PDA

View Full Version : RO2: One of you could've played it by now

redox
15-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Red Orchestra 2 has been out over 24hrs now and not one RPS writer has written anything about it. This (advert?) doesn't count - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/14/sound-the-horns-red-orchestra-2-released/

What gives?

Saying that, I've not read a single article about it on any of the major sites?

Rii
15-09-2011, 12:26 AM
I'll take a considered view over rushed impressions myself.

redox
15-09-2011, 12:30 AM
I'll take a considered view over rushed impressions myself.

All they've got to do is play the game and write something about the game.

Rii
15-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Makes you wonder why we're not all gaming journalists.

I agree with you however that if they don't write anything about the game we should totally dock their pay.

Tikey
15-09-2011, 12:42 AM
I didn't play the game. I didn't like that.
I'd like my journalist money now.

redox
15-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Makes you wonder why we're not all gaming journalists.

I agree with you however that if they don't write anything about the game we should totally dock their pay.

Agreed.
Let's not visit RPS for 24hrs and/or if we do, we'll keep our eyes shut so we don't have to see the ads.
Sounds good to me!

I mean, they have been posting about RO2 for a while now - http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sa=X&ei=9klxTvucDc6x8QPJm9iOCA&ved=0CBcQBSgA&q=rock+paper+shotgun+Red+Orchestra+2&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=8b2e04a63471dd02&biw=1440&bih=726

Alex Bakke
15-09-2011, 07:46 AM
All they've got to do is play the game and write something about the game.

No. Consider these things:

- Writing a review takes time and care. It's not just as simple as playing the game and then writing for a bit. It's not unusual for some games to forgo a WIT until the journalist in question has the time to put the effort into it.

- Not everyone on the site may have the time to play the game and write about it; other games are being released, other features need to be completed, and other RPS business is in need of attention. There's also the Eurogamer Expo coming up, which I believe most of RPS are doing stuff at.

John Walker
15-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi redox - as it turns out, we're not your slaves. We've got RO2 covered, and will have a post about it when we're good and ready.

I'd like you to check your attitude, because you're not a lot of fun to read right now.

Grizzly
15-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Red Orchestra 2 has been out over 24hrs now and not one RPS writer has written anything about it.Dues Ex took me 24 hours to finish.

If I would write a review of Red Orchastra 2 and sink enough time into it to give a opionion about it, I would roughly need that much time.

Since Red Orchastra 2 has not been released earlier for those who write reviews (Unlike Deus Ex), in order to be actually be able to START to write a review, I would have to spend the entire day without sleep or food on playing the game.

In other words: your demands are rather unrealistic.

CMaster
15-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey, don't forget how damn fishy it was that RPS didn't cover SPAZ, for several days after someone mentioned it in the comments.

(seriously, that was bizarre. Whole groups of people turning up in the comments claiming it was really suspicious that RPS hadn't get covered an indie game for every single article. Suspicious of what, exactly?)

redox
15-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Hi redox - as it turns out, we're not your slaves. We've got RO2 covered, and will have a post about it when we're good and ready.

I'd like you to check your attitude, because you're not a lot of fun to read right now.

Well for a pc gaming site that's posted several articles on RO2 (all of which I've read) it made me wonder why RPS hasn't posted anything about the game at all?

EOT
16-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Christ. How self-entitled are you? Here's a write-up on the beta (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/06/red-orchestra-2-preview-1/). The game is even more shitty and broken then it was then. Now, read that and deduct 10 imaginary points from its non-existent score.

redox
16-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Christ. How self-entitled are you? Here's a write-up on the beta (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/06/red-orchestra-2-preview-1/). The game is even more shitty and broken then it was then. Now, read that and deduct 10 imaginary points from its non-existent score.

I read Jim's impressions the day it was posted. As for the game being "shitty and broken", it isn't. At least not according to RPS it isn't. They've not even posted an article related to gamers complaints. You know, like they've done for other games.

