PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do and Feel If You Lost 1TB of Files?

squirrel
14-08-2011, 12:22 PM
No, this is not technical support question I raise here. Yes, my 1TB HD is dead, and I know how to get it replaced.

I would like to know from you mates, what would you feel and respond while you lost about 1TB (mine, 921GB to be exact) of data? Precisely speaking, I didnt lose it, but I am losing convenient access to it. I reserve everything in discs. Discs with 921GB, as you can imagine, are countless. I guess about 50 CDs, and the rest are DVDs. I cannot reinstall everything into my new HD. So those files are sort of like being buried, can be dug out if needed, but with difficulty. I regret not taking my friends' advice to do backup on external HDD.

HDD these days are not that reliable afterall. In case you wonder, my lost files include classnotes, multmedia files such as movies, TV shows, and MP3s.

Gerbick
14-08-2011, 12:30 PM
I would be rather angry with myself had I no backups at all. (Checks last backup of data. Oops, too long ago).

Mainly my data is music, followed by game saves/mods etc and the odd film.

If I actually lost the data I would cry.

soldant
14-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I actually went through the exact same thing, and I didn't have backups. Fortunately the majority of the data wasn't actually that important (a fair chunk of it was actually just backups, the HDD was attached to my home server) but I still raged all the same.

What was a whole lot less amusing was that my rig's SSD failed shortly afterwards, and since the backups were on the failed server HDD, I lost an obscene amount of data. This was made infinitely worse by the fact that the SSD was paired with another in a RAID0 config, so I was pretty much completely screwed in terms of attempting any kind of recovery myself. I managed to salvage quite a bit from the server's HDD, which I could get working just long enough to get the essentials off, before it finally died completely. I also found a backup from a few months ago which had a lot of my music and photos, which hadn't changed that much.

For a while there though I just sat there in total disbelief. Then... violence! It did encourage me to start a new backup regimen to increase data redundancy. And it just received a trial by fire when another HDD failed, and fortunately the new system worked. Lesson learned I guess?

Kadayi
14-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I keep backups of personal files and photos. Other stuff..not so fussy about. I have a few separate hard drives though and partitions to minimize disc failure. I have used recovery software before to get stuff back off a drive that got wiped before. Took a long time to do, but I restored everything.

TillEulenspiegel
14-08-2011, 06:32 PM
my lost files include classnotes
Stick it on Dropbox. All the small, important files. Most of the stuff I do is write code, write text, and do research (and write notes about it). Everything gets copied to Dropbox, which means it's automagically mirrored on both Amazon's storage infrastructure and all my other PCs that have Dropbox installed. Instant local and remote backups.

There are a few larger things I have that can't always be easily replaced. Mostly PDF scans of rare, out-of-print books that are nearly impossible to legally obtain. Tons of PDFs of journal articles I downloaded when I had a university VPN account, but would be a pain in the ass to get again. I don't even have that shit organized (it's spread across multiple drives), let alone backed up. It would suck to lose it; I really should sort it out.

Nalano
14-08-2011, 07:11 PM
I'd be rather kinda miserable.

Thankfully, I have a RAID.

NecroKnight
14-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Depends what files were lost. If it were my favourite games, music, movies and so on I would get an nervous breakdown.

Donjo
14-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Had a bit of a scare recently... there's a bit of a synopsis elsewhere in the forums.
I now understand the value of proper backups. If I had actually lost everything I know what it would feel like though because I was preparing myself for it. Not that bad actually, although I suppose the real loss would only become apparent over a long period of time.

Mohorovicic
15-08-2011, 01:20 PM
I would never have this issue because the largest amount of non-replaceable data(i.e. something I made myself) would be less than 1MB of space.

If I ever because more... creative, I would keep the data backed up online(i.e. images on my deviantart/photobucket account, etc.)

President Weasel
16-08-2011, 12:12 AM
In this scenario I wouldn't be that stressed about movies and TV shows, as, seeing as they're sitting on an HDD, I probably paid the low low cost of nothing for them in the first place. Losing classnotes would be annoying, but if they were backed up I wouldn't be that stressed.

squirrel
16-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi, mates, just got my new HD installed.

The technicians addressing my machine concluded that my HD was dead because of overheat. His evidence is that some of printed words on the case of the HD melted down. He believed that the graphic card next to it maybe the killer (he showed to me by a program called Afterburner by MSI, that the GPU temperature reached 78 C even just for running the desktop), and that all HDs with capacity over 320GB are short-life. Sigh. As I know most production lines of HDD, which has been long considered low-tech, have migrated to our country, and thus causing the low-quality problem owing to cut-throat price competition. My dead HD simply cannot be detected, so very likely the PCB running it is dead. I still have good chance that the disk, and therefore the data, inside is intact. Thank god I can have chance to restore it, but price has to be paid. Sigh.

Actually, most of the 921GB data can be put aside. Not abandoned, but put aside in discs, as about 800GB are media files. What bothers me is the loss of 134GB of class notes, text books and research notes. Yes I've stored them in discs, but I have been collecting them for about a decade. You see, it's not that I can categorize them into folders to write them in discs. I can do that in HDD, but never in discs. So what I actually lose is something like a library system, and I cannot restore it without reinstalling everything in discs. My habit is to write a disc once the files accumulated enough to fill most space of a disc. And to me, discs to me is not a kind of back up, it's more like a permanent storage.

Megagun
16-08-2011, 01:21 PM
I back things up depending on how restore-able and how important they are.

Things that simply can't be restored and are VERY important (KeepAss database, private keys) get pushed to a webserver and another server daily using Duplicati (http://code.google.com/p/duplicati/). The sensitive nature of these files means I won't be eager to use DropBox, even if they're all individually encrypted.

As far as photos and such go (somewhat important, hard to recover): I need a proper solution for that. They're all sitting on a server at home, and various relatives have some of these files, but they need to be mirrored/backed up.

As far as code and documents go: GitHub, BitBucket, Google Docs. A lot of code I write is open-source (GitHub), hosted on BitBucket (private repositories, usually waiting to be open-sourced), or not important enough to warrant any kind of backup strategy.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on a Windows client for SparkleShare (http://sparkleshare.org/), and I'm looking into perhaps using Acid Rain (http://myacidrain.com/) or ownCloud (http://owncloud.org/index.php/Main_Page) for some random stuff. My biggest problem is that I don't want to have a PC up 24/7 (energy costs, potential fire hazard), and external hosting tends to be expensive. Plus, I want an all-in-one solution that I could use to host some of my own software, too. Essentially, I'd need root access to some (virtual?) machine with plenty of HD space. Unfortunately, those aren't always cheap.