Best In Show: Sleeping Dogs Definitively Remastered

By Alice O'Connor on August 11th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Shiny.

You may not have thought that Sleeping Dogs needed higher graphical fidelity for pushing people’s faces into fans, breaking their legs, cracking their spines, or smashing their faces on toilet bowls. Perhaps you winced enough already. But technology demands progress, it demands blood, and here we are with a shiny “remastered” version of Sleeping Dogs announced for October.

United Front are polishing up their open-world GBH simulator for re-release on new gameboxes, and bringing it to PC too. Along with extra blood and teeth, and the full absurd compliment of 24 DLC packs, Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition is tweaking the game a little too. Thanks again, Johnny Xbox and Ian Station!

Here are some words from senior producer Dan Sochan:

“We’re giving old and new fans a lot reasons to pick up the game, as we’ve gone beyond just increasing resolution and running at 1080p. We listened to the fans: we tuned gameplay, we added to the ambience of Hong Kong, increased audio fidelity and pushed the visuals further than we could on the previous generation of consoles.”

Definite Ed is due to arrive on October 10. Publishers Square Enix haven’t yet said how much it’ll cost. I do hope they’ll slap a discount on it for people who own the original game, as they do with the Director’s Cut of Deux Ex: Human Revolution.

Post-apocalyptic shooters Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light are also getting the “next-gen” makeover treatment with their Reduxes, which are due later this month.

Oh good, yes, that needed more realistic graphics.

, , , .

1. satan says:

Be nice if they’d remaster the driving.

• inf says:

Christ do i agree. This game has the worst driving in any recent open world game, well, this and Watch Dogs.

• TheVGamer says:

A challenger appears in the form of Saints Row 3 – it’s just so bad. This is all like salt in the wound for me because GTA IV nailed it so perfectly. I know a lot of people don’t like driving in that game but to me it’s great. And yet almost every game with driveable things that isn’t a racing game since then has had shitty driving mechanics.

• defunct says:

Wow, I didn’t have a problem with SR3 (or 4), or Sleeping Dogs. Actually, I use to start up Sleeping Dogs just to drive around a while, and nothing else. I’ve noticed others not having problems, either. There was someone on my list with HOURS of time without crashing, for the stat. I’m not that dedicated, but driving wasn’t all that bad, either.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah I agree I had zero problems with the driving, actually thought it was better than GT4 tbh. Although I did play it with an XBox pad, maybe keyboard controls were a bit crappy.

• Jason Moyer says:

GTA 4 nailed the feel, then gave you a default camera that refused to point in the direction the car was going, which made the driving about as unfun as possible.

• fish99 says:

On the mouse at least, unless you manually turned the camera, it would always be behind the car, and about 2 seconds after you moved it, it would ping back right behind the car. Played on a mouse/keyboard the camera was perfection.

Can’t remember having any issues with it when I played the PS3 version on a pad either.

• whydidyoumakemeregister says:

Saints Row 3′s car engine noises sounded like something out of a 90s arcade game rather than a AAA title in the 2010s. Endless gears to cycle through, and it would still make the high RPM sound for a half second after you let off the accelerator. God that was unbearable.

Stellar Duck says:

Saint’s Row 3 was a lot worse!

While Sleepy Dogs wasn’t as fun with the driving as GTA4 it was miles better than the bumper cart ride that was SR3.

• Koinzellgaming says:

Wait you really found the driving in GTA 4 to be good? That slidy controls on the cars were good in your opinion? I’ve seen a lot of people hate the driving of GTA 4..

From the looks of it I’m the only one who actually enjoyed driving cars and I did drive quite well in there (Similar to what GTA 4 driving was for you I guess.). Didn’t have problems doing any of the races or anything. It felt precise and the feeling of speed was pretty darn good.

• Laurentius says:

The main advantage of GTA4 is euphoria engine giving cars a sense of mass, while SR3 is probably the worst model in contemporary games, cars feel completely weigthless, which is also reinforced by shitty accelaration simulation, screens just moves faster, just like playing Lotus.

Stellar Duck says:

Yea, I loved the driving in GTA4. The feeling of weight was superb.

I was a bit sad they’d moved more towards the SR3 side of things in GTA5 for that reason.

Sleeping Dogs found a good place in between the two.

• fish99 says:

I loved the driving in GTA4. As someone who plays racing sims, the GTA4 cars were pretty realistic, with a bit less grip than reality to make them more fun, but the tyres and suspension felt good and you could tell which wheels were driving the cars. I could drive from one side of the map to the other and back, fast, and never hit anything.

