PDA

View Full Version : Dominions 3

Pages : [1] 2

Vexing Vision
07-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Posting this is a mistake, because I can't set up a server and I'm probably overcommitting, time-wise.

I'm in the mood for a nice, slow-paced round of Dominions 3. One turn per week (maybe more at the initial start up). 5-6 players, small random map, which means it will last around 50 turns before a winner can be determined, which makes it a year.

Hosting would happen on a single day each week. No excuses, no delays, anyone (including me) not submitting a turn on that week gets an empty order instead. Maybe nominate an Adjutant (like the ever present President Weasel does for Blood Bowl) to submit turns in case of holidays.

Any takers? For a small random map setting, I would prefer Early Age, Indie Strength 6 and normal everything else, no mods, all nations allowed. But this is open to discussion. :)

riadsala
07-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Posting this is a mistake, because I can't set up a server and I'm probably overcommitting, time-wise.

I'm in the mood for a nice, slow-paced round of Dominions 3. One turn per week (maybe more at the initial start up). 5-6 players, small random map, which means it will last around 50 turns before a winner can be determined, which makes it a year.

Hosting would happen on a single day each week. No excuses, no delays, anyone (including me) not submitting a turn on that week gets an empty order instead. Maybe nominate an Adjutant (like the ever present President Weasel does for Blood Bowl) to submit turns in case of holidays.

Any takers? For a small random map setting, I would prefer Early Age, Indie Strength 6 and normal everything else, no mods, all nations allowed. But this is open to discussion. :)

Would it not make more sense to try and set up a server somewhere which would be active all week long? That way everybody has more flexibility about taking their turns.

Vexing Vision
07-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Oh, I was going to handle it traditionally with Drop Box. Of course you can take the turn whenever you want during the week, but at (for example) Thursday evening, 22:00 GMT, the turn gets resolved.

Alternatively, if anyone has access to a hosting server, I'd love to use that. (I know there used to be some for Dom3, but I haven't had a multiplayer Dominions match in ages.)

riadsala
07-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Oh, I was going to handle it traditionally with Drop Box. Of course you can take the turn whenever you want during the week, but at (for example) Thursday evening, 22:00 GMT, the turn gets resolved.

Alternatively, if anyone has access to a hosting server, I'd love to use that. (I know there used to be some for Dom3, but I haven't had a multiplayer Dominions match in ages.)

Hmm. Well, don't ask me. I don't actually own the game... it's on the list of games I keep thinking about buying and playing, buy never quite get round to it. If this game is going to be newbie friendly, I might go check and see how expensive the game is these days. (I'm guessing it's still as expensive as ever).

Vexing Vision
07-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Hmm. Well, don't ask me. I don't actually own the game... it's on the list of games I keep thinking about buying and playing, buy never quite get round to it. If this game is going to be newbie friendly, I might go check and see how expensive the game is these days. (I'm guessing it's still as expensive as ever).

Short games tend to be newbie friendly - it's the long games that become a complex nightmare with wacky spell- and army-combinations. I'm more than happy to provide basic strategy and mechanic advice - I think I taught Dominions to at least 10 people who then proceeded to beat me soundly.

There was a sale on the game recently, but I admit it's still one of the most expensive strategy titles out there. Still worth it though, in my opinion. You can always check out the demo.

riadsala
07-09-2011, 11:27 AM
I checked out the demo a year or two ago. Very nearly bought the game too, but that was when it was only available via mail order. I've been holding off since on the (possibly mistaken) assumption that the publishers will realise that deep discounting of a very old game might make them a fair bit of money. And I don't want to spend $50 on a game only to find out that it's reduced to $10 the following month.

I might just give in and buy it though.

J.B.
07-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Hmm. When riadsala messaged me about there being a Dom3 game starting up I thought I'd give it a miss due to general busy-ness at the moment. However, if it's going to be a turn a week, count me in! Are we picking nations now or waiting until we have a full group? I'm a newb myself, played a couple of early age games against AI but not against humans.

(PS - VV, I've added you on Steam, I'm digital_pariah).

Vexing Vision
07-09-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm open to suggestions. As I said, I'd prefer Early Age - the military advantage of some Middle Age or Late Age nations can be a killer on small random maps.

Let's see if we get two or three more people and see what happens - if you do have a very strong national preference, go ahead and post.

Mhmm, tempted to pick a suicide Oceania. Small Random maps probably means I'll sit in the lone puddle on the entire map. But the sirens are so much fun!

The Innocent
07-09-2011, 07:36 PM
I'd love to get in on this, if that's alright. I don't mind which team I am, so others can take their pick.

Just an offer: I can host if you'd like, since I host 2-3 games of Dom3 at any given time. Although I don't have a server set up, I do have a system set up for timed games with a strict host-time. If you want to do it yourself though, that's fine with me. =)

Also, you might message Gandalf Parker. His server setup is extremely easy to use, and he's helped me with a couple timed-host games in the past. He generally does a 24-hour auto-host, but he told me that he can make custom host times. His site is here (http://www.dom3minions.com/)and he can also be reached on the Shrapnel forums. Very nice guy.

Vexing Vision
08-09-2011, 11:29 AM
I'd be deliriously happy to have someone more reliable than me host. :)

Gandalf Parker is indeed a genius and a lovable guy, but the Shrapnelcrowd outstrips my own abilities SO FAR that I don't even dare to game with them anymore. A turn 15 defeat continues to be embarassing.

riadsala
08-09-2011, 11:52 AM
My resolve is starting to weaken...

The Innocent
08-09-2011, 04:28 PM
@Vexing Vision

Yeah, those Shrapnel folks are intense. I'd be happy to host if you like.

@riadsala

Why?

The group I play with has always avoided strategy guides and forum posts about the game so as to not spoil it, since at the higher levels it's largely a numbers game and it could lose some of its fun and mystery. So while it's my favorite PBEM game, I'm not actually very good at it. I know the game's systems, but I don't know the thousand little tricks that the Shrapnel fellas use on a per-game basis.

EDIT: JB clarified for me. Yes, I'm apparently obtuse. Resolve, weaken away!

darkweeble
09-09-2011, 02:54 AM
I'm super interested in the game as it appears to have everything I'm looking for, but I just moved and purchased a new couch so I'm totally broke (although extremely comfortable!) I'll be keeping an eye on you folks in the event that I scrape some cash together.

Zyrden
09-09-2011, 04:00 AM
Hmmm, I really like the game, but I'm rather new to it. I actually lost the first 2 games I played against the AI T~T
If you don't mind having potentially clueless players, I'd like to participate.

riadsala
09-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Ok, I think I'll have to jump in if there are going to be some other novice players. It's now or never I suppose.

Vexing Vision
09-09-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm the same - I don't do number crunching, because Dominions STILL keeps me in its spell of mystery and so much atmosphere. I'll always play style over substance. :D

Looks like we have a good crowd! Let's see if we can get something started next week, as I have a wife's birthday to take care of this weekend.

desvergeh
09-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Hmmm this looks like a pretty interesting game, but not sure I can justify the cost or time (already involved in FS, BB, SI, and WoW). Is it worth the steep price? And how long would it take to process the weekly turns?

J.B.
09-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Is it worth the steep price?

Well that will be a matter for you to decide on. The demo is well worth a look to help with that though.

Nullkigan
09-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Hmmm this looks like a pretty interesting game, but not sure I can justify the cost or time (already involved in FS, BB, SI, and WoW). Is it worth the steep price? And how long would it take to process the weekly turns?

From the AARs I've read, a medium-high level multiplayer game can have each turn can take over an hour. The first thirty or so will be a few minutes - it'll take you a while to have enough troops, commanders and spells to need to finesse anything. Things get considerably longer if you're facing a crucial battle and need to look up your opponent's strengths, test your setups and perfect your scripts.

Dominions is a game I love to read about, but can never justify buying for myself. It's a 55 dollar boardgame that you need 6 to 8 copies of to make fun, and you can't guarentee anyone you know will like it. If it was a fiver I'd probably be handing out copies to everyone I knew.

J.B.
09-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Ok, I've had a think, I'd like to play as Marverni. Looking forward to getting this going =)

desvergeh
09-09-2011, 03:32 PM
From the AARs I've read, a medium-high level multiplayer game can have each turn can take over an hour. The first thirty or so will be a few minutes - it'll take you a while to have enough troops, commanders and spells to need to finesse anything. Things get considerably longer if you're facing a crucial battle and need to look up your opponent's strengths, test your setups and perfect your scripts.

Dominions is a game I love to read about, but can never justify buying for myself. It's a 55 dollar boardgame that you need 6 to 8 copies of to make fun, and you can't guarentee anyone you know will like it. If it was a fiver I'd probably be handing out copies to everyone I knew.

Think I will just leave this one be for the time being. As you say if it were inexpensive I would go for it, but I have enough games ongoing that I can't really justify the price-tag on something I will only rarely play.

Maybe I will reconsider after trying the demo.

Good luck in the game guys.

