PDA

View Full Version : 16 PC Questions can u Help me

XAuTomaT1CX
14-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Any Help Is appreaciated

I Read somewhere that windows slows down your pc over time (Some Linux Blog), I'm not sure if he was being serious or a techie hipster douche. anyway I was wondering how I can make my computer the way it was ''originally'' was, original speed, I'm currently using Advanced System Care Pro (cleans registry and defrags hard drive and etc.) & Gamebooster 3 ?

is paid antivirus neccesary and if so would it be worth the time to pirate antivirus (I'm not worried about downloading a virus, I'm not a pirating rookie), anyway how often do antivirus companys update there software I won't pay for antivirus so any pirate argument is wasting your time?

what is the advantage of flashing bios, how do I flash my bios, should I do this when I first build my pc and set up bios and install drivers?

is there a way I can transfer data from one computer to another without using the cloud or an external hard drive?

is there any Advantages to formatting a hard drive?

what's a hard drive patrition, what's the advantage to using one?

is ubantu or any other linux os worth using (casual user with windows already), if so how can I dual boot?

Is it normal to have you cpu usage to go from 15% to 30% when just looking at task manager and then to 90% when you open too tabs or some other thing, should I be concerned?

is there a easy way to organize all my files, like a file manager of some sorts?

does anyone use any IRC chat programs, if so which ones. do you know any good chat rooms, just to talk about random stuff music, movies, current events, thoughts etc. just looking for somewhere to real time chat with people, I missed out on the msn craze (Console kiddie @ time who couldn't even use a computer)?

is there a way I can keep track of all the mods I download for games like a mod manager like desura but It can detect or I can manually add a shortcut of some kind?

is there a way I can keep track of all the saves for my games, sometimes there in my documents sometimes there in my computer sometimes there in an ini file, anyway is there away?

I was wondering if there was a forum manager, that way I can use less ram not having multiples open at once, and I can check them playing games?

can someone recommend me an desktop rss feed reader that isn't feed demon (if it synchronizes with google reader it's a plus but I will transfer my rss feeds if no one can?

how long would it take to learn a program like autodesk maya, i'm kinda of interested in modding and making good games?

should I learn c++ or c+ or html or java, is it neccesary, I don't plan on going into software development, does it have any advantages for the semi hardcore computer person like myself?

Why do people overclock, a decent cpu fan is 30$ worth the 15% increase (I know some games are cpu dependant but not many, anyway u risk your part dying, some games can experience major problems, I want to know if there is something I missed, why not just put the money into a better video card or future upgrade, it doesn't seem like the hastle for the regular gamer (1500$ Machine) not trying to troll?

Wolfenswan
14-09-2011, 12:40 PM
google, google and google. don't rely on stuff people tell you in forums.

Antivirus: It really depends what you want your antivirus to do. Some people need the extra stuff a paid suit gives you, others don't. I've am very happy with my free version of avast and the occasional check with a spyware-finder (like spybot s&d or ad-aware). Most Anti-Virus clients are updated daily or every second day and pirating AntiVirus suits is idiotic as it defeats the purpose

is there a way I can transfer data from one computer to another without using the cloud or an external hard drive Local Network, Mail, Local Network via Hamachi, Dropbox. Again: Google. What do you mean with "the cloud"?

is there any Advantages to formatting a hard drive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_formatting
A full format basically resets your disc to it's useable post-factory state. You only want to do that if you're installing a completely fresh OS or have a really really nasty virus.

what's a hard drive patrition, what's the advantage to using one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning
Basically you split up your big chunk of HD space into smaller ones. Had it's big advantages, nowaday i'd just make to sure to keep the system/OS files on it's own partition as damage to it may make formatting necessary and thus the files on that partition would be wiped.

is ubantu or any other linux os worth using (casual user with windows already), if so how can I dual boot Ubuntu is a sleak, easy to use environment. If you want to play games stick to windows, if you're mainly interested in office work, watching stuff etc consider Ubuntu. You can download a Live-CD with which you can boot and test Ubuntu without having to install anything. Ubuntu installed on a Windows installation automatically sets up dual boot.

