Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell – Down In The Valley Next Jan

By John Walker on August 30th, 2014 at 5:24 pm.

Volition have announced a new entry in the Saints Row franchise, the curiously in-joke entitled, expandalone, Gat Out Of Hell.

After the most ugly of starts, Saints Row has gone on to be one of the series most worthy of excitement in recent years. Saints Row: The Third saw the franchise free itself of its genuinely unpleasant origins, and realise itself as a joy-filled, if somewhat problematic, alternative to GTA, rather than a clumsy clone. Last year’s Saints Row IV somehow survived both the collapse of THQ, and the conversion from add-on pack to complete sequel, to become one of the funniest, funnest games ever. So it’s with justified happy expectation that we receive the news that there’s to be a standalone expansion to part VI, Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell.

Quite how this fits into the fourth game doesn’t appear immediately clear to me right away. Those who saw the ending will know this really ought to be taking place on another planet, rather than, well, Hell. It’s also not clear whether this is inside or outside of the alien computer program in which most of IV was set. Although when it features an flying armchair crossed with mounted machine guns, it’s hard to get too picky. If this continues on to the same standard as IV, then we’re in for a good time, no matter how little sense it makes.

, , , , , .

RedViv says:

Hell, yeah. Hell yeah.

FriendlyFire says:

The comments on that video are amusing. Lots of people are ["upset" - Ed] over the fact that SR3 and up have taken themselves less and less seriously.

I’m really looking forward to this. We can definitely use the occasional irreverent, gratuitous game.

• Baines says:

SR3 was mindless fun, but it really did cut content and features compared to SR1 and SR2. That was a bigger complaint that “becoming silly”.

By SR3, you had lost most building interiors. I believe SR2 had already lost the gameplay effects of drinking and drugs (which had both positives and negatives), and SR3 removed their consumption entirely. SR3 removed interaction with objects, as well as removed the responsive population. SR3 cut a lot of non-essential features, like reasons to explore and non-story things to do.

Then you add to that the story issues, with contradictory characterization and logic holes. Also a bit more scripting and restricted one-off events and areas.

You end up with a sandbox game that offers nothing to do beyond completing the story except some very basic mindless mayhem. There is no life to it

And all the time, Volition was hyping the wackiness. Look, a vehicle that vacuums up people and shoots them! Look, a rocket launcher that shoots mind controlling octopi! Look at how insanely over the top the story is! Look, a separate zombie “whorde” mode! Please don’t look at how pointless half the stuff is (boats, most aircraft, many weapons), please don’t pay attention to the seams too much, please don’t pay attention to everything we left out that was in previous games… We didn’t have time to put all that stuff in, but we do have a year of wacky DLC! Pay money for a purple jet! (Sorry we didn’t have time to extend free in-game vehicle customization to aircraft. And ignore the modders that enabled it.)

• Guy Montag says:

Pretty sure they don’t want us to, and haven’t themselves been ignoring modders, as they actively communicate with them on saintsrowmods.com, hired one or two of them, and have been working with them to make a full SDK for SR3 and 4.

• Baines says:

Volition embraced the modding community afterwards. It probably didn’t hurt that the more active modders avoided things that infringed on DLC.

• Boozie says:

Okay, lets be clear about this. This guy is either being purposely falsehood spreading BS or is part of
          the marketing yaya wing of Volition. I suppose a third possibility, he is so far out of the loop he is vastly ignorant.

Yes, they did ‘announce’ and I was there, I was one of the fools that fell for the announcement and despite
          my negative feelings of what they were going to do with SR4 (this was pre-release days) I was out
          saying PC players should support them cause of the great ‘support’ they were going to provide the SR modding community. ( I was one of the active members of Saints Row Mods forum, still a member but gave up when
          I realized what a lie had been foisted and that the primary owner of the forum had been bought out by Volition)

That all turned out to be utter BS. It has been 2 years. NOTHING is done of great note as of this date.

For those of you that want to educate on how a marketing team can lie.

Iloved SR3 first, discovered SR2 later and saw what the sr2 ‘fanboys’ were complaining about.
          SR4 just destroyed what they did right in SR3 despite it dropping the good that was in SR2.