The Innocent
09-09-2011, 04:51 PM
That's too bad. Of all the games I own, Dom3 is the game I've received the most use out of. It's helped me keep in touch with old friends, and we have 2-3 games ongoing at any given time. But I understand completely. It sounds intimidating and the price is breathtaking (I think because it's still Shrapnel Games' bestseller). For what it's worth, I don't find it quite so complicated as Nullkigan made it sound, at least at the level the folks here like to play it at.

But no worries! Hope you try the demo, as it's pretty good.

The Innocent
09-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Well, according to what Vexing Vision outlined, it sounds like we have enough to start next week. We could have one more.

1- Vexing Vision (claimed Oceania)
2- J.B. (claimed Marverni)
3- The Innocent (claimed Lanka)
4- Zyrden (claimed Sauromatia)
5- riadsala

riadsala
09-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Ok. I have taken the plunge.

My my my, it's been a while since i spent so much on a game.

J.B.
09-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Ok. I have taken the plunge.

My my my, it's been a while since i spent so much on a game.

My condolences to your wallet. /salute

J.B.
10-09-2011, 07:23 PM
So, no more takers as yet? There's still time...

The Innocent
10-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Yep, we've definitely got room for one or two more. If you're afraid of taking the last spot... Don't be!

I'm going to claim Lanka, because I've never played them in a multi game. Editing my previous post to reflect this.

J.B.
10-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Gah! Devilmonkeys! Aiiiiiiiiiii!!!

Zyrden
10-09-2011, 10:29 PM
I'll take Sauromatia.

MasterBoo
12-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I really bashing my mind here if to buy it or not. I know the game and played it on a not-so-close-friend pc before and enjoyed it. Yet I'm afraid that 60$ for a game like this is a silly price.

riadsala
12-09-2011, 09:14 AM
can anybody recommend a good overview of the nations?

Vexing Vision
12-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Alright! Back from a rather exhausting holiday.

Innocent, I'd be more than happy if you could host. I'll post up a summary of EA nations and which ones are suitable for less experienced players tonight, here in this very thread.

The Innocent
12-09-2011, 07:29 PM
@ Vexing Vision

Sure thing, I'll get it set up.

What day do we think would be good to start? I was thinking Thursday, as it gives some folks a few more days to pick a team and do a practice solo game. But whichever day people want, I'm fine with.

@ MasterBoo

I know exactly how you feel. It's a beastly price. For what it's worth, I think it's the best value for a game that I've paid in years. Of course, that might not be worth much. =D

Vexing Vision
12-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Alright!

Welcome to Vex' Voracious adVice vor neVbies.

There's a lot of versatility to each individual nation, but basically, your first choice is:

a) Do I want to throw fireballs at people?
b) Do I want to crush my enemies and drive them before me with the power of steel?
c) Do I want to sneak around and try to play clever only to be butchered because I forgot my entire army fled?
d) Do I want to sit underwater and just wait for the game to be over, secure in the knowledge that while I can't make landfall, most nations can't bother me under water? (That's my option this game!)
e) Do I want to field Regenerating Paladins with Flaming Deathblow Weapons and screw my economy?

Arcoscephale is an excellent beginner nation. Very greek, good troops, very useful mages. a, b and e are all very valid strategies.

Ermor is another excellent beginner nation. Your legions in Early Age are quite powerful and cheap to field, and the death magic of your priests and mages is very useful to summon up some additional troops on the battlefield. Also, Valkyries make e) the hottest thing ever.

Ulm is tricky to play in Early Age (and dead easy in Medium), because you only have a few troops that realized that bare chest = ouch. Earth Magic makes some interesting combat spells after a couple of turns though, that's excellent against light and medium armored troops.

Marverni is just like Ulm. Bare chest = manly = ouch an arrow. Easy access to nature magic makes sure your troops don't starve as easily though, if you can field enough of them. And nature summons are quite nice and cheap.

Sauromatia consists of scary, fast and lightly-armored dinosaur cavalry. If they hit you, it hurts big. If you hit them, they're dead. Fun, but tricky.

T'ien Ch'i has excellent troops (especially archers and cavalry archers) which are tricky to deploy for beginners. However, they have the strongest national summons. If magic and faith are your thing, that's T'ien Ch'i but you need a few turns to get things going.

Don't play Mictlan unless you know what you're doing. And if you know what you're doing, you're not playing Mictlan in the first place.

Abysia is a very easy nation of fiery half-demon things. So you don't have any archers, but your fireball lobbing mages make up for that, and your infantry is the heaviest around.

Caelum is tricky. Great access to Air Magic which becomes incredibly powerful later in the game for damage spells. Flying troops tend to die amazingly quick though and need a bit of practice setting up. Potentially very powerful, but also very tricky.

C'tis has access to both nature and death while fielding tons of cheap troops. Very cool priests, but you need to resupply your troops all the time because the horde must die!

Pangaea allows you to sneak around. The cheap temples make it a moderately easy nation. Just rely on your high dominion and sneak around to catch undefended provinces unaware.

Agartha is a tricky nation. Your troops have a LOT of hitpoints. Unfortunately, they're also blind and can't hit a cavetroll. They're the perfect meatshields once you find other troops that actually do something. Easy once you get started, but tricky in the first few rounds.

Tir na n'Og + Fomoria - I actually never really played them. Good allrounders, if I remember correctly.

Vanheim, Helheim - excellent cavalry units that mirror image themselves and are pretty hard to kill. Slightly expensive. Best access to individual heroes if you want to forge some magical items and equip individual troops.

Niefelheim - all you need is Gold, some Gold and even more Gold. The Giant army is impressive in power and health, but the upkeep is so expensive! Make sure your dominion produces MUCH income.

Kailasa - if goblins were like apes, Kailasa would be a goblin-nation. That is all. Sticks and stones the apes keep throwing may hurt the manly Marverni or Ulm-warriors, but that's it.

Yomi - tricky nation. Your troops are very hard to kill... unless the opponent has any kind of priest. Which they will.

Atlantis, R'lyeh, Oceania - Underwater is your best friend. Atlanteans have access to nicely armored troops, R'lyeh blasts minds and Oceania is happiest in a full underwater map. They dry out fast outside the water.

Vexing Vision
12-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Gods, Dominions and Faith

The real trick begins once you selected your nation. Your pretender god is a lot more than a single unit.

There are four kinds of Gods:
a) Super Combatants - where early or later in the game, the God or Goddess goes out and starts killing enemy armies on its own, usually outfitted with a few nice items. Classic Super Combatants are the Vampire Queen, the Black or White Bull or the Colossus. Phoenix and Lich make interest Super Combatants with destructive late-game spells because they are immortal and reform at home when a soul sucking vortex of kill everything... killed everything.

b) Junkfood - putting no meaningful points into your pretender means you have a lot of points to spend on your dominion. Who needs a powerful God if your realm generates half a dozen magical items each turn, everyone is happy and productive, the treasury fills faster than you can look and the faith of your temple spreads to the farthest corners.

c) Rainbow Mages - Having access to a lot of different magics means that searching for magical sources and crafting magical items is very easy. You also generate a lot of research. Rainbow mages tend to become mostly line fodder in the end game though.

d) Faithful - having one line of magic being really high provides very powerful effects to all your sacred troops (once they're blessed). A high nature for example provides regeneration. Which means if your enemy doesn't kill your sacred troops with a blow, they just keep regenerating. Or a high Fire provides them with armor-piercing flaming weapons, which handily also kill magical beings.

Try to pick something that works out with the nation you had. If you have powerful priests and powerful sacred troops (Helheim, Arcoscephale, Atlantis, Niefelheim), you might want to consider going for d). Nations that require a lot of gold (Arcoscephale, Niefelheim, Abysia) should go for a Junkfood pretender - don't bother giving him more than a few points in a random magic you like the colour of, but crank up Order, Productivity and Growth!

Notice how I mentioned Niefelheim and Arcoscephale twice? It's that kind of game.

If you have any questions about any mechanics, shout me a PM or ask here. Let the games begin! On Thursday.

And yes, the prize of admission is worth it, if you like this kind of games.

Vexing Vision
12-09-2011, 09:56 PM
And finally:

I'd like to play Oceania. I have a fondness for underwater nations, but I have yet to win a landwar with anything but Late Age Atlantis.

The Innocent
13-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Great, Oceania is reserved for you then!

The current list is as follows:

1- Vexing Vision (claimed Oceania)
2- J.B. (claimed Marverni)
3- The Innocent (claimed Lanka)
4- Zyrden (claimed Sauromatia)
5- riadsala

We have room for one or two more, so if you're on the fence and you want in, just let us know!

We're doing this by Dropbox, so you'll need a Dropbox account, and I'll need you to PM me your email address associated with that account. Once I have all that in, I can send everyone a list of instructions much more easily through Dropbox.

riadsala
13-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Well, if Ermor are at good pick for beginners, and I'm a beginner, I'll pick Ermor.

MasterBoo
13-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Okay. Bought!

Which nation you recommend for a play style that involves a Super Combatant god?
Also can anyone reminds me what happens if your pretender dies in combat?

Are we playing with the 3.27 patch?