Is it normal to have you cpu usage to go from 15% to 30% when just looking at task manager and then to 90% when you open too tabs or some other thing, should I be concernedDoes it stay at 90%? If so, you might have spyware or some other malicious software. Use Spybot S&D to check for infections. Might try a programm "hijack this" too.

is there a easy way to organize all my files, like a file manager of some sorts can't really follow you here. sort in which way? there's file commander but that's more of a poweruser tool. I'm fine with the explorer.

is there a way I can keep track of all the saves for my games, sometimes there in my documents sometimes there in my computer sometimes there in an ini file, anyway is there away
None that i know off, but there might be. Check google.

I was wondering if there was a forum manager, that way I can use less ram not having multiples open at once, and I can check them playing gamesWhat browser are you using? Both firefox and chrome don't use too much ram. Having them open shouldn't be a big impact perfomance wise if you have 4 or even only 2 GB of RAM.

can someone recommend me an desktop rss feed reader that isn't feed demon (if it synchronizes with google reader it's a plus but I will transfer my rss feeds if no one canDoesn't Feed Deamon synchronize with Google Reader? I've used RSSowl but prefer Feed Deamon as it's faster and less straining.

how long would it take to learn a program like autodesk maya, i'm kinda of interested in modding and making good games, no idea, check dedicated forums.

should I learn c++ or c+ or html or java, is it neccesary, I don't plan on going into software development, does it have any advantages for the semi hardcore computer person like myselfHTML is super basic and can be learned in a few days. Everything else depends on what you want to do later on. Java isn't half bad, PHP is useful for advanced coding as well as C++. You do realize that you'll need to know a language like C++ for programming games?

CMaster
14-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Wow ok. That's a lot of (badly formatted) questions.

It's not really Window's fault. It's just the way computers are, the more crap you accumulate, the slower it goes. So the simple advice is: Don't install junk - toolbars, proprietary apps etc, anything you don't need. Don't let anything you can prevent run on startup (the system tray, the bit near your clock should have an absolute minimum amount of icons in it). Uninstall things you no longer need (applies less to games, but some stuff should go when you no longer need it).
Pirating an antivirus isn't really very clever, but thankfullly there is no need to. There are two free and effective anti-virus software out there - AVG Free and Avast!. Just make sure to ensure the genuinely free versions and not the trial versions of the paid for, filled with crap you don't need.
Flashing your bios is something you only do when your existing bios doesn't support some of your hardware. This used to happen reasonably often with hard drives, but these days, it is very unlikely you need to do it. Every time you flash your BIOS, you run the risk of something going wrong and effectively bricking your motherboard. Don't do it unless you need to.
Yeah, networking. Hook both computers up to your router, and right click on the folder with the stuff you want to copy and go to the sharing options. Fiddle around with those until its shared on the network. This is easier if all the PCs are running the same OS, but it can be done otherwise. With Windows 7 there's some stuff about the "home group" which makes this easier. You should be able to find guides on the net. Make sure you aren't running any software firewalls that interfere with this.
The main advantage to formatting a hard drive is that you can use it. Formatting basically means arranging the HDD in a predictable way so it can be read. Any new HDD will need to be formatted before it can be used (Windows will take care of this when you install if it isn't formatted). If you ever want to "start over" with a HDD, then you can reformat it, loosing all data stored on it in the process.
Partitioning means exactly what it says - chopping the drive up into parts, that can then be formatted and used separately. Again, all HDDs need partitioning, but default is to make the entire thing one partition. You can split up your HDD if you see some purpose in it, but generally it isn't necessary.
Depends what you are interested in. I'll let other forum members with more experience fill you in, but if gaming is your main interest, then Linux is probably worth passing by.
Depends if it stays at 90%, or just spikes. You want your computer to be going flat out when you ask it to do something, means it is getting it done ASAP. However if it sits at 90% the whole time you are browsing the web, that's probably a bad thing.
Press windows key and E at the same time to bring up windows explorer. If you want a visual representation of stuff, you can try SpaceMonger. Other than that, file management is your own responsibility - install stuff in sensible places - which isn't always where they want to install (always hit "custom" during an installation process). Save your work where you'll remember it - in say, "school" or "finance" inside your "my documents" folder.
MIRC is the classic windows IRC client. You can get plugin IRC clients for some browsers, like Chatzilla for Firefox. You can also join the RPS steam group and join us on RPS chat. Again, other users might be able to give better recommendations.
Nope, not for all mods for all games. Some games (Fallout 3 for example) have built in mod managers. Others have mods that manage other mods (Minecraft). Different for every game, and often for different types of mod within a game.
Hah! We'd all like that. No, other than lobbying every game developer to save all games to "my documents\my games" you just have to keep track I'm afraid :(
Some forums will let you subscribe via email. Some sites have an RSS feed, that you can use a reader to track. But in general, nothing that easy.
Sorry, don't use any.
Depends on persistence, talent, what you want to achieve etc. I'd say your best bet is to give it a try, read some tutorials, see how far you get.
None of those things are necessary. An understanding of the Windows or Linux command line and simple scripts can make your life easier and is easy to acquire. Some (very basic) HTML knowledge will let you make fancier posts on the RPS comments thread and elsewhere. Maybe you'll find you want these skills to achieve something, but no, not necessary.
Partly because they can, because people love making numbers bigger. But also, you can easily take, say the currently fashionable i5-2500k, and overclock it so it performs much better than the i7-2600k which costs more than a hundred dollars more. A $1500 machine isn't regular games though, a $1500, is a seriously expensive machine. $600-800 gets you a perfectly good gaming box (no monitor, peripherals) easily.