Sadly people expect to hit the handbrake (E-brake) and take a 90 degree corner at 100 mph (just like you can in SR3/SD and to a lesser extent in the earlier GTA games) and those people hated it. To play GTA4 well and drive fast you needed a basic understanding of driving mechanics – grip, racing line, cornering speeds, momentum, counter steering etc – and a fair bit of driving skill.

• inf says:

Exactly, GTAIV driving was perfect. Such a shame they went full-on arcade again with V, with an almost non existent damage model to boot.

• Niko says:

I don’t drive a real car or play driving sims, but I liked Sleeping Dogs’ driving. At least with a gamepad, had to switch to KB/M during shootouts.

• Eight Rooks says:

Well, you would say that. You are the devil, after all.

Seriously, though, another person who utterly despised GTA IV’s handling, right here. Every single god damned car felt like a lowrider on cartoon suspension, bouncing and swaying all over the place, and the slightest twitch meant you’d probably wreck the bloody thing. Oh God did I hate the driving in that game with a passion.

Plus I strongly suggest that anyone who seriously thinks the engine noises in a game like Saints Row 3 are “unbearable” probably shouldn’t be playing it. Let the rest of us enjoy our ludicrous comedy power fantasies in peace, thanks. Outside a sim, as long as cars are colourful and shiny and go very fast in that direction and sound like VROOM VROOM I really don’t care how realistic they are.

• The complete works of Herbert Quain says:

I’m with you. This thread feels like a peek into a hideous bizarro world, where watching your character’s precise head bob physics is more important when driving a video game car than actually being able to steer it.

• aepervius says:

None of the 24 DLC are available in germany. Are they good ?

RobF says:

You don’t really need any of the cosmetic stuff or booster pack things really. The couple of mission DLC packs are sort of fine? I played the Vampire ones before the main game and quite happily spent some time punching hopping vampires in the face for a few hours.

Probably not essential but good fun all the same.

RobF says:

I found the driving the best bit. Wonderfully arcadey and you could fling your car up the stairs and off bridges with ease. That’ll do me.

• rpsKman says:

Trying to play video games with a keyboard?

2. shitflap says:

Will they allow you to turn off the fucking DLC?
    That was my biggest obstacle to enjoying this game.
    Also, Wei’s american accent. Somehow I find it really jarring.

• MuscleHorse says:

Right click on Sleeping Dogs, Properties, select the DLC tab and uncheck the DLC you don’t want. Easy.

• shitflap says:

If you’re aware that steam beta even has that function, sure
        Many, like me, suffered

• MuscleHorse says:

I’m not on the beta – it’s been there for a while. Not sure when it was added though.

I appreciate your complaint though. A GOTY edition shouldn’t have packs that give you half of the max XP right off of the bat. A recent replay of Dishonored caught me out early on as I found I had a few thousand gold and power ups in my bedroom before the main mission. And then I played the game.

• Geebs says:

Funnily enough I have the opposite problem. Steam seems to magically remove gold from my room, especially during sales…

• povu says:

The addition of the DLC selection feature was somewhat overlooked since it came in the same patch that introduced in-home streaming.

• defunct says:

There are detailed instructions on how to turn off individual dlcs on the Steam forums. Not sure why people never look there first.

• Jad says:

Also, Wei’s american accent. Somehow I find it really jarring.

Well, Wei moved to the United States when he was young, and the game is his first time back in Hong Kong as he goes undercover to break into the Triads’ world. Wei’s Americanization was a fairly important detail to the plot, with him having to prove himself to get into the gang and all.

Unless you’re saying that just the voice acting itself was jarring? Because I thought the voice work for many of the characters in SD was excellent.

• SuicideKing says:

He lived in the US, though.

• rpsKman says:

If you live in the US, you usually pick up a US accent.

9of9 says:

Ah, at last. A worthy sequel to Watch_Dogs. They even got rid of the underscore!

• pepperfez says:

I thought it was a follow-up to that toddler-horror game, but focused on the family pet.

4. SomeDuder says:

Played through the game plus its 2 story-DLCs (Chinese zombies and terrorists) this spring and definately enjoyed it, especially combat was always fun and didn’t get boring. Quite unique approach to combat, too, with martial arts being more prominent than firearms.

