Splatummer Holidays: Dead Island 2 Trailer

By Ben Barrett on August 12th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

This guy is a really, really bad painter. That's not even a particularly nice shade of red.

Hoboy are we ever a long, long way from the reverse-time harrowfest that was our first glimpse of Dead Island. Nevermind the tonal shift, this is a franchise now, with sequels and spin-offs. Dead Island 2 got its first showing during E3 with a cinematic trailer that didn’t quite have the same impact as the original. Now Yager (yeah, those guys) have shown off what their California-based undead-destructinator is like to play.

Spoiler warning: graphic mutilation of reanimated corpses.

It was nice of George Romero to invent the modern zombie so that some cosmetics or textures make it A-ok to slaughter groups of humans in the most horrific ways possible. What Bad Company 2 did to buildings, such Dead Island 2 will do to skulls. Bloody murder aside, this doesn’t look like much we haven’t seen before. Back in 2011 the co-operative or survival elements were still under-represented but post-Kickstarter/Early Access that just isn’t unique any more. But I do enjoy a good splattering, and this seems playful with its RPG elements and environment interaction. Colourful too.

Hopefully the new development team can bring a bit more life┬ádeath to it than the first game’s okishness or Riptide’s continued drudgery. There’s guaranteed to be some fun to be gleaned from co-op, but that’s basically true of anything you can play with friends. The dream, of course, is that they’ll evoke some of Spec Ops’ soul and mix it in with the lost promise of THAT trailer for something a little deeper. Sadly, that’s not the way things are looking.

, , , .

1. aliksy says:

The first dead island was really disappointing, mostly because of bad mechanics. Constantly repairing weapons + borderlands/diablo style random items was really frustrating.

Oh, and I hate character levels.

I really just wanted left 4 dead in a new setting and more open world.

• Greggh says:

Horace the zombie-vitriol eating entity has prevailed over the bad commenters. HOORAY!!

• Juan Carlo says:

The worst part was the fact that there was no punishment for dying. You just respawn back at the base and the world remains unchanged. Which really bothered me for some reason. I’d even prefer a traditional checkpoint system to that.

2. ninjapirate says:

Turns out that all of that trailer’s violence actually turned me off.

• Sleepymatt says:

• Archipelagos says:

Agreed. That trailer had literally nothing else to say about the game. ‘WE HAVE GORE’ as a flashing neon sign and that’s it. Dull, dull, dull.

• natendi says:

Exactly! What made Left 4 Dead interesting for me were the other gameplay features like car alarms or loud noises causing swarms of zombies, not the gore and violence. Similarly, Day Z has human interaction as the real interesting feature.

All this has shown are numerous ways of killing zombies, something with Dead Rising has pretty much done anyway.

• Turkey says:

I agree, but on the other hand my 16yo self would have probably loved the crap out of it.

3. GastricPita says:

I did not know that the PC version of dead Rising 3 was to be released in first person mod. The character seems way less clumsy than in the two firsts occurences though.

strangeloup says:

I’d probably be willing to brave another excursion into the mire of zombie games if it was a vicious deconstruction of the genre like Spec Ops was.

Then I remember the thing with the torso, and yeah, it’s probably not going to happen.

5. Jalan says:

I’d settle for a Dead Island game that’s just fun to play at this point. All credit to Techland where its due, but elements of the first game felt more like gaming as a chore.

If Yager’s aim is to take the “series” in a similar direction to that of The House of the Dead: Overkill then it’ll go in the purchase consideration pile.

• dievinity says:

I thought the first one was fun until we got to the point where we could completely decimate anything that gave us a mean look. The difficulty didn’t really ramp up as you leveled up either, and I would go out on a limb and say that’s one of the main reasons why none of the mechanics they had played together very well. Repairing weapons is fine and all when players stop and think, “Do I really want to take on this mob, or do I want to find another way around?”

As for this one, I’m a little hype for it. It seems like none of the BS of the first one and more of the actual zombie slaying that I oh-so enjoyed with my compatriots.

Sorry for the essay, huehuehuehue

6. Gilead says:

I keep forgetting to care about this game and then I’m reminded that Yager are the ‘Spec Ops: The Line’ people.

As such, I am willing to forgive the trailer being kind of dull. It’s not like the marketing for Spec Ops was a particularly good representation of its qualities either.

• N'Al says:

As much as I love Yager for Spec Ops too, I don’t think they are attempting anything even vaguely in the same vein with Dead Island 2, so I’d keep those expectations in check, imo (not to say the game can’t be good, I just don’t think the story will be anything near as in-depth).

Also, let’s not forget these are also the guys who made this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yager I don’t think the story is meant to be any good in that. Heck, the main guy is called Magnus Tide!

As I said, though, no reason Dead Island 2 can’t turn out well anyway.