And yeah, look this shit up, I've only given you the briefest of overviews here, but there are tutorials and guides for <i>everything</i> on the net.

Althea
14-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Firstly, Gamebooster and its ilk are unnecessary. If they do any real 'boosting' to your PC, then you've got a problem somewhere down the line that Gamebooster just isn't going to fix. You might have an unnecessary programme clogging up your system, Firefox might have a broken add-on or you may be on a site that eats up your memory.

Secondly, a perfectly good free AV suite is Microsoft Security Essentials. I've used it for a number of years alongside the Windows Firewall, Firefox (Or Opera), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot, and I've had no serious infections. Careful, sensible browsing and downloading will, 99 times out of 100, protect you from viruses.

Lukasz
14-09-2011, 03:02 PM
about partitions.

Its useful to have a hard drive divided into 2 or more partitions. Cause you can format one without worrying about the loss of data on another partition.

One just for system.
another one for data like music, videos
and another for games, programs.

I format regularly once a year my system partition. just so it runs nicely and there is no unneeded crap which accumulated over a year in registry, system folders. It also breaks some programs which are installed on a d drive, preventing them from working. its a good thing as anything I might need I can simply reinstall while a program I used once but forgot about it, does not consume resources by autorunning or simply being there in the system (like apple shitty itune program)

pakoito
14-09-2011, 05:28 PM
You do realize that you'll need to know a language like C++ for programming games?Wrong.

Gamemaker, gamesalad, Unity...

The JG Man
14-09-2011, 06:11 PM
The only question I can conceivably help with is the anti-virus. The rather spiffing and no hassle Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx) has been fine for me, my best friend, my parent's PC and to a few others I've recommended. Completely free, not a system drainer.

Everything else, well...yeah.

KaiserBob
14-09-2011, 06:47 PM
should I learn c++ or c+ or html or java, is it neccesary, I don't plan on going into software development, does it have any advantages for the semi hardcore computer person like myself?

You are not a semi hardcore computer person. You have to ask on a forum about what a hard drive partition is.

That is all.

Smashbox
14-09-2011, 07:19 PM
'ey, be nice.

XAuTomaT1CX
14-09-2011, 10:00 PM
You are not a semi hardcore computer person. You have to ask on a forum about what a hard drive partition is.

That is all.

meant semi hardcore pc gamer

pakoito
14-09-2011, 10:05 PM
meant semi hardcore pc gamer Has x surrounding his nicks, looks legit.

Wolfenswan
14-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Wrong.

Gamemaker, gamesalad, Unity...

you're right, my answer was a bit short.

XAuTomaT1CX
15-09-2011, 01:36 AM
haha, AuTomaT1C was taken

DigitalSignalX
15-09-2011, 07:28 PM
These questions are rather fundamental to computer science as a whole and can easily be explained in depth by a free or low cost course. Public libraries and electronic stores sometimes offer them, not to mention a local community college or trade school. If you want to stay at home, there are thousands of free resources online. Microsofts MSDN site answers basically every question you could ever possibly have about windows and how it works and includes online tutorials. There are also hundreds of superb tech blogs aimed at every level of learning. Google really is your friend here.