PDA

View Full Version : LOTRO Pickup

Xercies
14-09-2011, 07:27 PM
So LOTRO is Free 2 Play, it has an expansion coming out soon. I've already got the Moria expansion on me so I think I can get up to 65. So I was wondering who wants to start at the beginning with me, go through the newbie to maybe Moria. Could make a guild.

Or who already has the game and wouldn't mind someone tagging along? Come on I'm sure there are a few of you out there :)

Here be spreadsheet to put yourself down and organise things:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

Rakysh
23-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I realise it's has been a while since this was posted, but I've only ever brought one character to thirty odd and would be interested in having someone to quest with and such for a new char.

Squiz
23-09-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm posting this everywhere, but what the heck. I would help out if it is F2P and not too time intensive.

Rakysh
29-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Bumpity bump bump. So, anyone interested feel free to add me on steam (name's Rakysh there, helpfully) and we'll see what we can sort.

Gorm
29-09-2011, 07:01 PM
I'd be interested in this.

Rakysh
29-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Ace, what's your steam name?

Xercies
29-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I don't know whether since with uni starting again I should play this again, I really want to...but time you know...

Rakysh
30-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Any strong feelings on server? Laurelin would suit me nicely.

EDIT: And yes, you should totally join in.

Squiz
30-09-2011, 07:48 AM
I have already talked to Rakysh yesterday, I will join in for the on-and-off middleearthiness. There are no certain roles/builds I prefer, tanking suits me just as fine as healing. Maybe I'll have a look at some wiki or forums to get an idea of how the available classes play.

Since I've never played this game before I am fine with any server you guys decide on. Don't know if any of you are from the US but an EU-based server would probably be better for me (Germany here).

Edit: Ok, forget what I said. Lore-masters can summon squirrels as cosmetic pets! If it somehow fits in, I am totally going with Lore-master!

Gorm
30-09-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm fine with playing Ranger, already have 3 characters over level 25. I think, havent played for a long long time.
Ranger is good fun, any idea if the crafting system has changed recently? We could plan our crafting choices to allow little overlap.

Xercies
30-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Ok Ok, I'll be a tank :D

Rakysh
30-09-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm intending to play a human captain (rolled him earlier this morning actually), which means we have support, tank, dps and crowd control, two of which can serve as off-healers if necessary. Crafting wise, I intend to go as a historian (potions, swords and vegetables basically).

Gorm
30-09-2011, 04:42 PM
I dont remember the crafting exactly but i'll go with the one that lets me cure leather, cut down trees and make bows and spears.

Squiz
30-09-2011, 05:33 PM
I have no idea what crafting line I should pick. Would appreciate some recommendations.

Edit: Oh, and it seems as if I have to decide between Elves and Men as my race. I hate Elves with a passion, so Man it shall probably be.

Gorm
30-09-2011, 05:47 PM
No idea on my race pick, doesnt matter too much for ranger i dont think. Might make an elf since i've never had one, because i also hate the pretty boy bastards.

LowKey
30-09-2011, 05:56 PM
hey ho gents, Gorm has twisted my arm and convinced me to get involved, now I used to play bard and burglar, I prefer that sneaky wee chap but I can play bard if we need the healer? We should set up a spreadsheet like the D&DO guys as thats working pretty well

Rakysh
30-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Good plan.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?pli=1&key=0AtQcU-aL6_3OdHo2T3lhdEZLYTNBSjJaSmttUjY4eWc&hl=en_US#gid=0

Squiz
01-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Installed the game last night. Which server do we want to play on? Laurelin seems to be a roleplay server. Does that mean we have to stay in role the whole time? Could be interesting, but I guess it would be tiresome after a while / would complicate communication.

Haven't rolled a character yet but had a peek at the chargeneration. Man, this game could use some decent face designs. Same with DDO btw. Even the Elves are ugly.

LowKey
01-10-2011, 09:38 AM
we wouldnt have to roleplay in a group, it seems iv lost all my log in details for my previous account, back to square one for me!

LowKey
01-10-2011, 10:17 AM
also I know gorm has some fairly levelled players so it may be we should play on the server he has them on? not sure if it matters

Gerbick
01-10-2011, 11:05 AM
I'll join in too. Will have to reinstall, and try to remember login.

Gorm
01-10-2011, 11:09 AM
What ever server is okay with me. A new start will stop me giving my character a headstart with equiptment.

EDIT: Also i am having trouble converting my account to a Turbine account, i dont remember the password and it wont let me set a new one. I emailed Turbine and they said i should email Codemasters. But when i email codemasters it doesnt work, says it cant connect to the network or something. I assume its a strange China thing and not a Codemasters thing so i'll sling them an email when i get back to home shores.

