PDA

View Full Version : Android games

ChainsawHands
25-08-2011, 09:32 AM
I finally got myself an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S II), so I come now to the good people of RPS with a question: what games should I get for it?

mlaskus
25-08-2011, 10:43 AM
OpenTyrian (http://www.appbrain.com/app/opentyrian/com.googlecode.opentyrian) is my favourite, it's an old PC game that got ported to Android and plays surprisingly well on small screens, even if you don't have buttons and have to use on screen controls. It's a great SHMUP with tons of content and a totally bonkers campaign.

Jorum
25-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Depends what kind of thing you like.
For free stuff:
There is a (simplified) rogue-like called Dweller which isn't too bad.
If you like tower-defence (not my kind of thing) there is one called Grave defence HD which seems good.
Inotia is a JRPG that looks polished. Zenonia is more of the JRPG stuff but not free.

There is also Minecraft Pocket Edition which I haven't tried yet but have heard good things. Depends on screen size as well I would imagine.

Kaira-
25-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Haven't bothered to boot my phone to Android in ages, but I enjoyed Game Dev Story. Addicting one, that is.

ChainsawHands
26-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out.

d32
29-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Haven't bothered to boot my phone to Android in ages, but I enjoyed Game Dev Story. Addicting one, that is.
So, what do you boot your phone into instead?

(also, +1 on Game Dev Story)

Kaira-
29-08-2011, 10:02 PM
So, what do you boot your phone into instead?

(also, +1 on Game Dev Story)

Maemo. I'll be darned if it isn't the best mobile OS I've ever used. And also one of the most dead ones, sadly.

annefoster
19-12-2011, 08:20 AM
I guess OpenTyrian is everybody's favorite! In fact, I love it too! Nowadays, games are accessible in our phones through applications. Indeed, revolutionized gaming has been born! One of the greatest aspects of the modern mobile phone is the ability to play games, and not just any games. I suddenly remember the unique idea of gaming application. Have you heard about this WowWee Appcessories games? To give you the gist about it, the physical world will be getting to link to games. Isn't that great? Thanks to toy producer WowWee! People might really like the brand new idea. See this link guys: http://www.appisaurus.com/1691-wowwee-toys/. That will supplement you with sufficient information about the gaming application.

Vexing Vision
19-12-2011, 10:02 AM

It's the only game I ever bought and likely ever will buy on the Android market.

It's hilariously addicting for such simplistic mechanics, but making Online Dating Simulations the world's top sellers on the DateBoy, self-created console, simply fills me with juvenile giggles every time.

Rakysh
19-12-2011, 10:51 AM
The Impossible Game is a fun platformy type thing.

Kamikaze-X
19-12-2011, 12:47 PM
you would be silly to not buy GTA3.

Its actually very good and runs flawlessly.

theyouthexpress
22-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Angry bird is the best game for fun...I am also play this game in ma new android phone..try it..

Online Magazines (http://theyouthexpress.com/)

luckystar01
22-12-2011, 12:36 PM
You can also visit samsunggalaxysforums.com/showthread.php/6650-All-HD-Games-for-galaxy-s2? for all the games..

tomeoftom
24-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Get DroidEmu to emulate Game Boy Advance, SNES etc. and play Advance Wars 1+2. Brilliant, brillliant games.

tomeoftom
01-01-2012, 06:26 AM
GTA 3 just came out for dual-core Androids. It runs great and it's amazing being able to beat up pedestrians with a baseball bat in glorious 3D while sitting through wedding reception speeches.

EDIT: whoops, must have come out a while ago then

frightlever
06-01-2012, 11:38 AM
I picked up a bunch of games when Google was having their 10p sale. I didn't enjoy it much on PC but Majesty on Android has been quite fun so far.

Oh, I also played Game Dev Story like one of Pavlov's dogs in a Skinner box until I had to delete it to get my free time back.

Heliocentric
06-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Get the Amazon app store and give an invalid but mathematically plausible credit card number(check wikipedia for details) and get a free app every day, the false card details avoid pocket purchases as it's 2 touch buying.

Xune
07-01-2012, 06:40 AM
I'd recommend Radiant and EVAC by Hexage. Radiant is a Gallagaesque scrolling alien shooter while EVAC is an interesting spin on the mechanics of Pac-Man. I've also sunk a few hours into Robo Defense, a thoroughly enjoyable tower defense game.

+1 for Game Dev Story but beware, it can be a ravenous time eating beast if you let it.

Pseudo310
08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I've been playing Game Dev Story, Tiny Tower, and Robo Defense. Great thread, I've had a hard time finding Droid game recommendations.

Xune
20-01-2012, 11:22 PM
On my travels I came across this thread (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98997.msg2902084#msg2902084) over at Bay12. Some interesting stuff there including a Space Hulk Clone and a port of the infinity engine, allowing you to play Baldurs Gate or Planescape Torment for example. Worth checking out perhaps.

Amarth
21-01-2012, 01:36 AM
Some of my discoveries:

* 2 player reactor (4 player reactor for the paid version) is a fun multiplayer reaction/quizzy game. Needs a second player obviously.
* Pax Britannica (free) was ported to Android. Also fun to play with 2, but not much replay value IMO.
* Air Control / Angry Birds / Cut The Rope / Where's My Water / Great Little War Game / Game Dev Story / Battleheart are obvious recommendations. (various ad-supported/paid versions available, these are well-known games so google around to see if they're for you)
* Scrambled Net! Seriously, try this, it's an insanely fun little puzzle game, and free. Port of the KDE game KNetWalk.
* I've gone through a NetHack phase, but it's even more fiddly on your phone, so it might not be for everyone. Obviously free.
* robotfindskitten (free) if you want to impress the weirder amongst your friends.
* Battle for Wesnoth has a decent port and is an awesome game by itself. Free version only has the tutorial.
* Xenowar maybe if you're into the XCOM thing. It's slightly dumbed down but definitely not too much. Not free.

I think you can handle yourself for a few months with these..

nsane
21-01-2012, 04:12 AM
I can recommend getting mainly emulators. There are tons of turn-based games or RPGs that can be perfectly played on any Android phone.

For normal releases, Puzzle Quest 2 (free!), Pocket Soccer League, Shadow Age (TGC) are my main non-casual picks.

tomeoftom
21-01-2012, 07:22 AM
I know it's popular (I think) but anyway, Apparatus is geniunely one of the most ingenious and well-executed puzzle games I've seen in a long time. It's an Incredible Machines-ish 2D physics sandbox/puzzler, with an amazing physics engine and two depth layers so you can make all kinds of amazing apparatus.

bayonetbrant
23-01-2012, 12:11 PM
if you're a fan of the tabletop game Dominion, there's a new update for Androminion (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mehtank.androminion&hl=en) that includes all of the releases up through Hinterlands, some new AI players, and a few nice interface tweaks.

Survey Dave
02-12-2013, 06:06 AM
My gf and I used to play a game called Family Farm. It's a cheesy farm strategy game but it's addictive.

polarity
09-12-2013, 03:15 AM
If you install the SCUMM VM, then you'll be able to play all the old point and click adventures, like Day of the Tentacle, Curse of Monkey Island, and Simon the Sorcerer.

BillButNotBen
09-12-2013, 09:18 AM
I notice Lords of Midnight is cheap right now https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chilli.midnight&hl=enDon't know if it's a permanent price drop or a sale. Just started playing Broken Sword, it seems pretty good on a Nexus 7.

Similar
13-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Game Dev Story is today's free app on Amazon.

Rath
13-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Mobile version of Sonic 2 has just been released with the lost level restored.