Only a total tool would pre-order anything from Volition again, and I”m not one of those tools. Learned my lesson, the dev and marketing team is full of lying expletives.

They not only think the buyers are idiots, they know they are.
          That is how they think, and they probably are right. Despite nose being rubbed in the truth at the forum link I provide above, I’m sure the true believers will ignore and ravage this posting.

Was SR4 fun? Yah, but I gave up on it half way thru. The joy of SR3 was destroyed by the game turn and from what I see of announcement of SR5 they will go even further down the wrong path.

SR3 was saved by the mod community and so was SR4, WITHOUT REAL HELP FROM VOLITION OF ANY SORT. PERIOD.

• Guy Montag says:

Yep, you just linked to the thread. Where Volition actively talks to the modders. And is shown to be helping them with the work that is being done by the modders on the SDK

Not whatever all that stuff is you’re talking about.

I certainly didn’t try to paint Volition in some beatific light, I merely stated facts. It’s not them making the tools, it’s the modders, and for that those modders are amaztastic. If it’s been slow going, it’s because the mod community is pretty darn small, and Volition themselves are doing the things that help them stay solvent. Like, you know, makin’ more games. And stuff.

Good jorb calling me a shill, though. Thumbs up. Maybe if we got up some money so that the modding community could get a marketing team, they could shill themselves and they could actually compete with a modding community the size of GTA. Which would be pretty cool.

• Baines says:

To be fair, Boozie linked to a thread where someone was asking about the status of Volition’s promised mod tools. The thread was made by Volition in July 2013, detailing a multi-part release plan. Over a year later, Volition has apparently managed to release the first part, which allows modding of weapons.

Saints Row modding is a bit of a mess in some ways. It could be that other Volition tools could come faster with the groundwork done for the first part. Or it could be that it will continue to take six months to a year for each small release. Updates to Saints Row itself complicate things further, as interest in modding Saints Row the Third died down with the release of Saints Row 4, and Gat Out of Hell could cause another shift of interest.

There was also the issue that Volition couldn’t really help in some areas modders were interested in, such as needed overhauls to Saints Row 2 (as CD Projekt handled/botched the porting of the PC version), or attempts to bring the first Saints Row to PC in some form (as for legal reasons Volition had to say “no” to an attempt to port SR1 content into a later game engine.)

Looking back at the Saints Row the Third forum, most of the remotely active released mod threads are for mods that were originally released before Volition ever offered support.

• malkav11 says:

No, Saints Row 2 had drinking and drugs. And FWIW, I thought Saints Row IV was a big improvement on 3 even though it didn’t address a lot of the cuts made between 2 and 3. 2′s still probably the best game in the series, but I think Gat out of Hell ought to be lovely.

• Baines says:

Saints Row 2 had drinking and drugs, but I want to recall that it was Saints Row 1 where you had actual benefits from using them. (Drinking giving you super strength and drugs giving you damage resistance, with both having the tradeoff of messing with your view.) SR2 took out the reasons to use them, and SR3 took them out entirely.

Anthile says:

I’m all for more Sainst Row but that one looks very much phoned in. Considering this is another Deep Silver product (Sacred 3, Risen 3) I fear the worst.

• John Walker says:

I’m not sure how that conclusion is discerned from the trailer! I understand the concerns, but it’s worth optimistically noting that this is from Volition, rather than an unknown team given someone else’s license. (Also, aren’t people liking Risen 3?)

• Eight Rooks says:

That is definitely worth noting. Raises my optimism quite a few notches. Gat himself is still shit, though, and a game/xpack based around the mistaken assumption I care about him in any sense is cause for concern for me.

• Jac says:

Well I’m enjoying the Risen 3 Report if that counts.

• LionsPhil says:

Well, IV was. It was one of the most disappointing games I’ve played in recent years. I stopped halfway through to go play through 2, had a much, much better time despite the godawful port (and yet otherwise slicker experience—IV is *riddled* with weirdly timed loading screens and awkward cuts that seem determined to ruin any flow, up to and including playing The Touch at you only to truncate it), and only semi-reluctantly returned to finish IV.

I’m OK with the series getting silly—3 hit a beatiful level with that—but at some point during IV they also just started just jerking off over their own cast rather than writing an actual goddamn plot with interesting and varied antagonists.