Squiz
01-10-2011, 11:17 AM
What ever server is okay with me. A new start will stop me giving my character a headstart with equiptment.Actually, this could come in handy though. I don't know much about progression speed and such in LotRo but it would be lovely if we were not forced to grind equipment for our low-mid level adventures.

Gorm
01-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Its not too bad, we should be able to get by without them. But my captain is fairly high level and can make bladed weapons and i have another two characters who can make different types of armour.

Rakysh
01-10-2011, 01:38 PM
I've already got a Guardian on that server (which is light RP, you don't have to stay in character) who can help out with armour and cash and such. I'm afraid I sortof went ahead and worked through the intro area, which is mostly instanced anyway, so a change in server wouldn't be ideal.

Gerbick, if you could whack your details on the spreadsheet that'd be ace.

Gorm
01-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Okay i made my elf hunter, he is called Fellbow..... I couldnt think of a good name. If someone wants to update my spreadsheet details that'd be cool.

Squiz
01-10-2011, 06:19 PM
I am set too. Made my character and did a few tutorial quests. Don't know if I have to go on in order to meet you other guys though. I am in the Humans startertown (I think I saw a Hobbit too) and ready for adventure. ;)

Gorm
01-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Yea Humans and Hobbits start in the same place. I remember when it was different, but there you go.

Squiz
01-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Updated the spreadsheet, also adjusted your name Gorm. ;)

Rakysh
01-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Cool. I've added you both as friends in game.

Taidan
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm up for a bit of this, I'll have to see if I can get into my old account. Any classes you're particularly short on at the moment? (I'm a natural-born healer, but happy to fill any role.)

Squiz
01-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Hey there, weve got a spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?pli=1&key=0AtQcU-aL6_3OdHo2T3lhdEZLYTNBSjJaSmttUjY4eWc&hl=en_US#gid=0) for organizing things and I think we are lacking a healer as yet. :)

Taidan
01-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Then I'm a BAAAARD, I'm a BAAAARD, suck my LUUUUUTE, I'm a BAAAARD!

I'll post again with a character name when I've either recovered my Codemasters account or started a Turbine one.

Squiz
01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
So, when shall we have our first session?

Gorm
01-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Any time after Tuesday would be great for me.

Rakysh
01-10-2011, 07:46 PM
I think once people have solo'd their way through the newbie areas we might be able to get something proper organised. The first group instances don't start to appear around level 20 though.

Taidan
01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Just discovered I did actually install the Mines of Moria expansion, so I've gone with a Rune-Keeper called... Taidan.

Rakysh
01-10-2011, 08:39 PM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?pli=1&key=0AtQcU-aL6_3OdHo2T3lhdEZLYTNBSjJaSmttUjY4eWc&hl=en_US#gid=0 To the spreadsheet! THE SPREADSHEET IS KING!

Gerbick
02-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Gerbick, if you could whack your details on the spreadsheet that'd be ace.

Will do, as soon as I've reinstalled.

LowKey
02-10-2011, 09:10 AM
I am currently engaging with Turbines customer service to try and reactivate my old account (linked email was closed and I'v lost the password) so I can get some extra goodies, they have been pretty quick and helpful so I am hoping to get on in the next day, if they cant then I will just make a new account again within the next day

Squiz
02-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Ok, some first impressions and thoughts that might be relevant for us.

- Lots of quests. LOTS. And a lot of running to and fro. Conveniently, there are

- Steeds. I am still running around like a sucker, but I am already planning on getting some kind of ride in the near future. I gather they cost quite a bit of money but it seems there is pretty much no alternative if you want to get anywhere in a bearable amount of time. The wiki tells me that you can learn to ride for free via a certain quest after reaching level 20. So there is a first milestone to work towards.

- Houses. Even more expensive, Deluxe Houses that have more features than normal ones are unavailable for F2P players since they cost way more than the 2 gold you are allowed to have. Plus, they cost frigging upkeep. Maybe it would be possible to get a shared home but I am not comfortable with paying (and working for) rent in game. It's not the Sims.

- Storage. There seems to be enough room in the Vault for all kinds of stuff, at least if you just have to store stuff for a single character. If need be I guess you can always make a second F2P account and exchange stuff between characters pretty easily.

- Leveling. Seems to be pretty quick if you know what you're doing. Simple running around doing quests and killing a few critters on the way worked fine for me until now. Doing stuff together should speed things up even more.

Therefore, I suggest that we should get our group together as soon as possible (maybe some more experienced people can share some knowledge on how quickly you can meet up when coming from different starting areas) and see to it that we all hit level 20 in order to get our rides. If anybody (read: Humans and Hobbits) needs help with starter quests, I'll be happy to give you a hand to make things go quicker.

