Remember ‘Em? Time Travel Tricks With Life Is Strange

By Alice O'Connor on August 12th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Ghost car.

Between all the running and jumping and kicking and punching and The Man and some kind of cyber-zombies or something I don’t know, Remember Me had a novel little puzzle game. ‘Memory remixing’ had you jacking into people’s brainboxes to prod and poke and change how they recall events. Sounds like developers Dontnod are focusing on a similar idea with their next game, only with actual time travel and history-changing and fewer guns (relax: not no guns).

Yesterday they announced Life Is Strange, an episodic adventure game about rewriting history.

“Max Caulfield has been absent from Arcadia Bay, Oregon for five years now. Upon returning home she discovers that Rachel Amber, a fellow senior at school, has disappeared under mysterious and rather uncomfortable circumstances. While trying to uncover the truth Max reunites with an old friend, Chloe, and makes a startling discovery: Max has the power to rewind time…”

Anyway, this damn disrespectful teenager will go about messing with time as if she owns it, poking around and making changes which will surely have unintended consequences and who do you think will have to clean it all up afterwards? In Telltale style, decisions will carry over between episodes.

Publisher Square Enix haven’t given a release date for the first episode yet.

Reassuring firearms!

Hey gang, why not write your own hilarious joke about punky teenagers in the Pacific Northwest, disappearances, Gone Home, ghosts, time, and zeitgeists? Answers on a postcard, please.

, , , , .

Diziet Sma says:

I don’t know where I got the idea but I thought Dontnod had collapsed after releasing Remember Me. Anyway this looks interesting and I’m glad they’re still around. I enjoyed the hell out of Remember Me and the art direction was absolutely sublime; I ever bugged relatives to get the art book for me for Christmas last year which they did and it is gorgeous.

• PopeRatzo says:

I’m curious, did you enjoy it on the PC? I thought it was a pretty good idea, but found the port so horrible that it was practically unplayable.

Maybe I should give it another look. I got through the first few missions and up to the first “memory re-mix” and gave up.

• Psykhe says:

I finished it on the PC (using mouse & keyboard). While it wasn’t the best thing since sliced bread it was still a very solid game. I certainly had no issues with controls or graphics. What made it unplayable for you?

• welverin says:

Well, it does happen a lot. If you didn’t assume, maybe you just confused them with someone else.

It's not me it's you says:

“Ghost car.”

Thank you!

3. Prolar Bear says:

“Max Caulfield”

Easy there, dontnod.

4. skyturnedred says:

I quite liked Remember Me, and my main complaint about it was that the memory mini-game was criminally underused.

5. Schmudley says:

Dammit, why are so many games set in the Pacific Northwest? Why can we not enjoy a melancholic time-travelling adventure on the South Downs, or the rolling hills of Shropshire?

davidgilbert says:

Life is strange, but reality is even stranger

7. Jason Moyer says:

After Remember Me, I am highly interested in whatever these guys do next. I know a lot of people found the game to be mediocre, but I thought it was phenomenal aside from some camera issues.

I hate adventure games so maybe I should temper my excitement for this somewhat though. Wish they’d do something that built on both the memory remixing and the customizable combat system, as I felt like Remember Me was just skimming the surface in both areas.

• jonahcutter says:

I’d say it was less mediocre and more that it didn’t realize its potential. It had a good base in the fighting and memory systems. The platforming though, was lame. A prime example of purely linear, ledge-highlighting pointlessness.

8. ThricebornPhoenix says:

I suppose I am relaxed, in the sense that I’d be more excited about this game if it had no guns.

9. ahac says:

I was really looking forward to this but after the news right now that Square Enix made the new Tomb Raider Xbox exclusive, I’m not sure if I want to support them anymore.

10. HisDivineOrder says:

All these “mind games” happen in the Northwest or Northeast, don’t they? They seem to so rarely happen in the Deep South or on the Border.

11. The complete works of Herbert Quain says:

Who the hell names their daugher Max?

12. Sunwalker says:

I enjoyed Remember Me, but I felt that the potential of the memory remixes were vastly underused. Also it felt you accomplished nothing, since you changed the memory of the facts not the facts themselves.

Hopefully Life is Strange should fix these issues. I will be looking forward for this game!

Comment on this story