PDA

View Full Version : Pride of Nations - Grand Strategy for $20

I'm Who's Counting
06-06-2011, 02:51 PM
So this is coming out tomorrow/today.

There was a preview by Tim Stone on the front page a few weeks ago.

For $20, it looks like a pretty good deal.

4000 word Review (http://www.wargamer.com/article/3036/pride-of-nations)

Gamersgate (http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-PON/pride-of-nations)

Forum (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?558-Pride-of-Nations)

Oak
06-06-2011, 04:31 PM
I've been putting off the demo because think make brain hurt, but I know I'm going to buy it anyway.

vinraith
06-06-2011, 04:33 PM
On Gamersgate, at least (don't know about other places) preordering also nets you the Spanish American War DLC free. The mere existence of Spanish American War DLC was enough to sell me, honestly.

J.B.
06-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Yeah preordered from GamersGate a couple of days ago. Sitting here with bated breath now.

Also, vinraith, your new avatar disturbs me greatly. Thanks.

I'm Who's Counting
07-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Out on Gamersgate. I don't know whose idea it was to release during E3, there's like a million other announcements coming out that will swamp this.

winterwolves
07-06-2011, 07:50 AM
I'm keeping an eye on this even if I'll probably wait on the classic Steam sale... I don't have time to play it now anyway!

Kelron
07-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm still trying to get to grips with Rise of Prussia, and I'm sure this will introduce a whole pile of new mechanics to learn.

oatish
07-06-2011, 08:13 PM
2.5 years ago I didn't even know these types of games existed...

now I don't have close to enough time to play all of the most interesting ones...

I would say it's cruel but it mostly just makes me secretly wish for a mild work accident. NOT HAND RELATED THOUGH.

amandachen
07-06-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm waiting a while. Waiting for the inevitable patches. Even so, looks like a great game.

Monty
08-06-2011, 02:27 AM
I can report that the music is marvellous.

I'll report on more aspects of the game when I'm about half way through in, oh, 840 turns.

Oak
08-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Who're you playing as? I'm wondering if Britain might be too much to handle for a first game.

Monty
08-06-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm playing as Prussia. It seems like a good choice for a first game to me being relatively small so with less stuff to handle, yet with great potential, plenty of important resources and a strong military off the bat.

That said, I may give up and sidle over to the Americans as I'll have Injun thwacking to occupy my time until the South rebels.

Alikchi
08-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Beginning my Russian game: now.

amandachen
08-06-2011, 07:34 AM
How long do you have to wait between turns? Anyone seen the game chug-chug and slow down? Just curious.

Lightbulb
08-06-2011, 05:18 PM
My brother got it today (he loves these kinds of game, i dabble) he's got a Q6600, 4 gig ram and his turns take about 1 to 1.5 minutes so he told me today...

I'm Who's Counting
10-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Turn time is about 1 to 1.5 minutes.

The UI is pretty clunky, but they nailed the atmosphere and detail. If you like that sort of thing, then no question this is a great game.

amandachen
10-06-2011, 10:34 AM
I mean, this is what irritates me with this sort of game. These huge waits between turns. It's lazy, inefficient programming (if it's not that, then what can it be? someone cast an evil spell? bad alignment of the planets?). Yeah, I know it happens in real life games. For example, when playing chess against a human. But that doesn't mean you have to model it. That's a bizarre idea. Just because it's a turn-based game, doesn't mean you have to make me feel those turns.

Streamline the code. Have AI threads doing something useful while I'm pondering my move. There's plenty of processing power in a modern home computer to get the damn game to respond within two seconds. To be honest, this should be classed as a bug that needs fixing fast.

I love this type of game, Paradox type of games, but these various developers need to spend a little money to hire a good coder for a month, someone who can fix these inefficient, unresponsive engines. Yeah, right! What's going to happen? Someone's going to announce a new game based on a new engine that's even more damn slow.