What are your thoughts?

Scilantius
02-10-2011, 11:18 AM
If we're talking about Laurelin here, I have a lvl 20 loremaster there, but was thinking of trying a runekeeper as well. However, my playing time is really erratic, so I am loathe to add myself to the spreadsheet, even moreso because of having only the lvl 20 guy.

I'm a relatively old player, I just about stopped playing after f2p/mirkwood got introduced, so there's new things I don't know, and I've forgotten most of the old :P But if anyone needs anything, or has any questions, I'm very much willing to help.

I guess if it's alright with you guys, I'll add my char somewhere out of the way on the spreadsheet, so you can contact me in game. If it gets inconvenient or whatever, just delete me from the spreadsheet.

Gerbick
02-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Before I roll a new char, is there any class we a in need of?

Rakysh
02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
I think we're basically covered. Pick what interests you.

Taidan
02-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Are we gonna make ourselves a tasty little Guild to get started, or should we try riding on the coattails of an established Guild to get ourselves moving?

There are pros and cons either way, of course, which basically break down into "Having more people around to play at a greater range of times" versus "Having complete control of what goes on in the Guild". For what it's worth, I'm not bothered either way, as we can always tread the other path if our first attempt goes awry.

Also, those little content/quest packs I've seen for sale in the store. I've not played LOTRO since it's gone F2P, and I only ever got to level 25-ish first time around anyway. Are we going to have to buy those at some point? Will we need to sort out which ones we're going to get, or do we wind up buying them all anyway in time?

Are there people here who just won't spend any money on the game at all, for any reason? Are there people who will just shoot in and buy out the entire store? Personally I don't mind the idea of spending real money, as unlike a subscription deal it's not an endlessly recurring deal, and you get to "keep" what you buy for the game's lifetime. However, I would be extremely wary of spending more than... Oh, let's say 8.99 a month to keep playing, plus the odd expansion. (Ex-WoW subscriber.)

Also, what are people actually going to want to achieve in these games? Are people relaxed, playing socially in whatever way the mini-hive takes them, or will we be dragged kicking and screaming by people who are racing to the level cap to dominate the raiding scene? (Relaxed player with submerged obsessive-completist streak here. It'll ramp up to "unbearable" if we reach the level cap.)

My God, these F2P MMOs are a minefield.

Squiz
02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
After spending way too much time with Guild Wars I promised myself not to invest heavily (timewise) in any MMO anymore. I'm doing this for the fun of exploring the world and some bonkers action with nice people adventuring together, so it is very unlikely that you'll see me raiding or even just playing on a fixed schedule.

Since I don't know for how long this game will keep me entertained, I won't invest really much money in extra quest packs (maybe I'll buy one of the bigger expansions like Moria if everybody wants to do a certain questline) and rather get as much fun out of the free content available.

Concerning the whole F2P thing I have to say that I am pretty satisfied with both quality and quantity of the content you get for free. Subscriptions have always been out of the question for me (you either spend too much money or too much time on a game with that) and I pretty much think of this as an experiment to see how things turn out. I think it's a shame that so very few games follow a "purchase once, pay no monthly fees, buy cosmetics if you like" model like Guild Wars did. This alone makes me look forward to GW2's release.

Rakysh
02-10-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm in a similar boat to squirrel re: time commitments, and I've already shelled out for a mount and a quest pack or two. That'll be the extent though. We should do the free content and then see where we are.

Squiz
02-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Just noticed a little error in my post above concerning mounts: You need to buy the riding skill with Turbine Points if you are no "VIP" (read: subscriber). I don't yet know what to think of that, maybe the TP you earn in game are enough for this. If not... yeah, don't really know.

Edit: Maybe this will come in handy for getting TPs: http://lotro.mmorsel.com/2010/08/how-to-earn-turbine-points.html

Xercies
02-10-2011, 03:05 PM
I will probably be getting my character up and ready for this evening, lets see if I can remember my account.

Gorm
02-10-2011, 03:20 PM
I should probably say, if you find items with a green background in the little square they are crafting items. Keep them if you possibly can. Someone will probably need them.
Also i made a strange decision when this game came out and became a life time subscriber, so i am a VIP player, no idea how this changes my experience. Seems like i get random gifts every few levels that only last for around an hour each. But you could use them to good effect. Things like extra health, extra experience, quicker completion of deeds. Also deeds get you turbine points, is this just because i have a VIP account or is it the same for everyone?

Squiz
02-10-2011, 03:34 PM
This is the same for everyone. See the link in my post above (or check the LotRO wiki) for what gives which amount. It is possibly tiresome and inconvenient trying to buy extra content with them (as the packs are quite expensive), but it should be enough for us F2P people to get the riding skill.

