PDA

View Full Version : So hey I'm new and I want to build a new system.

Scroll
04-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Yup, games have started to bully my pc quite a bit and now I want to make plans to buy a new system. I would like to keep a few things to help keep the price down, so I'll keep my HDD's and my old Ati 5770 vapor x until a later date.

I basically want to get rid of my q660 running at 2.4ghz. And in the process switch to a bigger, cooler and quieter case.

So far I've had a look at a few Overclockers.co.uk bundles for mobo's, cpu's, ram and cpu cooler and they seem to an ok deal, but I'm wondering if it's better to build it all myself to save cash but I'm unsure.

As for cases I've had a quick look at some large towers and I've seen some basic stuff for the Coolermaster HAF x or whatever that monstrosity is.. But that might be over doing it.

By the way I've been on the frontpage for this site for quite some time, just never visited the forums. Hi and sorry for the wall of text.

Simon
04-06-2011, 06:01 PM
dont buy from ocuk

Scroll
04-06-2011, 06:24 PM
dont buy from ocuk
... Because?

I've had relatively great experiences with them in the past.

Alex Bakke
04-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Yeah, OCUK are usually great.

Simon
04-06-2011, 06:31 PM
because they are just awful.

aria is probably best then maybe scan

jackspade
04-06-2011, 06:32 PM
dont buy from ocuk...because they are just awful.

Be interested in a reason...OCUK have fantastic service and their service response time is usually measured in hours (especially if you post on their forum service boards).

To OP: you won't save that much going for a totally custom build vs an OCUK bundle. I've never bought one of their pre-overclocked bundles but most of the forum users there have good experiences of them. I know that their OCed cpus are cherry picked (their main build guy tests many dozens of cpus and bins them for overclocking potential) so you can be sure of getting a good chip that way.

What's your case budget?

Sweedums
04-06-2011, 06:45 PM
I haven't ever used OCuk but I know people who have and the feedback has always been positive. I've had very good experiences with Scan.co.uk as well as cclonline.com

I find Scan generally has slightly better prices, but I tend to take CCL over them because they are local (based in Leeds)... either way, both suppliers are pretty darn good.

Scroll
04-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Be interested in a reason...OCUK have fantastic service and their service response time is usually measured in hours (especially if you post on their forum service boards).

To OP: you won't save that much going for a totally custom build vs an OCUK bundle. I've never bought one of their pre-overclocked bundles but most of the forum users there have good experiences of them. I know that their OCed cpus are cherry picked (their main build guy tests many dozens of cpus and bins them for overclocking potential) so you can be sure of getting a good chip that way.

What's your case budget?

Yeah I helped my dad by a pc off their and they were very helpful. Shopped with them for years with brilliant customer service and quick delivery.

It's nice to know they take a lot of care when selecting the cpu. One thing I have very little knowledge of is the main benefit of Sandybridge over a regular i5, there's about 100 quid difference between the bundles.

I want to spend around 600 overall. I can go over that if I have to, I won't be buying this until July/August time.
So that's around 200 just for the case?

LittleLizard
04-06-2011, 07:05 PM
I dont know much of UK prices, but what i do always that i build a pc for myself is this: Screw the case. I buy an "EL CHEAPO" generic piece of #$%&, and then use the savings on more performance. As for recommendation, try building an AMD Phenom II X4 system. I think the best price/performance ratio is there.

Scroll
04-06-2011, 07:16 PM
I dont know much of UK prices, but what i do always that i build a pc for myself is this: Screw the case. I buy an "EL CHEAPO" generic piece of #$%&, and then use the savings on more performance. As for recommendation, try building an AMD Phenom II X4 system. I think the best price/performance ratio is there.

Well I've currently got a cheap ass NZXT and it's more than a bit noisey and hot, so I'll probably spend a bit on a case that I intend to keep for years.

jackspade
04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Yeah I helped my dad by a pc off their and they were very helpful. Shopped with them for years with brilliant customer service and quick delivery.

It's nice to know they take a lot of care when selecting the cpu. One thing I have very little knowledge of is the main benefit of Sandybridge over a regular i5, there's about 100 quid difference between the bundles.

I want to spend around 600 overall. I can go over that if I have to, I won't be buying this until July/August time.
So that's around 200 just for the case?

