PDA

View Full Version : The Rock Paper Scotland Thread

thegooseking
26-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Right, yes, let's try this again, shall we? I started a thread in the old forums just before they closed down, and never got round to putting one in the new forums. So that is a thing. This should rectify that.

We have a Steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rockpaperscotland) although we haven't done much with it. But if you want in on that, then befriend me (http://steamcommunity.com/id/thegooseking). Maybe also send me a message saying you want into Rock Paper Scotland, as up to now I've been using my powers of investigation to check whether people who friend me on Steam are related to some other RPS group and list somewhere Scottish as their location.

So I guess if Scottishers want to arrange anything like meetups and stuff, this is where to do it. Not much has happened so far and that's partly my fault for being so busy, but I only intended to start this thing up. You don't need my permission to organise anything.

LowKey
27-08-2011, 11:26 AM
as a new arrival to this bonnie land I would certainly like to be involved in any scottish twinged rps shenanigans, have added you on steam

thegooseking
17-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Any roleplayers in Rock Paper Scotland (particularly in Edinburgh)?

Can I direct you to http://www.orcedinburgh.co.uk/forum/ConventionsEvents/11830-%28Possible%29-Workshop-on-RP-Narrative-Responsibility? I think this could be a really interesting event. And help me with my PhD. But I haven't organised it yet; I want some input on how to make it worthwhile for roleplayers and not just academics first.

LowKey
17-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Hey goose, i have both a bit of experience with rpgs and am an Edinburgh resident, unfortunately that page requires registration to view, ill sign up and take a look tonight, could you give me the gist?

thegooseking
17-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Oh, I didn't realise it requires registration. Boo.

Anyway, my PhD is about trying to bring some dramatic structure to autonomous character actions in interactive digital stories, and I'm thinking of organising some kind of workshop investigating how this can be managed in roleplaying to inform my work. But it would be good if the workshop can be useful to the roleplaying community and not just the academic field of interactive storytelling.

Ian
18-12-2012, 05:23 PM
I take it given this thread died at five posts that this never really happened as A Thing? Us Rock Paper Scottishers aren't very good at this.

LowKey
18-12-2012, 06:28 PM
We are the bold and the few :)

LowKey
18-12-2012, 09:57 PM
To be more helpful, I guess RPS'ers in scotland are probably pretty dispersed but I would always be happy to organise a thing if there was an interest, otherwise I am always up for a drink in Edinburgh/Glasgow area and frequently attend nights at the Edinburgh boardgame cafe with people from BGG if anyone is interested in that sort of thing -

http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/993

Ian
19-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Well I've never done much/any boardgaming of the sort liable to be done there but something drink-based would definitely be a winner.

Simmura McCrea
19-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Och aye the noo. I'm in Dundee. I'm not much of a boardgamer, but drinks are always good.

Jams O'Donnell
19-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Edinburgh boardgame cafe!? That's a thing that exists?

riadsala
19-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Edinburgh boardgame cafe!? That's a thing that exists?

yeah. it's ok... cheap and as an amazing selection of board games to play. But you mainly have to play in the basement. the air isn't always so pleasant! And it can be tricky to find enough space... the folk playing tabletop tend to take up a lot of space. Still, a neat idea and I hope it does well. The other place to check out is Black Lion: role playing/board game shop. In my experience, everybody who works there is really nice, and they're more than happy for you to wander in, browse, chat for a while, and leave without buying anything.

LowKey
19-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Aye thats all true, we used to use a pub but got sick of drunk people asking what we were doing, i would add that while it is a basement it is bright and fairly roomy

ross_angus
30-12-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm not really one for board games (don't get me wrong - I read Brother Florance's column with religious fervour). Is there anyone out there who's within traveling distance of Edinburgh, and wants to meet up for a chin-wag? I'm thinking like a book group, but for 'puter games. Is this a crazy idea?

Bilbo1981
31-12-2012, 04:27 PM
maybe you could use a better name like:

Rock Paper Haggis

or

Rock paper Braveheart :)

mpk
31-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Hoots mon and aw that shite.

I'm stuck in sunny Perth, having emigrated from The Weeg. I no longer need a translator.

Ian
08-01-2013, 04:49 PM
maybe you could use a better name like:

Rock Paper Haggis

or

Rock paper Braveheart :)

Rock Paper Claymore, clearly.

I'm thinking like a book group, but for 'puter games. Is this a crazy idea?

I've never been to any of the meet-o-chats but I'd assume they're all a bit like this. Plus beer, of course.

LowKey
08-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Maybe Rock Paper Shillelagh? Maybe a bit Irish though, the current name is certainly more informative :)

I live centrally in the 'burgh and would certainly be up for a drink and chat.

ross_angus
11-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Yay! to Ian and LowKey's suggestion!

Venue? Alas, that place on Broughton street which did networked gaming is long gone. I've not got Disho(u)nored, but I understand it was inspired by Our Silly Little City. Can anyone who's played it suggest somewhere? I imagine Bannerman's might be a good fit, visually:

http://goo.gl/maps/AAcdN

(perhaps I'm over-thinking this)

ChainsawHands
17-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Posted this over here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?9439-Rab-Kieron-and-Aliens-18-2-13), which may not be the best place on reflection - is anyone else going to see Rab, Kieron and Tom Bramwell review Aliens: Colonial Marines before showing Aliens (at the GFT on the 18th of February)?

LowKey
17-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Man id love to but a monday at that time its a wee bit awkward from edinburgh, driving is an option but the lack of beer is disheartening

Ian
18-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Oh my, that could be tempting. I shall further discuss in that thread.

Jams O'Donnell
18-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Yeah -- the Mondayness kills this for me, sadly. I don't want to be getting home past midnight o'clock.

laserbream
18-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Ahoy - I live in Scotlandland (near Dumbarton) and am trying to be less of a shut-in. I am an englishman though. I could maybe wear a bag over my head and not talk?

ChainsawHands
18-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Ahoy - I live in Scotlandland (near Dumbarton) and am trying to be less of a shut-in. I am an englishman though. I could maybe wear a bag over my head and not talk?Acceptable.

Ian
22-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Ahoy - I live in Scotlandland (near Dumbarton) and am trying to be less of a shut-in. I am an englishman though. I could maybe wear a bag over my head and not talk?

I'm half-English and I haven't been chased by even a small torch-wielding mob once so I reckon you're fine. :)

laserbream
23-01-2013, 10:18 AM
No mobs? In that case, I've wasted a lot of money on ginger hair dye.

ChainsawHands
23-01-2013, 11:06 AM
OK, so the plan (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?9439-Rab-Kieron-and-Aliens-18-2-13&p=248669&viewfull=1#post248669) is to meet at Budda on Sauchiehall Street from about 6pm. Any other discussion about this should probably be moved to that thread for sanity...

Safilpope
24-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Ahoy! I'm from Scotlandshire too, is this still a thing?

I may be tempted to join any group going once I'm settled into my college routine

QuantaCat
30-09-2013, 09:32 AM
are these meetings really happening? Then I see no reason not to sticky this.