Bel-oh That’s Lovely! Below’s Gamescom Trailer

By Alice O'Connor on August 13th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

That little speck in the middle is your fella, see.

We’ve been pleasantly puzzled by Below since Capy announced it. The game’s beautiful, but what is it? The Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery and Super Time Force folks have spoken vaguely about it being a roguelike-like with plenty of exploration and permadeath–and a game suited for PC–but watching the Gamescom trailer demonstrates an important detail. You can carry a shield and hit things with a sword until they burst. And oh me oh my it’s still gorgeous, with a tremendous sense of scale as a tiny person wanders a big, nasty world. The trailer’s… below.

I’m only being intentionally obtuse a little. Below’s about exploring beneath a mysterious island, though the creatures trying to murder you will somewhat hinder that exploration. And if they get you, you’re got for good. Some sort of multiplayer element is planned, but that’s a mystery for now too. Sword and Sworcery was great for strange exploration so this is all jolly exciting. S&S composer Jim Guthrie is also providing the music for Below.

Capy haven’t even vaguely said when they might release the game, so keep on dreaming. Look, look at this scale and how wonderfully small and pointless your man feels against this giant world. Isn’t that comforting?

, , .

1. Arnkell says:

It looks stunningly decorated, very tasteful and sweeping. I hope it’s not a case of “same armor/weapons through whole game”, though, I hope you get to trade up your kit, like in the original “Rogue”.

• Niko says:

I’m wondering if it will be “the same weapon/armor but with upgrades” case. Well, hopefully we at least won’t have to choose between Sword of Wee Bit Increased Damage and a Sword of Very Modest Accuracy Increase.

2. Halk says:

Not holding my breath. S&S was good-looking, too, but one of the most pretentious wannabe hipster games EVAR.

• Niko says:

Did you come to that conclusion after you’ve played the game or way before/instead of it? Just curious.

• Halk says:

Forced myself to play it till the end. Again, it is beautiful, and also short, so no big deal.

But the gameplay is tedious (“Find out where you are supposed to click next!”), the controls horrible (especially during the fights), and the desperate attempts at irony INCREDIBLY annoying. Basically, they had no plot, and no reasonable dialogues, and were also too lazy to come up with any. And thought that noone would notice if they just drowned it all in irony. It is quite sad really, and a waste of perfectly good artwork and music.

• Niko says:

I thought it was quite a simple story about heroism and sacrifice and whatnot. Not sure about controls – I have played the mobile version and it utilizes device’s capabilities in interesting ways (position vertically to fight, etc.) Agree on tediousness only partially though – it was kind of a meditative experience like Proteus. Go around, listen to music. Can see how that might not be everyone’s thing, though.

• Geebs says:

I believe that was mostly superbrothers’ fault rather than capy’s, though. The correct thing to learn from the whole affair is, “never buy a game which the authors have referred to as an ‘EP’ unless you have a high tolerance for pretentious wankery”.

• Halk says:

>“never buy a game which the authors have referred to
            >as an ‘EP’ unless you have a high tolerance for pretentious
            >wankery”.

You may have a point there. ;-)

3. Tei says:

Oh, vectorial animations!, pretty! :D

golem09 says:

Looks lovely, but everytime I see the game I’m reminded of Hyper Light Drifter, which I’m more excited about.

Capy should finally make a spiritual successor for Clash of Heroes, now here’s a game that was worth buying on 3 platforms.

• MykulJaxin says:

Yeah, there are a lot of similar shapes in the art style, I couldn’t figure out what this trailer was reminding me of.

5. Gilead says:

I got through most of this article thinking that Capy was some sort of pet name for Capcom, and was therefore really confused for the majority of it.

I couldn’t really get into Sword & Sworcery when I tried it ages ago, but this seems to be a bit more substantial a game, so I’ll probably give it a try. Such a pretty game.

6. Taidan says:

Oh wow, it looks like they’ve taken a whole bunch of faddish game-design buzzwordery, and somehow invented… The Legend of Zelda?

Oh.

• Niko says:

It looks nothing like Legend of Zelda, though.

• Taidan says:

You’re entirely right, of course, the two games could not be more different.

As befitting a modern game, this one definitely has more pixels. More importantly still, the little guy’s hat is brown instead of green.

7. One Pigeon says:

Another soundtrack by Jim Guthrie? Yes please!

8. frightlever says:

So every time you talk about Capy’s Below I momentarily think you mean Capcom’s Deep Down. Sigh.

• MykulJaxin says:

I’m having the same problem. Even though I can see the header image and see it’s not the same as what’s been shown for Deep Down, there’s enough weird stuff happening there that I keep getting confused.

• malkav11 says:

The frustrating confusion for me is that it actually shares the name of a lovely (and not dissimilarly themed) StoryNexus game called Below, which was Kickstarted (unsuccessfully) well before Capy announced their game, and has been in slow production ever since.

9. PancakeWizard says:

I am liking that they’ve focused on on the huge scale of the underground world. For many I imagine it’s too tempting to make things more claustrophobic when delving into the deep.

10. Mittens89 says:

Looks great!

Sounds wonderful!

Gameplay looks utterly generic. Swing! Slash! Chop! Until they are dead. Booooring.

11. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I’ll take this moment to briefly comment on S&S as I recently finished it. Atmospheric, nice art and sounds, lousy controls, pixel hunts and vague clues (although that last one may just be me).

Here’s hoping Below does better.

• myelbow says:

It is most certainly not just you on those last points. I, like you, loved the visuals, sound, and atmosphere but the game was obtuse as hell as far as story progression is concerned.

At least Below looks a bit more like a traditional “game”. S&S seemed to be a story with some forced gamey bits throughout. I’m no idiot but geez, I don’t think I would have ever finished it without consulting a walk through at regular intervals. Maybe I’m just getting old. /shrug

12. Synesthesia says:

that looks so beautiful. Can i throw money at it already?