PDA

View Full Version : Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection Review

redox
08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
"Everyone wins with this collection. I don't know of a fan of Team Ico's games that wouldn't kill to play them again in high-definition at 1080p, not to mention with added Trophy support and a 3D option. If you're like me, and have played each of these games a few times, you'll probably forget that you're playing a PS2 game most of the time. Both games really look so good that they feel new. I'm sure that current fans of these games needed no convincing, so I'll stop here. Oh, but you've got to see the colossi in 3D! Borrow a 3D television if you must."

Full review - http://www.destructoid.com/review-ico-and-shadow-of-the-colossus-collection-210885.phtml

Anyone else going to buy this collection?

Rii
08-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Anyone else going to buy this collection?

Yes. I haven't played either title before so this is a wonderful opportunity and I'm glad that by all accounts Sony have put in the work to do the remastering properly, unlike certain other *cough* Ubisoft *cough* HD re-releases.

I intend to pick up the Metal Gear Solid HD collection also, even though that's not all new to me.

Anthile
08-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are out of print and the only way to get them is buying used copies for ridiculous prices. This is a real boon for all the people who haven't played those yet.

Kaira-
08-09-2011, 07:47 PM
If only I had PS3 I'd definetly pick it up. Somehow missed both games on PS2 and now it's a complete pain in the ass to try and find either of them at a reasonable price.

Wooly Wugga Wugga
08-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Now if only someone would give me a PS3.

laneford
08-09-2011, 11:12 PM
I have both on PS2 but thanks to the wondrous decision of Sony to remove backwards compatability, this is the only way I can play them now.

(what am I kidding, I'd buy this anyway)

Looking forward to getting lost in them again. All time classics.

wcaypahwat
09-09-2011, 01:38 AM
I was lucky enough to find a pre owned collectors edition of SotC for $30, in near mint condition. Seriously considering picking up a PS3 this weekend though, so this is a must-buy title if I do.

Xercies
09-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Yes, never played ICO so am wondering about it. Loved, Loved, Loved SotC, though I got stuck on that annoying horse colossus, hopefully I can do better this time.

Harlander
09-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Is there anything in PS3 emulation about yet?

Rii
09-09-2011, 02:53 PM

I doubt there ever will be tbh. The modern systems are too complicated for tinkerers to get far with it themselves. By the time it's possible I suspect there'll be no point in that there'll be hardware emulation or official software emulation on successor platforms or simply disinterest in the field for one reason or another.

Joseph
09-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Never owned a PlayStation but always wanted to play Shadow of the Colossus.

Rii
10-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Eurogamer's Digital Foundry has an exhaustive technical analysis of the remakes available here (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-hd-collection). Set nerdery to maximum!

pakoito
10-09-2011, 01:51 PM
If only I had PS3 I'd definetly pick it up. Somehow missed both games on PS2 and now it's a complete pain in the ass to try and find either of them at a reasonable price.
If you have a decent gaming rig you can easily play both on emulator, AAx16HQ, 1080p

Track
10-09-2011, 03:14 PM
I have a copy of SOTC that I got for cheap (somehow) lying around somewhere, but I never played it for some reason that I honestly cant fathom at this point. So yes, I will be getting this. I also just want to take this chance to point out that I would buy the MGS HD collection in a heartbeat if they had included the freaking first game. I seriously do not understand the logic there, especially considering that (I believe) one of the releases (maybe the japanese one?) IS getting an HD version of the first game. So, they have it sitting there. They're just not putting it in the collection. Having never played any of the games, this makes it a bit useless for me.

Xercies
10-09-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm thinking that maybe Nintendo had a bit of a hand in that since one of there games is also a re-release of the 1st game so they might have not been to pleased that one that probably everyone would buy is also coming out. Though that is pure speculation on my part.

Kaira-
10-09-2011, 05:29 PM
If you have a decent gaming rig you can easily play both on emulator, AAx16HQ, 1080p

I'm not really a fan of emulating console games on PC, it just "plays" wrong. :P

pakoito
10-09-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm not really a fan of emulating console games on PC, it just "plays" wrong. :P

In this case graphically it plays better than the original, and I can bet the remake. And gameplay-wise, you can use any gamepad you like, even wiimote.

redox
11-09-2011, 01:27 AM

In what way? Keyboard vs pad?

wcaypahwat
11-09-2011, 06:07 AM
With the metal gear solid collection, the Japanese version just gets a code to download the PSN store version of the first game, and they miss out on Peacewalker. So it's just one of the emulated 'PSone classic' games, not a HD remake.

While we're at it, what are some PS3 games I should Most Definately buy?

Xercies
11-09-2011, 11:13 AM
MGS4
Uncharted 1&2
Valkyria Chronicles
Little Big Planet

And I can't think of anything else at the top of my head

Rii
11-09-2011, 11:35 AM
My list of PS3 stuffs to get that I'm working through:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Wipeout HD
Flower
Red Dead Redemption
Heavy Rain
Valkyria Chronicles
Uncharted 2
Catherine
L.A. Noire
Vanquish
Child of Eden
Shadow of the Colossus / ICO HD
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
The Last Guardian
Journey

El Shaddai also recently caught my eye although I'm not yet prepared to add it to The List ™.

Course there are others that get recommendations depending on tastes ... like LBP/2, God of War III, Bayonetta, GT5, Demon/Dark Souls, etc.

laneford
11-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Demon's souls!

redox
12-09-2011, 01:04 AM
With the metal gear solid collection, the Japanese version just gets a code to download the PSN store version of the first game, and they miss out on Peacewalker. So it's just one of the emulated 'PSone classic' games, not a HD remake.

While we're at it, what are some PS3 games I should Most Definately buy?

Apart from some of the games mentioned above by Rii, I have to recommend NIER. It's not a PS3 exclusive, but it's definitely worth a play.

The metascore for this game doesn't do it justice.

Review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvFNwLxu7XI

wcaypahwat
12-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Thanks guys. Think I'll add red dead, uncharted and nier to what I already got. Possibly demon souls if I can find it at a reasonable price ($100 pre-owned? no thanks!). At least I can import from anywhere I want.

Back on topic...kindof. I hope this is a trend that takes off. There's so many older games I loved, but just can't play on a modern TV, and plenty I missed out on from the PSone/N64 era, since half the games were never even released in PAL territory.

Rii
15-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Possibly demon souls if I can find it at a reasonable price ($100 pre-owned? no thanks!)

OzGameShop has it for AUD $24 delivered (http://www.ozgameshop.com/ps3-games/demons-souls-game-ps3).

Mind you the sequel (Dark Souls) will be out shortly...

cjlr
15-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Mind you the sequel (Dark Souls) will be out shortly...

And the Demon's Souls multiplayer servers will be turned off that very day. You can play it offline but it's far from as fun.

You guys mentioned a lot of the better titles already...

wcaypahwat - you've probably already done so, but maybe it's worth checking the playstation store for some old psone titles? The selection's not bad these days (but of course, it's still hundreds out of thousands of released titles). Cheaper than tracking down used copies, too, though you can play psone games on ps3 with the disc.

Resistance - the first one - is just about my favourite console FPS, which I can hesitantly recommend so long as you keep in mind the words console, FPS, what they mean, and what they mean together...

Rii
15-09-2011, 01:27 AM
And the Demon's Souls multiplayer servers will be turned off that very day. You can play it offline but it's far from as fun.

... wow. Even EA isn't that evil. I'd already decided that the games weren't for me but there goes any chance of reconsidering that judgement.

cjlr
15-09-2011, 06:32 AM
It IS a dick move. I can almost understand it, though. From Software is kinda small, they'd rather not spend the money. It's been two years, and and Dark Souls is supposed to be, like, the 'replacement'... I'd guess there are only a few thousand people playing any given night these days, but it's probably tens of thousands globally.

Still, the original NA run was very small, and the re-release has only been out for a year here; the EU version has also only been out a bit longer than that (16 months?). That's a stupidly short lifetime for any game, let alone one that good.

Rii
15-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't have a lot of sympathy for devs/pubs on this score. It was their choice to design the game as they did knowing the ongoing burdens it would impose upon them, just as it was their choice to deny gamers the ability to host dedicated servers themselves.