After all, I came for the dildo bats, but I stayed for the writing.

• Eight Rooks says:

I’ll take the, uh, self-indulgence over the cretinous, insulting, poisonous rubbish that was 2, thanks. It takes quite a bit to offend me, but SR2 managed it repeatedly. Not so much for the bitches and hos and so on, more the constant, blatant presumption I actually cared what was going on, and thought any of it was awesome or funny. It wasn’t, and it didn’t work as good storytelling on any level.

• LionsPhil says:

Yes, I know, your opinion is the polar opposite of mine.

But if nothing else, you must surely have preferred taking over turf from three different gangs with different vehicles under a changing sky, rather than IV’s everything-is-red-aliens-and-gloom.

• Eight Rooks says:

Nope. It was tedious, the gunplay was mediocre, the gangs and their leaders were all boring clichés at best, and I found Stilwater completely uninteresting. Plus I don’t think you appreciate how much I despised the story. Had Volition left the series there I would have said in all seriousness they ought to be ashamed of themselves for creating it.

I bought the pack with I think 2, 3 and 4 in one of the sales. I’d owned the first game ages ago and hated what little I played of it, but I’d read that much it’s-crap oh-not-it’s-not oh-yes-it-is bickering over 2 I pretty much wanted to play it just so I could see for myself if I was wrong, or if anyone who enjoyed it had to be nuts. Also to see if it would add anything to the references I was told were in 3 and 4. It reassured me I was right on the first count and left me wondering why I’d wasted twenty hours of my life on the second. I struggle to find the words to describe just how astonished I was that 3 was really good and 4 was awesome.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, that’s not what I asked you, but thanks for the rant that I must be crazy.

• Eight Rooks says:

That’s a rant? Let me simplify it, then: no, I hated nigh on everything about it, I don’t understand how you or anyone else could enjoy anything to do with it, and if you or anyone else asks me “But surely…?” I’m going to say “Jesus Christ, no, why would you ask me that after what I just said?”

• Yglorba says:

You at least recognize that it’s your opinion of IV that is somewhat out-of-the-mainstream, don’t you?

Because for the most part, the reaction I’ve seen everywhere else was that had awesome gameplay and good writing, with the only real complaint being that it didn’t have a new city.

Whereas with SR2… my impression of it was that it was a decent but mostly unremarkable GTA clone with forced attempts at controversy, boring characters and no real plot or writing to speak of. And a shitty, shitty PC port (granted, the fact that I played it on the PC might factor into my distaste for it, because its port was really almost unfathomably terrible. Even on the lowest settings, it ran noticeably worse on my PC than SR4 on the highest settings. How is that even possible? How on earth did they screw it up so badly?)

• LionsPhil says:

I must have missed the part where this was relevant to anything?

The port was outsourced by CD Projekt. Volition ported 3 and 4 in-house. (I suspect this was a publisher decision.)

• Baines says:

Yglorba, CD Projekt did the PC port of Saints Row 2, and they did an awful job of it.

• nrvsNRG says:

IV was the best, not because of the humor or story, but for the superpowers (so, the gameplay basically).

• LionsPhil says:

Strongly disagree with that. The superpowers were fiddly and unsatisyfing to use (Boss’ tendancy to want to transition to and from their run animation before they’ll respond again throws in lumps of lag all over the place), and ended up derailing the other game mechanics. Why would you ever drive when you can run or fly faster?

• PopeRatzo says:

I had a blast with Saints Row IV. It was one of my favorite games of last year.

I realize that any AAA game is going to get slagged here because it’s not a lo-res indie 2D platform text adventure or something, but the there was a actually a tender, humanistic vibe to the game and the characters that you don’t find in say, Hotline:Miami.

When the credits rolled on SR4, I laughed my head off and felt sad that I was saying so long to some imaginary friends.

I hope Volition and Deep Silver make a lot of games as good as Saints Row IV. I’ll buy them on day one long before I drop $50 to kickstart some game that will be in Early Access forever. I’m starting to tire of hipsters who believe that anything people enjoy a lot deserves scorn heaped on top of unfair criticism.