However, it is really nice to have a "guaranteed VIP" with us as it removes some obstacles with the money cap (we could transfer money to your account for saving up for expensive stuff).

Gorm
02-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Yes thats right, send me all your money.

Bwhahahahaha

Squiz
02-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Yes thats right, send me all your money.

Bwhahahahaha
And then China saved Capitalism. :)

Scilantius
02-10-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm in the same boat as you with the lifetime subscription Gorm, but I don't really know which random gifts you are referring to - I've never seen any extra buffs or whatever on my characters. And yes, I'm sure some of the amenities can be earned with the deeds - there's quite a lot of them, and each is worth 5 TP and may have multiple tiers as well. Riding should be quite easy to achieve, I imagine, since I saw it costs about 75 TP. I'm thinking you can get that easy until lvl 20. One other thing you can get is the money-cap remover (I don't recall what it's called, but someone mentioned it on chat the other day), which is a bit costlier, and may be grindy,... on the other hand, you could go premium, and get the moneycap removed + bags + I-have-no-idea :P

EDIT:
Well, here's the comparison (http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html) chart,... turns out even if you go premium, your max is 5gold, and you can get the removal via TP. And you don't get the bags,... hmm.

And it looks like this comparison is a bit old, since now you get Ered Luin, Shire, Bree and Lonelands as f2p + monster play as well I believe.

Squiz
02-10-2011, 05:40 PM
It is possible to subscribe for one month though and keep the extra bags and removed money cap as well as other stuff as explained here (section 'D'): http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?351353-Free-2-Play-F-A-Q

Taidan
02-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I think as long as you're not planning on starting multiple alts over time, paying a one-month sub then cancelling again seems to be a cheap way of getting some of the nicer bonuses added, especially considering you get almost 5's worth of points with it anyway.

The only thing that's of concern to me is how this whole "Fast Travel" thing is handled. It looks to me that if you're not a VIP, you have to buy items to temporarily give you the ability to fast-travel outside of the low-level areas, at about 700-800 TPs a month? That would be a pricey luxury.

Also, I can't find any solid information on how much the VIP subscriptions are these days. I'm guessing it's 8.99 still, but the official site and store seems unwilling to tell me until I've actually entered my credit card details...

Xercies
02-10-2011, 10:29 PM
An elf can fast travel a group so most people use them to fast travel a lot of times!

Gorm
03-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Okay, so meet in Bree when the Epic quest takes us there? I haven't had anything to do some i'm level 16, sorry. I have about 4 characters on another server from the low 20's to 52 so if i think hard enough i've probably tried most of the quests atleast once. But they have actually changed up some of them from when i first played at the launch.
If anyone needs help then i'll come along on quests with you.

Have we decided a time to all play together?

Squiz
03-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I'm finding it hard to resist fooling around as well. ;) I think we could start out after Tuesday, since you've mentioned that would be best for you afaik. I will be on holidays (and away from my PC) from Saturday until the 18th though, so you lot go on ahead and I'll join in after my return.

LowKey
03-10-2011, 01:57 PM
I am still waiting to hear back from Turbine, as their in the states ill give them the benefit of the doubt for today but if I dont hear from them by tomorrow morn I will just crack on with a fresh account, so having tuesday to get some levels would be useful for me

Taidan
03-10-2011, 02:38 PM
That sounds good, meet in Bree when the main quest takes us there. There's not really much meaningful group stuff to do before then anyway, I guess.

If it's of any help regarding issues migrating accounts from Codemasters, (and it probably won't be) I found that for their end of the bargain there's no use trying to get anything done.

I tried logging in there with my old password, no joy. Assumed I'd forgotten it, so I "successfully" changed my password, (More on that in a sec) but still couldn't log into my account. Tried again a couple more times, "successfully" changed to a different password each time, but could never log in.

In the end, I went straight to the migration page on Turbine's side, put in what I thought was my original password and username, (not what I'd changed it to on Codemasters) and it worked first time. Migrated straight away, went into my account, and everything was as it should be.

Gerbick
03-10-2011, 07:01 PM
I've updated the spreadsheet with some info. I'll run through the first few quests etc over the next night or so, and will get to Bree.

Motorleague
03-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Room for a small one?

I haven't played for quite some time but I'd be keen for a casual holiday in middle earth (self-catering). I have a freshly rolled hobbit hunter by the name of Motorleague.

Rakysh
03-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Absolutely, here be the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?pli=1&key=0AtQcU-aL6_3OdHo2T3lhdEZLYTNBSjJaSmttUjY4eWc&hl=en_US#gid=0

kingbiscuit
04-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Hey, I'll give this a shot too. Server is Laurelin, right?

