2K Games Cheap, Borderlands 2 Free This Weekend

By John Walker on August 21st, 2014 at 10:00 am.

There’s no such thing as a free Borderlands 2 weekend on Steam, my grandmother used to say. Well, granny, look who’s the “stupid-faced, manchild, crushing disappointment to the Walker family” NOW. Gearbox’s cel-shaded gabbling co-op ARPGFPSOMGWTF is currently experiencing rather big discounts, and is available to fart around in (after a fashion) from now and all weekend without your wallet shedding a single tear. And indeed save a bunch on all manner of 2K games from now until Monday, including XCOM Enemy Unknown for £3.75 and Enemy Within for £6.60. Or all three BioShocks for £6.80.

If you’ve been meaning to pick up 2012’s Borderlands 2, now’s the time to do it. You can get the vanilla game for a fiver, or the GOTY edition, with nine DLC packs for £8.75. Both of those are 75% off. Or you can just play it over the weekend for free, and then run off, laughing, waving your money at 2K and shouting, “I’M GOING TO SPEND IT ALL ON SWEEEEEEEETS!”

Other bargains to be found this weekend are Sid Meier’s Civ V Complete, with sixteen extra bits and bobs, for £11.55, and The Bureau for £3.

The “weekend” has apparently already started, which makes my being at work a bit of a disappointment. It does mean, however, that you can get these discounts now, and start playing Borderlands 2 free, now.

Except, something odd is going on at Steam HQ. Rather than promoting this weekend in any noticeable way, it’s entirely inaccessible other than from the news post about it. So, if you want to get it working, you’ll have to go to this post, and click on “click here to install”. It will direct you straight to the installer. Odd.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. nopol10 says:

Borderlands 2 appears as an item in the games library though, so you could use that to install it directly as well.

2. eggy toast says:

>>Rather than promoting this weekend in any noticeable way, it’s entirely inaccessible other than from the news post about it.

I found out about it because Enhanced Steam said I owned BL2 and I knew I never bought it so I checked my library and sure enough it said Borderlands 2 – 3 Days Left

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Yeah, don’t worry, I hear they got some ad space on RPS to promote it.

• John Walker says:

I normally delete shitty comments like these, but I’m sure it would only convince the author his insane conspiracy is right. Yeah, we weren’t paid to write this post. I posted it because I figured readers would be interested in getting to play the game without having to pay for it. But, you know – it must be more exciting to live in a world where it’s all dark shenanigans.

• mechabuddha says:

That sounds suspiciously like what someone engaging in dark shenanigans would say!

3. Tei says:

Maybe is time to revisit it. The numbers of Borderlands 2 players in steam has ben consistent high for a long time, I have no idea what people has ben doing this time. Killing superbadasses? Duels? Some mystery DLC that only people super in Borderlands 2 know about? Getting in super-fishy Key codes and ARGs that ask you to be a blood donor and break street lights to get more codes? Some in-game minigame of chess? WHATS GOIN ON!

• Blackcompany says:

My girl and I put in about 80 hours, finished new game and NG+…and burned out on it. Then Gearbox had this “loot hunt” thing. For 30 days, they placed guaranteed legendary drops with certain bosses and mini-bosses. That got us back into the game, and we played the heck out of it for about 3 more months before taking another break. We were staying away from shooters in the hopes Firefall would turn out to be a fun, online shooter with loot.

When Firefall hit 1.0 and revealed itself as a disappointing, MMO-first, leveled-zone type of game we turned once more to Borderlands 2. We’ve been playing it pretty steady on weekends for a while, and thoroughly enjoying it. At this point we really dont need the loot, which frees us up to just run through maps we like, or pursue quests that even after 150 hours apiece we still hadn’t seen yet. And there were quite a few.

We are planning on finishing out NG pretty soon, and maybe one more run at NG+ before the presequel hits in October. Its good fun, and one long term side effect of the loot hunt is a slight increase in the odds of rare drops across the board now. I generally find 3-4 Blue quality rares in every 2 hour session, and at least one purple over the course of an 8 hour weekend run.

