The RPS Bargain Bucket: Black Saturday

By Cassandra Khaw on August 23rd, 2014 at 12:30 pm.

Here, in Malaysia, Hungry Ghost Festival is slowly creeping towards the end and soon, it will once again be safe to gallivant through dark alleys. Or something. (You shouldn’t visit dark alleys anywhere, folks. It is a Bad Idea.) This week has been a turbulent mess, for more than one reason, and I apologize for the lack of caffeine-driven cheer. It rather doesn’t help that today has been declared a national occasion for mourning. But where there is life, there is hope! At least, that’s the idea. Enjoy this week’s bucket of bargains, and Mike Luard’s Sonic the Hedgehog Plushie.

Titanfall
Ostensibly 50% off, but read below for nuances
Parkour-loving future marines and giant robots go together like peanut jelly and butter, right? Assuming you’re willing to brave Origin, it looks like the company has a discount on Titanfall, that first-person shooter that people wouldn’t stop talking about for a few months and I won’t play because a 52G download will mangle my poor hard drive. Interestingly, prices appear to vary depending on your location. More importantly, if you’re willing to bend a few rules and cajole Hola into co-operating with you, you may be able to pick up Titanfall for even less than the listed price. Beware the effect it may have on your immortal soul (and your Origin account.)

Dishonored
$4.99/£2.49/€3.74
If you have a spare weekend, chances are you won’t even need to purchase Dishonored. Set within Dunwall, where whale bones and black magic abound, this first-person action game varies between being very clever and a plain delight. Featuring what is arguably my favorite “stealth” sequence yet, Dishonored comes with a garden of killing techniques and plenty of ways to circumnavigate murder. I loved it furiously, even though Corvo isn’t the best protagonist in the Assassin’s Guild, so to speak.

Gumshoe Music Bundle
Pay $14.75/£8.90/€11.14 for everything
Here, let’s put away the machinery and subtle killers for a moment. Bundle of Holding is selling “atmospheric soundtracks for investigative roleplaying” for rather cheap. Although unusual, the whole idea does certainly make sense. If digital games can be paired with music, why not tabletop campaigns? But, my mind remains blown. According to the official website, the bundle features at least six dozen short tracks intended to evoke “cinematic moods” appropriate for any situation, including those with angry tentacled beings of all stripes. Somewhere in that atmospheric mix, there also lurks the narrative talents of Wil Wheaton. Why? Because, I suppose. Because. Enjoy? Maybe? I think so. If you do buy the bundle, make sure to catalogue your experiences with it in the comments, okay?

Theme Hospital
$2.39/£1.44/€1.80
I have vague but happy memories of Theme Hospital, which was an astonishingly cheery experience in spite of the fact it had a confused thirteen-year-old helming a medical institute. There is a monstrous quantity of silliness to be found here. Fix absurd ailments! Deal with outrageous patients! Clean up vomit and then make money by ruthlessly ensuring that all drinks are far too overpriced! Who can afford to question the legality of your decisions when their very lives are dependent on your whims? Something something or the other. Either way, Theme Hospital is a fantastic little diversion. I will lob a plushie at anyone who claims otherwise.

Also of note:

Frictional Games Bundle – $9.26/£5.59/€7.00
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - *deep breath* – AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. (Great price for a pair of chilling games.)

The Walking Dead Pack – $8.10/£4.89/€6.12
There are games that require introduction, and there are games that make me raise my eyebrows very slightly and go, “What? Really? You haven’t heard of this? Can you tell me that with a straight face?” The Walking Dead pack comes with Season 1 and the 400 Days DLC.

Get Games’ Indie Carnival
Doubt, thy name is, er, I. Get Games is currently orchestrating an Indie Carnival, one that may be of interest to certain people. A wealth of cool games are currently on sales. The list includes Doorways, Surgeon Simulator 2013, the Cognition games, and The Cave. What’s interesting is that it looks like the discounts increase depending on the number of games you purchase. I’m a bit leery about telling you to go out and spend with wild abandon, but there may well be something for you here. Keep an eye out.

The Dirty Dozen Discount
Look! There! In the bushes! Blackwell Epiphany at 40%! And Infested Planet at 50%! Sir, You are Being Hunted by a discount too! I have a suspicion that these aren’t the best prices any of these games have been at. However, there’s a reason you should consider purchasing stuff from the Dirty Dozen promotional event. According to the website, “All 100% of your cash goes to the people who made the games. This site takes ZERO cut, so more than ever of your money goes towards making great new indie games.” If you have some spare cash and an interest in these games, take a moment to support the devs!

, .

1. GameCat says:

The Dishonored link brings me here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/18/apparently-we-wont-hear-about-fallout-4-for-a-while/205100/

WTF

EDIT:
    $4.99/£2.49/€3.74
    Wait, since when $1 != 1€ on Steam? O_O

• Flea says:

I think it’s always been like that. Because, to hell with currency exchange and different values. Also, to hell with Europeans, they can just charge us 30% more and get away with it. Origin does the same thing, I think only GOG offers that fair price thing…

Edit: I’m sorry, I just noticed the exclamation mark there. I need sleep. Ignore me.