And by the way, there was nothing “fiddly” about the superpowers in SR4. You press the key and it does the thing. And of course it’s easier to fly across town than getting in a car. That’s the point.

• LionsPhil says:

Where the fuck do you even get the “you hate it because you only like hipster indie games” angle from in a thread comparing installations in a series that has always been major-publisher-backed?

• nrvsNRG says:

I played it with gamepad and thought they were perfect. Maybe different for kb/m.

• Great Cthulhu says:

Keyboard and mouse is surprisingly enjoyable in 3 & 4. I actually liked it more than the gamepad controls, which is unusual for a (non-FPS) AAA game nowadays.

• Geebs says:

Trouble with the superpowers is that they made almost all of the gameplay elements from 3 pointless, so there’s actually less to do in 4. I have personally got totally bogged down in gameplay that is only just on the right side of tedious.

• PopeRatzo says:

I’m pretty sure that was the whole idea.

• derbefrier says:

yeah the super powers are what made it for me and the silly story. without the super powers it just would have been another average GTA clone. The combat in these game is always close to terrible but the inclusion of super powers actually made it fun for me and made it more than just another GTA clone to ignore.

The King K says:

Part of the appeal for all games that made it to the PC was to make the Boss as fat as possible and have him still perform rather interesting feats of movement. Now having a fat guy jump really high and glide is the pinnacle of awesomeness. Wish I could make him heinously fat.

basilisk says:

I share your concern. I understood IV as the end of the series, or rather an extended curtain call after the brilliant performance that was Saints Row The Third. It was just messing around without much aim or purpose, and it went perhaps a bit too far in that, but I had great fun with it and it ended with a group picture that basically said, yep, that’s all folks, hope you enjoyed yourself and have a safe trip home.

Adding anything on top of that feels… very unnecessary. I honestly thought they (wisely) decided to retire this series. Going out with a bang rather than dragging it out until it becomes a whimper.

But I’d love to be proven wrong.

4. Tei says:

The subtext is that politics debate is getting drag back to hell by partisans. Only cooperation between radical left anarchist and wall street can fix this.

I expected more from a $20 expansion that this type of political analisys, but maybe this will come with a few twist and cool weapons.

Can we have a “land-shark” weapon that uses a giant worm?

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I’m guessing most younger people won’t get the Meat Loaf reference. Game looks great. I wonder if there’ll be a discount for owners of IV.

6. Eight Rooks says:

I’d say there’s plenty of justification for pessimism rather than happy expectation. No-one with any sense cares at all what happens to Jonny Gat, and the only purpose he served in 3 and 4 was to be one last, lingering stench from when the franchise was a warmed-over turd – SR2 is simply horrible, one of the most… aggressively mediocre? games I’ve ever played (and I completed the whole thing). I’d say he was one thing about 3 and even 4 you plainly were supposed to take seriously, inasmuch as you were meant to say “Oh, awesome, Jonny Gat!” whenever he turned up, and not “Oh, not you again, you brain-dead, annoying sociopath”. Even his level(s) in 4 couldn’t stop me grimacing. Added to that, as people have said, Deep Silver are hardly on a roll of late.

But I’d love to be proven wrong. Seriously. I thought everyone must be kidding themselves over 3 and 4, given how awful 2 was – and… well, I could pick a lot of holes in 3, but it was leaps and bounds ahead of the second game, and 4 was legitimately brilliant. Absolute joy pretty much from start to finish (bar, y’know, Jonny Gat and a few other things). I haven’t played (or bought) the DLC for 4, but if this is a full-on expandalone like 4 was and it can hit those heights again, then, well. There will be much rejoicing. Fingers crossed.

basilisk says:

Oh, good. I thought I was the only one who finds Gat unbearable and doesn’t understand why the game keeps treating him like he’s the second coming or something.

• Eight Rooks says:

Definitely not the only one. Though I don’t find him literally unbearable, thankfully, so I can grimace my way past the cutscenes, if needs be. The trailer did make me smile, so… cautiously optimistic here.

• LionsPhil says:

Oddly enough, I dislike Gat in 3 and 4 because by then the games are just pulling him out of the toybox and telling us “look, it’s Gat, he’s cool! (other cast members swoon in awe)” without ever really showing us that, whereas in 2 he’s at least doing things to justify his legendary sociopath status. And being amusing in his home life.