• SuicideKing says:

I’ve found a fishy legendary shogun and a cool legendary grenade in NG+, so far.

Though “Where Angels Fear To Tread” is really difficult without a partner, even with a Lv. 47 commando.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Care to explain that increased drop chance over time thing? Is it tied to badass rank, hours played and that sort of stuff?

I played a couple hundreds “legit” hours, then started having fun with a nifty savegame editor to have some extra fun with manually spawned and tweaked equipment ( which BTW gave me a lot of insight into how little variation there REALLY is, especially compared to the crazier BL1 ).

I’m a little tired of getting prestige levels on digistruct peak, even though that’s a genuine challenge few games can match, i really feel like starting a fresh character but i’m a little put down by the difficulty of finding valuable stuff, especially now that i’ve really seen everything.

• grundus says:

They’re either super OCD legendary loot farmers or super OCD completionists doing one of the game’s many ‘wow there’s no way I’m going to get that far’ long-term targets. For me it’s trying to reach level 72 with all of the characters, but after that it’ll be completing every quest with every character, doing Digistruct Peak eight times with at least one character, resetting the Badass challenges at least once with every character (even though the first time I did this it was Snoozeville, population: hopefully just the one) and then maybe collecting at least one of every legendary, seraph and pearlescent weapon at level 80. But it’s taken me nearly 700 hours to get to level 72 once, 62, 61 and 60 with the other three, so I really doubt I’ll even achieve the first of these goals.

• Tei says:

Thanks Blackcompany and grundus for your reply. Very interesting :D

4. schlusenbach says:

While speaking of cheap deals: the new humble jumbo bundle with crusader kings II, van helsing, terraria and more looks good.

5. Armante says:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is going at a good price. May be the lowest I’ve seen. Interestingly, The Bureau: xcom declassified is also cheap, and when bought together as a bundle, ARE THE SAME PRICE as XCOM alone.
    Meaning I just picked up The Bureau for free. Nice.

• Utsunomiya says:

Please, finish it for my sake.
      The Bureau broke me.

• Armante says:

With my current game catalogue backlog, I estimate I will play these games somewhere around 2018 at the earliest. If ever.

I swear I have a digital hoarding problem..

• Supernaiivi says:

I know how you feel. I’ve made some calculations and, according to them, I might be able to beat my backlog by 2019.

These calculations, however, don’t take into account the fact that I keep buying new games all the time.

Well, I guess there are worse things you could be addicted to. Like crystal meth.

basilisk says:

The Bureau is actually worth finishing, because it gets genuinely interesting at the end, and the combat system finally clicks together once everyone in your squad is levelled up so you can have some fun with their abilities. It’s still a deeply mediocre experience, but there are faint traces of the game it could have been.

• Blackcompany says:

This reminds me…I have a Long War playthrough ongoing that needs my attention. I generally enjoy the mod, and really should give it more of my time.

As for Bureau…was it that bad? Cant help but wonder. Though it did manage to drawer bad reviews across the board.

Philopoemen says:

It’s biggest issue was that it wasn’t XCOM.

It wasn’t a bad game, and it actually had some tactics, but it was a a third person cover shooter, and not a strategy game.

If it had never had the XCOM appellation attached to it, and they’d amended the design of the bad guys away from the XCOM designs, it would have received a much fairer assessment.

If you can pick it up cheap, its a decent diversion while it lasts.

• Armante says:

If by cheap you mean free, then I just did as I mentioned above.

Seemed rude not to, really.

• Xocrates says:

While I agree that the problem is that it wasn’t XCOM, I disagree with the assessment that it would be reviewed more “fairly” without the appellation.

The problem is that its attempts at being XCOM left the mechanics and plot muddled up, as the game is simultaneously trying to be its own thing, a XCOM spin-off, a XCOM prequel, and a XCOM reboot – while failing at all of them.

I certainly wouldn’t call it bad, it has plenty of interesting mechanics and moments, but it is a very uneven and frequently frustrating experience.

6. GenBanks says:

Did your granny really call you a manchild and a disappointment?