EOT
16-09-2011, 01:55 PM
So if RPS doesn't say it it isn't true? Some logic there.

redox
16-09-2011, 01:58 PM
So if RPS doesn't say it it isn't true? Some logic there.

I think you're missing the point. Intentionally?

Wolfenswan
16-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Click username. Click view profile. Click ingore all posts. Rescue Kittens.

Nullkigan
16-09-2011, 02:05 PM
I read Jim's impressions the day it was posted. As for the game being "shitty and broken", it isn't. At least not according to RPS it isn't. They've not even posted an article related to gamers complaints. You know, like they've done for other games.

The game was considerably more stable and better performing for the first phase of the preorder beta... at least, that's how it was for me. Part of this will have been that the first set of maps we got to test were not that complex.

measurements
16-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure if there's a thing that can happen when you're wrong where, rather than capitulate and show weakness, you just dig your feet in and refuse to accept even a chink in the armour of your argument.

I've never felt the requirement of validation from a journalist to enjoy or dislike any given media-text, be it film or game or portrait gallery.

I sincerely think that you should author your own review, Redox.

cairbre
16-09-2011, 08:56 PM
And what about Men of War Vietnam

Nullkigan
16-09-2011, 09:06 PM
And what about Men of War Vietnam

I know I'm not the hivemind, but I figure I can point out a few issues with MOW:V all the same.

It's Red Tide all over again (same dev team, even). Limited (practically no) multiplayer, which you have to pay to unlock. Uses the buggier, pre-Assault Squad Engine. Units are reskins; the m16 and ak47 are SMGs, whilst the M14 is a rifle and thus high volume fully automatic brushfire engagements are rare. Has only a half dozen maps (only three of which are enabled for competetive multiplayer), but they are at least large and detailed. A dozen different missions, but they're all in the vein of "here are four dudes, go do covert ops stuff, don't get killed", which are really hard as has already been commented on by RPS. Soundtrack is occasionally Faux Vietnam War (i.e. a few butt rock imitations of 60s music) but primarily focused on the NVA side instead and thus generically "oriental". Voice acting is as bad as ever.

The worst bits?

You can't use the choppers, there is no napalm strike option and there are no missions where you control a large combat force.

Basically, it's a mod designed for enthusiasts of the Commandos series of games but sold for a higher price than Assault Squad.

cairbre
16-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks man I think I will hold on to my cash so. I did really like the improvements in assault squad very disapointed hear they went back to the old engine. Doesnt make sense to me. I had high hopes I have to say and I wanted to see how the choppers would work.

Nullkigan
16-09-2011, 10:16 PM
There are actually two teams working on the series. One produced Red Tide/Vietnam, the other FOW/MOW/Assault Squad.

Assault squad lacks the singleplayer content and mission variety of the original MOW, but makes up for it with a new engine, better visuals and meatier multiplayer. Vietnam is the exact opposite direction, but at the further expense of the big defence missions.

Kind of sad, really :(

cairbre
16-09-2011, 10:35 PM
I really like assault squad but I agree a few different types of missions would have been nice

GraveyardJimmy
16-09-2011, 11:32 PM
There are actually two teams working on the series. One produced Red Tide/Vietnam, the other FOW/MOW/Assault Squad.

From what I've read its a little more complex than that, since there is DMS, Best way and an inhouse development team.

Best way worked on Men of war, faces of war, soldiers: heroes of WW2. Red tide was a partnership between best way and DMS, Vietnam uses an "in house 1c team". Its all a bit confusing and I am sure employees have changed companies too.

But since there is more than one version of the GEM engine and more than one development team working on the series (and there is another game in the works the name of which escapes me) you are right, both teams have different focusses and use different versions of the engine.

Still enjoying all of the series so far (apart from vietnam, which I havent played yet).

Alex Bakke
16-09-2011, 11:40 PM
The original Men of War was also a partnership between Best Way and DMS.

redox
17-09-2011, 01:47 AM
I'm not sure if there's a thing that can happen when you're wrong where, rather than capitulate and show weakness, you just dig your feet in and refuse to accept even a chink in the armour of your argument.