I don’t care for the rest of the DLC, so I hope that’s not what they meant with “tuning the gameplay”

5. Jason Moyer says:

Hopefully the tweaks include some options to make the combat harder, or at least to turn off the “I’m about to hit you” indicators.

DarkLiberator says:

What’s the point of releasing this on PC? Are there new visuals or something or is it just PC GOTY edition full price?

• SanguineAngel says:

I reckon so, in addition to changes to the audio and to the actual gameplay and the inclusion of all the DLC

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I think they mostly do it to stop PC gamers whinging that consoles got something and they didn’t. The game looks great on PC anyway. This is essentially nothing more than a GOTY edition, which doesn’t exist at the moment anyway. Lots of games do this so I don’t think people should get too pissy about it. They always add a bit to the price for a GOTY edition anyway, if they did some tweaking of the graphics too then can’t really complain about that.

7. Lemming says:

Presumably this is different from the free HD texture DLC that the devs put out for the game already?

8. Moni says:

This week I’ve learnt that ‘Redux’ is actually a word. I always just thought it was a silly way of spelling ‘Redeux’, which is a classier way of spelling ‘Redo’.

• RARARA says:

I always thought redux meant the better version of a thing.

• Koozer says:

I always thought redux meant a cut-down version of a thing. I blame reduce.

• PopeRatzo says:

Cut down or augmented, am I gonna have to pay for this game all over again to get the new goodies?

• lordfrikk says:

I’m gonna quote a dictionary if anyone’s interested:

redux (adj.)
      “restored, brought back,” Latin, from reducere (see reduce). In book titles at least since 1662 (Dryden, “Astraea Redux,” written on the restoration of Charles II).

9. phelix says:

I’d like to impose a fine on any dev that says “we’ve listened to the fans”. How many times has that been said and how few times has it been true? It is rapidly becoming a cliché buzzword, methinks.

• Koozer says:

They’ve listened to the fans and promised to stop saying they’ve listened to the fans.

PoulWrist says:

Damnit, and I just playd through it… not that I was interested in the DLC.

Good game, though.

jezcentral says:

I wish they would let us upgrade the original game. I have second copies of Borderlands 2, Arkham City, Deus Ex: HR, Strike Suit Vector (or similar) and others in my Steam library, because they either released a better version, or the GOTY was cheaper than buying the DLC.

First world problem, sure, but it still irks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Metro: Redux is on the horizon.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah I agree with this I think GOTY upgrades should be standard. It’s a big “fuck you” to the people who bought at release who are then expected to fork out the same again to simply get all the DLC. I generally wait for game of the year editions now and this is the reason. I refuse to be gouged as much as possible for a game and I’ll be fucked if I ever buy individual DLC as it’s rarely ever worth the money.
      I would however maybe spend more money overall if companies did GOTY upgrades, buy the game for £30, buy the upgrade for £10/15. Instead of what I do now which is wait for the GOTY and buy it in a sale for £10/15, because if you waited that long to play a game you can wait until the next sale.

• Damien Stark says:

I think this would be better as a general Steam feature add – “the ability to Hide/Archive/Remove games from my list”

rather than a publisher specific consolidation package for special editions…

• dE says:

Right Click on Game in Library. Set Category. Check “Hide this game in my library”.

12. Bull0 says:

It’s nice to see the annoying “PC version is already the definitive version” posts were factually wrong in addition to tiresome.

• SkittleDiddler says:

How were those claims wrong? The HD pack gave the original PC version the obvious edge, therefore it was as close to “definitive” as one can get without adding platform-exclusive content.

• Bull0 says:

Because this version is adding more, hence it’s the definitive version

13. clumsyandshy says:

Holy f**k, 24(!) DLC packs really was not a joke at all!
    Had to go to the official site to verify that absurd number.

• lordfrikk says:

I take it you haven’t see the DLC lists for Borderlands 2, Saint’s Row 4 or (drum roll for the winner) Train Simulator 2014.

• Daemoneyes says:

Most of it is pure fun stuff that you dont need, or probably dont even want if you are not really into that special outfit you get from the dlc. Also the game is imo one of the last were dlc really was dlc and not just cut out game content.

14. revan says:

Already played through it so there is no point in picking this up. I wish devs would concentrate more on making new games and new IP instead of remaking already existing games and churning out sequels.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

You have to consider their business. It does make sense to spruce up and re-release games on the new consoles at this point, it takes them a fraction of the development time and cost, they probably have quite a small team doing this that may not be detracting much from them making their next game anyway, it draws in some quick profit which they can then use to help fund their next game.

