PDA

View Full Version : Ridley Scott to revisit 'Blade Runner'

Kaira-
19-08-2011, 01:54 PM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118041498?categoryid=4076&cs=1&cmpid=

Ridley Scott is returning to "Blade Runner,'' coming aboard to direct a new version of his landmark sci-fier.
Alcon Entertainment confirmed Thursday that Scott's attached, five months after it secured film, TV and ancillary franchise rights to produce prequels and sequels to the 1982 future-noir thriller starring Harrison Ford.

Scott will produce along with Alcon toppers Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson. Bud and Cynthia Yorkin will also produce.

Kosove told Variety that he and Johnson had always wanted Scott to be involved. "There's really no one else who could do this as well," Kosove added.
[...]

He also said he's hoping to be in production in 18 months.

We're at a very preliminary stage in discussing hiring a writer, and we're still formulating strategy as to whether we'll do a prequel or a sequel," Kosove said.
[...]

Any thoughts? I personally don't see any need for revisiting Blade Runner.

thegooseking
19-08-2011, 01:57 PM
I'd like to see Scott make another movie like Blade Runner, but yeah, I don't necessarily want him to revisit Blade Runner itself.

Nalano
19-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Yeah, Blade Runner's good already. Why screw it up?

Rii
19-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Hmm ... ask me again post-Prometheus.

thegooseking
19-08-2011, 02:14 PM
I think Ridley Scott's actually a better game designer than he is a film director, and he doesn't even know it. He's such a spatial and aesthetic director that his strengths would translate very well into games while his weaknesses wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Imagine the level design in a game directed by Ridley Scott. That would be something.

Rii
19-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Yeah, Blade Runner's good already. Why screw it up?

I don't think he's planning to splice the new film into the old.

DiamondDog
19-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Hmm ... ask me again post-Prometheus.

After I calmed myself I realised it depends on a lot of things, one of them definitely being the quality of Prometheus. He hasn't exactly been faultless with his recent movies, so who knows what we will get. If it's a whole new story based in the world shown in the original then that would interest me. Something that was full of references and fan service, or some pointless link to Deckard would be a bit disappointing but I can see that happening. Trying to explain things in a sequel or set up the original with a prequel is totally unnecessary. The Matrix should forever be a warning. Don't try and fill in all the blanks, leave something to the audience. Especially if it's Zion.

If he tries to pull a John Carpenter and do a straight remake of his own film I'll damn him to hell for all eternity.

Lambchops
19-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Terrible idea.

Nalano
19-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't think he's planning to splice the new film into the old.

I didn't say he was.

I just think that remakes, sequels et al just for the sake of reusing an IP - especially one as beloved as Blade Runner - is a recipe for disaster.

Not too recently, they remade Fame in a vain attempt to get a piece of the Glee pie. It was horrible and an insult to the original, which still stands up on its own.

imirk
19-08-2011, 03:53 PM
He should make snow crash :D

Nalano
19-08-2011, 03:57 PM
He should make snow crash :D

I wanna skateboard by lassoing magnets on passing cars!

Rii
19-08-2011, 04:04 PM
I just think that remakes, sequels et al just for the sake of reusing an IP - especially one as beloved as Blade Runner - is a recipe for disaster.

That's hardly an unusual position, but I don't agree with it. It may be a terrible idea or otherwise disrespectful of the original work, but that work still stands alone. Unless your name is George Lucas subsequent events can't harm it. And frankly, it could be a lot worse. That the studio evidently wanted and was able to bring Ridley Scott on board suggests they're taking it seriously.

Nalano
19-08-2011, 04:09 PM
That the studio evidently wanted and was able to bring Ridley Scott on board suggests they're taking it seriously.

Just because there's a big name involved doesn't mean the product will be good. Everybody's capable of making flops, and most everybody has. Indeed, Hollywood's well known for packing in big names in the hopes that they'll sell uninspired dreck. That fact that he's been signed on and THEN starts looking for a writer pretty much underlines the cynicism.

Honestly, I'd be more impressed if he'd just make a new story in a new universe. He's done it before.

Jacques
19-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Imagine the level design in a game directed by Ridley Scott. That would be something.

They'd look nice, but whether or not they'd be playable is another matter.

Rii
19-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Just because there's a big name involved doesn't mean the product will be good.

Not 'a big name', but the same guy who directed the original film. And of course that doesn't mean that it will be good, but it does suggest respect for the original property and an intent to get it right. And even if it IS absolutely terrible, nothing will have been wrecked. Indeed, the coverage, whatever the tone, is almost certain to result in Blade Runner being exposed to a wider audience, just as Fincher's upcoming The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is likely to expose the 'original' Swedish film to a wider audience. And if the film is commercially successful but spits in the face of the original then folks like us get to carry on feeling all embittered and superior. It's win-win.

imirk
19-08-2011, 04:33 PM
obligitory posting of tom francis thinks deckard is an idiot: http://www.pentadact.com/2010-07-24-deckard-blade-runner-moron/

also snappy editing might help the film, but then again why dont they just re-release it re-edited, I don't think there are enough edits of the original yet.

Xercies
19-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Blade Runner is a pretty great film, but hmm its Ridley Scott and he did make it so I would be wary but I might see it. Hopefully they go back to the model speciel effects instead of CGI, even today Blade Runner still looks fantastic

Wooly Wugga Wugga
20-08-2011, 06:05 PM
I'd love to see him revisit the Blade Runner universe. There is massive potential for so many great stories. Obviously it could all go horribly wrong but it could also be absolutely brilliant. If the new films are forgettable it doesn't mean the original suddenly ceases to exist.

icupnimpn2
20-08-2011, 08:13 PM
I've only ever seen the director's cut of Blade Runner, and I found it slow and drab. Which version of the movie should make me a fan?

Kadayi
20-08-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm ambivalent about this. I'm a huge BR fan and have been for years. However saying that, the film is of its time (in the same way that Alien was) and there is something quaint about the future envisaged in that first film that I don't think would necessarily translate that well to any prequels/sequels when it comes to modern audiences beyond those who are already fans. The technology of the future imagined then, is very little like the technology of the now (no mobile phones, laptops, internet, CCTV etc, etc) and it would probably be hard to couch that differential to a new movie going audience.

The alternative is to re-imagine BR, building off today's technology to generate a new future where in there are Replicants (which would be an exciting way to go) but might not live up to legacy issues.

I think a lot depends on how Prometheus does really. I'm hoping it's going to be a treat rather than a bust.