I've never felt the requirement of validation from a journalist to enjoy or dislike any given media-text, be it film or game or portrait gallery.

I sincerely think that you should author your own review, Redox.

You're also missing the point.

Did you not read any RPS articles related to From Dust recently?

From Dust was released on Steam on the 17th August.

18th August - RPS post - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/18/from-dust-does-need-online-badly-ported/

The same day (18th August) - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/18/ubisoft-edits-forum-keeps-from-dust-drm/

Criticism ^

Red Orchestra 2 was released on Steam on the 13th September.

14th September - RPS post - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/14/sound-the-horns-red-orchestra-2-released/

Advert ^

Nothing else since...

Grizzly
17-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Red Orchastra 2 is not a singleplayer game that required always online DRM, when it was suggested that it needed one-time activation. That's a bloody big difference.

'tis also not an advert. It simply told us the game was released (they did the same with ... any other game they've paid some attention to). As RPS's job is to tell us what goes on in the game world, that is simply an announcement, not an advert.

redox
17-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Red Orchastra 2 is not a singleplayer game that required always online DRM, when it was suggested that it needed one-time activation. That's a bloody big difference.

'tis also not an advert. It simply told us the game was released (they did the same with ... any other game they've paid some attention to). As RPS's job is to tell us what goes on in the game world, that is simply an announcement, not an advert.

From the same article -

"And then, the struggle to get the game to play (there are myriad issues being reported with the game, especially the menu screen’s not loading which I experienced on one launch) isn’t rewarded by a proper port. The first thing to notice is that the game is capped at 30fps. With PCs offering four times that, being locked off at a crappy console limit is good evidence of how little effort has gone into the PC version. Worse is the lack of options. Yes, it can be run in a window (for some reason not at the largest resolutions though), but beyond that you’re on your own. Anti-aliasing? No chance. The game is made of staircases on a machine that could be making it look beautiful. So what were they doing during the eleventh hour delay?" http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/18/from-dust-does-need-online-badly-ported/

Grizzly
17-09-2011, 07:31 PM
What is this? Outright lying? Complete disarray at the company so no one knows what’s going on? One maverick employee posting nonsense on the forum? Whatever it is, customers are being deceived and buying a product that comes with inherent flaws they’ve claimed wouldn’t be there. Which is absolutely unacceptable.

Not really the case with RO2. I still do not understand why you DEMAND ACTION NOW. What exactly is wrong with RO2 anyway?

Nullkigan
17-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Server updated.

redox
18-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Red Orchestra 2 ad taken off the front page of RPS? It's still on the forum page though.

Anyone else getting this?

redox
18-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Not really the case with RO2. I still do not understand why you DEMAND ACTION NOW. What exactly is wrong with RO2 anyway?

If there are problems with Red Orchestra 2, I'm pretty sure that RPS would let us know right?
All they've posted so far is this (14th September) - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/14/sound-the-horns-red-orchestra-2-released/, so I'm guessing the game is perfectly fine.

All the comments on the Steam and Tripwire forums are probably from trolls right? Those trolls are probably the same ones that've been posting negative reviews on Metacritic too.

Yeah, that last bit about Steam, Tripwire and Metacritic was made up. If gamers were unhappy about a game, I'm sure RPS would've posted about it?

Portal 2 was released on Steam on 19th April.

RPS posted this on the same day - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/19/lets-address-some-portal-2-nonsense/

Criticism of both gamers and developer ^

Grizzly
18-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Red Orchestra 2 ad taken off the front page of RPS? It's still on the forum page though.

RPS does not control the ads that are displayed anywhere. The advertising on RPS is done by a seperate company (similar to when you place a google ad bar on your site).

All the comments on the Steam and Tripwire forums are probably from trolls right? Those trolls are probably the same ones that've been posting negative reviews on Metacritic too.

