Bif Pow Oof: Ultra Street Fighter 4 Released

By Alice O'Connor on August 11th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Bif!

In my hazy role as news editor of Rock, Paper, Shotgun, I’d like for us to cover fighting games more. They’re fascinating systems of intricate parts I broadly understand enough to mention but fumble horrible trying to execute. “Attack priority, yeah?” I offer. “Invincibility frames? Leave it out bruv!” See, I skipped fighting games as a littlun, as a crone really have the time to teach myself from scratch, and as a serious business professional don’t want to fake it. Shame.

But here, as a token gesture, is word that Ultra Street Fighter IV has arrived on PC.

This third version of Street Fighter IV brings five ‘new’ fighters, four of whom last appeared in Street Fighter X Tekken. You’ll find stick-swinging soldier man Rolento, capoeira fighter Elena, Final Fight veterans Hugo and Poison, and a character who’s appeared before but is playable for the first time here, M. Bison’s pal Decapre. Also new stage backgrounds, balance tweaks, new ways to punch men, and so on. You know the drill: it’s a Street Fighter update.

Ultra arrives on PC a few months after its console release as Capcom had rushed that to make sure it was playable at this summer’s Evo competition. An upgrade from Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition costs £11.99 or, if you don’t have that, a bundle with the whole thing and oodles of costumes is £22.99. Reports say the netcode is a bit wonky right now, but Capcom are looking into it. And yes, it is free of Games for Windows Live.

Here’s an old trailer showing off new things:

, , .

1. wilynumber13 says:

It’s been slow coming, but fighting game presence on PC is rapidly increasing. Of note here is that Wednesday Night Fights, one of the biggest weekly tournaments, is going to be trying to use the PC version of Ultra for the next few weeks. PC has been the lead platform for Skullgirls ever since it released there. A number of other games came out on Steam within the last year or two. I also heard that PC is the lead platform for the newly-announced Tekken 7.

I really think next year you lot should send someone to Evolution and write about your experience for the site.

2. Commander Gun says:

Dilemma. I had a great time playing this game, but i am so extremely bad in performing combo’s. Also, it probably doesn;t help i cannot adapt to a stick and keep playing the game with a PS3 controller.
    On the other hand, i just love the atmosphere and there are probably always fighters that are even worse than me :)
    Do you guys know if there are any new fighters that use the charge system as opposed to the shoryuken system (fighter like Balrog, DeeJay, M. Bison, etc)? That might give me the final push to just upgrade ;)

• gryffinp says:

Decapre is a charge character.

• Keiggo says:

I’m pretty sure that Decapre is charge but don’t quote me on that!

EDIT: You can now quote me on it.

welverin says:

While a pad is inferior to an arcade stick it is playable that way. I did it plenty in the past when I couldn’t afford a stick.

Oddly, charges are easier with a pad than circular motions.

• Dominare says:

I think its a matter of opinion. Louffy, this year’s EVO winner is a pad player, as is SnakeEyez who also got top 8. Ultimately it comes down to whatever you’re most comfortable using, not what others claim is objectively ‘the best’.

• Ringwraith says:

Very much so, not to mention a stick has its own learning curve anyway.
          As long as you can execute things adequately, it’s doesn’t really matter.
          A lot of being ‘good’ at these types of games comes down to reading your opponent and reacting appropriately more than fancy inputs in a lot of cases.

• Radiant says:

There’s a growing school of thought that a pad is actually better than an arcade stick.
        The speed of finger tip control vs the speed of whole hand movements.
        Also audio cues from a players stick isnt a factor when playing with a pad.

Personally I find combos easier on a pad but I grew up playing stick.

3. Gog Magog says:

All hail the newcomer. DeCrappe will be a most welcome addition to nothing whatsoever.
    At least fucking change Cammy’s animations. Good god Cappucomm. Yeah they aint the same cause Blueberry is really awful on top of being a ridiculous clone.
    And I cannot look at Elena without attempting to put an industrial drill thorugh my eyeballs. I keep one around just for this purpose. Unfortunately I don’t have physical-actual eyes anymore so its a bit of a moot gesture.
    Rolento’s fine. So’s Poison (that’s a dick bro! hahahahahahahahaahahahaaha! haha! ahahaahahah! ha! I just shit my pee! hahahahahaah!) and Hugo (his last name is Andorre FYI).

I just wish Kepuken would keel over and die already. Its fine. We get it. You cannot admit to failure without involving autoerotic decapitation. Its fine. Its fine. We’re cool.
    Close your eyes Caprademon. All of em. Lord knows you have enough. Shh. Only dreams now.

4. Synesthesia says:

Oh my god, that bevelled type. Who the hell approved that? Is this a 90′s ironical gif?

Simplisto says:

Question for those more familiar with fighting games on the PC than myself:

Has anyone managed to devise a system where combos are bound to words which can be touch-typed?

JIMJAMYAHA

It's not me it's you says:

Alice, as a further gesture next time something fighting game related comes up you can plug http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/learn-how-to-play-fighting-games-with-our-free-beginners-guide-ebook/ – from the article I’m almost sure you’ve read it yourself, but if not it’s a really nice breakdown of Why Fighting Games Are Cool, even if you don’t play them.

I have no intention of ever putting any of it into practice but I greatly enjoyed reading it.

• Ringwraith says:

Ditto that sentiment.

It’s a real shame two of the best in-built introductions to the genre are split across two different games really. Skullgirls has tutorials on all the general fighting-game staples that are transferable between most games, but isn’t quite as simple on the attack inputs as Persona 4 Arena is (bonus points for only having four attack buttons compared to six), which also has a character-specific challenge list for an increasing complexity scale of combos which Skullgirls lacks (at least last time I saw).
      P4A also explains all its mechanics pretty well for the most part too with its actual tutorials, just doesn’t go into the general fighting game theory of playing against an opponent. It’s also not on PC, so oh well, nevermind.

PikaBot says:

P4A’s trials/challenges/whatever system is so much better than all others I’ve experienced, purely by dint of the fact that it will actually demo the fucking combos for you so you can see the exact timings to do all of it.

• Ringwraith says:

Man, I forget that’s not standard.
          Why is this not standard?

The last one hides the sequence by default as they’re puzzles where you have to do a certain thing (like do a certain amount of damage, or use every single move at least once) but they don’t tell you the steps and you have to figure it out. Though you can download the demos of how to do it for free off the DLC page if you want to skip that step of theory and jump straight to execution.

7. Dominare says:

One thing they finally did fix is the constant open mic problem that cropped up when GFWL was removed. Now you can force mute yourself and/or everyone else selectively or globally which is great.

• Radiant says:

Btw before you hop on online there is a massive problem with the game ddosing you as it constantly polls for new opponents even though you have already found and fighting one.
      This of course causes massive lag spikes in the game, which is a bit of a shame as the game itself is wonderful.

Comment on this story