7. SuicideKing says:

GO GET BL2 GoTY! Well worth the price, though I know quite a few folks will bounce of the game…while others will love the writing and the general “hey, just go shoot things!” attitude of the game.

Though I still wonder, *SPOILERS*

Angel warns against letting Lilith into her chamber, why is it safe for Maya to go?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well, i guess it’s a combination of things.

Angel repeatedly claims that she considers you “the one” and thus more dependable, while Lilith is well known as rather angsty ( and power addicted ), emotive and a potential liability.

There’s also the fact that the lore supposedly suggests that Lilith has more power, so i’d say that all things combined make her a valuable target.

There’s also the cynical view of the whole narrative being nonsensical and stupid, but we’ll leave that to the haters only.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah I thought Lilith was told not to come because she was a Siren (like Angel) and thus Jack would use her after Angel was “released”.

8. Perkelnik says:

I have questions regarding DLCs for XCOM – Enemy Unknown and Borderlands 2.
    Are they worth the extra cash? Or will I be fine with “only” base games?
    Thanks for your input.

• Xocrates says:

Yes to both points actually. You’d be fine with “only” the base games, but the DLC’s are worth the cash.

On XCOM: I never did get Slingshot, so can’t comment on that, but enemy within is a full on expansion which adds and rebalances loads of stuff – however it adds them on top of the existing campaign, so while it might not be a terrible idea to make a “vanilla” playthrough first to get the hang of it, it would mean replaying the whole game when trying the expansion.

On Borderlands 2: the game is fairly large, and some of the main DLCs lasted me for close to 8 hours, plus about an hour or two for each headhunter pack. So it’s not so much a matter of whether the DLCs are worth it (they are), so much as a matter of whether you can stick with the game long enough to play them. Steam tells me I have 102 hours logged and only ever played through the DLCs once, and what would amount to about 2 runs of the main campaign (one full run, two halfway runs).

• stiffkittin says:

XCOM’s expansion is excellent and totally worth buying. However it drastically changes an already fantastic game. The upshot is you’re equally well off just getting the base game and then grabbing Enemy Within during another sale if you’re still keen (skip the slingshot dlc though, it’s a blink and you’ll miss it mission that adds nothing significant). While you wait for that innevitable sale you can also overhaul your game with the free Long War mod

I can’t speak to the BL2 DLC but if the first game is anything to go by they’re excellent value. They’ve all garnered high scores and very positive reviews and all seem to just add beaucoup more Borderlands zaniness to the world, places to go, baddie variants to butcher. At the small markup I’d totally grab them in the first instance.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

BL2’s DLC are a little of a mixed bag, but something that ranges to genuinely great ( Tiny Tina D&D ) to sort of mediocre ( Hammerlock thing ). The headhunter packages are a little worthless but fun, and the digistruct thing something worth it for the end game, let alone the added difficulty mode.

Then again, my considerations have to be measured from the standpoint of someone who just bought the game at full price + season pass. The whole thing for me still ended as satisfactory, even for that price.

With such low prices however? A real no brainer.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah, pretty much. I picked up the GoTY edition back in December for $15, just got 5 of the other DLC packs for $4.77 or so (had 0.77 from selling them cards).

I’ve sunk about 139 hours into the game so far so it was great value.

But all said and done I think the GoTY ed is pretty good value.

9. mvar says:

talking about offers, steam has metro last light full pack for 5e and the offer ends today. I picked it up yesterday, probably the best native-linux game i’ve played so far

10. widardd says:

2K and GOTY, just doesn’t stop being funny. Still waiting for the 2K Games-exclusive “Complete Edition”, like they did with CIV 5.

11. Adynod says:

Doh! I held off buying Enemy Within for £19.99 as I was waiting for a sale after missing the Xmas one. I ended up caving in a couple of days before this one due to an interest in the Long War mod. That said, it’s worth every penny!

12. PDP-8e says:

Enjoying my afternoon of Civ. Picked up complete this morning, now waiting to get enough tech for WORLD DOMINATION. Although I’m not sure I have the heart, maybe Bismarck should go for a science win….