Yeah, that last bit about Steam, Tripwire and Metacritic was made up. If gamers were unhappy about a game, I'm sure RPS would've posted about it?You are not making sense to me. Gamers are always unhappy. About everything. RPS only posts about it when they think it is completely unjustified (As with Portal and Crysis), or completely justified (From Dust DRM). I am not really seeing a massive outrage on Red Orchastra 2 (Metacritic user reviews? The game is doing quite well for those. Portal 2 scored lower because of a massive internet rage attack).

I still do not understand why you DEMAND AN OPINION. Those RPS guys can state their opinion whenever they please. You obviously seem to think that because they are not done yet it appears to prove... something. State what that is, please. Straight.

Rii
18-09-2011, 12:11 PM
RPS does not control the ads that are displayed anywhere. The advertising on rps is done by a seperate company (similar to when you place a google ad bar on your site).

So they claim

GraveyardJimmy
18-09-2011, 12:18 PM
So they claim

IIRC its done by eurogamer. They can complain about ads they do not like but they dont have full control.

As for redox (who reminds me a lot of WASD), they have already said they will post an opinion piece when they are ready. Not everything has to be done instantly and often pieces come out later after they have had time to play enough to gather an opinion.

Rii
18-09-2011, 12:33 PM
IIRC its done by eurogamer. They can complain about ads they do not like but they dont have full control.

Yes that was meant to be read in sarcastic conspiracy tone of voice. Probably would've helped if the board allowed all caps posts. xD

redox
18-09-2011, 01:33 PM
I still do not understand why you DEMAND AN OPINION. Those RPS guys can state their opinion whenever they please. You obviously seem to think that because they are not done yet it appears to prove... something. State what that is, please. Straight.

RPS have posted several articles related to RO2 - http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sa=X&ei=9klxTvucDc6x8QPJm9iOCA&ved=0CBcQBSgA&q=rock+paper+shotgun+Red+Orchestra+2&spell=1&fp=1&biw=1440&bih=726&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&cad=b

So why haven't they posted anything about the game since it's release?

To borrow a quote from their From Dust article "there are myriad issues being reported with the game".

Grizzly
18-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Enough with the Geert Wilders mode, enlighten me, and compare to From Dust.

redox
21-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Jim Rossignol - "Those that can get away with smoother experiences, however, are feeling much happier. (I am one of those. My tech troubles have been limited to some jitters with the browser. and a single crash in the beta)" http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/21/review-red-orchestra-2/

That may have something to do with the 5+(?) patches that the game has had since the 13th Jim.

"Last week’s launch of Red Orchestra 2: Heroes Of Stalingrad (http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/) was a troubled one. With a seemingly overwhelming number of players reporting bugs and performance issues, it stumbled into commercial release still reeling from the flashbangs of development."

You heard about that did you? I didn't read anything about it on RPS last week when the game was released.

Ah well, at least the games running pretty well for you now right?

Kodeen
21-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Selective reading to confirm conspiracy theories for the win. He also said "Itís unacceptable when games turn up like this".

redox
21-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Selective reading to confirm conspiracy theories for the win. He also said "It’s unacceptable when games turn up like this".

Something that any one of the RPS staff could've posted last week. You know, when the game was released.

Jams O'Donnell
21-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Something that any one of the RPS staff could've posted last week. You know, when the game was released.
Because they all have an infinite amount of time? I'm sure they were all assigned to various tasks. Since Rossignol is Mr. Military Manshoot, and seems to have already been assigned to RO2, why would anyone else step in? It's not simply a matter of saying "Oh dear this game seems a bit buggy right now" -- an experienced journalist would not merely repeat what's been said elsewhere but would have to take the time to research the issue for themselves before reporting on it.

Rossignol
21-09-2011, 09:07 PM
OK, that's enough now, Redox. You're being incredibly tedious and spectacularly stupid. Give it up.

Smashbox
21-09-2011, 11:02 PM

http://screencrave.frsucrave.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Scarface_4.jpg

Berzee
23-09-2011, 07:20 PM
OK, that's enough now, Redox. You're being incredibly tedious and spectacularly stupid. Give it up.

