Dragon Fights And Spoilers – Dragon Age: Inquisition

By Ben Barrett on August 14th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

The Dragon Age hype train rolls ever onward. As we near the delayed release of Inquisition on November 21st, the latest trailer had its debut at the EA press event at Gamescom. It’s titled “The Enemy of Thedas,” who one would presume is giving the threatening baddie monologue throughout, and shows off all the usual fantasy violence we’ve come to expect. It also seems to let out some rather significant story beats. Spoilery analysis of those below.

You really don’t want to scroll much further than this if you’re planning to go in relatively dark on details – which is almost always better – or aren’t familiar with the Dragon Age plot. For me, damn curiosity (and, uh, this job) means I’m already bathed in spoiler juice, so here we go:

At around 1:36 these two fine folks show up.

Looking sharp, Hawke.

Say, that’s Hawke on the right! The second game’s main character is returning, Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw has confirmed. Folks will be able to customise Hawke’s appearance and gender, he added. We don’t know what role she’ll be playing in the game though, so this could be a sidequest, the intro, or your best buddy and pal.

A bit giddy, some had assumed that the chap on the left there is yer Grey Warden protagonist from the first game, but no, it isn’t.

Meanwhile, the EA conference showed off more in-game action. You can see it all here from 1:50ish.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. NicholasTimothyJones says:

The person with Hawke could be Alistair. It kind of makes sense as he has been confirmed to appear in the game at some point and has a large role in the Dragon Age comics.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this game. I just need to push myself to finish DAII. Pre-ordered it yet never finished it.

2. SanguineAngel says:

I see it as not so much a Hype train – implying some sort of large, powerful, perhaps even unstoppable mechanical force; hurtling along at great speed, making a huge commotion, disturbing the local livestock and billowing its noxious fumes across the land. Having a significant impact on the world around it is what I’m saying.

To me, it is very much like the the lunatic with the sandwich board at Oxford Circus talking slightly loudly but nowhere near loud enough to be heard over the din, even if he was saying anything anyone there was interested in. Which he is not. And only those people directly next to him can even see him because the crowd is so dense. I mean, he’s put a lot of effort into his presentation and, bless him, he just keeps plugging away. But no one’s really listening

• SanguineAngel says:

Hah, sorry. Slightly embarrassed; I got carried away having fun there. I was just thinking, whilst there’s been Dragon Age ads and vids up the wazoo, I don’t really see much in the way of groundswell like the last two.

• toxic avenger says:

Yeah, well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

I’m very, very excited for it. Then again, I think the people who joined in on the DA2 bukkake party blew everything out of proportion; DA2 was clearly not *that* bad.

• SanguineAngel says:

Yeah, I am actually also pretty excited about the game itself. :)

3. SomeDuder says:

Yes, but will there be boobies?

4. Laurentius says:

Did I hear it right ? “the elder one”, wow that’s creative…

• Orija says:

Thedas comes from THE Dragon Age Setting. Yea.

• Laurentius says:

Yeah, I can sense that they probably decided to go with Lovercraftian simplicity on this: “great old one” ~ “the elder one” but come on…

5. Gothnak says:

Dragon Age 1 was fun although i still haven’t finished it. I saw my gf playing DA2 on the xbox and it looked awful, so i didn’t even try it, is that going to harm my enjoyment of 3 which seems much more about tactical gubbins?

Lacero says:

I would say skipping DA2 can only enhance your enjoyment of the DA franchise. But as 3 isn’t out yet who can really know?

• Solidstate89 says:

The only good thing I got out of DA2 was a bunch of party members from DA:1 (assuming they’re all still alive) who show up for the very last boss fight. I mean, it’s like the very last thing you do in the game. So only the last couple of minutes was worth anything.

6. Orija says:

These trailers are getting more and more embarrassing.

7. Squirrelfanatic says:

Oh em gee, it’s a walking (talking?) lightning celery! Best NPC design ever.

So, when will this hit the cinemas?

8. InternetBatman says:

Ugh. I wish they would bury Hawke deep, deep down in the archives and never talk about him again. But I guess I’m not really the target audience anymore.

9. montorsi says:

I’m so ready to go tromping about with my old pal Varric.

10. Tei says:

All I see here is pretty cool.

All I want is to go randomly around in my horse, with my companions running behind me (because I only have money for one race horse and one fullplate armour). To find some ruins, and kill inside that ruins a god.

11. Blackcompany says:

Am I the only one who just cannot get interested in these trailers? I want to see game play videos. Unscripted, unguided game play. I want to know what it looks like to play the game, not WATCH the game.

I know its been said (just a time or two) but AAA Publishers really need to understand that they are making games and not movies.

Big Murray says:

RPS has posted about the gameplay vids before, and they’ve put out as many of them as they have cinematic trailers:

12. DThor says:

There’s another article on shotgun today about how video games are closer to the music industry rather than film, and I think some good points are made, but DA: Origins really worked like a good David Lean film for me – of course the overarching story was epic and world-changing but the memories that stuck are about Leliana, Morrigan, the ever – wonderful Shale. Lean was the master of painting a huge pallette but populating it with unique characters you *cared* about, Origins did the same. The followup simply didn’t have the same writing and performances, but I hope they learned from that. LOTR style sequences with epic dragons, cursed mountaintops and tireless heroes gets old really fast. I will always remember the Origins party passing through a village with chickens running around, you hear a squawk, and they look back to Shale hiccuping a mouthful of feathers and shrugging.

Big Murray says:

Interesting “Religious Nuts vs Out of Control Wizards” premise? Check.
    Return of tactical combat view? Check.
    Free roaming around gorgeous environments with potential for large numbers of epic sidequests and world building? Check.

I’m interested.

• Juan Carlo says:

Agreed. The internet loves to shit on Bioware, which is partly deserved for how they dropped the ball on DA2, but this actually looks pretty good. I love the witcher series, but the combat in DA:I looks like it might be better than Witcher 3.

RedViv says:

LOTUS POD MONSTERS?

Aaaaaaah *flees near vomiting*

15. Quiffle says:

Making the tactical camera some new and huge feature is a bit of a joke, considering it’s just used for pinpointing generic aoe spells and “attack therm archers” movements. I’m pretty sure I didn’t see an attack of opportunity once in the video, and everyone could just slide around like Gumby for all anyone cared.

16. Polifemo says:

For years there has beenn something thats been bothering me about Dragon Age character models but havent been able to pinpoint it out.
    I just realized its that every one of them are stick thin and share the same body proportions (the humans and elves and human-like I mean).
    They are like wodden manequins. Its not only that but its generic stick thin too, the kind you use for nameless crowd-filling NPCs you cant even talk to. Good god man give the characters some sliouette options beyond their ridiculous armor! Why does Morrigan look exaclty the same as that old healer woman I cant remember the name off from the head down? Why does Alistar look exactly the same as Zevran sans skin tone from the head down?
    Small, Medium, Large. Thin, Average, Thick. MIX. MATCH. UGH.

Phew. Glad I got that off my chest.

17. FilipMagnus says:

I, for one, am very excited about Inquisition. Can’t wait to find out what good ol’ Warden’s been up to, as well as Hawke, naturally. Heh, I was one of the viewers fooled to think that the one next to Hawke was indeed the Warden, but…no such luck.
    So far, DAI looks like it’s going to make up for the atrocities commited by DA2. I could do with some faith restored to Bioware, and, I suspect, many others feel the same.
    More than 150 hours of content for completionists, and, I imagine, quite a few interesting choices demanding replay after replay…
    At any rate, November can’t come soon enough!