Gorm
04-10-2011, 11:24 AM
I had the same problem Taidan.

LowKey
04-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Hey, I'll give this a shot too. Server is Laurelin, right?

you are correct sir

Squiz
04-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Right, things seem to shape up pretty good: By now we've got enough people to run halfway regular groups with enough "spares" and class-wise we should have a pretty even spread. So, let's start arranging dates, shall we?

I am on a pretty tight schedule this week (thanks to some unexpected extra workload), so I might stop by for a few quests but most likely won't be able to do a longer session. As suggested some time ago, I would say that we start out with getting people together.

Going from there, it might be sensible to gather Turbine Points for a wee bit; 75 are required to get the "Riding" skill from the store (for F2P people that is, subscribers can get that at level 20 for free via a quest). I don't know if there is one best way of doing this, but I guess it would be sensible to have a look at the wiki to find out which quests / deeds (which are comparable to achievements) give decent amount of points. I do know that slaying certain types of enemies can net you some TP pretty quickly, but it certainly won't be enough. Therefore, we should organise some party-based questing goodness to make things go faster (and more fun).

I think the way things are being organised over at the DDO thread should suit us fine. Everyone can enter suggestions for a certain date into the spreadsheet and then people mark the dates they want to join in.

@Xercies: Could you edit post #1 to contain a link to the spreadsheet? That way new readers can directly see how things are done and it would make it easier for all of us to find / access.

Xercies
04-10-2011, 01:45 PM
So finally downloaded and installed it, also got my account migration. Hopefully i'll be on this evening doing the starting quests in Hobbiton.

Taidan
05-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Right, I've found my way to "Volume 1, Book 1" in Bree, and I'll hold here until we're all available and "Ready to Rhumble".

Gerbick
05-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Added everyone on the speadsheet to my friends list. I'm lagging behind somewhat so will put a few hours in and try to reach Bree.

LowKey
05-10-2011, 09:16 PM
yah my burglar is sitting around bree, itching to pick pockets and then promptly stab the owner of said pockets in the back

Gorm
05-10-2011, 11:05 PM
My hunter is around Bree too. If anyone needs armour than can supply me with the skins or wait while i collect some for them.

Rakysh
06-10-2011, 07:18 AM
I'm in bree-land, just working through the quests there. If anyone needs stabby/slashy/smashy implements, I've got a bit of reserve metal I can use, but contributions are always gratefully accepted.

Taidan
06-10-2011, 08:49 AM
If anybody's doing anything with the Jeweller or Woodworker professions, I have a few recipes and a lot of junk to get rid of. If anybody's missing any nice gear for armour slots, I have enough Tailoring materials to make a few bits here and there.

I also have a quite nice Javelin hanging around waiting for a taker, its icon is all purple and everything. (Warden only weapon?)

The only thing I don't like about this F2P thing is the limit on storage, unless you're willing to hand over the cash. That's just hitting me where it hurts. :/

Squiz
06-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I'm around Bree too. I am working on getting my professions up to master level 2 atm, so yes, I would be grateful for jeweler stuff. A big thanks to Rakysh btw for all the materials he gave me. I've got those ingots reserved for you. ;)

So when shall we meet? SOON!, I think. Thinking about getting people together, what do you guys think about forming a Kinship? We need at least 8 members to get one going, but I think we could fill empty slots with alt-accounts. I am going to set one up tonight and start inviting as soon as I can. Name suggestions?

Mine are:
- Rock, Paper, Saruman
- Rock, Paper, Samwise
- Rock, Paper, Silmaril
- Rock, Paper, Shire

Concerning unlocks and TPs in general: I hadn't thought of it before, but apparently, there is an easy way to gather a few TPs right from the start. One of the first quests gives you 10TP for free (apparently easiest to do with a Dwarf alt character, the questgiver is supposed to be right in the starting town). You can do this quest once per server. I don't know how many there are, but it should pretty easily add up to be enough for the riding skill and maybe a basis for the gold cap unlock.

Cheers everyone, hope to see you around soon!

Taidan
06-10-2011, 10:21 AM
- Rock, Paper, Saruman
- Rock, Paper, Shire

I quite liked those two, with a possible riff on Option 1 being Sauron, Smaug or Smeagol.

The whole "Turbine Points" thing is a fascinating meta-game, especially if you're striving for efficiency. At level 15 I'd earned just over 100 of the buggers, which is my riding skill covered. I mainly did that by checking my Deed log and quickly running back and polishing off any Exploration or Slayer Deeds I was close to before leaving for Bree. It didn't take too long, thankfully.

I can see at some point how the "VIP" option might just turn out to be the most efficient and least painful way to go, but I think we're all a long way away from that yet. (Although I'd kill for the bags.) The only fly in that ointment is that I still can't find any information about exactly how much it costs, in UK Pounds.

