PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in making a game together?

Basherbash
24-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Hi guys, I've been an avid PC gamer for several years, and I feel like creating games would be an interesting job. I've modded a few games and poked around with programming and level design, but I'm not great at any one aspect of game creation.

Basically, I'm looking for people who want to further their skills in game development, by creating a game together. Nothing super advanced, maybe a simple platformer or an RTS, we can decide once we get a team together. If this comes together, then we would get some really good experience in working in a team, and seeing a project through to completion.

If you're interested, contact me at stephen1341@gmail.com

Thanks!

The Innocent
25-08-2011, 02:52 AM
What skills are you looking for? Artists, programmers, musicians, level designers? Or are you wanting pretty much everything?

Basherbash
25-08-2011, 03:26 AM
Yeah, like I said, the main goal here is not making a game, but bettering our skills BY making a game. So I'll accept anything, I'm a pretty horrible artist though, so that sure would be helpful ;D

All I ask is that each person is mature. I'm not going to work with people who won't cooperate with eachother.

sinister agent
25-08-2011, 03:51 AM
My technical skills are woeful, however if you want a writer, I can do both adjectives and verbs. Nouns are a possibility, but I can't promise vole.

Basherbash
26-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Hmm, I don't think we will need a dedicated writer, since we're going to be focusing on just making a simple game.

icupnimpn2
26-08-2011, 03:50 AM
do you need a pharmacist for anything

Basherbash
26-08-2011, 04:29 AM
That's exactly what we need! You're hired!

BobsLawnService
26-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Which language are you going to use? C# XNA? C++?

Xercies
26-08-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm a 3D modeller and would be quite interested, maybe level design or something

Basherbash
26-08-2011, 03:26 PM
The language depends on how what our programmers want, probably C++ though, since I have limited skill in that. You're welcome to join us, Xercies! Emailing me is the best way to let me know if you want to join.

icupnimpn2
26-08-2011, 05:40 PM
That's exactly what we need! You're hired!

Ha-cha-cha-chaaaaaaa!

Drake Sigar
26-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Phew. I totally misread the title as ‘Anyone interested in making gay sex together?’ But you can see how that can happen, right? All you have to do is take out the ‘game’ part and replace it with two completely unrelated words that sound nothing alike.

Joseph
27-08-2011, 12:25 AM
I would be interested if my skills were anything beyond Visual Basic, but that's why I'm off to university this year. Maybe some other time

Basherbash
27-08-2011, 06:14 AM
We still need people with art or programming skills.

icupnimpn2
27-08-2011, 02:38 PM
I think artists are the last you need. Use placeholders, get a prototype running, then recruit artists or commission someone. So long as we're not going commercial right off the bat, there are a number of community sprite packs or free 3d models out there that could be used to get something up and running. Especially since we don't know what kind of game we're making yet. Heck, you can even use some commercial sprite rips as a start.

An artist's input right now could run us off the rails if they have too grandiose of a vision or could force us into making a specific game type depending on what they prefer to draw. Plus projects tend to fizzle out when an artist leaves and only a portion of the assets are done.

Think like the basement developers of yesteryear and choose a project with a scope that you would be able to see through to at least some minimal level of completion on your own, in case everyone else jumps ship. Simple game, simple graphics, code you understand. Get that somewhere good and use it as a recruiting tool when starting the next project or making a sequel.

S'my recommendations as team pharmacist.

DWZippy
27-08-2011, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't mind helping out. I've not got much experience [if any] in making a game, but I've played lots of games, so I know what's fun, and I wouldn't mind having a crack at something.

Xercies
27-08-2011, 07:11 PM
I would say have an idea first because its all well and good just creating random elements for a possible game then find out later on you need to completly change them. Definitly know at least the genre you wan to go for or the game machanic

Basherbash
28-08-2011, 03:51 AM
@icupnimpn2 I agree with what you're saying, but I think you're confused about the point of this project. I'm not shooting for some amazing, 3d, genre-shattering, PC game. I'm mostly just going for a very simple game that we can use to build our skills. I'm not looking for an artist to create an entire world for us. Just someone who is willing to create some sprites and textures. I agree that we don't even need to think about art right now. Since we haven't even decided what kind of game we want, but it isn't a bad idea to have an artist on-call.

@Xercies Yes.

Also, I've only had two people actually email me about joining. If you want to join the team, then please email me and tell me what your skills are.