Should have left him dead after the intro to 3.

• ZephaniahGrey says:

This is the primary reason I probably won’t be buying this one. From the looks of the trailer, we’re “privileged” to play Gat in this one. The pathetic part of that being that Volition probably thinks that is some sort of dream come true for their audience, since they seem oblivious to how apathetic/unlikable the character actually is to their players. The player created main character actually manages to be more interesting and entertaining despite not even having a name.

Aerothorn says:

Will Volition ever be allowed to make a new IP?

• LionsPhil says:

Not if fanbases have anything to do with it. After the publisher finishes squeezing Saints Row dry, there’s still a horde of people who cry for a new Freespace every time they’re mentioned.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Especially if you remember they’re now owned by Deep Silver, and remember what Deep Silver is doing to the Dead Island franchise since when it was a single game that not everyone thought sucked completely.

• Kollega says:

That’s what I was thinking of. I was hoping that the next announcement from Volition will be some bold new IP that would get rid of Saints Row legacy and start something new and beautiful (and totally irreverent), but now I’m starting to doubt that will ever happen. =/ Although given that Gat Out of Hell releases in January (or February, if the Walker Principle stays true), maybe they’ll do something new afterwards. Hopefully.

8. Drake Sigar says:

This is why you should never touch a Ouija board.

9. zerosociety says:

It would seem to take place after the events of IV, given the newest Saint who you pick up at the very end of IV is onboard.

I will freely admit I’m very excited. I don’t *need* more SR, especially since where things end up at the end of IV is so brilliant, but this seems like a decent enough foray back into what was essentially a giant victory lap for the franchise, anyway.

(Though I do wonder if we might get appearances from Oleg and Josh, and other characters that didn’t make it through the first part of IV.)

10. Xocrates says:

So the trailer seems to imply the player character is Gat and/or Kinzie – meaning doing away with the customized character, which would be an interesting choice to say the least.

Yet I wonder if that’s actually the case, or if they do like they did in 3 and 4 and drop the stated plot dynamics soon into the game (meaning the trailer would only be showing the tutorial or somesuch – I would not be surprised if they literally beat Satan by shooting him in the face).

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Gat is shown being controlled, but so is Kinzie at a point, so my guess would be that you either pick one of them or have to switch back and forth.

• Spacewalk says:

Maybe you run into the Boss well before the game finishes giving you a third and customisable character to play as which would satisfy everyone. Speaking about characters turning up maybe everyone whose ever died in a SR game turns up at some point, that’s more to reuse. Only the important ones, no peasants please. Then maybe Pierce decides that it’s a good idea to screw around with the Ouija board and everyone currently living gets sucked into hell too. This is pretty sweet, it’s writing itself. I wouldn’t be surprised if for the next expandalone it goes the other way.

11. Neith says:

This… this looks horrible. I’ve noticed a trend with Deep Silver, ever since Dead Island: Riptide. They keep giving us the same game with the same assets with only minor changes to dialogue and location- except for Sacred 3, where they tried to take the series in a different direction, but had little to no inspiration or talent to get it to that direction.

Dead Island was cool and different (for a while). Then it got boring (I’ve never finished it). Then Riptide comes out, and it’s essentially the same DI with very little added. I see Dead Island II is going the route of Saint’s Row with “We aren’t serious- we’re seriously ridiculous! Aren’t we cool and different for making these non-serious games, even if they start out to try and be serious? Kill zombies with a dildo bat!” Also, Dying Light looks like another on-off from the DI world- would not be surprised if it was made from the same framework/assets of DI.

Then Deep Silver acquires SR (after the fall of THQ and the release of SR3). I love SR2, but I also love SR3. Then we hear about the “Enter the Dominatrix” dlc for 3, but it doesn’t release. Then Deep Silver gets the idea to take said DLC and slap the moniker “Saints Row IV” on it. The powers are jarry and feel like a developer tool more than anything. And they ride the mess out of all the DLC’s, because people keep thinking, “This is awesome!” Meanwhile, there is nothing new added (we could argue about the powers. I have the booty and the skills to argue that, but I do not have the time), the Character Creation is the same as III, the sky never changes, and the cars are pointless.