Vexing Vision
13-09-2011, 09:32 AM
If your God dies and is not immortal (Lich, Vampire Queen, Phoenix are all Immortal and reform automagically if slain within an area of friendly faith), you need to set your priests to reawaken him or her or it. Each priest contributes his priest levels (these come from 1 to 3, and in extreme cases even 4 or 5) per round. Once you reach 40, the god reforms - slightly weakened, you lose one skill from all magic pathes. This is lovely if you don't have any magic pathes to begin with. :)

Atlantis has access to the Wyrm, which is a nice super combatant that doesn't need much magic to buff itself and be a real terror. I think Helheim gets the Vampire Queen.

MasterBoo
13-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Is Helhim good for beginners? Didn't see it on the list :P.

I don't feel like playing a turtling underwater nation, so not sure I'll play Atlatnis.

What do you think about the Apes (Kailasa) and the Great White Bull as a pretender. I remember picking the bull as my first pretender when I tried the game a few years back, and really enjoyed stomping with him.

This game gives me a RP vibe, so I imagine my army of apes worshiping a mindless bull :P

Nullkigan
13-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Do EA Ermor have the freespawn? If so, that's a lot of work you're throwing at a newbie :)

From what I've read in other AARs, the Cyclops and Prince of Death are both excellent supercombatants and available to all nations.

riadsala
13-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Do EA Ermor have the freespawn? If so, that's a lot of work you're throwing at a newbie :)

I don't know what freespawn is, but it's making me regret picking Ermor.

Nullkigan
13-09-2011, 10:00 AM
In LA Ermor generates large amounts of free but weak units, such that in later turns you would spend half your turn ordering them to the front.

Vexing Vision
13-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Ermor has a lovely history of somewhere in the Middle Age breaking the seal of death, and inadvertently turning their populace into zombies.

In Early Age, this hasn't happened yet, and they're still very much Roman Empire. With a slight fascination with death.

MasterBoo
13-09-2011, 10:09 AM
I think I'll play as the Kailasa. Apes POWER!

riadsala
13-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Is all the fluff burried in the manual? Or are there places i can go read up on it on the web?

Vexing Vision
13-09-2011, 10:32 AM
The fluff shows up when you pick a nation. You do get some nice fluff background, but some of it is mentioned in the description of units or even other nations.

It's a fun place to discover though.

riadsala
13-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm guessing one of the first choices for an Ermor pretender is whether blood magic is the in thing or not.

Vexing Vision
13-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Blood Magic is an amazing thing, but definitely not recommended for beginners - way too much micromanagement, and the chance of being eaten by one of your battlefield summons increases greatly.

riadsala
13-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Blood Magic is an amazing thing,

:-) ...............

but definitely not recommended for beginners

:(

- way too much micromanagement,

:'(

and the chance of being eaten by one of your battlefield summons increases greatly.

!

I may have to do it anyway.

Hmmm.

The Innocent
13-09-2011, 04:28 PM
I agree with VV, Blood Magic can be tremendous. It can also be dangerous, incredibly hard to balance with tax income, and at times can totally backfire. I wouldn't recommend it for a first-time player.

Ermor in the early era has incredibly diverse magic though (just look at your Augur Elder -- 2 fire, astral, 2 death, with 100% chance of gaining a random point of fire, astral, air, or death... wow). Ermor has mages that can cover every path but blood, so it usually isn't something they would need to pursue to be magically potent.

And hm... I'm thinking of changing my faction. Two ape factions might be a bit overkill in one game...

EDIT: After talking to J.B., I've decided to change my faction to Yomi.

Vexing Vision
13-09-2011, 09:27 PM
And thus, from the Eternal Well in the Pearled Palace on the bottom of the Ocean, springs forth Nerae, Queen of Eloquence, the Opener of Wells and Goddess of Animals (at least those that do not drown at said bottom of the Ocean).

May the pure waters rise and cleanse the dominion of man, so that the Tritons of the Amber Clan may rejoice and frolick in the waves of a new dawn.

(I do remain a fan of Dominion's naming system.)

The Innocent
13-09-2011, 11:39 PM
All factions are finalized. It's going to be a great match!

1. riasdala (Ermor, New Faith)
2. MasterBoo (Kailasa, Rise of the Ape Kings)
3. J.B. (Marverni, Time of Druids)
4. Vexing Vision (Oceania, Triton Kings)
5. Zyrden (Sauromatia, Amazon Queens)
6. The Innocent (Yomi, Oni Kings)

J.B.
14-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Bravo sir, bravo!

If only we had some sort of "like" feature for posts on here. Ah well, here, have a fistful of astral pearls. And some magic boots.

Really, excellent work. And also very usable if some/all of us are doing an AAR or something =)

The Innocent
14-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks J.B.! This is what I do while listening to German language primers to get ready for exams. I've now made one for every Early Era nation, which betrays just how dull I find German language primers. I made them with AARs in mind, so if anyone wants any faction (from the Early Era thus far), just let me know and I can put the file into Dropbox.

riadsala
14-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Great!

I'll be writing up the epic odyssey of my mistakes and tragedies on my new game-y AAR wordpress blog. Am happy to allow others access to post too. (there's currently nothing up there, but I've been writing draft posts for the SMAC and SI games I'm in).

How about we set ourselves an aim: to write and edit the AAR with such vigour and polish that we get a link on RPS's Sunday Papers? :p

MasterBoo
14-09-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm up to it, but how are we going to prevent from each other looking at the others' blog? :P

Also, any ETA for the start?

riadsala
14-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm up to it, but how are we going to prevent from each other looking at the others' blog? :P

Also, any ETA for the start?

Well, we first check if wordpress shares "draft posts" with other authors on the same site. Anybody know if this is the case or not?

Or people can just write stuff up in Word/googledocs, etc, then we compile things together once the game's done (or advanced enough that it doesn't matter revealing secret plans from turn 1!)

MasterBoo
14-09-2011, 12:56 PM
I think doing a "combined" diary in a single website is a good idea (usually people who read diaries only read a from the point of view of a single player and not bother with the rest).

riadsala
14-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I think doing a "combined" diary in a single website is a good idea (usually people who read diaries only read a from the point of view of a single player and not bother with the rest).

Well, I'm happy to use the blog I set up if people supply me with turn-write ups: one plost post per faction every (couple of) turns. I don't mind giving you all posting-privileges.

Of course, we are getting ahead of ourselves as the saga has yet to commence.

Vexing Vision
14-09-2011, 06:56 PM
I'll happily chip in on the occasional status report. Nerae is, after all, the Queen of Eloquence.

Can you get your Pretenders to Innocent's Dropboxfolder until Thursday so we can start?

The Innocent
14-09-2011, 07:21 PM
I've got everyone linked on Dropbox except one. Please put your email address (or just your game name if you don't want everyone having access to your email, though they will through DB anyway). Then yes, I'll need your pretender design.

It will be saved in dominions3/savedgames/newlords. It will be a file along the lines of early_ctis_0.2h

MasterBoo
15-09-2011, 07:49 AM
I sent you a PM with me my e-mail address. I'll put my pretender there once the folder is shared with me.

EDIT: Submitted!

J.B.
15-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Dropping my pretender (I mean, the one true GOD!) in the DB folder now.

The Innocent
15-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Great! So everyone is confirmed. I'll have everything set up in... maybe an hour. There will be instructions in the Dropbox for anyone unfamiliar with how this will work.

The Innocent
15-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Okay, so the instructions are up as is the Turn 0 folder! The game is on!

Just a warning that the first turn or two of Dom3 has a tendency to be very glitchy. If you have a problem, just contact me here, by email, or on Steam, and I'll work it out.

Good luck, fellow pretenders!

Zyrden
16-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Seems like it'll go a lot faster than a week per turn at this rate. Also, in the instructions; 8. Prophet! Lulz
About the map, there's a large island to the west. It seems like you might be able to move troops across to the mainland via a land bridge above the lake at the bottom? Or would you need amphibious troops to get off the island?

MasterBoo
16-09-2011, 08:52 AM
I was playing a single player game with an aquatic nation, and encountered something I couldn't explain: I had an amphibious commander, commanding only amphibious troops, and yet I couldn't move him to a land province. Why?

Vexing Vision
16-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Sometimes (very rarely) in randomly generated maps, not all provinces are properly connected with each other. You can hit "8" to switch on connections, I definitely recommend it.

The two bridges down there are a land connection, and apart from having a vast amount of water to play with, which makes me happy, I rather like the map for its fun chokepoints.

Vexing Vision
16-09-2011, 02:55 PM
The currents protecting the Pearled Palace parted, allowing the mermen of Oceania to enter.

What news from the Queen?, the leader of the squadron asked the royal attendee when he joined the council in a hall of white sharkbone.

The nobles of the councils looked at him, and finally a merman clad in amber, bearing the insignias marking him a high noble at the court, replied. The Queen is silent in her mourning for what must be done. The heretics must be purged before they bring their darkness over both land and seas, for false Gods manipulate the minds of the weak.

The troop-leader nodded. I will pass the orders and summon the triton knights from their slumber.

On the tide of dawn, Oceania rides the waves to war.

The Innocent
16-09-2011, 04:57 PM
I think this random map should be great, but I probably shouldn't discuss why I chose it until the game is done (as the discussion would include considerations of strategic potential, which everyone should discover for themselves!).