• GameCat says:

Actually Origin seems to have reasonable prices policy. At least I can pay in PLN (local currency) as opposed to EUR and I think it’s slightly cheaper option than buying in any other store.

• Flea says:

I guess it depends where you’re from. Even though my country is in EU, my local currency is not supported and I have to pay in euros, so 30% above the price in dollars.

• Fanbuoy says:

Last time I checked, for Sweden, they had prices in SEK, but the conversion rates were even more skewed. Their policy of $1 = €1 = 10 SEK => 45 % price increase, since in reality, 10 SEK = €1.09 = $1.45.

drewski says:

Looks like an artefact of the “lulz Europe” pricing policy than anything particularly against SEK though, it’s only 9% off against the Euro.

Currency trading is fun!

• Ansob says:

Literally since they added the euro as a currency.

• Iceman346 says:

It completely depends on the publisher, they are free to set their prices in a way that currency exchange rates are observed. Many publishers just choose to do the $ = € thing.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

I … what. This is really weird. I’m looking at the link in the backend and it seems to be operating fine. @___@ Will fiddle.

• Jac says:

I think prices in $’s are always quoted without VAT/TVA so skews comparison a little bit?

• pepperfez says:

Once I realized this, the whole US vs. Europe regional pricing thing became mystifying to me. The games are the same price, there’s just an additional tax on Europeans to pay for actually functional governments. If the nominal game prices are the same, Europeans are getting a better deal because they get their game and their government, while Americans only get the game.

2. Flea says:

I’m not sure why this didn’t make it into the article considering the fact that Dishonored did, but Steam is having a huge sale of 2K titles. Their entire catalog as a matter of fact. You can get a bunch of great games (Borderlands franchise, XCOM, Bioshock franchise, Civilization franchise etc.), some of them must-have, for really small amounts of currency.

3. ElElegante says:

Re: The GUMSHOE music bundle: I’ve been using the Eternal Lies Suite as background music for the RPG campaign of the same name for a while now, and it is excellent. Well worth it if you’re playing any type of spooky pen and paper RPG, and probably still worth it if you just enjoy a bit of atmospheric music. The other tracks in the bundle are by the same composer, so I assume they’re of comparable quality.

4. CookPassBabtridge says:

I’m out in the hills. Only ‘G’ connection on phone. Sonic is loading pixel by pixel. Please be cute…

Ok loaded. Ehhhh for some reason it reminds me of a cross Phil Collins. And thats…. good.

aego says:

To me it looks more like a Felix the Cat plushie than Sonic.

• BooleanBob says:

Phil is likely just cross because he remembered that Peter was the talented one. Again.

5. Deathmaster says:

Groupees Be Mine 14 is well worth checking out: https://groupees.com/bm14
    As well as the new Humble Bundle(s), although at least one of those has been mentioned on the front page already.

• kalirion says:

I agree, the groupees BM 14 is great:

Betrayer
      Mysterious Cities of Gold
      Meltdown
      Little Big Adventure 2
      Bloodrayne 2 (GOG)
      Eschalon Book 3
      Consortium
      Whispering Willows

Here’s another good one: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/titanium-bundle/

Murder Miners 4-pack
      Space Farmers 2-pack
      Guacamelee! Gold Edition
      Puddle
      Wooden Sen’Sey
      Super Lemonade Factory
      Terrorhedron
      Kill Fun Yeah
      Project Root
      Space Chameleon – RGB Agent

And here’s one that’s probably under everybody’s radar: http://dailyindiegame.com/content_bundle.html
      Only $1.49, and if you beat the average ($1.58) you get 2 keys for every game!

Bionic Dues
      A Valley Without Wind 1 & 2
      Memories of a Vagabond
      Lightfish
      Crystals of Time
      Hacker Evolution – Duality

6. Bobtree says:

The Titanfall install is 50+ GB, but the download is only 20-ish. It’s also free to play for this weekend. Great game.

• subedii says:

Minor correction: The game is free to download this weekend, but the 48 hour timer on it only starts from the first moment you load it up.

So basically you can download it now (however long that takes you, even to the end of the weekend), and then leave it until you’ve got some time to give it a good try and see how it is.

NOTE: The sale is only for this weekend, so you’re still probably recommended to try it now if you want to decide on whether to buy it or not. If you just want to give it a go regardless it doesn’t matter, but if you want to buy it at a discount, that sale still expires at the end of this weekend.

• drinniol says:

And finally a decent price in Aus – discounted from $80 to $24!

tigerfort says:

I’m going to assert that Theme Hospital is rubbish, in hopes of getting a free plushy. (Haven’t played it for years, but absolutely loved it back in the day.)