Then Deep Silver released Sacred 3. Instead of slogging out a rehash, updated version of Sacred 2, they decide to try and be “innovative”. Unfortunately, none of their innovations were exciting or worth noting, and the game WOULD STILL suck if it had any other name. Sacred 3 also has that “we’re not serious… we’re seriously ridiculous!” motif for it, seen most prevalent in SR and making its way over to DI.

Enter “Gat Out of Hell”. I expect we will see the same assets as we have seen in both III and IV, and while it is an “expandalone”, it will pretty much be SRIV (which, in turn, is really SR III) with different dialogue. And sadly, that’s enough for people to throw money at their monitor (a fool and his money are always quick to part).

TL:Derrrrrrrr: Just stop Deep Silver. Please.

• Xocrates says:

errr… the SR3 DLC -> SR4 thing was decided by THQ. Deep Silver just published it after THQ went under.

• Eight Rooks says:

Oh, I’ll wall of text you. I’ll do it. Seriously, all you people defending SR2, and saying oh my God, how can you be this excited about being fleeced, raaaaaaage – how is Saints Row 2 anything other than a cheap, morally bankrupt, braindead GTA knockoff? How?

The gunplay, the driving, the animation, everything about the mechanics was mediocre – I played the game, for goodness’ sake. I beat the thing. It was every bit as clunky and poorly implemented as the previous GTA games, never mind IV. And don’t say lern2play, or if you get the hang of it then it’s fine – they were mediocre. I had no trouble with them, other than the godawful helicopter missions (Christ, that had me considering hacking the game, and recoiling in fear that 3 and 4 would be just as bad). It wasn’t an especially difficult game. It was just a lifeless, boring slog through dull, uninspired art direction that did nothing to improve on anything from Rockstar.

Not to mention the story. Jesus Christ. This godawful stew of half-assed gangsta clichés and horrendously badly done amorality – why am I supposed to be getting excited over “WHOOOO WE’RE AWESOME WE GONNA KILL EVERYONE DISREGARD FEMALES ACQUIRE CURRENCY”? There is nothing to the story beyond that. Nothing. No character development, no humour, no humanity, no emotion – what in God’s name could possess anyone to care about “Gee, I sure am young, naive and ambitious! Isn’t the thug lyfe just the greatest?” And yet I’m obviously supposed to. How dumb do Volition think I am? Ham-fisted attempts at being hip and edgy that make Wanted (the movie) look like Shakespeare – give me a god damned break, please.

It was rubbish. It was a lazy, vacuous piece of crap that did absolutely nothing to distinguish itself whatsoever, and people latched onto it because games are supposed to be fun, man, and hating Rockstar was the flavour of the month. When Volition in effect then went on to say “Nah, this is going nowhere, really, is it? How about we actually, you know, really have fun with things, and drop this pathetic gangsta wannabe nonsense? How about we try being a good cartoon for once?” it was a revelation on a par with Ubisoft basically admitting that yes, the emo makeover for Warrior Within was colossally misguided.

From hateful, dreary rubbish to wonderful surrealism, actual laugh-out-loud humour, genuine fuck-off cool and technicolour joy – flaws aside (and yes, it has flaws) it really is one of the greatest reinventions any developer’s ever pulled off.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

I’m not sure how to argue with your if you believe that a game in which one activity has you spray feces at houses and police cars to lower their real state value, and another that has you drive a flaming ATV through cars that automatically explode at your touch, was actually being earnest about presenting itself as a gangsta dream.

Yes, it did have quite a lot of ham-fisted attempts at emotion and bizarre, stereotypical characters. But those were minor, brief things that happened in cutscenes. The gameplay was bad, but was lightyears better than GTA, and they not only allowed the player to beat the missions in any way they might want but encouraged it. (Meanwhile, Shamus Young wisely compares playing a GTA mission to being a stuntsman who’s not allowed to read the script beforehand.) The ethos 3rd and IV would eventually embrace was not as all-encompassing as it would become, but it definitively existed there in an embrionary form.