So who all is taking notes for an after-action report?

Zyrden
16-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Notes + screens

MasterBoo
17-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Is there a way to save a screenshot of the game without having to paste it manually to a different program after each print-screen button press?

J.B.
17-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Is there a way to save a screenshot of the game without having to paste it manually to a different program after each print-screen button press?

FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com/)? That'll save the screenies to a folder. Though the free trial version only saves in .bmp I think.

ntw
17-09-2011, 11:18 AM

Running it under Steam?

MasterBoo
17-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Wrote an introduction post in my game diary:
http://riseofbullboo.blogspot.com/2011/09/rise-of.html

EDIT: No longer valid. I changed the URL.

MasterBoo
17-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Is the Ermor turn is missing from the Dropbox folder?

The Innocent
18-09-2011, 12:41 AM
I put it in and later it was removed, so I assume riadsala took it out.

(checks DB history)

Yep, he took it out. So he'll put in the .2h whenever he's done with his turn, I'm sure.

riadsala
18-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I put it in and later it was removed, so I assume riadsala took it out.

(checks DB history)

Yep, he took it out. So he'll put in the .2h whenever he's done with his turn, I'm sure.

Yep... on my list of things todo today.

I assume the 1-turn-per-week has changed into 1-turn-per-day in all the enthusiastic excitment!

Zyrden
18-09-2011, 11:07 AM
At least while it's new. I'm surprised at just how long every turn takes when you have to consider what to write about. I must have spent half of last turn alt-tabbing to take screens. I think I'll follow ntw's advice and try running it through steam next.

J.B.
18-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Oh, (pretender) gods! I haven't made a single note or taken a single screenie. I really meant to as well. Still, early days, I'll play catch-up next turn =)

Vexing Vision
18-09-2011, 01:18 PM
I love the first few turns in a new game of Dominions. So much to explore! Will I find the most awesome jade amazon tribe providing me with my favourite lizard-riding units to bolster my armies? What nefarious and dark magic sites are located next to my home province? Where do I get access to a neat death mage to start summoning some really fun rituals?

Questions, questions!

riadsala
18-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Questions, questions!

you get anwsers out of me. Our royal Emorian Emporer has helped himself to the finest Emorian wine and has lost all sense of a military campaign should be run. Already defeat faces us. To think that the city on the hill should come to this.

MasterBoo
18-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I discovered apes are terrible cowards.

Bananas do not work.

I sent my top commander with around 20 of the common, most simple, ape unit. They rushed the enemy (around 20 or so militas+archers), and fled after taking a few hits. Battle ended in defeat.

A turn later, I return with 20 more apes, and now the enemy has only 7 archers left. Again, they rush forward, 4-5 die, and they run back once more. Thank the Pretender my commander was there to cast Smite at them until they ran away -_-

The Innocent
18-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Haha, that's a rough break. Yes, apes are terrible cowards. About as terribly cowardly as my goblins, in fact.

MasterBoo
18-09-2011, 09:57 PM
What's the best way to fight elephants? :S

How do you move between more than 1 province in a turn? I know there's a key stroke or something, but couldn't find it in the manual.

J.B.
18-09-2011, 10:08 PM
What's the best way to fight elephants? :S

How do you move between more than 1 province in a turn? I know there's a key stroke or something, but couldn't find it in the manual.

Elephants? From a distance would be my best guess =)

As for moving more tha none province, surely that depends on the movement allowance of the unit/army? I'm sure one of the old hands can tell us for sure though.

The Innocent
18-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Movement basics:

When you look at the unit sheet (right-click the unit), it will have two numbers under "Move" in the right column. The first is that unit's map movement potential, and the second is the number of squares the unit can move in a combat round.

You can only move more than 1 space within your own territory, and only if you aren't blocked by terrain. For instance, forests and mountains will block movement even within friendly territory (though some units have traits such as "Mountain Survival" which will permit them to ignore those terrain penalties). So it's fairly uncommon to be able to move farther than one space per turn unless you have flying units or the map's terrain types just match up in a good way to facilitate movement.

Zyrden
18-09-2011, 10:29 PM
I had some cowards of my own: Mercenary militia. 60 men, and they couldn't take down 10 cavalry and some infantry. Very disappointed.
Taking the screens through steam is so much easier. Now I have to look at them to remember what to rename them though.

Nullkigan
18-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Elephants:

Either lots of arrows, or (if armoured elephants) heavy cavalry with lances and making sure you get the charge.

Failing that, giants that can't be trampled.

You can also try to kill the rest of the army before the elephants so the elephants panic and flee. A psychological spell cast at the elephants themselves can also do wonders as the retreating pachiderms will stomp through their own lines, trampling everything that gets in their way... but I don't think I've read an AAR where anyone ever used such a spell.

J.B.
19-09-2011, 09:36 AM
The hall rang with the sound of titanic hammering. A smell of fire and metals permeated the entire fortress. The old Sequani steward had to almost shout to make himself heard.

"My Lord Wayland, the order has gone out. Troops are being massed from all of the tribes in the area surrounding Marverni. Even the Eponi are mustering their horsemasters. We will be ready for war within 3 turns of the moon."

The dark figure hunched over the massive anvil raised its shaggy, bearded head. "Good, good." He scratched his chin thoughtfully. "Have we had word back from Carnutes yet?"

"Yes, master. The druids are rousing the Boar Lords and their warriors as we speak. However, they can be...difficult to focus. I do not expect to see them reach our armies for some time yet."

"Aaah, but they will be a welcome addition when they do arrive. They will drive our terrified foes before us. Good." Wayland rumbled.

The smith prodded the glowing mass on the anvil with his hammer. "You may go. Leave me to my work."

"As you say, my Lord." replied the venerable steward as he bowed and ducked out of the hall. Wayland returned to working the iron on the anvil with great vigour. The swords and shields would be in great demand in the months to come.

Vexing Vision
19-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Movement basics:
You can only move more than 1 space within your own territory, and only if you aren't blocked by terrain.

Unless your entire army is made out of fliers, in which case you can move three to any province. Beware of this though - if fliers rout, they still need a directly neighboring friendly province to regroup, otherwise they are destroyed.

Elephants are really scary (but not as scary as heavy cavalry), but they're just as wimpy as Master Boo's army of apes. As Nullkigan said, there's plenty of spells that can lower the moral of an enemy unit. Moral checks are made whenever a significant amount of damage is done, and is based on how much percentage of the original unit that entered the battle is still alive. Note that most fear-spells do not cause a morale-check, but merely lower it.

Basically, just grab a ton of sticks and stones and throw them at the Elephants until they rout, because if they rout, they'll most likely trample half of the enemy's army as well.

MasterBoo
19-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I think my RP decisions early on (= how I built my pretender), will be my demise :P.

"Oook?" (Nature bull?!)

"Ook." (Yes.)

"Oookkk!" (What a noob.)

Vexing Vision
20-09-2011, 08:56 AM
The bull is a lovely combattant, especially if he can regenerate.

Castles rise to the west and east and south. The northern seas are free of invaders but crawling with trolls, kraken and shark riders. This is a world of turmoil. Peace will be hard to bring, the Captain of the Bronze Trident addressed the Pearled Hall. Where is the Queen?
She is still in retirement, one of the Hall's speakers replied. The aggression of these invaders pains the Guardian of the Well.
The Captain nodded. I will assemble the volunteers to secure our coastal provinces, then, to ease our Queen's sorrow.
The fish-like speaker of the Hall showed a row of sharp teeth in an imitation of a merman-smile. May our Queen of Eloquence bless your bravery and inspire our troops.

MasterBoo
21-09-2011, 09:04 AM
I start to get the hang of the game finally, and understand how strong the Bull is with Barkskin + Twist of Fate.

I think I'll be posting my first diary post once we get to the first year or once I encounter one of you directly (because it'll be too revealing if I'll be posting before).

Vexing Vision
21-09-2011, 09:45 PM
The Shark Knights have been subdued, the Captain reported to the Pearled Hall. We are training their ranks to fill our army.

Captain, you have done well. Soon, the Ocean floor is ours, and the songs of the mer will ring with the rising waves. However..., the Hall's Speaker intones. However, our army profess a weakness not to be underestimated.

The Captain's finned breast swelled with pride. Our army is the finest in the world, and with the Shark Knights joining us in our crusade, there is not a thing that can stand in our way!

Are these landsharks then, Captain?, the Speaker asked, rather sharply. The Captain visibly deflated, and began to stammer an apology that this was not part of his original military plan. The Speaker waved him to silence. No more words. You have done well, but another needs to take your place now. Fortunately, our Queen has a plan...

riadsala
21-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Fortunately, our Queen has a plan...[/i]

Crap. I was banking on nobody having a plan, or any sort of clue as to what they should be doing.

I guess I'd better draw up a plan of myself. Can you draw them in MS Paint?

MasterBoo
21-09-2011, 10:30 PM
A dozen of short apes, Markatas, entered the Main Hall of the Sacred Banana Temple. They were wearing torn rags, and some of them were lightly wounded. In the middle of the Hall, Aila the Sacred Enchantress, and Candranibh, the Kailasay Prophet, discussed battles plans. The apes approached and spoke to Aila, who was the only one in the Hall capable to speak the common tongue.