Also, GOG are selling a huge number of other EA classics – Ultimas, Wing Commanders, Dungeon Keepers, Syndicates, Crusaders, and so on, for similarly tiny amounts of money.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Most of the games on that “EA Classics” list just make me weep for days gone by. :c

8. Drake Sigar says:

They won’t. Stop. Vomiting.

• LionsPhil says:

A phrase that also applies to playing Rollercoaster Tycoon.

• dE says:

Also Fable 3. I spent the last hours of the game with every single NPC non stop barfing everywhere. Some Dev thought it’d be funny.

9. earlgrey says:

The Get Games Indie Carnival link needs an EVIL CLOWN warning.

10. poorgamer says:

I picked up Zeno Clash. Also, other people have picked up (and failed to mention doing so) Mark of the Ninja, Humble Indie Bundle 2, and HOARD.

And since we’re offering free keys, if anyone somehow doesn’t own the Magicka base game yet, here’s the key for that: PBGMI-5MBR4-A3QIP

EDIT: I forgot to say thank you. Sorry. Thank you!

• grom.5 says:

Thank you for Magika ! Never managed to get a bundle with this one.

I will say what I think about this silly magician.

11. mega karaczan says:

BASTION taken, thank you very much, kind sir/madam.

Craig Pearson says:

What the fuck? How can you think saying this is okay?

• Jac says:

Trying to work out what this is in response to. I shall assume it’s aimed at Tigerfort and wholeheartedly agree. Theme hospital is a masterpiece. Not cool dude.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Someone essentially declared they “felt” for me as they’d off themselves if they had to spend any amount of time in Malaysia. Ironically, I’m Malaysian! >__________>#

• Jac says:

Ah oh dear. Well I’d gladly swap you for Croydon :)

• Paul B says:

I’m half-Malaysian and I love visiting the motherland to see my cousins, the tiny outside food stores, roti canai and dhal, the huge air conditioned shopping malls, and Durians (maybe not the bit about Durians).

Malaysia – it’s a great country, and I’d rather be over there in the sticky, humid heat than here in cold England.

tigerfort says:

I’m going to question whether you read the bit of my comment in brackets. (You know, the bit where I admit it was just a toy to get Cassandra to throw a plushie at me:)

ETA: This was a response to Jac, in case that wasn’t obvious. Curiously, the broken comment system has inserted it above several earlier comments, suggesting that it might be keeping the threaded order, but losing the indenting.

• Jac says:

Don’t worry tigerfort I wasn’t being serious. I figured it was likely aimed at something deleted… but I have known men kill for even joking about Theme Hospital. I really need some new friends.

• Greggh says:

I think the comment system might be f*cked up…

• Jalan says:

Greggh – every time someone decides to get overly offensive, someone comes around to play hack ‘em up with the offending comment thread and what gets left in the aftermath is a bunch of disjointed and confusing gobbledygook often referring to the post that put everyone into an uproar.

drewski says:

Usually the replies get pruned too, though.

Anyway, as you (we) were.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Jalan is correct, but I think the RPS comments system being fucked up is a correct statement in any context.

thedosbox says:

Going to mention that the prologue to VA-11 HALL-A is available at a “pay what you want” price: http://waifubartending.com/

I blame Cass for introducing me to a hilarious game/visual-novel about racist corgi’s.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Glad you liked it! <3 Racist corgis and drunk vets and all!

• Kaeoschassis says:

I’ve only played the prototype – I very, very rarely pay for ‘early access’ stuff by any name – but I have to say I’ve been following VA-11 HALL-A really closely since I discovered it. I’m fascinated by the way it builds its world, and that art style is just utterly gorgeous.

14. Viceroy Choy says:

So if anyone is buying the “GUMSHOE Music Bundle”, I’d recommend checking out rpg.drivethrustuff.com because they’re having a sale on all Lovecraftian-themed games (at least in the U.S.) for Call of Cthulhu, Trail of Cthulhu, etc. including core books, source books and adventure modules. Which I happen to have just bought a bunch of :D

15. Greggh says:

HAHAHAHA Titanfall is 70% off in Brazil **with regional pricing** – meaning I’ll pay LESS THAN A DECENT MEAL for it.

Folks in britain would spend somewhere around 7 pounds if they bought it in Brazilian Reais (which is R$30, ATM)

• Koozer says:

Tip to non-Brazilians: Use the Hola addon and purchase through your browser for tasty discounts on Origin!

16. subedii says:

Outside of sales time, do people still play Titanfall on PC? Anyone know?

I’ve heard Hard Point has long wait times.

17. Ejia says:

Theme Hospital! Vomit chains and exploding tongue slicers well into the wee hours of the morning. Bullfrog, you knew us well.

Kruton says:

I wonder how many South East/East Asia dwelling RPS readers there are. Checking in from Taiwan, here!

19. Shadowcat says: