10. Shazbut says:

I feel like I want this. What’s wrong with me? Maybe I’m tired

• Behrditz says:

This company actually makes a good farming sim. This series and Euro Truck 2 are like diamonds in the rough really. Multiplayer is good too. You can use to just chat and kind of absently mill around the farm with friends and get stuff done.

11. Scumbag says:

That song is going to haunt my dreams.

12. Perjoss says:

I really don’t think it matters what kind you play as long as its visually appealing and the gameplay mechanics are well implemented. When I first heard about Euro Truck 2 i shook my head with slight disappointment.

But then a friend of mine started posting lots of screenshots of it up on Steam and I thought the environments looked really cool. Eventually decided to give it a try and I loved it. In the end I dont think it matters if you’re collecting 10 chicken lips, slaying a huge dragon or driving at high speed while evading the cops, if you are in the right mood pretty much any genre of game can be an enjoyable experience.

13. stoner says:

Like ETS2, FS 2013 is a very relaxing game. It’s a nice diversion from the FPS games I play. I’ve spent several hundred hours in FS2013. Giant (the developer) provides support to the modding community that is second to none. In addition to hundreds of new pieces of farming equipment, modders even created a multi-player addition.

A few posts above, somebody asked “who plays these games”? From what I’ve read, FS 2013 was very popular with farmers. A lot of players come to FS 2013 and ETS2 with a derisive attitude.thinking the game will be silly. Then they discover the depth of the simulation, and they get hooked.

If there is a demo version of FS 2015 eventually, then definitely check it out.

Cinek says:

” It’s a nice diversion from the FPS games I play.” – found your problem.

14. japstersam says:

One of my friends gifted FS 2013 to me and convinced me to play it co op with him. Prior to this, a farming sim game had never even registered on my radar as something I would ever play.
    I ended up with over 50 hours of it on Steam. They are fun and rewarding with the same sort of enjoyable reward mechanisms as any other game. Start off on a tiny patch of land with a crappy tractor and so on, and you get better and better to the point where you have huge fields being farmed by co-workers in fancy stuff. You look back at your humble beginnings in the same way a high level MMO player thinks fondly back to their starting area.
    I’m not saying you’d want it to be the only game you ever owned, but it has the same progression and reward enjoyment that any other games has, so I’d perhaps give it a go even if you don’t think it would be your ‘thing’.

15. rickenbacker says:

While this looks a bit like an FS2013 DLC with better particle effect, I’ll still buy it, love it, and play 1000 hours of it. If loving Farming Sim is wrong, I don’t wanna be right!

16. rickenbacker says:

…although “breed your X” in FS2013 was actually a mistranslation, you can’t breed anything in ’13, only keep them. I hope you CAN breed stuff in FS2015, though.