"Ook."

"... He ran away?"

"Ook."

"The White Bull ran away? Just like that?"

"Ook."

"Is he alone now? The Divine priests of the Banana? The Yavana? The Atavi? Nobody?"

"Ook."

sigh.

"Ook."

"And the scouts lost him as well?.. That's just great."

Aila picked a banana from her pouch and raised her hand. The Markata opened their eyes wide.

"Go find our Lord. Free bananas for the finder."

Vexing Vision
22-09-2011, 08:33 AM
No worries, Riadsala, my plan mostly consists in mutating the shark knights to be able to breathe air.

I'll speak to you again in roughly 300 to 400 years. It's very longterm.

J.B.
22-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Awesome, I guess that means I can cancel my programme to make my warriors breathe water. Thanks VV.

Vexing Vision
22-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Wait, you have a plan for that?

Abandon primary target! Acquire secondary target! Where is he?

J.B.
22-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Well, it mainly consists of holding a Marverni's head under water and seeing if he can breathe. We sign the ones that can up to the Marine Corps, the ones who can't go in the mass grave. It's not been going great so far, truth be told. We're about 0-250.

riadsala
22-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Wait, you have a plan for that?

Abandon primary target! Acquire secondary target! Where is he?

He's hiding in the temple with the Vestal virgins

MasterBoo
22-09-2011, 11:26 AM
My soldiers make snorkels using dry banana shells. Interested JB?

MasterBoo
22-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I have to say I'm really into the game. I can't wait for the next turn (and to think we planned weekly turns! pfff).

Vexing Vision
22-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Dominions just has so much personality. And the map is really lovely, you should save it somewhere. Especially if the starting provinces all are where I believe them to be. (Advantage of water nations is that I can get everywhere way faster than you lot! Now, how do I stop my troops from undrowning....)

The Innocent
23-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Yes, this map is pretty incredible. And it only took me four generations to come up with it, which was quite a pleasant surprise.

Vexing Vision
23-09-2011, 10:32 AM
A question to everyone. From what I see is we're entering the stage where diplomacy and trade becomes interesting. The in-game messaging system is fun but fundamentally broken, as it needs two turns for each reply (which adds an interesting strategical depth to communication), and it has a severe limit on characters.

Would you like to keep the stylish in-game messengers, or should we allow out of game cooperations and communications?

riadsala
23-09-2011, 11:01 AM
A question to everyone. From what I see is we're entering the stage where diplomacy and trade becomes interesting. The in-game messaging system is fun but fundamentally broken, as it needs two turns for each reply (which adds an interesting strategical depth to communication), and it has a severe limit on characters.

Would you like to keep the stylish in-game messengers, or should we allow out of game cooperations and communications?

I quite like the in game messages... the delay in communication does add something. Like vendettas in Solium Infernum, takes a good few turns for things to happen.

Obviously though, we can't stop people emailing each other and whatnot.

MasterBoo
23-09-2011, 11:22 AM
I also like the messaging system, but I guess we can't prevent people from communicating in other ways.

Zyrden
23-09-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't really care either way. But if we do decide to only use the in-game message system, surely we can just agree to stick to it?

Vexing Vision
23-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I don't really care either way. But if we do decide to only use the in-game message system, surely we can just agree to stick to it?

Yep.

We're all honourable people, apart from those demon-infested goblins, noisy apes, depraved legionaires and half-naked, all-crazed treehuggers.

Those underwater guys are pretty nice, too!

MasterBoo
23-09-2011, 03:53 PM

Up to it!

<Throws a Holy Banana Grenade (a Conjuration 5 spell) at Vexing Vision>

The Innocent
23-09-2011, 05:57 PM
I agree, let's just stick to in-game communication from now on. It makes sense within the game world (messengers have to get there, and they already do it much faster than these dang scouts).

J.B.
23-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah, works for me =)

MasterBoo
23-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Is it possible to increase the level of a priest?

Nullkigan
23-09-2011, 08:23 PM
The only way to do that is to prophetise him, IIRC. You can't empower Holy like you can with the other magic trees. This is part of what makes C'Tis (high level priests) good.

MasterBoo
24-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Pfff I'm dying to post my notes but they are too revealing.

J.B.
24-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Pfff I'm dying to post my notes but they are too revealing.

Yeah, I've written up my notes now. I'll get them put up on a blog and give some of my friends the link. But not you guys yet.

Nullkigan
24-09-2011, 12:53 PM
A good campaign of misinformation never hurt anyone. Much.

darkweeble
24-09-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm super interested in Dominions and I really look forward to your diary entries, guys! Any suggestions on good AARs that I can read to tide me over? Seems to be a big section on the main website but they have lots of dropouts and false starts. Do any of you have any favorites?

Zyrden
24-09-2011, 10:02 PM
This (http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3/) was my introduction to Dominions 3. it covers a lot of the game, is quite informative and usually explains what's going on. It's fairly long though.

MasterBoo
25-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I am waiting for the next turn to publish the first year diary (secretly, I changed the domain name). If there are interested readers, please send me a private message :)

darkweeble
25-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks, Zyrden! I work at a library so I actually have a load of time to read stuff like this. I've powered though most of the best Dwarf Fortress succession forts already.

MasterBoo
25-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Here's an interesting question: Can hidden/sneaking prophets spread dominion in enemy territory while remaining hidden?

Nullkigan
25-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Yes. It can be a great tactic for finishing off people.

E: Though you'll rarely overcome the pretender's own dominon spread, which is equivalent to three temples/priests.

WHY DO I KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT THIS GAME I DON'T EVEN OWN? (LPs like the one Zyrden linked, that's why :()

J.B.
25-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Here's an interesting question: Can hidden/sneaking prophets spread dominion in enemy territory while remaining hidden?

This is often a key part of my strategy =)

Zyrden
26-09-2011, 12:36 PM
BTW, did you disable score graphs? I can't really find any other reason why it's still unavailable.

J.B.
26-09-2011, 12:43 PM
BTW, did you disable score graphs? I can't really find any other reason why it's still unavailable.

I believe they were disabled, yes. Makes it less likely that the person in the lead gets ganged up on and makes intel-gathering more important.

The Innocent
26-09-2011, 03:19 PM
I believe they were disabled, yes. Makes it less likely that the person in the lead gets ganged up on and makes intel-gathering more important.

J.B.'s hit it right on the head.

Zyrden
26-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Alright, makes it more fair. I like it.

riadsala
26-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Alright, makes it more fair. I like it.

Also makes it harder for newer players though. I find keeping track of my own Empire difficult enough without trying to keep tabs on everybody else. And, with the graphs off, I can't compare my progress to get an idea of how well I'm doing.

Ah well. Ignorance is bliss. We will drink our Emorian wine and watch the gladiators spar.

Vexing Vision
26-09-2011, 04:57 PM
The OSS (the Oceanic Secret Service) is happy to sell all kinds of information. Our motto is "Just add a drop of water, and the Ocean will follow."

So, Nullkigan, why don't you own the game yet? There's another sale at Shrapnel for a few $ off (though I agree that they're by far the most expensive "indie" publisher out there).

MasterBoo
26-09-2011, 04:58 PM
I raise a toast for the ending of the first year. May I crush you all in the next one!

J.B.
26-09-2011, 05:09 PM
The OSS (the Oceanic Secret Service) is happy to sell all kinds of information.

On a similar note, Wayland is quite the smith. If there's a specific magic item (or type of magic item) you're after, do send us a missive. Payment accepted in cash or magic gems. Our motto is "Send us bags of cash and we'll make a magic item for you."

Zyrden
26-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Ugh, just finished my writeup for the first 10 turns. 10 turns isn't that long right?
4 hours and 11 pages later, yes, yes it is that long.
And I still haven't added screens.

J.B.
26-09-2011, 07:11 PM
=O

Now I'm *really* feeling nervous about writing my notes up!

riadsala
26-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Ugh, just finished my writeup for the first 10 turns. 10 turns isn't that long right?
4 hours and 11 pages later, yes, yes it is that long.
And I still haven't added screens.

good work sir!

if you're happy to wait, I would be more than happy to host your AAR on the little blog i've set up for such stuff. I'm making a blog post per turn, and I'd like to interleave other points of view throughout it.

The Innocent
26-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Also makes it harder for newer players though. I find keeping track of my own Empire difficult enough without trying to keep tabs on everybody else. And, with the graphs off, I can't compare my progress to get an idea of how well I'm doing.

Sorry, I probably should have consulted with everyone about the decision to have the graphs off. I made an executive call because I was generating the maps at the same time that I was setting up the game, so it was a lot easier to just punch in all the factions and pretenders and set up the game options at the same time. I can't stand to play with graphs on anymore, but considering how many new players we have, perhaps I should have left them on. Sorry if that bugs anyone.

Also, I've been writing up the game as we go as well. Every 3 turns (a game season) I've been doing a writeup. Over three posts so far, I've accumulated maybe 2100 words. I'm happy with whatever we decide for accumulating the AARs -- I can host it on the blog I've put together, or someone else can.