LowKey
06-10-2011, 11:03 AM
I got a month VIP mainly for the bags and storage, I think it was something like 8 although I think you may be able to get a similar amount of turbine points directly for around 5

Squiz
06-10-2011, 11:07 AM
I think the month of VIP comes with 500 (or 600?) TPs for "free" as well. But no, I won't go there...

Xercies
06-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Damn everyone seems to be at Bree and I haven't started yet...

Gorm
06-10-2011, 01:36 PM
It wont take you long to get there, maybe 2 hours, if you only do the main line quests it will take an even shorter amount of time.

Rakysh
06-10-2011, 03:09 PM
I like Ring, Paper, [S-word] personally. No strong feelings though.

Rakysh
06-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Oh, and I only need bronze now for making lower levels their weapons; iron is now my priority. Bronze can be saved for some of the newer people.

LowKey
06-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I like the Rock Paper Smaug, but I am not too fussed

Squiz
06-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Yes, I also thought about Smaug but it doesn't run off the tongue as nicely. :)

Gorm
06-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Are we going to set a date and time to play together? Hows everyones leveling going?

Squiz
06-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Ok, "Rock Paper Smaug" has been created. Maybe somebody could meet up with me tomorrow evening to get an invite and an officer promotion (players need to be online to be available for an invite). We've got five days to get 8 players into the club before the Kinship is automatically disbanded. I've got some alt-accounts I can log into as soon as the first officer with recruiting rights has joined so this will most likely not be a problem.

I can only be online tomorrow night for the next two weeks, so maybe somebody needs to recreate this if it all fails.

Cheers and good night.

Xercies
07-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Played this yesterday, really surprised that Hobbits start at the Man starting area to be honest. The Shire is probably one of the prettiest and best starting areas and I was a bit disjointedness that I started where Men start. Is there anyway to start in The Shire? Because to me if Hobbits and Men start in Archer and Dwarves start in Dwarfland, only elves really start in The Shire maybe, because otherwise your wasting that whole area since its a low level area. Also it seems weird if Elves go to the Shire and not hobbits lol.

Also realised how really atmospheric and pretty the game was.

Gorm
07-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Nah Elves start in the Grey Havens, on the same map as the dwarf place.

Rakysh
07-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Hobbits start in the shire once they've cleared the opening instance, no fear. Maybe an hour or so's play. And yeah, it's such a pretty game. The chetwood especially made me sit up and say "wow".

LowKey
07-10-2011, 05:36 PM
yah thats right, you'll be enjoying the huge walks around the shire in no time

edit: actually I think the very very beginning of that instance is in the shire, the bit when you see Frodo

Gerbick
07-10-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm in the Kin, but due to unforseen social gatherings I'm out for the next two evenings. I will try to get on and catch up to the rest of you, but Sunday seems to be a more likely time for that. Once in Bree, I'll be free most evenings from 8.30pm GMT.

Squiz
07-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Added a few alt characters, the Kinship is now up to seven people, we need one more to make it permanent. Gerbick and Rakysh can invite others, so everybody can join the Kinship pretty soon.

Have a good time, see you around soon.

Edit: Actually, it would be quite cool if we could get the 8th man in as soon as possible. I am still unsure on how much time we've got before we get disbanded.

Edit Edit: Thanks to Rakysh, we should be safe now. Eight people in the Kinship, woop woop.

Xercies
08-10-2011, 11:58 AM
My character is Bentono by the way if you wanted to send an invite, not to sure how it works anymore...

Rakysh
08-10-2011, 05:31 PM
I've hit 20, and I'm now just waiting there for everyone to catch up.

Gerbick
08-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I've hit 20, and I'm now just waiting there for everyone to catch up.

I'm trying! Should we add a crafting request column on the speadsheet so we can quickly see if there is anything someone needs quickly. (I'm rubbish at remebering which profession needs what).

Rakysh
08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Good shout, and no rush.

Taidan
09-10-2011, 12:37 PM
If anyone's still curious, the "VIP subscription" is 8.99 a month, as we all suspected all along. They also do a 3 month subscription for 6.99/month, or a 6 month subscription for... (wait for it) 6.99/month, all options with the extra 500TPs/month stipend.

Or, you can save yourself an additional 3.90-odd if you take their "limited special offer" and pony up for a whole year in advance. Basically, even if you wanted to throw money at the game there's no advantage at all to paying for more than three months at once.

I had to enter my credit card details to discover this information, as it's very well hidden otherwise. That's not exactly the sort of behaviour that endears me to to somebody I'm considering giving money to.