Also, added Child of Eden to my list.

Xercies
15-09-2011, 08:38 PM
I would like to know what good multiplayer/Co-op games are on the PS3, going to get me an extra controller and start having some games with me girlfriend :)

redox
16-09-2011, 12:29 AM
I would like to know what good multiplayer/Co-op games are on the PS3, going to get me an extra controller and start having some games with me girlfriend :)

Then you've got to buy some BUZZ! games.
Also, Portal 2.

Xercies
16-09-2011, 09:30 AM
I wa thinking of Portal 2 but then I thought it would be a betrayel of PCs to get it on a dirty consle lol ;)

Jorum
16-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Harlander

I doubt there ever will be tbh. The modern systems are too complicated for tinkerers to get far with it themselves. By the time it's possible I suspect there'll be no point in that there'll be hardware emulation or official software emulation on successor platforms or simply disinterest in the field for one reason or another.
That's a shame. Not sure I can justify buying a PS3 just for handful of games I'd be interested in. Someone should start a business doing console rentals (like TVs were back in the day).

Xercies
16-09-2011, 01:44 PM
I thought that was Blockbusters MO now a days if they still exist.

Jorum
16-09-2011, 01:49 PM
I thought that was Blockbusters MO now a days if they still exist.
I meant the actual console, not the games. Unless they do that now? Fuck knows the last time tried to rent anything (since I bought a mediaplayer box DVDs seem quaint)

wcaypahwat
16-09-2011, 02:34 PM
My store doesn't hire out actual consoles. Not 100% sure why, guessing the profit:risk of theft ratio is too out of balance.

I justified my console purchase with the fact I was after a new media unit (plus there were a few exclusives I wanted to check out). Harder for you, since you already have your media box.

To be honest though, these games are worth checking out even on their ps2 versions... so if they ever got emulation right on those it might be worth looking into. *as long as you fit all the legally ambiguous requirements beforehand, of course

Xercies
16-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Ah kind of misread you there, yeah that could be great but you would have trouble with what if people just kept the system.

I really kind of regret getting a PS3 I haven't played much of it, I keep meaning to get some games and a controller but really its just money I have to spend which I don't know whether will be worth it.

deano2099
16-09-2011, 03:29 PM
I have a copy of SOTC that I got for cheap (somehow) lying around somewhere, but I never played it for some reason that I honestly cant fathom at this point. So yes, I will be getting this. I also just want to take this chance to point out that I would buy the MGS HD collection in a heartbeat if they had included the freaking first game. I seriously do not understand the logic there, especially considering that (I believe) one of the releases (maybe the japanese one?) IS getting an HD version of the first game. So, they have it sitting there. They're just not putting it in the collection. Having never played any of the games, this makes it a bit useless for me.

It's a much bigger job to get the first game up to standard as it's two generations old. The others are PS2 or PSP games. The Japan release just has a code to download the emulated version off the PSN, which you can get anyway for $10.

sabrage
16-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Dedicated servers wouldn't really work with Demon's Souls style of multiplayer... Just saying

Rii
17-09-2011, 07:52 PM
It's a much bigger job to get the first game up to standard as it's two generations old.

Funny thing is that MGS1 was already given a makeover by Silicon Knights for the GCN release The Twin Snakes. Safe to say it's currently caught in rights hell alas...

Xercies
17-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Unfortunately from what i heard it actually kind of didn't work since they did all the improvements of MGS2 with the first person view and that but didn't change the game because of it, which made it wildly easier!

sabrage
18-09-2011, 12:27 AM
The first Metal Gear Solid holds up today and is well worth playing. I beat it probably about a year and a half ago for the first time and I loved every minute of it. I would imagine that the balance in The Twin Snakes is pretty awful, though.

Speaking of which, Vanquish has a lot of homages to Metal Gear (Gray Fox, DARPA, a lot of UI elements) and is easily my favorite game this year. I guess my only real complaint about it is it somewhat suffers from "shoot the big glowing weak point!" syndrome but it is a game that very much embraces what a GAME it is, if that makes sense. Not as arcadey as I thought it would be either.