Free Sneaking: Dishonored’s Steam Weekend Trial

By Alice O'Connor on August 22nd, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Stab that man and you risk contaminating the fine spread.

You could finish Dishonored for free this weekend. It’s free to play on Steam until 9 o’clock on Sunday evening, which certainly gives enough time to zip through and stab everyone in the neck. You would, of course, be a monster–not just for the reckless murder, but for missing some of the finest first-person sneaking of recent years. No, unless you have nowt going on, the trial will give sneaky players just enough time to crave closure. Handily, the game’s on sale cheap too, as are its ace DLC chapters.

Killfreaks can alternatively play Titanfall and Borderlands 2 free this weekend, mind.

Click this link here to start Dishonored installing through Steam. If you take a shine to the game after your time playing, it’s on sale all weekend. The base game is £2.49, but I really do recommend the Game of the Year Edition which also includes the extra two-part single-player story along with a challenge mode and some virtual trinkets.

Titanfall, meanwhile, is back on Origin’s ‘Game Time’ promo, which’ll give you 48 hours to play from the first time you launch it. Hit Origin to get that. I notice Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare is there too, with a 72-hour trial if you fancy your violence slapstick.

Lastly, like wot John said yesterday, Borderlands 2 is free to play on Steam until 9pm on Sunday if you click this here link.

Good, great, lovely. That’s a fine selection of fancy games for you to try this weekend. But really, do play Dishonored if you haven’t. It is by far the best of all these.

, , .

1. Freud says:

Dishonored is the best game of the past couple of years next to the Dark Souls games.

Even playing as Daud, I was mostly non lethal (except against witches because they must die). I’m a useless assassin. Good thing I killed myself as Corvo.

Martel says:

I also loved my time with Dishonored and found it to be a lot more fun when I went all sneaky/nonlethal. I suppose that also makes me a useless assassin. That should be an achievement name

• LionsPhil says:

Well, Corvo’s a bodyguard, at least.

Also, yes, this is the closest we’ve come to Deus Ex since, well, Deus Ex. Play and enjoy.

• YogSo says:

Also, yes, this is the closest we’ve come to Deus Ex since, well, Vampire: The Masquerade · Bloodlines.

FTFY ;-)

• baozi says:

I liked Dishonored for its atmosphere and because it was fun, but if you want to compare it to a Deus Ex game, wouldn’t the successors be a better comparison? I feel like the original was a lot more complex.

keithzg says:

I dunno, in world construction and feel, somehow Dishonored struck closer to Deus Ex than the sequels did for me. It was a better spiritual successor in those ways, although I guess more accurately it was the offspring of Deus Ex and Thief, really, whereas the Deus Ex sequels felt like they married into the family.

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

I liked this, but the replayability just wasn’t there. After doing a stealth run, full-on combat seems really boring especially as it doesn’t seem well suited to the game’s systems. I loved my first play through, but then I was completely and totally done. Was £15 well spent (waited for a sale) though.

• subedii says:

Personally I would have to disagree. The game actually reminds me of Crysis in a sense, in that how good the moment-to-moment gameplay can be depends on how creative you want to get with the tools it gives you. It’s possible to play it like a generic FPS, and if you do that’s exactly what you’ll get. But if you opt for the more outlandish, it can rapidly set itself apart from other titles.

Corvo’s a supernatural assassin, and he has the tools that allow you to see why he’s feared as if he’s some kind of wraith.

Kelron says:

This is a good demonstration of why I had so much fun with Dishonoured. It almost reminds me of Hotline Miami at times, tearing through a room before anyone can react.

Setting yourself challenges when replaying is a lot of fun – simple speedruns are a good one, trying to finish a level as quick as possible by any means necessary. I also played through without using blink recently, which forced me to be more creative with the other powers and tools.

• subedii says:

I might try that some time. I used to like going through Crysis on stealthy “no-cloak” runs, a “no-blink” Dishonored run actually sounds right up my alley.

• jonahcutter says:

I have to disagree as well.

The fps melee and gadgets combat systems are very well done, allowing many different approaches and creativity in your killing. I found them to be a lot of fun and highly satisfying.

The problem for me lay in the narrative, which actively discourages a lot of combat if you want low chaos. On a second play through I rp’d a Corvo unhinged by the murder of the Empress and willing to kill anyone in his quest for vengeance. It was a lot of fun, but for those not inclined to indulge in their darker side, the well-built combat systems are largely closed off.

Kelron says:

I found you can play fast and lethal style and still end up with low chaos. As long as you don’t go out of your way to kill people and avoid large groups, a few bodies don’t cause too much chaos. That said, the high chaos final level was a lot more exciting than the low chaos version.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I appreciate where you’re all coming from, but I just found the all out combat very flat, and nowhere near as exciting or satisfying as the stealth gameplay. Taking crysis as a comparison, I found both playstyles really rewarding and fun, Crysis always had a way of making you feel like a genius. Dishonored made me feel that way when I stealthed, but not for frontal assault.