Sandybridge is around 15-20% faster than i5/i7 clock for clock, and can reach higher overclocks. If your getting a new system now, I'd go for SB.

That said, your card is a 5770 and it will bottleneck an i5 in most games, so unless you plan to upgrade the GPU there's no real reason to go SB. i5 at 4Ghz is plenty fast enough :).

200 for the case is luxury, at that price you can look at some of the Lian Li ones. It depends on what you want - whether cooling is your priority, or build quality, looks (subtle or 'louder' etc). If I were you I'd get a cheaper (80? Check out the Fractal Design Arc that's on pre-order on OCUK - fantastic cooling, great looks) and sell the 5770 and upgrade your GPU to take full advantage of your new system.

How about soemthing like this:
2500k: 175
Asus P8P67 PRO: 150
~60 for your preferred RAM kit
Fractal Arc Midi: 75
Reference AMD 6850: 150

For a total of 600.

Here's a performance comparison between the two gpus: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/296?vs=291

Bear in mind the 6850 scales amazingly well, and crossfire 6850 is a really good upgrade path doe the future (I'm sort of assuming here that you're a gamer :p).

[UW]
04-06-2011, 07:23 PM
In terms of CPU, as I understand it buying anything other than a sandybridge K model (2500K i5 or 2600K i7 I think) is something of a waste as they provide exponentially more "bang for your buck" than pretty much everything else on the market.

Scroll
04-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Wow lots of great info!

Yeah I'll definitely go for a Sandybridge, that extra 100 or so on the bundle will be worth it in the long run.
As far as the 5770 is concerned, I expect to rip it out and put something far nicer in shortly after getting the basic setup. I may even be able to sell off all the spare parts towards that new card!

And with the case I really want it to be as cool, quiet and futureproof for larger cards in the future. I want to continue expanding on the rig quite a bit before years end.

Thanks for all the advice it's definitely given me confidence in getting a bundle based off the i5 2500k.

Oh yeah i've been using pc's since the early 90's so it's quite possible that I do like games quite a bit. Atleast my steam library would attest to that. I'd quite like to play Stalker: Call of Pripyat well as well not have to do a complete overhaul of the system to play the sequel that they've been teasing.

Scroll
04-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Oh And I've had a look at the Fractal designs cases and they seem really well priced. I'm currently considering the R3, it doesn't look too flashy but it doesn't need to be and cheap enough that I can get a corsair TX 750watt in my budget.

So with all that I'd be spending 607 before postage. Then later down the line I will replace my main HDD with an SSD with a windows 7 license and get a much nicer gpu as well.

JohnnyK
04-06-2011, 11:28 PM
I used to do that. Then I realized airflow (overclocking!) and noise reduction are important things too, and most brand cases are also much easier to access when building the rig. Besides, the 30 or so bucks that you'll save with your POS case (unless the alternative is something ultrafancy) won't make too much of a difference on the performance side.

Wolfenswan
04-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Check http://www.hardware-revolution.com/

They usually update their stuff once per month and explain a lot regarding why they picked one part over the other.
Really good site.

westyfield
05-06-2011, 12:37 AM
dont buy from ocuk

because they are just awful.

Awful in what way? I usually buy components from there and have always found their service to be really good.

To the OP - I know little about hardware (I usually ask my brother for advice in such matters) so I'm afraid I can't help. Sorry!

Simon
05-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Awful in what way? I usually buy components from there and have always found their service to be really good.

poor prices, poor customer service, poor returns, returns resold as a grade stock etc etc

that bald idiot who does them tv shows...dead dick domonic could do a whole series on how ocuk rip people off

jackspade
05-06-2011, 01:21 AM
poor prices, poor customer service, poor returns, returns resold as a grade stock etc etc

that bald idiot who does them tv shows...dead dick domonic could do a whole series on how ocuk rip people off

You're funny :p.

Scroll
05-06-2011, 02:06 AM
So yeah anyway.. I've setup a basic spec with the i5 2500k, Asus etc bundle, Cooler Master HAF X and Corsair TX 750 watt comes in at 665 which I can earn by August with spare left over. Then for a month I'll just run it with my current 2 harddrives and gpu. Then I think I'll get a SSD 30 gig for my boot drive, 1tb western digital caviar black and windows 7 for 204 then a month or two later I'll get a new gpu, possibly whatever Nvidia/ati announce for the end of the year.