• Emeraude says:

Two things:

a) I personally thought SR2′s story was overall *vile*. No other word. Put a ball in my stomach at some moments.

b) From a pure game design standpoint, I still tend to think SR2 was better built than 3.

A friend of mine describes SR3 as a virtual toy, and while I don’t agree with him, I can see where he’s coming from. In its attempt at using humor and – more importantly – senselessness as a way to defuse and distance itself from its putrid past, Saints Row abandoned any pretense at systemic cohesion.

From a pure gameplay standpoint, none of the systems in place interact significantly with one another in SR3.
        That’s true also as far as the narrative/gameplay cohesion is concerned.

Compare SR2 in which conquering new territory had narrative and game-play significance, with SR3 in which you could basically have bought out your way into most of the city without having played the game or having changed it significantly. It doesn’t’ matter, it isn’t really taken into account. The money making scheme becomes barely significant very soon in the game. You end up just buying things to check them off your list.

Compare the central crib in SR2 with the cribs in SR3. The SR2 one evolves as the board state changes. It has symbolic value. The SR3 ones are *willingly* insignificant, interchangeable. If you value that kind of narrative/gameplay integration, that’s a loss. And even the buyout options they have bring nothing.

SR3 was entertaining, certainly. But I do think it threw the baby with the bath water on many respects, and ends up inferior for it.

• aepervius says:

Foolishness is in the eye of the beholder. I do not mind to have an expandalone like SR3 reusing a lot of assets, as it was done (IMHO) beautifully as opposed to the blatant terrible reuse of assets in dragon age 2. You may not like it but some of us simply bought SR4 for the enhanced gameplay and story. Yeah i know incredible.

12. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Weird, after SRIV was released and people were saying “Where can Volition go next to top this?” my immediate throught was “Eschatological, of course.” Great minds think alike.

13. Jimbot says:

It’s been said here but I’ll parrot that I liked 2 the most of all the Saints Row games. The sequels did improve the gunplay a lot as well as the driving (very floaty in 2 and the cars in that game turned 90 degrees on a dime) but 2′s greatest strengths were in the rogue gallery of characters, the gangs and their respective storylines, and the customization.

I actually liked Saints Row 3 and even more so 4 but I much preferred the “wacky in spite of itself” approach of the second game. After murdering a bunch of people I get in a car moments before “Take on Me” starts playing then my Boss starts to sing along was a crazy surreal moment. It was hilarious without being a big event. It was out of nowhere and a delightful little detail. Or having a pretty serious cutscene play where your character is dressed up like a clown. That’s just funny. It’s the little details that make it stand out. It’s why I also love the Metal Gear Solid games, the little details that other developers don’t really bother with because most people won’t see them.

Having said that, this DLC looks silly and I’ll most likely pick it up and I’m really glad that it isn’t a Saints Row sequel. But what I took away from that announcement is that Volition is working on it with High Voltage Software, so that means a chunk of Volition is working on something else. I’m really curious to know what that something else is.

14. Barberetti says:

I love loving SR2 & SR3. More fun for me!

15. PsychoWedge says:

I still don’t know if everybody actually loves Johnny Gat or if it is only Volition thinking everybody loves him. Or if maybe they love him and project that into the world. I’ve never cared for him as more than a over-the-top character and I actually don’t know one single person who has more than the feelings of acknowledgement of his existence towards him…

Also, if you can’t make your own character, SR loses like 50% of its appeal. xD

16. EvaUnit02 says:

“The game is announced for the 27th January next year, although the Walker Constant means it’s more likely to be late February. History suggests we’ll see a lot of ill-advised and ugly promotional bullshit between now and then, finishing in a game that deserved much better. Let’s hope history isn’t right this time around.”

Nobody gave a shit about “Torso-gate” in the first place except you. Seems that you’re still the only one still giving a shit about it today. Move on with your life already.

• aepervius says:

Agreed. Nobody care about torso gate because most of us recognize that it was probably not an idea ofn the dev themselves but rather than the marketing team & management, which in the eye of most (me included) see both of them as scummy.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Uh, of course it was. That’s why John says he believes the game should deserve better, and that’s why he foresees this happened now that Volition has the marketing department of Deep Silver. If he believed this to be the dev’s ideas he wouldn’t think it would happen again, as Volition’s devs have been completely imported from its THQ days.

