PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon keeper 2 Just arrived on Good old games!

karandraz
25-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Just thought id let you gents know if your interested, downloading it now myself :)

Lukasz
25-08-2011, 10:45 PM
apparently its a bit broken :(

squareking
25-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Ooh, always wanted to check it out. I think I've spent the most gaming hours in DK.

Drake Sigar
25-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Jackpot Winner!

Nalano
25-08-2011, 11:11 PM
One of your imps does a great impression of you. He can even do the ears!

Joseph
25-08-2011, 11:16 PM
I can already hear the little pitter-patter of feet :)

IDtenT
25-08-2011, 11:40 PM
I've owned this game so many time. :D

vinraith
26-08-2011, 02:08 AM
Played a ton of DK1 back in the day, totally missed 2. I'm hearing that this is pretty broken at the moment, any feedback on that? Once it's working (and I trust GOG will get it there) I'll definitely be picking it up.

Nalano
26-08-2011, 02:29 AM
regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Bullfrog Productions Ltd/Dungeon Keeper II/Configuration/Video

Screen Hardware3D = 0

goto shortcut

Compatibility -> Compatibility mode -> Windows 2000

Disable visual themes
Disable desktop composition
Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
Run this program as an administrator

vinraith
26-08-2011, 02:44 AM
@Nalano

Does that translate as: "the problems many people are having with the GOG version of DK2 can be solved with a bit of simple registry editing" ?

Nalano
26-08-2011, 02:57 AM
@Nalano

Does that translate as: "the problems many people are having with the GOG version of DK2 can be solved with a bit of simple registry editing" ?

I have half a dozen GoG games and they're pretty much all just the original version of the game plus DOSBox or a similar emulator. DK2 suffers from the same problem my GoG copy of I76 does (which was a mistake to buy, because it was the exact problem my CD copy of I76 had): It's a 3DFX issue. The game is in that annoying spot after DOS and before modern GPUs.

That registry edit just turns off hardware acceleration, and is what I use to play my original CD copy of DK2 on Win7 64.

Cooper
26-08-2011, 02:59 AM
Assuming GOG fix DK2 on contemporary PC systems:

DK2 is a better game than DK1.

DK1 is better at being Dungeon Keeper...

Horny is relgated to a 'spell' in DK2, which means that the most major complication in dungeon management is gone. Also, creatures are much, much easier to please.
A lot of people hated that dungeon management was so difficult, and creatrues so beyond your control I guess. I liked it like that though.

Combat is more varied than "drop everything and hope it works"...

Almost all of the creatures, good or otherwise, are humanoid. I really miss the odd creatures like tentacles, hellhounds and dragons...
It generally has less charm to its design.

Oh, and the imps don;t go "nah ha ha" when you create them *sadface*

But thos are just the gripes of a MASSIVE fan od DK1. DK2 is the better game, overall, I'd say. Looks better, plays better, provides more 'fun'...

So, dungeon management easier, combat and moving groups of creatures around easier. It makes for a better game, but it's not as DK as DK1...

BenWah
26-08-2011, 04:11 AM
dungeon keeper 2...

Now that was a seriously great game!!!!

Rinox
26-08-2011, 04:46 AM
The reaper is not an actual critter in DK2? Disappointed!

Matzerath
26-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Seems to me that Gog has been putting problematic games up for sale for some time now without proper fixes, and relying on the community to find a cure. They can work some magic with DOSBox, but when that's not involved they seem at a loss. Sometimes they use community fixes that are already available, or as can be seen by checking out the game forums, declare a problem 'fixed' when someone posts a workaround -- which is never formally implemented, just, you know, out there for those who are willing to tinker with init files and such.
I love that they make these great games available, but they aren't the miracle workers one would hope.

BenWah
26-08-2011, 06:40 AM
If the end result is dungeon keeper 2 working great under windows 7, I'd forgive them for a lot even if they end up relying on the user community a fair bit to get there.

I remember disappearing from civilization for a couple days while playing this.

Lukasz
26-08-2011, 11:34 AM
The reaper is not an actual critter in DK2? Disappointed!

it is critter you just summon him.

Rinox
26-08-2011, 12:07 PM
it is critter you just summon him.

Ah! So you just have him around and try to seperate him from the rest of your creatures, constantly micromanaging his loco? Like in DK1? From the summoning I thought that you'd just summon and unsummon him when you felt like it, which sounds distinctly less fun. And messy. ;-)

Nalano
26-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Ah! So you just have him around and try to seperate him from the rest of your creatures, constantly micromanaging his loco? Like in DK1? From the summoning I thought that you'd just summon and unsummon him when you felt like it, which sounds distinctly less fun. And messy. ;-)

He takes a shitload of mana - leading to a very limited amount of time you can have him with you - and gets angry at everything, including not fighting.

Rinox
26-08-2011, 02:15 PM
and gets angry at everything, including not fighting.

Well, at least that hasn't changed then! :-)

Cooper
26-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Ah! So you just have him around and try to seperate him from the rest of your creatures, constantly micromanaging his loco? Like in DK1? From the summoning I thought that you'd just summon and unsummon him when you felt like it, which sounds distinctly less fun. And messy. ;-)No, not at all.

You summon him, draining a huge amount of mana per second whilst he stomps around. As he stomps around he attacks any goodies in his sight. No goodies in his sight and he'll take a pop at your creatures. But you can get rid of him immediately by slapping him.

So, no, nothing like the original and no threat to your own dungeon at all...

squareking
26-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Oh. That doesn't sound much like DK1 at all. :( The stuff they changed is the stuff I loved.

whyymolyneuxwhyy.avi

Wooly Wugga Wugga
11-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Hi any advice for getting this up and running on Windows 7 in some sort of widescreen mode?

QuantaCat
11-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Oh. That doesn't sound much like DK1 at all. :( The stuff they changed is the stuff I loved.

whyymolyneuxwhyy.avi

Peter wasnt at bullfrog anymore when DK2 was made, I think.

Drinking with Skeletons
13-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Burn baby, burn,
Disco Inferno!
Burn baby, burn
Burn the mother down!

Nalano
13-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi any advice for getting this up and running on Windows 7 in some sort of widescreen mode?

Here. 10char

regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Bullfrog Productions Ltd/Dungeon Keeper II/Configuration/Video

Screen Hardware3D = 0

goto shortcut

Compatibility -> Compatibility mode -> Windows 2000

Disable visual themes
Disable desktop composition
Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
Run this program as an administrator

You can also manually set the resolution from the registry in the same directory.