Zyrden
26-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Ah I guess its just me writing a lot then, since I'm at 4200 words and 23726 signs with spaces. Always been a fan of stats in documents.
I'll probably start doing it every 5 turns instead though, this is a little too much at once.
Doesn't really matter to me where it's hosted, but it's nice to know that I don't have look for a place.

MasterBoo
27-09-2011, 06:55 AM
I have 2000 words (including the introduction). Although I'm trying to write things in a summarized and funny way so I won't weary the readers with intensive details of every turn.

EDIT: Oh god. Remind me not to attack Lion Tribe protected provinces again. "only 20. easy". God.

riadsala
27-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Sorry, I probably should have consulted with everyone about the decision to have the graphs off. I made an executive call because I was generating the maps at the same time that I was setting up the game, so it was a lot easier to just punch in all the factions and pretenders and set up the game options at the same time. I can't stand to play with graphs on anymore, but considering how many new players we have, perhaps I should have left them on. Sorry if that bugs anyone.

Ah, not to worry. Maybe we could have them on next game though? It would be useful to get a better idea of how well i'm doing compared to others, and how quickly I start falling behind.

Vexing Vision
27-09-2011, 09:35 AM
A single perfect tear ran from the Captain's eye. The Queen was still silent, but he could feel her sorrow as invading armies entered the coastal woods, nearly as beautiful as the Kelp Forrests below.

War. War is is inevitable, and it saddened the Captain to water the forests with salt and blood, for many of the wondrous creatures in this unknown realm would perish in the battle, just as the enemy would.

MasterBoo
27-09-2011, 10:07 AM
So I guess you attacked Ermor? Poor riadsala :P.

J.B.
27-09-2011, 10:13 AM
I have a feeling that right about now there's going to be a whole lot of blood starting to be spilled.

Cry havoc, etc

Vexing Vision
27-09-2011, 10:32 AM
You're doing fine, riadsala. :)

I definitely recommend building cheap scouts to send out. You should have a province or two that build really cheap scouts.

And yeah, I think we're about to enter the interesting phase of the game soon! Let's see how long it takes to get thrown back into the sea. My armies are so unbelievably slow and squishy on land...

riadsala
27-09-2011, 10:45 AM

sigh. and I was enjoying the game too.

Vexing Vision
27-09-2011, 11:57 AM

This information is available for Gold or magical items.

Sincerely yours,
- the OSS

MasterBoo
27-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Hmm... How long it usually takes to "Call God"? :S

Nullkigan
27-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Sounds like a supercombatant got hit by a lucky arrow?

Recalling a god is, iirc, 40 priest levels. So 40 turns with a single level 1 priest or 4 turns with 4 level 3s. Sleeping gods wake up 10-14 turns after the start of the game and imprisoned ones break free at 20-28 turns.

30 is still too expensive when the best bit is reading AARs :(

Vexing Vision
27-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Nullkigan's encyclopedic knowledge of the game is correct.

You need an accumulated 40 priest levels, at the end of which your God will pop back into existence in your home province with -1 magic paths and potentially some perma damage. Your blessing level will not be affected though (you're not losing bless-effects based on any reduction of magic paths).

If your home province is besieged or conquered, he'll pop into existence outside the castle gates and start attacking the besiegers, so that's a thing to potentially keep in mind.

MasterBoo
27-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Oh crap. Well that's disappointing :P.

Can I "Call God" by different priests in different provinces to accumulate the effect?

Vexing Vision
27-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah, the more priests you've got working on this, the better. The effect is cumulative over all turns and all priests.

I haven't used Call God in a long time (I prefer immortal or stationary pretenders or at least pick my battles very, very carefully), but I think they don't switch back automagically after being done with the calling.

MasterBoo
27-09-2011, 12:50 PM
I fought 20 Lion Tribesmen. They surrounded him instead of being trampled normally. 270 HP in a turn and he's dead. They looked squishy to me, especially after I managed to take down 60 barbarians with my pretender alone earlier.

The Innocent
27-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Ah, terrible luck. Sorry to hear about that large of a setback. The Dom3 combat system allows for stuff like that to happen though. For instance, a peasant can slay a dragon -- it's just very, very unlikely.

Basically, it uses an "open-ended" 2d6 roll. If either of the dice rolled result in a 6, then one is subtracted and the die is rolled again, with the new number added to the first. If the new number is 6, it continues on.

Sorry your god got taken down like that. It sure is dramatic though!

Nullkigan
27-09-2011, 04:17 PM
You usually see super high levels of damage when unconcious. Fatigue is the biggest problem for many supercombatants, as soon as you run out (for example, by defending against two dozen attacks in one turn whilst wearing heavy armour) you lose all defences and damage skyrockets.

There was an interesting derail in one of the current SA Let's Play Dom 3 threads (Pantokrator, by Gabriel Pope I think) about whether or not the random number generator is actually truly random. Offhand, it has a slight tendancy to repeat (long) patterns and is incapable of having 30+ sixes be rolled in succession no matter how many goes you let it have?

MasterBoo
27-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Is there a way to see the stats of units I do not own (but currently in the province they occupy) without having to look at the manual?

J.B.
27-09-2011, 04:44 PM
You mean indies that you can recruit? Or indies/enemies in a neighbouring province?

If it's indies you can recruit, just open the "Recruit Units" screen and right-click on the unit you want details on.

Otherwise, I don't think so, no. Could be wrong though!

MasterBoo
27-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Indies/enemies I can't recruit.

Just watched the battle animation again. What happened is that their commander casted "Sleep Touch" and my Bull just went to sleep with 126 fatigue. >tuck< >tuck< and he's dead.

The Innocent
27-09-2011, 05:00 PM
@MasterBoo

Just go here and type in the unit. Detailed stats will follow.

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Main_Page

But correct, no way to do it ingame. Well, without putting the unit into a battle as a hypothetical unit, but then you need to expend way more effort. And know the unit ID number (at least in general. You can theoretically do it with their name, but lots of units share names).

J.B.
27-09-2011, 05:02 PM
you can rightclick on all units in battles if that helps? Pauses the game and opens their info screen. If there are multiple units in the square you clicked on then they are in a line at the bottom of the info screen, you just select the unit you want.

(Sorry if that's obvious/you already knew!)

MasterBoo
27-09-2011, 05:04 PM
I want to plan how to enter the battle before going into it :P

I'll use the link you gave The Innocent, thanks!

Vexing Vision
27-09-2011, 05:18 PM
You can rightclick on anything in the battle to get a full amount of stats.

Fatigue is the one way to get supercombatants off the battlefield. He got lucky to pass your God's Magic Resistance!

To get an accurate view of enemy units you are about to face, I'd send in a single cheap commander with "retreat" order. That's the most accurate you get, AND you learn about nasty surprises like special leaders.

J.B.
27-09-2011, 05:33 PM
To get an accurate view of enemy units you are about to face, I'd send in a single cheap commander with "retreat" order. That's the most accurate you get, AND you learn about nasty surprises like special leaders.

Sneaky.

I like it.

Vexing Vision
27-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Sneaky.

I like it.

Additionally, small armies usually move before big armies. This means you can actually tie down an enemy army if it spots you (there's a change armies will just pass each other).

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, I'm shooting myself in the foot here. Any other advice on how to crush my armies?

Nullkigan
27-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Additionally, small armies usually move before big armies. This means you can actually tie down an enemy army if it spots you (there's a change armies will just pass each other).

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, I'm shooting myself in the foot here. Any other advice on how to crush my armies?

I don't think army size factors into it? I'm fairly sure I've read about someone trying to use scouts to stop a pursuing force like this. The entire movement system is rather convoluted and could use a proper article on the wiki. Magic further complicates things.

... are you at the point of using communions yet? Those are a real game changer :P

MasterBoo
27-09-2011, 07:02 PM
..Communions? >confused and misses his bull<

Zyrden
27-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Communions... nasty stuff. It uses 2 spells, Communion master and com slave. All the slaves get connected to the master, and benefits from buffs he/she casts. Commonly that would be magic enhancers like Summon earthpower, giving EVERYONE in the communion a +1 to earth magic. Next turn, do it with fire. Or use air shield to protect all your casters from arrows. You get the point. Also, I believe fatigue is shared in a communion. So its actually possible to cast 100+ fatigue spells. Or several high fatigue spells, since its spread out over a large number of people. If you have a lot of casters, you can really wreak havoc with communions. There is the threat of all your magic artillery going out at once because of shared fatigue however.

Vexing Vision
27-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Actually, Communion Slaves boost the magical pathes of the Communion Master and absorb his fatigue, making it possible to cast these fun Astral-8 battlefield spells for example.

It's really nasty but takes a lot of time to prepare and research. I don't think we'll see a lot of communion going on given the short scope of the game.

Zyrden
27-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Ah right. I should have read up on it before writing based on my memories. Derp

Sarigs
27-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Hey all, been following the thread and it's been making me interesting in the game...like a few other have said the price is a bit of a stumbling point and when I noticed the Extended Download "extra" option...extends the download period for 10 days to 2 years...am I reading that right as in if you buy the standard version and uninstall for some reason you can't reinstall if it's been longer then 10 days since purchase? Am I missing something there?