There's also a "Mithril Edition" out there, which is going for around 18 through Amazon UK, which comes with "The Path of the Fellowship" Questpack, (Trollshaws, Eregion, Moria and Lothlorien) 2000TPs, and a mount.

Technically, it means that if you're determined to keep playing the game, and don't mind paying, the most efficient way to do it is to create every character you're ever going to, subscribe for a month (and cancel instantly), then buy this "Mithril Edition", and save the points up towards the expansions. (2500TPs)

Of course, all of this completely defeats the object of the "free" part of "free to play", but that lot will come in at about 27 and you shouldn't have to hand over any more money for a considerable time to come. That's about average for a PC game, I guess it seems fair. Tempting, tempting...

kingbiscuit
10-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Basically what Taidan said. There's an awful lot to do in this game for a f2p'er, but if you are enjoying it and willing to pay a bit a one month sub is the way to go initially. This not only unlocks a lot of ease of use stuff (bags, swift travel etc) but also trait slots, which become increasingly more important as you progress.

LowKey
10-10-2011, 06:09 PM
gentlemen, the great barrow must be conquered for ADVENTURE

Rakysh
10-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Once we hit 20, I am so there.

Xercies
10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Oh yeah great barrow is huge and very evil! Yay i've actually started in the shire now, I will try to play a bit more tommorow so I can at least get in Bree, but I know myself, i just love to explore the whole land.

Taidan
11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
It's almost time to start thinking about arranging a time and date to do stuff.

I think we have the numbers for a Great Barrows adventure, it's just a case of finding that magical moment when all of our leisure time coincides.

For my part, I'm pretty much free to game on most weekday evenings after 8:30pm-ish, and a lot of weekdays can start a bit earlier. Weekends are hit-and-miss, but any time after 6pm should be good.

LowKey
11-10-2011, 01:09 PM
weekday evenings are certainly the best times for me

Gorm
11-10-2011, 01:18 PM
And my axe

Gerbick
11-10-2011, 05:23 PM
weekday evenings are certainly the best times for me
Ditto. From around 8.30pm too.

kingbiscuit
12-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Yarr, evenings after 8 generally good.

Taidan
14-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Okay, time sorted. Shall we try set a hot date for that first instance?

(ie. shameless bump, to remind people we're still here.)

*edit*

Disregard, just noticed page 2 of The Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?pli=1&key=0AtQcU-aL6_3OdHo2T3lhdEZLYTNBSjJaSmttUjY4eWc&hl=en_US#gid=0).

kingbiscuit
17-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Some of us are still pootling around middle-earth, and we have a few people interested in a barrow run this week. We could probably manage it with the 4 that have signed up, but I'm sure we'd all like to get a full group going, so if you see anyone that hasn't signed up yet in-game, please direct them towards *ominous music* ... The Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?pli=1&key=0AtQcU-aL6_3OdHo2T3lhdEZLYTNBSjJaSmttUjY4eWc&hl=en_US#gid=1)

Utnac
17-10-2011, 01:32 PM
What guys are you all on? I've had a scan through but couldn't see anything?

Taidan
17-10-2011, 01:43 PM
What guys are you all on? I've had a scan through but couldn't see anything?

Laurelin [EN-RP] is the server, if "What server are you guys all on?" is the question.

Copious amounts of caffeine is the answer if "What are all you guys on?" is the question.

Nobody right now, but I'd totally go for John Cusack if I had to pick any one man, if "What guys are you all on?" is indeed the question.

LowKey
17-10-2011, 01:49 PM
caffeine, yes... sweet sweet... caffeine...

Utnac
17-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Laurelin [EN-RP] is the server, if "What server are you guys all on?" is the question.

Copious amounts of caffeine is the answer if "What are all you guys on?" is the question.

Nobody right now, but I'd totally go for John Cusack if I had to pick any one man, if "What guys are you all on?" is indeed the question.

You did correctly guess that server was (one of) the missing words. ;) Thanks. I'm on Gilrain myself unfortunately, and really dont have the motivation to level another character.

Taidan
19-10-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm on Gilrain myself unfortunately, and really dont have the motivation to level another character.

Surely the pleasure of our company is all the motivation you need...? ;)

Xercies
19-10-2011, 05:23 PM
So I'm going to have to say I can't really do this to be honest. i have so much work to do and well I haven't been playing that much of it and well its a bit crazy. But I'm glad there is quite a few people here already so my absence will probably not be felt to much.

Squiz
19-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm back and surprised to see how quickly everyone has progressed during the last 1 1/2 weeks. I'll try to catch up to you guys.

Taidan
19-10-2011, 06:42 PM
It does go very quickly. I'm finding myself wishing we could turn off XP gain, as we're all out-levelling the content way too fast see the higher level quests in any zone.