Also, in this case United Front ARE making a new game, a sequel to Sleeping Dogs. Companies do have the ability to work on multiple projects at once, I don’t understand why people think these companies have to do one little task after the other and that requires the entire companies attention. There are likely people working for the company who aren’t really needed at this stage of development of the new game, they have free time to work on other things, this can be one of them.

15. Niko says:

So, those next-gen consoles are for playing remastered slightly old games?

16. mcgmania says:

I found it pretty buggy last time I tried to play… so much so that I didn’t stick with it very long. Freezes, crashes, scripted events not proceeding as intended and then leaving me in limbo. Would this improve general stability? Or do fixes already exist that I should look for?

• SuicideKing says:

Definitely not my experience since i started playing in January 2013. Maybe configuration issues on your end?

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah I played it very recently and didn’t see many issues at all. Only once or twice my controller bugged out and required a restart, that was all.

RedViv says:

Definitely among the top 3 GTA-likes of the “last generation”. The other two are of course both from the same crazy franchise.

18. Koinzellgaming says:

I do wonder how the “remastered” version is better then the current one… Because Sleeping dogs on the highest graphics and all of the shiny things put on.. It looks as good as Watch dogs for me (Unmodded ofc. With mods Watch Dogs looks godly.)

• derbefrier says:

I would bet there will be little if any differance in the pc version. I think this is more of a “well we are releasing this new version for consoles might as well throw in pc while we are at it.” For console players its a new version with shiny graphics for pc gamers it a GOTY edition we can buy for 5 bucks during the next steam sale to get all the dlc.

• MkMax says:

i dont expect much in the improvement area but having a single price is a big plus, right now there is no complete edition and they refuse to reduce the price on the dlcs so the full dlc pack costs 3 times what the vanilla game costs

i hope they dont pull a Tomb Raider Remastered and go all “oh yeah remastered makes this a totally new game! 60usd!”, that would be extremely silly, the full game goes for 4 usd these days

• Jason Moyer says:

The entire DLC collection was $7 on Steam during the summer sale. The game + all the DLC was $8.

• MkMax says:

i did not see that deal, the best one ive seen is the humble bundle store one (4 for the game, 9 for the dlc pack iirc)

in any case its still over valuing the DLC relative to the main game, i will not leave the precedent that 1~2 hours of DLC content + a bunch of cloth items are worth the same or more as the main game

Chaz says:

What will us PC owners of the game gain from this upgrade? Will our graphics be even shinier too? Can we upgrade for a small fee if we already own the original?

draglikepull says:

I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs far more than the past couple of GTA games. The new setting and focus on martial arts over gunplay were both refreshing changes.

21. Mittens89 says:

“You look like you could use a HD pork bun!”

22. whydidyoumakemeregister says:

I’ve been playing this for the first time over the past few months. With the HD texture pack it looks and plays great on my 5-year-old gaming rig. Graphics don’t really mean that much to me and the art direction isn’t exactly unique so I don’t see the point. Really fun game so far despite these last few years of open-world third-person games being largely misfires.

23. SuicideKing says:

If it’s a $5 upgrade then sure. Otherwise I’ll probably skip.

I hope they’ve fixed the issue I had with the game incorrectly switching to my joystick for input and getting stuck there if I was playing with the controller and moved my mouse.

(I have to unplug the joystick for the issue to go away).

24. johnnyan says:

There is a first person camera for driving, it can be fun.

25. DrManhatten says:

They should improve the game controls instead this game is unplayable without a gamepad!

• Koinzellgaming says:

<– Played without a gamepad and had no problems what-so-ever.

• Damien Stark says:

Gamepad-focused game best played with gamepad. News at 11.

26. The complete works of Herbert Quain says:

Sleeping Dogs is a weird thing – I’ve never seen anyone say they didn’t like it, but its price plummeted at Duke Nukem Forever levels shortly after its release. I didn’t play it through to the end but found it a very competent and fun game, with only some minor annoyances.

27. buzzmong says:

I rather enjoyed Sleeping Dogs, sure, there were a few minor gripes in some game systems, but on the whole it was pretty good. Had a fairly decently written story as well.

Would I pay for it again with only a few (probably minor) gameplay tweaks+all the DLC? Nah, but I would like to see the non-redux version gets patched as well if there are gameplay changes because I’ll probably replay it at some point.