Nullkigan
27-09-2011, 10:15 PM
You get a CD key which will work fine, but you won't be able to redownload directly from their site. Just back it up onto a cd.

Communions work two ways: there's the standard communion, which uses a number of slaves to empower a single master. Four slaves (iirc) is equal to +1 magic skill (greater effects and the ability to use higher level spells) as well as sharing the fatigue from each spell amongst the communion. This lets you cast "rocks fall" (gift of heaven), which is a powerful if inaccurate spell, with greater ease and regularity. You tend to see communions of about 12 slaves because this gives +2 and lets a couple die/sinks additional fatigue, but much more than this becomes expensive and unwieldy. When a master acts, the slaves cannot. Using a standard communion you're generally trying to bring down the more powerful (level 5+) spells, either repeatedly (GoH) or as a one off (level 9 master enslave, perhaps).

As a note: mages can use gems to empower specific spells (even those which don't cost gems) and reduce fatigue loss, but it's limited to a +1. So a communion with a master who has gems can be quite powerful even without empowering specific mages.

The second type of communion is a reverse communion. As pointed out, when someone casts a buff, the entire communion gets it. So the scripting plan is to have a bunch of buffs cast, then have the slaves do the heavy lifting. The master is scripted to not do anything as this would deny the slaves (and therefore group buffs) a chance to come into play. With this you can turn your mages into an effective firing squad or even a bunch of berobed Conan types. There are a number of mid-level (3-4ish) spells that can be used like this. I think lightning bolt is a good example, but I'm not sure if any races have access to both it and communions. Caelum can usually spam the lightning bolts without one.

Of course to set up a communion you need either casters with astral one, or the crafted items slave collar / matrix. This can get expensive as mages are not cheap and ones with astral paths generally even less so.

One of the most important things for new players to learn is that as the game progresses armies (and therefore gold) get less and less important. The early game is about your troops, yes. The midgame is about mages and thugs (commanders with good magic items that you have forged or bought). The late game usually comes down to maximum level spells (e.g. wish) and supercombatants (Tartarians, Chayots, Grigori), and often sees several provinces switch hands each turn as teleporting invisible vikings take over the world.

I hope nobody is abusing gemgens against the poor newbies!

Vexing Vision
27-09-2011, 10:44 PM
No point for gemgens in a short game. I am pretty certain the game will be decided way before the first player reaches research level 8.

Nullkigan
27-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Short game? Quitters!

(post the map? :))

J.B.
27-09-2011, 10:58 PM
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4174/rpsdom3blankmap.png

The map in all its glory.

Vexing Vision
27-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Here you go. It's really a lovely, lovely random map.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab66/VexingVision/Dominions%203/Dom3RPS_map-1.jpg?t=1317160875

Nullkigan
27-09-2011, 11:13 PM
About 10 provinces each? Yeah, I can see that being pretty short. Could be painful for whoever is in the NW corner, too.

riadsala
28-09-2011, 09:46 AM
This game is sounding more and more complicated.

Vexing Vision
28-09-2011, 10:12 AM
This game is sounding more and more complicated.

It's very, very scalable. You can micromanage down to the individual equipment of your leaders, minutely resetting each tax level and work out optimal search patterns.

Or you just go style over substance, research what sounds cool, give a few leaders some fun items to play with and just send in your hordes. I personally tend towards that playstyle.

The micromanager will probably win but might still get caught by surprise by some cleverly designed army setups that flank in just the right way.

J.B.
30-09-2011, 04:57 PM
This weekend Wayland will be going out on the town and getting hammered.

(A little Forge Lord "humour" for you there. He compelled me to share it.)

MasterBoo
01-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Another little question: Is there a way to know the upkeep (in gold) each unit in my army takes? Also, can I dismiss a unit from service so it won't take upkeep?

Nullkigan
01-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Usually 1/15th of recruiting cost, 1/30th if Sacred. Not sure about disbanding.

J.B.
01-10-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm sure I read somewhere (regarding disbanding cursed or wounded units) that the only way to get rid of a unit is to put them on the front line or march them into the sea (assuming they can't breathe underwater).

MasterBoo
01-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Is it just me or high luck+turmoil is a very good option to start the game with? In a game I'm playing against some friends, I have so many good random events. Every few turns I get +3000 gold, magic items and gems and free soldiers. The gold is especially important as it allows me to increase my defense quite a lot in key provinces.

Zyrden
01-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Oh! I took my turn a long time ago, but I completely forgot to upload it. Can't believe I failed to notice that I was the one missing in the folder. Sorry about that.

Vexing Vision
01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Is it just me or high luck+turmoil is a very good option to start the game with? In a game I'm playing against some friends, I have so many good random events. Every few turns I get +3000 gold, magic items and gems and free soldiers. The gold is especially important as it allows me to increase my defense quite a lot in key provinces.

It's great if it works. But bad events can seriously be disastrous to you - knights attacking your provinces, troglodytes coming out of your newly destroyed temple, the lab you needed to cast down fireballs on your enemy going up in smoke... and an Order dominion provides a more stable income.

There's a few nations that do exceptionally well in turmoil/luck.

The Innocent
01-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Oh! I took my turn a long time ago, but I completely forgot to upload it. Can't believe I failed to notice that I was the one missing in the folder. Sorry about that.

No worries! I cannot tell you how many times I've done that with PBEM games.

MasterBoo
01-10-2011, 08:37 PM
And yet another noob question (regarding the other game I'm playing): My prophet was carrying strong magic items, yet he died of disease. Usually when my old commanders died of disease I'd see a message about that, but when my prophet died, I didn't have any message, and all the magic items were gone as well (not at the treasury nor on any other commander). Also I can't assign now a new prophet (and I've seen the AI nations designate new prophets after their old one died).

The Innocent
01-10-2011, 09:20 PM
When your prophet dies you have to wait a few turns before you can call another one.

As for the items disappearing when he died of disease... I have no idea. I don't know all the details of the chances of recovering magic items. If a commander loses some in battle, both sides have a chance of recovering them, but I don't know about disease.

MasterBoo
04-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Oh my, that was an interesting turn.

Vexing Vision
04-10-2011, 08:51 AM
The armies of the land-dwellers crash like angry waves on a stormy sea. The Amber Mage, formally a Speaker of the Pearled Hall attempts to commune with the silent Goddess of Oceania. Oh Queen of Eloquence, are we ready yet to face the might of steel and chain and the cruel, cruel sun in the desolate wilderness above the sea? Tell us, Opener of Wells, are we ready? Give us a sign, your subjects beg you.

But this prayer, like so many before it, remained unanswered, as a sense of dread washed over the Amber Clan triton.

J.B.
04-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Oh my, that was an interesting turn.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing quite a few of those from here on out.

Vexing Vision
04-10-2011, 09:05 AM
I honestly can't wait for the next turn. And for the in-game messages I expect.

This not-negotiating-outside-of-game is bloody hard.

MasterBoo
04-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Poor Zyrden :P

J.B.
04-10-2011, 09:08 AM
I honestly can't wait for the next turn. And for the in-game messages I expect.

This not-negotiating-outside-of-game is bloody hard.

I'm feeling the same way. But it makes it so much fun!

J.B.
04-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Incidentally, I've started writing up my notes into a blog. Finally. If anyone (who isn't playing but happens to read this thread) would like the link, drop me a PM.

Zyrden
04-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Allow me to say: AAAARGH you bastards!
Did you coordinate this? It's mighty suspicious that Maverni, Oceania AND Kailasea choose to attack in the same turn.
I knew starting in the middle of everything was a bad place.

On the other hand, fine, send your puny armies. I'll make a great statue park out of your troops. Ask Riadsala how armies fare against my SC. The great Mother of Snakes does not forgive, she kills until nothing remains to be forgiven.

Vexing Vision
04-10-2011, 03:36 PM
I can't wait to read your AAR about this turn, Zyrden. :D

MasterBoo
04-10-2011, 04:11 PM
I can say that I knew nothing of the others' plans, but the blue flag of Oceania at your coasts was a sign that you won't be able to handle two armies at once. If I knew Maverni would be involved as well... :P

J.B.
04-10-2011, 04:17 PM
I can neither confirm nor deny any involvement with the stinky fish-people or the ugly monkeys.

The Innocent
04-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Oh, yeah, that's a good idea J.B.!

If anyone wants to look over what I've been writing for our game, go ahead and PM me as well.

Vexing Vision
04-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Well, considering there are no stinky fish-people on the map, go ahead and deny whatever you want, "meat".

/Edit: Apart from, you know, those shark knights. They do smell a bit.

riadsala
04-10-2011, 05:41 PM
On the other hand, fine, send your puny armies. I'll make a great statue park out of your troops. Ask Riadsala how armies fare against my SC. The great Mother of Snakes does not forgive, she kills until nothing remains to be forgiven.

Err, hang on the now. That doesn't sound so friendly.

Not looking forward to opening this turn. Might need to go down the pub and cask some courage first.