• Gilead says:

Going by the trailer, I suppose the best case I’m really hoping for is along the lines of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger — really well-executed gameplay with something clever every so often. I might be hoping for too much.

7. Warped655 says:

I actually recently beat the first Dead Island. IDK if I had fun enough to get riptide (which I’ve heard is basically more of the same) but I beat it damn it.

I feel as though I might enjoy Riptide more, because playing the first one without mods and unofficial fixes like I mistakenly did and seeing that all the mods that fix so many problems and are equally compatible with Riptide make me think spending the 5 bucks for another 30 hours Dead Island romp only this time significantly less buggy because of its mod community might be worth it. Ultimately, I’m both unsure about even spending 5 dollars and unsure about spending 30 hours on it. I’m so behind on my backlog, I’m only just now playing Skyrim for the first time for crissakes!

I also skipped the little freebie DLC prequel my copy of Dead Island came with, though since I already own that I feel like I should play through it eventually.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Riptide is playable right out of the box. I was expecting a virtually untouched version of the first Dead Island, but the devs surprisingly made enough technical improvements to Riptide to make it run pretty smoothly. You’ll still want to try out some of the more outrageous mods, however.

Riptide seemed much shorter to me than Dead Island 1, so you may want to take that into account.

• Jalan says:

Riptide was, despite their best efforts to make it not so, essentially full-priced DLC for the first game (a story expansion with a higher price tag).

8. rcguitarist says:

Looks like Dead Rising 3 in first person to me. So it’s very unoriginal. I personally liked Dead Island quite a bit. I like zombie games that take themselves a little more seriously. When the zombie apocalypse happens, I doubt anybody will be having a good time.

Dead Island 2 just made it onto my $5 or less steam sale list with this trailer.

9. RogerioFM says:

Given the trailer mood, it will be the saddest game ever made since the Walking Dead season 1.

10. aepervius says:

Is it me only or it looks exactly like dead island 1 ? For all I could tell you could simply says this was the city second chapter with different skinned people and it would fool me. So far they haven’t announced different mechanics or anything. So it could be a reskin of dead island / riptide for all we know.

• Jalan says:

It doesn’t really evoke memories of Moresby at all. Moresby was a depressing slum while this looks like a violent trek through (Western) sitcom-styled suburbs.

Goodtwist says:

Definitely I’m getting too old for this kind of shit. I’m getting appalled – or rather instantaneously disinterested – by such “gratuitous display of sadism” for its own sake.

Here you go, RPS, a topic to write about.

12. Baboonanza says:

I think this thread needs some positivity so I’m going to say that I enjoyed Dead Island 1 and I’m actually quite looking forward to playing this.

• Asherie says:

I enjoyed dead island 1 (solo, which was a struggle but a fun one) and I found riptide to be a pretty good expansion too. People in the comments don’t seem to like it, but I was very happy to have a borderlands – melee zombie edition. I think the original trailer is what over-hyped it. It showed a heartfelt story, and we got a cliche comedy romp (that again, I loved, but it was NOT what they advertised).

13. devland says:

Just like with the first one people are presuming that the game will be like the trailers.
    Fooled you once, fooled you twice. :D
    Seriously though, wait until it comes out. Then judge it ’till the end of time!

14. DrollRemark says:

28 Days Later is the Spec Ops of zombie stories.

15. Triggerhappy says:

Dead Island 2: set in California. That’s like Euro Truck Simulator 3 being set in America.

For the love of God, if you’re going to have geographical features in your game’s title, make sure they fit its setting.

16. avrus96 says:

I had no idea they were going to make a Dead Island 2 separate from Dying Light. The latter I am far more interested in.

17. socrate says:

…so its in america now….really original

and its basically dead rising in FPS now….

to me this just seem to be gore for 16 year old

what i did like from dead island 1 was the status effect which they pretty much all ended up doing the same stunned syndrome but i would have loved seeing this improved visually and for gameplay purpose now the chill effect look…ok but still look like a stun and the other just look bad….i really don’t like all of this the setting,the dead rising feel,the gore for the gore,the way the game look like it as the same graphic and engine then the old dead island but just in another sunny environment….i don’t know i was curious to see what they would do but this is…meh not interesting at least for me.

With dying light being pretty much the same with yuk parcour its kind of weird to see how things turned out for Dead island

Also i really hope they removed that stupid repair system and loot thing which was horrible…the only game that did loot right to this day is just Diablo 2 and maybe torchlight 2…other then this i don’t consider path of exile grind of 2 week to get an item fun or borderland awful loot system fun

oh and is it just me or is there just PS4 and X-box one there?are they even releasing this to PC at all now?…because i know dead island 1 even today has major problem and bug still not fixed so are they just not confident that they can release a playable game on pc this time?