PDA

View Full Version : Bet you never heard this before

Nalano
14-08-2011, 06:41 PM
So I've been getting into a DK2 kick after figuring out how to make it work on Win7 64. Fiddle with the registry, run in compatibility mode, it works great!

But I don't often turn my computer off, and Windows forced a shutdown to do updates while I was away at work. I come back, it's stuck on a post code on the Intel splash screen.

Last time I had this, it wasn't the RAM, it wasn't the CMOS (tho resetting that's sometimes necessary to get it to stop being retarded), and it wasn't the hard drives. It was a stinkin' USB headset that caused the computer to go all bonkers while booting itself. It was sorta like my computer had one of those crippling emotional complexes only supervillains have: "My hordes are laying waste to everything! I am invincible! Nothing can stop me-- IS THAT COTTON CANDY? NOOOOO"

This time, however, it was the DK2 CD left in the drive. Now, I'm not so daft as to have a boot sequence with CD up on the top of the list, and even if I did I've left CDs in the drive before during boot with no adverse effects. I even put in a different CD to test that theory, and lo and behold my computer booted fine. It was DK2. DK2 was communing with my mobo. My mobo is demonic.

Kelron
14-08-2011, 06:55 PM
If you put the DK2 CD back in does it do it again?

Nalano
14-08-2011, 06:56 PM
If you put the DK2 CD back in does it do it again?

Yep! 10char

QuantaCat
14-08-2011, 08:51 PM
What. The. Fuck. Demonic presences? But seriously though, a lot of things can set off windows. I guess that's true even for Win7.

Also: you still use CDs? as in physical disc images on a physical disc?!

Nalano
14-08-2011, 09:20 PM
I know, right? When - if - it comes out on GoG, I'll rebuy it like I did DK1. (Same goes for SMAX)

TillEulenspiegel
14-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Now, I'm not so daft as to have a boot sequence with CD up on the top of the list, and even if I did I've left CDs in the drive before during boot with no adverse effects. I even put in a different CD to test that theory, and lo and behold my computer booted fine. It was DK2. DK2 was communing with my mobo. My mobo is demonic.
Betcha it has something to do with the copy protection. Just a guess, but if the BIOS is searching for boot information on the drive and finding bad sectors or something (the uncopyable bits), that could be a problem.

That, or demons. Probably demons.

QuantaCat
15-08-2011, 07:10 AM
DAEMONS!!!!

I sometimes have to take out some RAM for it to boot again. Not always the same one though.

CMaster
15-08-2011, 09:10 AM
I once spilled water on my keyboard.
Spent the next few hours reinstalling Windows - somehow that broke the windows install.

Tei
15-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Booting a CD is running some sort of program in the CD. So maybe that program put the bios in bad state/change/activate something that wen Windows try to run cause a hard crash. My plan B theory is that DK2 is using some weird encoding "red book" "yellow book" that as a special bug, if you use other cd with the same encoding (say.. "yellow book") you will get the same problem.

Harlander
15-08-2011, 09:56 AM
DAEMONS!!!!

I sometimes have to take out some RAM for it to boot again. Not always the same one though.

You aughta go through the endless, unutterably boring process of running Memtestx86 on the memory, swapping it out to see which one is duff, etc. etc, then wasting money on a new stick to replace the broken one...

Or maybe not.

QuantaCat
16-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I dont think its necessary; I actually think that it sometimes isnt in properly. But then it works and works and works till I have to transport it or change something around, then I have to repeat the RAM thing again.