Apart from that, yeah, we've been having fun. We've yet to actually get any more than four of us on at exactly the same time, (we've had some close calls) but we've been doing a bit of group content. Skirmishes, mainly.

Taidan
21-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Quick update:

As well as being ready for the three "Great Barrows" runs, (Which are scalable between levels 20-75) most of us are approaching the point where we'll want to dive into the "Garth Agarwen" instances in the Lone Lands, which are designed for Fellowships around level 32 and do not scale. (Thus we'll probably want to hang around and get it done properly, before we out-level that one.)

Also, as I learned earlier: Never, ever waste your TPs on a "Respawn Tome". It may seem like a cheap and easy way to avoid a lot of waiting and hassle, if you're questing deep behind 20 minutes' worth of respawns with a small fellowship and you don't want to go through the hassle of having them fight their way out to help you fight your way back in, but there's every chance that a bunch of particularly evil mobs will inexplicably instantly respawn right upon you as you use it and one-shot you back to the death screen.

Grrrrrrr.

Gorm
21-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Should just be a hunter so you can leave the champion behind when things look bad

LowKey
21-10-2011, 07:41 PM
'we can get through this, we just need to keep our heads, are you with me!?... hello?... oh no'

and thus the saga of Loqi ended prematurely, never trust elves

Gerbick
21-10-2011, 08:41 PM
'we can get through this, we just need to keep our heads, are you with me!?... hello?... oh no'

and thus the saga of Loqi ended prematurely, never trust elves

Or those humans. Hobbits, meh, not sure about them either.

Taidan
27-10-2011, 06:20 PM
RE: That issue with the "Respawn Tome", and the wastage of this RMT item due to factors beyond my control;

At the suggestion of one of my comrades-in-arms, I actually raised a ticket over the issue, clearly and politely explaining the circumstances, my mild displeasure at said circumstances, and giving them some constructive suggestions for ways in which they could improve this item so as to avoid potential undesirable outcomes in the future.

Much to my surprise, (after a little bit of too-ing and fro-ing) they actually refunded the spent points (1.25's worth. Almost half a pint!) to my account. Major brownie points to Turbine's customer service, I totally wasn't expecting that. They did make it very clear that this was a one-time deal, and that if I was to suffer any more problems of the nature I was on my own, but still.

It's a very nice gesture from a company that didn't have any obligations to give me anything at all for my horrific suffering, and that counts for quite a bit in my eyes.

Rakysh
29-10-2011, 12:19 PM
That's p awesome. Sorry I haven't been around recently, I have been on holiday. Presumably I am now colossally out levelled?

Gerbick
29-10-2011, 12:27 PM
There seems to be 2 groups - 1 in the mid-30s, the other in the late 20s.

Taidan
30-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah, we've all been taking it reasonably slowly, and even trying to avoid too much XP gain in some cases, it shouldn't be too hard to catch up quickly.

Oh, Except for Loqi, he's been hammering it. ;)

Rakysh
30-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Ace. Well I've POWAH LEVELLED to 28 this morning, and I'll probably be able to hit thirty or so over the next day or two, because I've got Monday off school and nothing to do. I need to get to rivendell fairly soon, as Scholaring has ground to a halt :/.

Taidan
15-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm still alive! (Just been away for a few days.)

Is anyone else still playing, just out of interest?

LowKey
15-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Not for a little while because Skyrim

Squiz
15-11-2011, 09:09 PM
From time to time. I got a little bit outleveled so I tend to hop around the map in search of money and honor.

Gerbick
15-11-2011, 09:24 PM
I've been moving house, but am up-and-running again.

Squiz
24-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Just to pop in and leave a sign of life. Currently, Skyrim is eating up most of my gaming time. I'll get back to this soon. Hope that everyone is fine.

Gerbick
24-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Just me on my lonesome at the mo! Too poor for any new games, so I'll plod along.

Gorm
25-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Started playing Diablo 2 again because i dont have to think when i play that....

smokiespliff
05-12-2011, 01:02 PM
this game is the very reason i have a huge stack of unplayed and unopened games waiting patiently for me to throw LOTRO in the bin...... if anyone is on the Evernight server, give me a shout and we'll go stab some feckers :)

Taidan
05-12-2011, 11:32 PM
On that topic, I will be back at some point soon. Got some serious catching up to do.

Gerbick
06-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Only with me. Nobody else has been on for weeks. Basts! That bloody Skyrim...

Gorm
06-12-2011, 04:27 AM
Yea i got LA Noire

Rakysh
06-12-2011, 07:48 AM
I too feel like making a triumphant return etc at some stage (my Cambridge interview is done now, so I've got a lot more free time).