Gap Gen says:

Well, the point being that Deep Silver *is* that as far as games go that they didn’t develop themselves, and while in the SR series their only real role probably is bankroller and maker of arcane artefacts that act as wards against any other humans visiting your home, the assumption is that hopefully they have no creative input over the series (even if traditionally publishers have had an indirect say in these things).

• Agnol117 says:

And yet, it still gets brought up every time Deep Silver is mentioned.

• Baines says:

Torsogate still has meaning. It just isn’t a meaning positive to John.

After all, it was one of the low points of RPS’s history, where John went on an all-out attack on a publisher for doing things that John had imagined a press release had said. When commenters pointed out that John was wrong, rather than accept his mistake and apologize, John tried to defend his misinterpretation and switched gears. Then RPS continued to bring up “Torsogate” for a few months, still hounding it as if to try to make it an issue by brute force. Even trying to bring it into the “The Silence”, another crusade that would later blow up in RPS’s face.

Gap Gen says:

Typo – it confused me that you referred to part VI when I figured you probably meant IV. Unless you can tell me whether I’ve just crawled out of a cave and there are two new Saints Row games, and if so, have screens developed the technology to absorb money thrown at them yet?

18. Demon Beaver says:

Vogel! I missed that guy so much! It also makes perfect sense to see him in hell…

A slight bummer to me is that if you play Gat, you don’t get to choose your crazy accent and bold/bald looks… still, really looking forward to it!

19. JohnnyPanzer says:

I must say, it’s a pretty bold move to outsource the character modeling to various kindergartens. Just look at that frickin’ thing!

20. Spacewalk says:

Game of the year again.

21. Assaf says:

Oh man! Not dull colors and backgrounds again!
    SR4 was good, but I didn’t like that the whole city looked the same, always with that certain hue (what was it – puprle? red?). I wanna see sky, clouds, sun! Shadows and light! Not this alien blablasameish thing.
    This setting seems boring.
    And by the way, in SR3 I LOVED the ~50s part. When you wake up in that house and go to the street – can you remember how beautiful it was?! The sky?! It was. Man, I like that part.
    Anyway. Looks like this will be another dull setting, with one color prominent. I’m hope I’m wrong.

• LionsPhil says:

Yes, one of my big beefs with IV is that goddamn oppressive colour scheme never goes away, no matter how much of the simulation you’ve supposedly conquered.

• aepervius says:

They should have gone for a “saboteur” type of liberating, oppressing color scheme being shifted to vibrant color when liberated. Saboteur had it with black & white /washed up color turning vibrant when liberated IIRC.

22. Bori says:

Saints Row 2 is one of my favourite games ever.

I quite liked 3, and 4 slightly more so.

That being said my perfect Saints Row game would be 2 remade in the current engine with upgraded graphics and combat.

23. Doctor Coque says:

More Saints Row is always good but I might pass this since I always found Gat’s character completely unlikable and I never got why he was so hyped throughout the series. I don’t think he has much personality in him, I’d much rather play as Pierce or Shaundi.

24. Laurentius says:

Maybe there is something wrong with me but SRIII and IV rivals Watch_Dogs for the worst open world game I’ve ever played. Sure there a few good bits here and there but overall experience is incredibly bland, boring and tedious.

25. Nastrali says:

27 DLC’s later and still no new modding tools? Come on Volition, where is all this modding support you promised!

26. clopin says:

I’m not gonna lie, if I can’t play as my French accented, purple haired, aviator toting, overly tattooed, first female president, I will be sorely disappointed. The boss is one of my favorite parts of these games.

• Doctor Coque says:

Agreed, one of the things that got me into Saints Row was character customization. If I can’t create my own Saint, then screw it. Gat can stay in hell for all I care.

27. Eggman says:

Don’t kids these days learn to never invoke a demon’s name, unless you actually want to meet it/him/her?

28. summerhorton says:

Overlord games are definitely worth it for that price if haven’t played them. The game play can be kinda repetitive, but nice range of environments and enemies and the goblins and the ragtag weapons and hats they pick up are engaging this game well follow link. http://to.ly/DZw3

Comment on this story