How does that sound?

JohnnyK
05-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Then I think I'll get a SSD 30 gig for my boot drive
Just to boot the OS? Your boot will be faster, but how often do you boot per day?

I'd strongly recommend a bigger SSD which can also hold your most-used apps.

Rossignol
05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah, aim for about 100gb on the SSD.

winterwolves
05-06-2011, 12:43 PM
I wanted to make a new PC with SSD too, but I read an article (if I find the link again will post it) that they FAIL a lot! much more than normal HD...

jackspade
05-06-2011, 01:14 PM
I wanted to make a new PC with SSD too, but I read an article (if I find the link again will post it) that they FAIL a lot! much more than normal HD...

Not true (lalalalalalalalla).

OP: that's a decent build you got there. Usually I'd say drop the TX for a modular, but the HAF X is so big it doesn't matter so much.

Scroll
05-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah I'm still considering a lot of things and I might wait to get an SSD later on because the 120gig drives might be a little out of my price range but we'll see. I think I might just get a single Western digital Caviar black 500gig to boot and use my current 1tb for a month for all my steam stuff.

And I might be able to work during the Henley regatta as well so I might be able to get an SSD right away if I'm lucky.

When I order the bundle I might ask Overclockers to swap out the ram for 8gigs worth as well.

Nullkigan
05-06-2011, 02:31 PM

OP: that's a decent build you got there. Usually I'd say drop the TX for a modular, but the HAF X is so big it doesn't matter so much.

The HAF-X is so big that it's actually difficult to get the second power cable (6 pin, not 12 pin) to the correct slot on the motherboard, especially if you have a large heatsink.

I've managed it, just barely, with modular 750 and 1000W Corsair PSUs.

Scroll
05-06-2011, 02:48 PM
That's slightly worrying. Maybe the Fractal design R3 will be just fine...

winterwolves
05-06-2011, 02:51 PM

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/05/the-hot-crazy-solid-state-drive-scale.html

jackspade
05-06-2011, 03:50 PM
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/05/the-hot-crazy-solid-state-drive-scale.html

As far as I can tell that is based on one person's own experience. The story of his friend having EIGHT drives fail on him is...well....either he's the unluckiest person in the world or there's something wrong there. Maybe he keeps on dropping them in the loo.

I frequent a lot of hardware forums and in the past year I can't recall seeing any reports SSDs outright failing. So...I went looking for some actual data - instead of personal horror stories - and found this:

1TB drive failure rates:
- 5.76% Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B
- 5.20% Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C
- 3.68% Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
- 3.37%: Samsung SpinPoint F1
- 2.51% Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
- 2.37%: WD Caviar Green WD10EARS
- 2.10% Seagate Barracuda LP
- 1.57%: Samsung SpinPoint F3
- 1.55%: WD Caviar Green WD10EADS
- 1.35%: WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS
- 1.24%: Maxtor DiamondMax 23
2TB drive failure rates:
- 9.71%: WD Caviar Black WD2001FASS
- 6.87% Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000
- 4.83%: WD Caviar Green WD20EARS
- 4.35% Seagate Barracuda LP
- 4.17%: Samsung EcoGreen F3
- 2.90%: WD Caviar Green WD20EADS
SSD failure rates by manufacturer:
- Intel 0.59%
- Corsair 2.17%
- Crucial 2.25%
- Kingston 2.39%
- OCZ 2.93%

Source: http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/29329-ssd-failure-rates-compared-to-hard-drives/

And the OCZ figures have gone straight down now they use sandforce controllers. In fact, the newer Indi and Sandforce controller failure rates are supposed to be infinitesimally small.

Reading further, a lot of these 'failures' are from users trying to install and use dodgy firmware, and also from not setting motherboard controller options correctly.

winterwolves
05-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Ah cool, thanks for the info! definitely better than one single user experience indeed :)
I'm seriously thinking to get at least a 64Gb one for boot + main programs I use (for gaming I don't really need it...)

CuriousOrange
07-06-2011, 04:52 PM
You will save quite a bit building it yourself rather than OCUK. My friend bought his rig from there, it works great, looks great and they gave him excellent customer service. But he paid a fuckton more for it as he picked it up from them. So it's up to you.