PC Powerslam: Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship

By Alice O'Connor on August 19th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Punch!

When punchy platformer Guacamelee! arrived on PC, it came as a shiny Gold Edition packing DLC from the original console release. But then developers DrinkBox fancied it up again with fancy new things for those fancier new consoles as the Super Turbo Championship Edition, meaning we were stuck with just a plain old really fun game. Ugh! Who wants that! But good news, parity-seekers. This Thursday, the Super and Turboness are coming to PC via Steam. It’ll be a standalone release rather than an upgrade, though DrinkBox will cut $10 off for folks who own the Gold Edition.

The Super Turbo Championship Edition brings new areas, new abilities, new enemies, and a new boss battle against a three-headed skeleton named The Trio of Death. Super duper. DrinkBox also plan a string of updates adding mysterious new things.

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition will cost $14.99, or $4.99 for folks who already own the Gold Edition on Steam. Oh sure, it’d be lovely if DrinkBox kept working on it for ever and ever for free, perhaps powered by pixie dust and cursed gold doubloons, but this seems fair enough. People paid exactly what they wanted for Guacamelee!, whether new or in a Humble Bundle, and now a few pennies make it even fancier. Hoorays all round.

, , , .

Lars Westergren says:

This was a really good game. Lovely art style and music, and just the right length and platforming difficulty for me. There is a Grim Fandango poster on a wall when you are in the Land of the Dead, so +100 geek cred right there.

SPOLER:
    Except having to replay it and master a dozen challenge levels to perfection to get the secret ending. Not with my backlog. I’ll just look it up on YouTube thanks.

• Sian says:

Grrr, that level with the vanishing platforms. Curse you, DrinkBox! A plague upon all your houses!

But dang, was the game fun! Will buy this immediately!

Lars Westergren says:

I forgot about that, yeah that was rage inducing. Especially the room where you had to traverse a long lavapit by clinging to walls and flip worlds as you timed the jumps. So pleased when I finally solved that puzzle.

• Urthman says:

In principle, I hate those kinds of challenges in games. In practice, I had a lot of fun with that one.

Anything can be good if it’s done well. Guacamelee does it well.

2. Keyrock says:

Pretty good deal, can’t complain about the price. It’s a really great good game too, if you’re into metroidvanias. I hope they make a bunch more money off this so they can make more fun games in the future.

amateurviking says:

Such a good game: beautiful, funny, well put together, and didn’t outstay it’s welcome. Absolutely sings on the Vita too. $5 for an expansion seems pretty reasonable to me!

4. LennyLeonardo says:

One of the last of the platformers with two overlapping worlds. Damn you, John Walker.

Wowbagger says:

I was disappointed that it wasn’t about anthropomorphic guacamole fighting back at human oppression.

6. Deathmaster says:

A wild Guacamelee Steam key appears: M4ALC-T4K3N-T00B4D

7. hwiechers says:

Will there be a way to carry our progress across from the Gold Edition or will we have to start over?
    I really want to play the new levels but I’m going to pass if it means starting from the beginning.

welverin says:

I’ve seen a response to that elsewhere and they’ve said that the way the new content is integrated into the game prevents saves from carrying over.

8. Tom Walker says:

I really must go back and complete Guacamelee. It’s great fun in a “now I look at my Steam library I’ll probably play Planetside 2 instead” kind of way.

9. DelrueOfDetroit says:

So does this add content played after the main story or during?

10. MeestaNob says:

I don’t expect this for free, but I don’t like this trend of patch/compilations being released as standalone executables.

I’d happily pay for this, however I don’t want to have to earn my achievements again or have my play time reset.

Great game though.