MasterBoo
04-10-2011, 06:26 PM
The ugly monkeys insist you keep calling them like this from now.

moth bones
04-10-2011, 10:43 PM
This game sounds absolutely fascinating. If it's not too much trouble, please PM me your private witterings. I note that fellow SI players are involved - does it have similar qualities?

Vexing Vision
04-10-2011, 11:39 PM
It's much much more of an actual RPG than SI. SI is streamlined to do a subtle nastiness every turn. In Dominions, you mostly pick a strategy and go for it, then try to desperately to adapt your grand strategy to whatever just kicked your godly behind on the battlefield. (In Zyrden's case, I think it was a bit of failed diplomacy, but we'll see what happens. :D)

The beauty of Dominions is that you're never ever certain of what the enemy's coming up with. There's half a dozen entirely different viable strategies per nation plus a hundred thousand small alterations to each, depending what kind of units you find on the map or what kind of magic sites you find along the way. With 50+ different nations, there's a lot to discover and explode at each other.

It also tickles the "boardgame"-itch I for one get at SI, and it allows for some very sneaky strategies and surprise spells. But it's a lot more strategy, less diplomacy and intrigue.

Zyrden
05-10-2011, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't call it "failed diplomacy" as much as sneaky conspiracies >:(
To be fair, my messages had a rather aggressive tone. But I was confident I could hold off any one of you, and it fits my AAR narrative.
Apologies Boo for using "filthy" instead of ugly, I couldn't remember which one it was.

MasterBoo
05-10-2011, 10:42 PM
I think I'm in trouble.

MasterBoo
07-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Okay. I am in trouble! I provoked riadsala out of boredom, thinking all his army is in the west. Now I have a 80-man army on my door step :S, after I lost my stealth-stupid-filthy-ugly army in Zyrden's territory. SPARE ME!

Vexing Vision
07-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Hmmm. A most interesting development. A bit unexpected, too.

MasterBoo
07-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Well, it's a noob battle :P We'll probably both lose in the end.

The thing is, I learned so much since we started (already finished 2 other games with 2 friends), that only now I realize how many rookie mistakes I've done :D

Vexing Vision
07-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I am quite looking forward to another game with you guys, but I don't have the time to commit to two of them. Rookie mistakes are good!

riadsala
07-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Okay. I am in trouble! I provoked riadsala out of boredom, thinking all his army is in the west. Now I have a 80-man army on my door step :S, after I lost my stealth-stupid-filthy-ugly army in Zyrden's territory. SPARE ME!

I was wondering why you attacked me. I thought we had a nice mutual agreeement going on... we both have no idea what we're doing, so we should stick together. Too late for that now i guess.

Zyrden
07-10-2011, 07:33 PM

Aha! So that's where they came from. I was puzzled as to where 2 armies suddenly came from when we had no connecting borders.
Sneaky gits are everywhere these days :/

riadsala
09-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Some interesting choices to be made this turn.

MasterBoo
09-10-2011, 12:45 PM
>throws an explosive banana at riadsala<

>winks<

Vexing Vision
09-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Pro-Tip: If your set your scout to "retreat", make sure there's actually a province he can retreat to if he gets discovered by patrollers. :P

Now stay off my kelp-covered lawn, you kids.

Nullkigan
09-10-2011, 03:32 PM
He's a scout, he's dead either way!

MasterBoo
09-10-2011, 03:35 PM
What spell is used to reveal all magic sites in a province (also, in which school). I couldn't find it, nor the spell that reveals astral magic sites.

Also what are gem gens?

Vexing Vision
09-10-2011, 03:45 PM
There's an all-purpose spell called Acashic Record which costs 25 Astral Pearls and is Conjuration-5 (or 4?). Very, very expensive.

Most other spells are Thaumaturgy-2 or Enchantment-2 and reveal sites of a particular magic for 2 gems.

Gem gens are crafted items that generate additional gems. There are two basic gem gen items - clams (for astral pearls) and fever fetishes (for fire), although the fetish bearers get diseased, so you're better of having a dedicated province full of diseased people.

Nullkigan
09-10-2011, 04:24 PM
The greater proportion (80%?) of sites can be found by searching with a mage of two ranks in the appropriate school of magic. A third rank gives you basically all of the sites, and the third-rank only sites aren't so much more powerful that it's worth empowering to that level.

Vexing Vision
10-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Note that casting discovery spells is much, much faster than manual searching though - you don't have to spend a turn to move before searching.

moth bones
10-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Heh, thanks for all the Dom3 messages, I've just this minute found them thanks to RPS' incredibly subtle PM notifications :D

I've picked the game up now so if anyone else fancies playing (or any of you lot fancy a second front) let me know.

gp1628
16-10-2011, 02:22 PM
There are always open games here. Just pick one and announce it in this thread. http://www.dom3minions.com/HostedGames.htm or if none of those fit your desires you can get one hosted there. http://www.dom3minions.com

MasterBoo
16-10-2011, 03:51 PM
How can you create alliances within the game (I noticed some games have allies-computers vs allies-players)?

pakoito
16-10-2011, 04:05 PM
If someone is up to host another newbie game on llamaserver, I'm in. I've already completed several SP games and I'n in another couple MP too.

Sarigs
16-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I've been playing about with the SP a bit, few games and I'd love to try the MP, may need someone to walk me through the process though, only used to dropbox type games so far!

J.B.
16-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Looks like the next game could potentially be huge =)

The Innocent
16-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Yeah, when this game is over, we can launch another. I'd love to play a middle era game with this group (plus anyone else who wants to join, of course).

riadsala
17-10-2011, 08:53 AM
I'd be in of course.

:-)

J.B.
17-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Never played any middle era but I'd be game too

Vexing Vision
17-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Well, I think we still need two or three months to determine a winner though.

I'd also love to join a new game, but really can't commit to two of them right now.

riadsala
17-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Just thinking of the number of mistakes I'll be able to learn from, it makes me giddy.

MasterBoo
17-10-2011, 01:01 PM
I'll join as well, especially since now I know how to play more or less (I have finished 3 other multiplayer games since we started). I sucked (and still is) so much this game D:

I have a friend who would like to join as well when we begin a new one.

Anyway, nobody answered me, does the game supports alliances or are they "unofficial"?

The Innocent
17-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Yes, alliances are "unofficial" -- good way of describing them.

Vexing Vision
17-10-2011, 11:14 PM
These Gods just don't like to share. While you can declare a game ended at any time, it ain't over till the fat lady summons Valkyries down on the last Pretender standing.

Also, there is no way of coordinating attacks in the same province.

pakoito
17-10-2011, 11:30 PM
These Gods just don't like to share. While you can declare a game ended at any time, it ain't over till the fat lady summons Valkyries down on the last Pretender standing.

Also, there is no way of coordinating attacks in the same province.Click target province, 'y'

TUTORIAL!

J.B.
22-10-2011, 02:46 PM
So, I finally pulled my finger out and got the next part of my write-up done. Turns 1-4 are now live. I'll try and do some more this weekend.

I've only got links to images as I'm having issues with image sizing vs the narrow format of the blog page. I'll continue to look into it.

Nullkigan
22-10-2011, 03:05 PM
If you get a tool called RightLoad, it should automatically create thumbnails of anything you upload using it, as well as giving you typical image only/thumbnail which links to image code for HTML and forums? It might be possible to tweak it to resize to page width instead of thumbnail size, too.

Zyrden
24-10-2011, 12:09 AM
I've just written word number 10322, with lucky #10k being "is". 58173 signs with spaces so far, ad 245 screens.
I've also got this nagging fear that I'm falling behind on research, and I'll get nuked soon.
And I still can't get the highscore in the Hall of Fame. Stupid bull :/

pakoito
24-10-2011, 12:38 AM
So, I finally pulled my finger out and got the next part of my write-up done. Turns 1-4 are now live. I'll try and do some more this weekend.What's the link to your site?

J.B.
24-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Sent you a PM with the link, pakoito.

pakoito
02-11-2011, 09:22 PM
We're looking for noobs in the shrapnel forums for a Cataclysm match. The modrules are different this time: no factions, all units, spells and pretenders available for everyone; and every province has lvl 0 magic places to recruit special units.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?p=787651

riadsala
19-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Well, things are certainly interesting now. So many options and choices. I think I know who my monies on to win the game though :(

J.B.
27-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I finally put up a post with turns 5-8. More to come.

I solved my picture problem, consequently this post turned out to be more pics than text. I'll try to strike a better balance from here on out!

Shout if you want the link.

Vexing Vision
28-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Can I has link? :D

The game is CERTAINLY becoming rather interesting. Now all I need is another plan.

Nullkigan
28-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Still 30 :(

There was a new multiperspective AAR going up on SomethingAwful, but it's on hiatus.

riadsala
28-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Still 30 :(

There was a new multiperspective AAR going up on SomethingAwful, but it's on hiatus.

If you can afford it, and you like long form multiplayer games, then you should just buy it. I put off buying it for over a year, then finally picked it up so I could join this game. I'm currently half way through my first game, and figure money well spent :)

J.B.
28-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Can I has link? :D

The game is CERTAINLY becoming rather interesting. Now all I need is another plan.

Nice try =p

And I'm in need of a new plan too!