That said one of my defences of Crysis has always been that you made your own fun by being creative, and with Dishonored I did not put the time investment in to discover that. I miss Crysis / Warhead type games. Lovely, lovely games that hold a special place in my gaming history heart.

• subedii says:

I miss Crysis. I played every sequel with hope but they just kept deviating more and more from the formula they originally set up. Still one of my all-time favourite games. Played through both it and Warhead more times than I can remember.

The sequels? Once. Each.

• mvar says:

I agree on the replayability, it was a fantastic game for one playthrough and, if you decided to challenge yourself by going full-stealth and not kill anyone, perhaps for a second, but that was it. Plus i think puttying Daud as the main character in two DLCs was a poor choice

3. BLACKOUT-MK2 says:

I’d recommend anyone who hasn’t given it a shot does. I never finished it due to a save bug which automatically made people suspicious of me upon loading, but it’s a fun game.

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

My favorite thing about Dishonored is its allowance of playing a variety of play styles. Yes, stealth is a better way to play the game, but getting spotted and being able to take-on everyone and survive makes it feel like I was highly adaptable to any situation — an incredible feeling that didn’t make me feel like I had to re-load my save because I messed up.

5. Flea says:

Anyone who hasn’t picked it up already should do it now, cause it won’t cost you anything even if you don’t like it. If you do like it, which is very likely considering how much fun I’ve had with this game, it will cost you just a few euros. Highly recommended, one of the very few games I can honestly say I’ve had fun with from start to finish (and I’m still going, just picked up the Brigmore Witches DLC yesterday, the only one I didn’t have).

6. LionsPhil says:

Argh. I’ve had friends nagging me to surrender to EA’s dark ways and join in on that for months as it is.

7. goon buggy says:

Pre ordered the base game, played for 4 hours and haven’t been back.
    This game is in the same bracket as Bioshock Infinite. Applauded for being hot, but average.
    Both look pretty, both are one trick pony’s.
    They way they wont drop the dlc cheaper for those that supported them at launch, annoys the shunt out of me. Not that i’ll bother to play it.

• Xocrates says:

There are a lot of valid criticisms that can be pointed at Dishonored, but given the game’s allowance of various play styles I find it hard to see how “One trick pony” applies.

So, and I ask this out of genuine curiosity, care to elaborate?

• pandiculator says:

The only ‘one trick pony’ I could arguably concede is the one trick pony of being an excellent stealth-action game. Sorry the game’s not for you, mate, but I don’t think you could quantify it as only having one admirable trait.

8. fish99 says:

The story and characters were pretty average, and TBH I think the game may have been better with a strong lead character (like Garrett from Thief) rather than the blank canvas that is Corvo, but what the game does well is a fantastically realized and interesting world that is a joy to explore. It also looks stunning and plays well.

The only other criticism is that the stealth is pretty simplistic (unlike Thief) and there aren’t a lot of toys to play with if you’re playing non-lethal (much like Thief).

I’d definitely recommend a playthrough though, it’s a world you want to experience.

(note:I’m referring to the original Thief games)

• LionsPhil says:

The Knife of Dunwall DLC adds a few more nonlethal toys, FWIW. (As far as I know, only for Daud’s tale. I don’t think it imports anything into Corvo’s.)

• fish99 says:

Already played it (but not WoB). TBH I can’t remember what extra weapons/abilities Daud had vs Corvo in the regular game. I found it a bit weird playing Daud and still playing non-lethal.

• LionsPhil says:

One of the big ones was basically flashbangs. There were also stun landmines.

And yes, a little odd, but the Outsider does comment on Daud’s change of heart if he suddenly stops assassinating.

Vandelay says:

Once again, the DLC is a lot more expensive then buying the actual game. The base game = £2.49. The Game of the Year Edition, with all DLC = £6.79. The four pieces of DLC by themselves = £11.31! Do they really consider those DLCs are worth 5x the cost of the actual game? Only 2 of them are actually story driven content too.

Publishers, stop doing this!

strangeloup says:

It’s worth noting that generally speaking on Steam, you can buy a GotY type edition if you already have the base game, and it’ll effectively give you all the DLC (or everything you don’t already have, if you bought some) for a reduced price. A lot of folks did this with Skyrim: Legendary Edition over the Xmas Sale, and although it seems a bit backwards, it works.

Rizlar says:

It seems like a legitimate way to price things to be honest. You can buy the game for a pretty low price and see what you think of it. If you really like it you can spend more of a full game price by getting all the DLC as well.

It is a bit backwards that buying the goaty is cheaper than just buying the DLC alone and you can question how much they charge for them individually, but charging less for the base game this long after release makes a lot of sense. And in a sale like this it’s all so bloody cheap anyway, for a game this magnificent £6.79 feels like robbery!

Comment on this story