PDA

View Full Version : Phones in the UK & Google plus ??

BillButNotBen
28-08-2011, 08:22 AM
I'll combine these two random questions into one thread so as to annoy as few people as possible. ;-)

1 - Since a lot of people from the UK hang out here, does anyone know a good, trustworthy place to buy used/unlocked smartphones? Preferably a website. I'm not convinced about buying one from amazon/ebay incase it turns out dodgy.

2 - Anyone using google plus? Kinda feels like i'm the only one not on it at times. No one i know is using it, but i kind of want to check it out. I heard you need to make your full name public though.. not sure about that bit..

Tei
28-08-2011, 08:56 AM
I was in Google+ some time. But for me anonymity is a big time, so wen Google show his cards, and actually was banning people for using pseudonames, I removed the profile, and I am still running away scared. I think anonimity is the most basic protection you must have on the internet. I think parents and schools sould teach childrens to be anonymous on the internet. That Google force people to give his name is.... wtf... just stupid and unsafe.

Heliocentric
28-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Almost all phones (not iPhones) from "carphone warehouse" are unlocked by default. Why do you need an unlocked phone? I avoid Google+ like the plague because not only do I not need anymore Facebook but my Google account is critical to me, opening a paper trail up that would help people learn about my personal details.

BillButNotBen
28-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Long story.. but basically i need one that'll work in two countries, so I need to buy one (rather than get one on a long contract deal) and then stick various sims in it.
I've figured out the sims part (giffgaff and bmobile), but the phone part is more tricky. Unlocked phones are almost non-existent in japan.

BillButNotBen
06-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the rec on carphone warehouse... i managed to pick up a good deal on an unlocked phone.
Carphone warehouse's customer support was pretty good too, but the delivery company was horrendous (Yodel). I guess i've gotten used to decent delivery companies.

After i bought one at carphone warehouse I also descovered that expansys seem to have reasonable unlocked phones and loads of international stores.. so i'll bear them in mind for the future.

Xercies
07-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Eh I can't really be bothered with Google +, unless there is a mass exodus of my friends on Facebook to there I can't really see myself using it even though it has some really nice features on it.

Shark
07-10-2011, 06:18 PM
I would love to use G+ because it seems to already be better than facebook, but I have a total number of one (1) friend who's on there