PDA

View Full Version : Games like the Witcher (2)

Eightyseven
04-06-2011, 08:45 PM
so I recently finished both Witcher games

and i was wondering are there any comparable games?
in the sense of choices and the story

cowthief skank
04-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Have you played Mass Effect?

Not really massively comparable, but vaguely...

TychoCelchuuu
04-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, and Arcanum.

Wednesday
04-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Alpha Protocol.
Well yes, true, but I found the story and world you affect utterly worthless.

raddevon
04-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I would love to hear some responses on this too. I've only gotten into Western RPGs fairly recently, and, although Mass Effect and Dragon Age are similar, I haven't really played anything that makes me feel nearly as invested as The Witcher (and now the sequel). I did really enjoy the world of Fallout 3 in very much the same way, but the decisions there don't have near the nuance.

am138
05-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Are you talking similar as in the setting, era and general themes, or similar as in the non-linear faction-based allegiance kind of thing?

Because both currently released Deus Ex's (although they have linear elements) kind of fit the bill on the whole 'choose your side' RPG front. Dragon Age: Origins is good, I'd definitely recommend that, although I'd personally steer clear of DA II - I was thoroughly disappointed with it as they've simplified it and turned it into an Action RPG with much more action than RPG. I can recommend Mount & Blade Warband - it's hardly a similar game but it's very open as to what you do and set in a period time.

EDIT: Fallout 3 and New Vegas are both good - New Vegas has much better and more varied quests in my opinion but playing it without having played Fallout 3 will mean a lot of the back story is lost.

Jockie
05-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I second Alpha Protocol in terms of the decision making aspect. It's perhaps not quite as pronounced in the effect it has throughout the game as the Witcher 2 (where you essentially get two games for the price of one depending on your actions), but it's still a cut above most RPG's in terms of cause and effect. It's quite astounding in the differences at the end of the game that depend on who you're friendly with and the way the story concludes has room for a lot of variety. It also manages to turn the conversation wheel from the likes of Mass Effect into something engaging and exciting. The sneaking and combat is a little bit shit however.

As mentioned above, New Vegas is much better in the story-telling aspects than Fallout 3 and you get a bigger say in how things turn out, and who you ally with, due to the faction system.

Vexing Vision
05-06-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm a huge fan of Drakensang, especially the second part. While there is not much replay value (your decisions really don't seem to matter), the puzzles are extremely clever, and the story is set up as if your choices REALLY matter.

Drake Sigar
05-06-2011, 01:13 PM
“Fish, fresh fish!” Drakensang’s a good game, but an emphasis on choices it does not have. Alpha Protocol is the king in that regard. The key word here is consequences. There are so many consequences (both immediate and long term) to your dialogue choices and mission performance. Don’t believe the absurdly low scores the majority of reviewing sites gave Alpha Protocol, most of them haven’t had a shred of credibility for years. If you can stomach the bugs it’s a rich and rewarding experience.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is my favourite though. The Xp system only rewards completion of quests, and the atmosphere is unparalleled.

Wolfenswan
05-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is my favourite though. The Xp system only rewards completion of quests, and the atmosphere is unparalleled.

This!
Be sure to get the fanmade patch (http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php) as it fixes A LOT of stuff and content.

Bloodlines tends to get duller and less storyfocused towards the endgame, but it's design and quest writing towards then is mostly excellent (BUT it unforgivably sports one of the most tedious sewer levels of all time)

vast_girth
05-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Gothic 1/2, Risen i think are the most similar experiences you will get...

Eightyseven
05-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Have you played Mass Effect?

Not really massively comparable, but vaguely...

Well I have it on my steam account but never really got into it

might give it another go

Are you talking similar as in the setting, era and general themes, or similar as in the non-linear faction-based allegiance kind of thing?

Because both currently released Deus Ex's (although they have linear elements) kind of fit the bill on the whole 'choose your side' RPG front. Dragon Age: Origins is good, I'd definitely recommend that, although I'd personally steer clear of DA II - I was thoroughly disappointed with it as they've simplified it and turned it into an Action RPG with much more action than RPG. I can recommend Mount & Blade Warband - it's hardly a similar game but it's very open as to what you do and set in a period time.

EDIT: Fallout 3 and New Vegas are both good - New Vegas has much better and more varied quests in my opinion but playing it without having played Fallout 3 will mean a lot of the back story is lost.

Similar like an interesting world where your actions will influence the world and game itself
and choices do have a real impact

Simon
05-06-2011, 03:22 PM
the witcher 1

cowthief skank
05-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Well I have it on my steam account but never really got into it

might give it another go

Specifically, Mass Effect 2. The Mass Effect series is also similar to the Witcher in that the first and second games are quite different from each other, and also that you can carry over a save from one to the other - though I felt like this made a bigger difference in Mass Effect.

The Innocent
05-06-2011, 06:51 PM
If you found the world of the Witcher compelling, I think you'd find the Fallout universe interesting. Fallout 1 and 2 and New Vegas all allowed for great decision-making that actually impacted an interesting world in fundamental ways, and contained plenty of morally-grey choices. Fallout 3... not so much. It has a linear narrative despite its great open world, and the level of impact you have on folks feels entirely limited to grumpy raider or wasteland-Jesus. Also, unlike someone mentioned above, the narrative in New Vegas has absolutely nothing to do with FO3 -- it's really a continuation of the story from FO1 and 2.

Planescape: Torment is one of my favorite games of all time, but the decisions are of a different flavor. They don't alter the world so much as they affect your character. So nations won't rise or fall based on your actions (with two minor exceptions), but you can sell your friends into slavery or find redemption and love, etc. Still, it's a tremendous game that doesn't leave many folks disappointed.

I'd also second Alpha Protocol. It's rough around the edges, but the amount of choices in that game is truly staggering. A friend and I played it at the same time and we had completely different perspectives on the same characters, based entirely on the different things we'd discovered about them.