You could have replied like this a week ago when he started posting, but no, you waited so long that I lost all trust. There it goes...

Daiv
24-09-2011, 02:49 PM
I dub him a Hate Sphere, like WASD and FLBR before him. One subject, utter negativity, repeated ad infinitum. The only solution is an Aperture Science Emergency Intelligence Incinerator.

redox
25-09-2011, 01:35 AM

Hey Jim, what do you think of this? - http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=65724

You know, as you didn't think the game looked that good to begin with?

"The game does not, I think, look as good as it could do, with plenty of muddy textures and odd bits of level design." http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/21/review-red-orchestra-2/

In your opinion, have Tripwire improved Red Orchestra 2 by removing environmental details, or are you going to keep quiet about this until they sort it out?

Before you comment though, let me remind you that you still have ads for Red Orchestra 2 on the site. Not sure if this will affect your opinion, though based on the fact that nobody from RPS commented on the release of Red Orchestra 2, leads me to believe that it could/almost definitely will.

TheRed
25-09-2011, 01:46 AM
'Shut up'.

user_D
25-09-2011, 04:35 PM
There's not really a chance that anyone will be unhappy with RO2 in the long run. It's certainly not comparable to an unknown quantity like From Dust or stealth DRM. Nobody wants to read "TRIPWIRE reduces graphical fidelity in order to improve performance SHOCKER!" on RPS, and nobody wants to read any more redox posts complaining about this. Your whole "ads corruption" argument fails because there is no post worthy story. Grow up.

Nullkigan
25-09-2011, 06:10 PM
There's not really a chance that anyone will be unhappy with RO2 in the long run. It's certainly not comparable to an unknown quantity like From Dust or stealth DRM. Nobody wants to read "TRIPWIRE reduces graphical fidelity in order to improve performance SHOCKER!" on RPS, and nobody wants to read any more redox posts complaining about this. Your whole "ads corruption" argument fails because there is no post worthy story. Grow up.

This can be wrong, but only because you're focused on the graphical aspect.

I get increasingly unahppy with online competetive shooters as other people get better at them. I'm pretty shit and only have fun when the other team are at my level of incompetence, I have no patience for being sniped across a map five hundred times over. As this casual crowd leaves (usually after the first month) I find I have less and less fun until I eventually give up playing (except for special occasions, where I do horribly). There are already a terrible amount of people who are basically biological aimbots with the mp40 and MKB...

sinister agent
25-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Hey jim what do you think about this (http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k497/animalsbeingdicks/animalsbeingdicks/abd-53.gif)?

You could have commented on this pressing issue weeks ago. Before you reply, I should point out that you once wrote for a website with google ads, and therefore if you don't comment then you must be google's obedient mind-slave robot.

jp0249107
26-09-2011, 04:36 AM
something tells me that RO2 is the perfect storm of old players from the original who get pissy because there's "not enough sway", and new people who are biding their time until MW3. Metacritic user reviews tend to get run over by masses of people who have a problem with one aspect of the game and rate it a one because of that. Heck if I would have listened to all the one star reviews of Mass Effect I wouldn't have bought it and missed out on a great experience, all because some trolls got their pubescent hackles raised about some DRM or the other that wasn't even a story.

I'm willing to forgive TW for some bugs and optimization problems when they release multiple patches to fix the problem instead of denying the whole time. Heck I was in the beta and that Ramm guy (I think he's the prez) came into the server to ask everyone how things were going. Lo and behold a couple of trolls would flood the chat with "WHY U NO OPTIMIZE?". I've noticed to forums tend to magnify the voices of the minority, just like with Eve Online where visiting the forums is like visiting SA or /b/.

zeekthegeek
26-09-2011, 07:35 AM
jp- have you ever actually been to SA? Aside from some areas designated as places to goof off, the entire site is pretty well reasoned and has some of the best threads on games in existence.